Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

OU Freshman RB Joe Mixon

Started by The_Iceman, July 25, 2014, 04:02:13 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

The_Iceman

At one time was considering Arkansas. Rumor is he is going to be dismissed from the team for hitting a woman.

So, Bob Stoops will give DGB a second chance, but won't give his own player one? It all seems hypocritical to me. The rule should be: You hit a woman, and you are done playing NCAA football!

hoghiker

Quote from: The_Iceman on July 25, 2014, 04:02:13 pm
At one time was considering Arkansas. Rumor is he is going to be dismissed from the team for hitting a woman.

So, Bob Stoops will give DGB a second chance, but won't give his own player one? It all seems hypocritical to me. The rule should be: You hit a woman, and you are done playing NCAA football!
Must have been Bob's Wife. Kidding. Does seem like a double standard.

FrozenHam

I don't have a Twitter account, so I'm unable to confirm the validity of these posts I found at  http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=146&f=2445&t=13009936 , but Google has suggested that Guerin Emig is an OU football beat writer for the Tulsa World http://www.tulsaworld.com/staff/guerinemig/

"@GuerinEmig: Norman PD confirms response to alleged aggravated assault at Campus Corner Picklemans around 2:40 a.m. No arrests. Investigation underway."

"@GuerinEmig: Norman Police would not confirm whether they had suspects, let alone ID any. Did confirm aggravated assault charge would be a felony."

Guerin Emig ‏@GuerinEmig 38s
OU spokesman in email, regarding the incident and involvement of any fb players: "We are aware of the matter and is under internal review"

Pickwick Hog

Lots of coaches in the "people helping" business these days...depending upon depth chart needs.
Negative people need drama like oxygen. Stay positive and take their breath away.

Nipsey Mussle

I agree, these guys need what they haven't gotten at all in their lives: consequences.

Still, I will say it's easier to justify taking a player who screwed up elsewhere than keeping one who screwed up on your team. Doesn't make it right, it's just so.

The Boar War

Quote from: hoghiker on July 25, 2014, 04:13:03 pm
Must have been Bob's Wife. Kidding. Does seem like a double standard.

It's the same reason Louisville or WKU can hire Petrino but we can't.

razorbacker3

The girl won't file charges or she will drop them if already filed. That's how they justified DGB.

onebadrubi

If he did this on campus, the campus people have to hold precedence for just regular students.  Nothing against OU letting in a guy that hit a girl on Mizzou campus.  While it looks bad, I could see the crack in the system that might make this a viable situation.  Glad its OU thought!

JIHawg

Gus must be licking his chops.

redeye

I don't know all the details with DGB's dismissal, but I still think there's an important distinction.  It seems like many coaches are willing to give second chances to players from other schools, but won't do the same with their own.  The thinking is probably that it's more likely to have an affect on the kid, if he's forced to switch schools.  In other words, he's running out of chances faster.

If Stoops had given Mixon a 2nd chance, he may have received a 3rd from another school later, because that school may have viewed it as his 2nd.  But if he goes somewhere else and it happens again, it's probably unlikely that any BCS school is going to give him a 3rd chance, because he's tainted goods at this point.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: razorbacker3 on July 25, 2014, 04:36:27 pm
The girl won't file charges or she will drop them if already filed. That's how they justified DGB.

The state files the charges in Aggravated Assault, Right..?
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

ricepig

Mixon suspended for 1 year.

Schad:OU announces RB Joe Mixon suspended for season

greenie

Quote from: ricepig on August 18, 2014, 04:03:10 pm
Mixon suspended for 1 year.

Schad:OU announces RB Joe Mixon suspended for season

Will be interesting to see if he hangs on for a year at OU.  I don't believe that he'll be allowed to be a part of team activities at all.  No weight lifting, team meetings, etc.  And...I think he's still got legal issues that may take some time to resolve.