Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Defensive Coordinator Question

Started by Dwight_K_Shrute, July 25, 2014, 02:51:29 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Dwight_K_Shrute

Two parter:

Does anyone know if Robb Smith will coach from the box or sideline?

What is your preference for a DC?  Do you think it's better to have him on the sideline or in the box?
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

pigture perfect

I don't know where he will coach from. I prefer to coach from the sidelines. If the DC is on the sidelines he can get the proper play to the players quicker. Especially when you play against the more hurried offenses. You have to decide on the fly and often can't get the call down quick eneough.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: pigture perfect on July 25, 2014, 03:22:40 pm
I don't know where he will coach from. I prefer to coach from the sidelines. If the DC is on the sidelines he can get the proper play to the players quicker. Especially when you play against the more hurried offenses. You have to decide on the fly and often can't get the call down quick eneough.

I prefer sideline as well, but didn't even think about the HUNH implications. 
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

SPAL

I like him up in the box. He sees better, can make adjustments, and can have a better overall picture of what is going on. You have position coaches on the sideline for coaching.

But I can totally get behind pigture perfect's reasoning. That makes sense as well .

HOGINTENNESSEE

I prefer OC's to be in the box. They can get a much better ideas of how the D is trying to defend each formation.

For DC with today's tempo offense I think they have to be on the sideline to get the calls in ASAP.

1highhog

DC on the sideline, I hope Smith is an in your face type DC that will get his players attention, but yet has that same type of relationship with his players that they would bust through a wall for him.

Wildhog

Quote from: pigture perfect on July 25, 2014, 03:22:40 pm

Great post.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

VBRazorback

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on July 25, 2014, 03:32:45 pm
I like him up in the box. He sees better, can make adjustments, and can have a better overall picture of what is going on. You have position coaches on the sideline for coaching.

But I can totally get behind pigture perfect's reasoning. That makes sense as well .

I agree with you.  I prefer coach from the box but I can also see the benefit of being on the field.

Pickwick Hog

July 25, 2014, 04:06:28 pm #8 Last Edit: July 25, 2014, 04:20:39 pm by Pickwick Hog
Wherever he feels more effective. 

Meaning, if Smith can't get the job done where he's most comfortable, I don't see a change of address working for him either.
Negative people need drama like oxygen. Stay positive and take their breath away.

Tim Harris

If I'm not mistaken he said he has always been a sideline guy but can be in the box if that is needed.

The thing then comes down to who do you put up in the box if he is on the sidelines. Usually it would be someone that you have experience with and trust. As far as I know he has never worked with any of our assistants prior to this stop.

ricepig

Both, we need a zip line from the press box so he can chew out when necessary.

jusgtohogs

Quote from: Pickwick Hog on July 25, 2014, 04:06:28 pm

Meaning, if Smith can't get the job done where he's most comfortable, I don't see a change of address working for him either.

This ^^^^^

rude1

Quote from: Pickwick Hog on July 25, 2014, 04:06:28 pm

My thinking also. It's not a one size fits all type of thing. Some guys like up in the box so they can see what's going on over the whole field, other guys like on the sidelines where they can communicate with their players and get a better feel for what the offense is doing. Wherever a guy is most comfortable with and has his best success is where he needs to be.

Piggfoot

The Box. The DC has a better view from there and can relay the the information to a field assistant via electrical wiring at 186,000 miles per second who in turn can relay the signal to the players at the speed of light.
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

Wildhog

Quote from: Piggfoot on July 25, 2014, 04:40:40 pm
The Box. The DC has a better view from there and can relay the the information to a field assistant via electrical wiring at 186,000 miles per second who in turn can relay the signal to the players at the speed of light.

So it takes an additional person to call the play.  Pigture Perfect made a solid point.  Plus, mis-communication happens all the time.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

pigture perfect

Quote from: Tim Harris on July 25, 2014, 04:17:24 pm

The thing then comes down to who do you put up in the box if he is on the sidelines. Usually it would be someone that you have experience with and trust.

If it were me, I would put the coach of the secondary up in the box. That's where you are most vulnerable to the big play. The line and linebacker coaches pretty much know where there guys need to line up and their assignments. The secondary coach is responsible for a bigger part of the field.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

Bacon_Bitz

you can't light a fire under someone's arse unless you're coaching from the sideline.

chitwnhog

If I'm not mistaken he said he has always been a sideline guy but can be in the box if that is needed.

The thing then comes down to who do you put up in the box if he is on the sidelines. Usually it would be someone that you have experience with and trust. As far as I know he has never worked with any of our assistants prior to this stop.

This is what I was thinking. DC's on the sideline would have to have a rapport with and trust the person in the booth to tell him what the offense is doing. Hopefully that will work out for us.

East TN HAWG

Smith has the luxury of having Randy Shannon.  I bet he Is on the field with Shannon in box. 

Steef

Quote from: 1highhog on July 25, 2014, 03:57:55 pm
DC on the sideline, I hope Smith is an in your face type DC that will get his players attention, but yet has that same type of relationship with his players that they would bust through a wall for him.

I would go with this. But I'm not a coach, so I'm just guessing.

jabohog

I think he and Shannon have worked together. They are definitely from the same tree. If he goes sideline, I expect Shannon in the box.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on July 25, 2014, 02:51:29 pm
Two parter:

What is your preference for a DC?  Do you think it's better to have him on the sideline or in the box?

I think it is better to have the Coordinators on both sides of the ball up in the box. It offers a better overall view of how your opponent reacts to either offensive or defensive formations.

As far as playing against the HUNH teams, they have their tendencies by down, distance, field position and the alignment that they face in any given situation just like anyone else. It may require greater preparation in film study and charting plays vs. various alignments in advance, but a good DC can figure out how to scheme a defense to counteract these guys. Given their penchance for wanting to rush to the LOS and set up and then look to the sideline for a play, it just requires playing a chess match where you show one thing on defense, to get the offense to be lured into doing "that", and then shifting and playing disciplined assignment after they have gone to "set". It really is a chess match more so these days, than any time previous when it comes to defending the HUNH.
Go Hogs Go!

HogFanatic

It just depends on the type of coach the guy is. If he is a hands on guy, a DC should be on the field.

It isn't nearly as important for the DC to be in the box as it is the OC, IMO. The offense pretty much all lines up at the LOS. The defense will line up 20 yards deep, making it much more difficult to see what is going on in quick order.

And if I'm not mistaken, Smith is a sideline guy.

MissippHog

Two parter:

I thought one of Smith's selling points is he coached outside the box?

WorfHog

Smith was very animated at the open practices and the Spring game. Meanwhile Shannon stands back and watches, I bet Smith will be on the field with Shannon in the box.

chitwnhog

Quote from: jabohog on July 25, 2014, 06:11:02 pm
I think he and Shannon have worked together. They are definitely from the same tree. If he goes sideline, I expect Shannon in the box.

This makes so much sense.

Hoggish1

Quote from: 1highhog on July 25, 2014, 03:57:55 pm

^!

I would want both coordinators on the field.  They should both be able to find an assistant that could handle the box.  Our Kids need the attention of authority and teaching on the field.  BB acts like he is totally aside from the team when coaching and I believe we need someone besides young assistants or grad assistants relaying the messages to the players.

Piggfoot

Quote from: Wildhog on July 25, 2014, 04:41:43 pm
So it takes an additional person to call the play.  Pigture Perfect made a solid point.  Plus, mis-communication happens all the time.

No it does not take an additional person to call the play. The thought process should be with the DC. Who relays instructions to the appropriate people. He should be the one with an overall viewpoint of what is going on. He is the coordinator and he should do the job. He should be able to clearly see what is before him. Rather than receiving information from someone else, possibly a position coach or worse a GA. Position coaches and GA's should be the ones in the players faces.
If Bielema and Shannon are the main hogs then they should be receiving information from him and doing the relay. Same with the OC.
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: Piggfoot on July 25, 2014, 08:47:19 pm
No it does not take an additional person to call the play. The thought process should be with the DC. Who relays instructions to the appropriate people. He should be the one with an overall viewpoint of what is going on. He is the coordinator and he should do the job. He should be able to clearly see what is before him. Rather than receiving information from someone else, possibly a position coach or worse a GA. Position coaches and GA's should be the ones in the players faces.
If Bielema and Shannon are the main hogs then they should be receiving information from him and doing the relay. Same with the OC.

Most teams now use multiple ppl to signal in plays.

Calling All Hogs

Might be best for Robb to be on the sideline first game considering the history of headset problems opposing teams seem to have at Jordan-Hare Stadium.

onebadrubi

Quote from: Calling All Hogs on July 25, 2014, 11:21:41 pm
Might be best for Robb to be on the sideline first game considering the history of headset problems opposing teams seem to have at Jordan-Hare Stadium.

Your not implying that... No you wouldn't be implying that auburn would... No that just wouldn't be right.  They are of the upmost sportsmans of the conference.

SamBuckhart

I think we could all agree that we want the best end result .No matter where they stand. I believe OC in the box and DC on the field.
BE TRUE TO YOUR SCHOOL. THE UNIVERSITY OF ARKANSAS!!!  WOOO PIG!!!

Hawgzinbowlz

I think Coach Smith said he preferred the sideline and he was also capable of coaching from the box. Coach Smith from the sideline and Coach Shannon from the box would be my choice, without knowing any other internal information.
DC from the sideline and the OC from where ever suits him.
CBB from the optimum location to mastermind wins.

" GO HOGS "

tusksincolorado

Quote from: onebadrubi on July 26, 2014, 01:03:55 am
Your not implying that... No you wouldn't be implying that auburn would... No that just wouldn't be right.  They are of the upmost sportsmans of the conference.

The Puritans of The SEC.
Screw it! I'm an old angry male, live with it!

Mike_e

Sideline.

The time for position coaching is done for the week at kickoff.  If there is any that needs to be done in-game then it should be at halftime, during play is no time for the confusion of learning new things from your coach; you have enough on your plate learning from experience.

Another reason is more of the same on cutting down on confusion.  They are supposed to be the next best thing to your head coach and next best at keeping things running smoothly.  Confusion will kill you as dead as speed.

Another reason is that when people who are not firmly attached to their convictions (young people) need leading, they need to be led from the front.  Not from a box.

Recognizing what the other team is doing should be well within any coach on the teams skill set. Being able to communicate what is going on should be too.   If we have to have the DC or OC in the box to get this accomplished then we have some serious issues in the staff.
The best "one thing" for a happy life?
Just be the best person that you can manage.  Right Now!

Cinco de Hogo

On the sideline IF he is a motivator type coach.  Otherwise either way can work.

Quickdraw

I don't think it really matters if he is on the side line or in the box. He has Randy Shannon on the side line or he can put Randy in the box. Either way he has a Veteran coach who's analyses is highly respected to work with.

MuskogeeHogFan

Two parter:

There is this:

Up or down? That's always been the question for college football coordinators, especially defensive coordinators. Should they call the game from the press box or the sidelines?

It's not just about sight lines, either.

"It's really just about your comfort level,'' Ash said, "being in an environment where you can think calmly, you can make adjustments, and you can take notes, things like that.''

"Being on the sidelines, you're part of the action and I will miss that.

"But when I'm calling the defense, I don't want to get caught up in all of that. I want to be thinking about the next play and the next series and the adjustments.

"When you're on the sidelines, you really have to have poise not to get caught up in the action.

http://www.uwbadgers.com/blog/2011/08/lucas-at-large-as-coordinator-ash-heads-back-upstairs.html

;)
Go Hogs Go!

PonderinHog

Do the opposite of whatever we did last year.

nchogg

Quote from: onebadrubi on July 26, 2014, 01:03:55 am
Thats wrong implying that. Just because auby has delayed injuries where a player just falls to the ground (which was very bad acting) just like me implying the player falling ro the ground was bad acting. But replays don't lie. I'am ashamed of myself.

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: PonderinHog on July 27, 2014, 08:59:47 am
Do the opposite of whatever we did last year.

HaHa, I was thinking going by last years results. Ash must have had a former volleyball player in the room with him. 

Inhogswetrust

Wow I didn't realize we had so many great coaches on here posting........................No wait................never mind.

Now if someone knows how BB wants it now versus before and how our new coaches like it and have done things in the past so we'll know what to expect then I think it is a very good question.

That being said I understand why the question was poised and all but let's just let the coaches do their job the way they see fit and hope for the best.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

PonderinHog

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on July 27, 2014, 09:12:29 am
Wow I didn't realize we had so many great coaches on here posting........................No wait................never mind.

Now if someone knows how BB wants it now versus before and how our new coaches have done things in the past so we'll know what to expect then I think it is a very good question.

That being said I understand why the question was poised and all but let's just let the coaches do their job the way they see fit and hope for the best.
I appreciate questions with poise...

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on July 27, 2014, 09:12:29 am

Now if someone knows how BB wants it now versus before and how our new coaches have done things in the past so we'll know what to expect then I think it is a very good question.

Well it was a football question so it does fall within Lanny's guidelines.  What's wrong with opinions we all have them?

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: PonderinHog on July 27, 2014, 09:15:53 am
I appreciate questions with poise...

Ha ha! Nice catch. Obviously you realize spellcheck didn't work in this instance.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on July 27, 2014, 09:19:25 am
Well it was a football question so it does fall within Lanny's guidelines.  What's wrong with opinions we all have them?

I DO like the fact people are getting excited about the season getting closer. I also detect a touch of angst and nervousness in some postings lately though. I think it is kind of a fear of the unknown type of thing. That is all I meant. Nothing bad intended but the way I worded it I can see how why you would question that.

PonderinHog

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on July 27, 2014, 09:22:08 am
Ha ha! Nice catch. Obviously you realize spellcheck didn't work in this instance.
When spellcheck starts correcting context the machines will have truly taken over.   :o

ricepig

Quote from: PonderinHog on July 27, 2014, 09:25:40 am
When spellcheck starts correcting context the machines will have truly taken over.   :o

You mean you come up with your shtick on your own?

IBleedRazorbackRed

I don't care if it's the dc or another defensive coach, but I want a muschamp type defensive coach on the sidelines. Someone to get excited with the kids. Meet them out on the field jumping around with them after a big play. But also chew their ass a little when they mess up. Motivation through excitement