Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Morning Rush or Sports Wrap?

Started by Oklahoma Diamond Hog, July 25, 2014, 02:07:21 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Oklahoma Diamond Hog

In my opinion Derrick Ruskin, Tommy Craft and Clint Stoerner are a much better show in the morning. Aaron fuller seems to run circles around Nick Mason in the afternoons with knowledge and solid opinion. I know Nick is still really young, but it is hard to not yearn for a better host to listen to. Opinions?

Hogpkins

They're both good shows who really try to broadcast a quality product. Unlike a lot of other local sports radio shows, they don't just show up and wing it. You can tell they prepare each day.

Other positives about Morning Rush include Ruskin brings a lot of enthusiasm and they stay focused on Razorbacks. They do give a lot of time to Oaklawn during track season, but that's understandable since their main area is on that side of the state. They do a good job of staying up on Razorback stuff. Tommy Craft is a pretty good speaker but he just says canned stuff, IMO. He always plays it safe and sticks to the middle of the road. A bit boring but that's fine because Ruskin  and Stoerner bring it.

I think Bo is hands-down the best show, though. 

A close second best is Game On with Wes Moore, Michael Smith, and Mike Irwin. They all three bring it every day. We only get an hour of the show here in NWA but it's the noon hour so I always try to catch as much as I can.

I'd probably put Morning Rush as third best.

Wildhog

As far as morning shows, is The Show with No Name dead yet?  It's seriously the worst show I've ever heard.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

SPAL

Quote from: Wildhog on July 25, 2014, 02:21:17 pm
As far as morning shows, is The Show with No Name dead yet?  It's seriously the worst show I've ever heard.

You mean you don't enjoy listening to an old dude talk about his bowel habits after a bowl of chili?

Wildhog

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on July 25, 2014, 02:34:46 pm
You mean you don't enjoy listening to an old dude talk about his bowel habits after a bowl of chili?

Apparently my issues don't allow me this joy.
1909/1964/1965/1977

OLDHOG

Quote from: Shoatysmalls on July 25, 2014, 02:14:52 pm
They're both good shows who really try to broadcast a quality product. Unlike a lot of other local sports radio shows, they don't just show up and wing it. You can tell they prepare each day.

Other positives about Morning Rush include Ruskin brings a lot of enthusiasm and they stay focused on Razorbacks. They do give a lot of time to Oaklawn during track season, but that's understandable since their main area is on that side of the state. They do a good job of staying up on Razorback stuff. Tommy Craft is a pretty good speaker but he just says canned stuff, IMO. He always plays it safe and sticks to the middle of the road. A bit boring but that's fine because Ruskin  and Stoerner bring it.

I think Bo is hands-down the best show, though. 

A close second best is Game On with Wes Moore, Michael Smith, and Mike Irwin. They all three bring it every day. We only get an hour of the show here in NWA but it's the noon hour so I always try to catch as much as I can.

I'd probably put Morning Rush as third best.
A distant third, IMHO.

Dwight_K_Shrute

Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

OLDHOG

Yea, it really is. Tommy Smith talking about boobs and the baz giggling like a school girl. It's pitiful as far as sports goes.

1highhog

Quote from: OLDHOG on July 25, 2014, 03:00:06 pm
Yea, it really is. Tommy Smith talking about boobs and the baz giggling like a school girl. It's pitiful as far as sports goes.

I quit listening to that years ago, hoping one day Id tune in and there would be an early morning sports show in that time slot, to my dismay, the first thing I heard was a familiar uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, which I immediately knew was one of Tommy Smiths long pauses when he fails to have anything to say.

What's the name of the show that has Matt Jones on it?

sportster365

I've never listened to sports rap, but I'm glad you mentioned it. Now that I'm aware of it, I'll try to catch it. The Morning Rush is ok. Clint and Derek are fine, but Tommy Kraft's a little too lame. He reminds me a lot of Harry King. Kraft, King and Rick Schaeffer should all kick off show that start @ about 5a for all the ole timers who want to here that type of talk.

Yet again I can't understand how the show with no name was voted #1 again. The only suggestion I can come up with is that their 100K watts is reaching more homes and radios than it's competitors. I will say this, compared to their competition, the show has a lot of personality. Its a poor excuse for a sports radio show, but doesn't lack much personality.

I think Bo's Show is the best out there, Drive-Time #2 and Game On with Wes and Micheal a secure 3rd.  Im usually working during Matt and Trey's show, so I don't really have gauge on them. And I simply refuse to listen to "in the zone" with Justin Acri.

MountieDawg

I like Game On but we only get them for an hour. I don't always agree with Mike Irwin, but he usually will say what he thinks, not what you want to hear. He is pretty defensive of any shots at Bielema right now, but if he doesn't see improvement I think that will change.

The Red Zone is pretty good and gives you a decent variety, Bo is good and runs his show for ratings. He will take both sides of the argument to keep both sides of the argument happy and ticked off... That keeps listeners...

Press row is great if you want to know about the Cardinals and women's golf, both listeners enjoy.

I think Nick Mason knows basketball better than any locals on the radio and not just Razorback basketball. The rest of these guys, have no clue about basketball.
SEC!

Madface Magician

Arkansas is starving for a quality Statewide sports talk show.  Nothing I hear during my early morning drive into work is very professional.........  Bo, by a mile, lines up credible guests to talk to and he sounds genuine.  Mattingly would not make for good TV, but he has some regional credibility.

Nothing on 103.7 is worth listening to, until they go with the ESPN radio feed.  The best college sports talk show is on Sirrus 91.

Finally, give me MORE callers, less talking by the HOSTS.  Intro your subject, offer a "short" opinion, then let the Masses talk.....a sell a "little bit", then sit back and watch your ratings grow....... :D

lefty08

Since when was the SWNN supposed to be a sports show?  There is a reason it sucks as a sports show.......  as far as schaap and jones, that show has to be dead last. Its horrible.
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

HAWG MAFIA

SIAP, but what happened to Stoerner on The Mornign Rush??? i was on vacation last week and didnt listen to the show at all na dhe's not on there this week.

rzrbaxfan

Quote from: 1highhog on July 25, 2014, 04:05:49 pm
I quit listening to that years ago, hoping one day Id tune in and there would be an early morning sports show in that time slot, to my dismay, the first thing I heard was a familiar uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, which I immediately knew was one of Tommy Smiths long pauses when he fails to have anything to say.

What's the name of the show that has Matt Jones on it?

That is the most annoying thing.  Once you notice it, it's hard to ignore it.  You'd think a guy with that much experience talking on the air would be able to fix that, but as someone said earlier, the guys on that show really just show up and wing it. 

To the OP, I like the Morning Rush.  In fact, I could listen to 93.3 just about all day.

hawgXi

Quote from: Madface Magician on July 25, 2014, 05:32:00 pm
Arkansas is starving for a quality Statewide sports talk show.  Nothing I hear during my early morning drive into work is very professional.........  Bo, by a mile, lines up credible guests to talk to and he sounds genuine.  Mattingly would not make for good TV, but he has some regional credibility.

Nothing on 103.7 is worth listening to, until they go with the ESPN radio feed.  The best college sports talk show is on Sirrus 91.

Finally, give me MORE callers, less talking by the HOSTS.  Intro your subject, offer a "short" opinion, then let the Masses talk.....a sell a "little bit", then sit back and watch your ratings grow....... :D

so,  you're saying you want more stuff like Drive Time Sports when RR does "big book" "little book"?  that really brings the masses!

callers like gentle ben & jimmy from grapevine have really amped up their ratings?

Wildhog

Quote from: lefty08 on July 25, 2014, 07:45:28 pm
Since when was the SWNN supposed to be a sports show?  There is a reason it sucks as a sports show.......  as far as schaap and jones, that show has to be dead last. Its horrible.

SWNN just sucks as a show, in general.  Forget sports.  It's just awful.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Hawgndaaz

Quote from: Madface Magician on July 25, 2014, 05:32:00 pm

Not sure if serious on wanting more callers.

I usually turn it once that crud gets going. It is regurgitated message board crud they read here or rivals. Callers rarely give new takes and 99% sound like unintelligent dolts.

Give me a good interview with a sportswriter/broadcaster type any day over (insert hogville screen name) any day.

Jacob "2 Scoops" Johnson

In the morning I just usually replay the Ugly Uncle Show from a day before. Their intern is cute so that helps.

*drops mic*
ched come back pls

The_Iceman

Morning Rush is what I prefer. Derek, Tommy, Clint, and Gary Brown are fun to listen to.

Mike Irwin

I like shows featuring ex athletes. They may not all be articulate but I like the perspective they give, a perspective the rest of us don't have. We're not in the locker-room. We're not on the field.

I've been around coaches my whole life. They don't interest me nearly as much as players who will open  up and say what they really think.

When Matt Jones was playing he never said anything interesting to the media. For that reason the few times I've been able to catch his show I've been fascinated to hear him open up on some topics he never addressed as a player.

Clint Stoerner is one of my favorite Razorbacks. He'd look you in the eye and tell you exactly what he thought. I've met his mom. He was raised right. He's also 100% totally Hog committed and he's really good friends with my all time favorite ex Hog, Anthony Lucas.

It's also been a pleasure to sit in the studio and work alongside of Michael Smith. He played for both Nutt and Petrino. There's not much he didn't experience.

As for callers, they are what they are. Some add to the show. Some don't. To me it's up to the host to decide how to use them. The best hosts get rid of the idiots and give plenty of airtime to the ones who have something interesting to say.

DadVader1

Game On is my favorite.  Wes has the media experience and love of sports, Michael Smith has the behind the scenes knowledge about being a player in the SEC, and Mike Irwin is a solid, no-nonsense sports reporter who is pretty good about saying what's on his mind instead of being a smoke-blowing cheerleader who is pumping sunshine out of fear of losing access.  Bo has the best guests and is fairly level-headed.  Drive-Time is a close third for me, but they take too many lame callers and spend too much time on high school football for my taste.  The Morning Rush dropped from a solid second (when it was BS in the morning) to a distant fourth when they lost Pat Bradley.  Pat & Clint were a good team.  Derek brings enthusiasm and has a good radio voice, but I seriously doubt that he believes much of what he says and says much of it in an effort to be edgy and to create "good radio," but in doing so, he often comes across as being a typical, excitable, uneducated fan in whose opinion I place little or no weight.

Wildhog

I actually do kind of like Game On.  Michael has a LOOOOOOOOOONG way to go as a radio personality, and I rarely agree with Irwin, but at least it's solid Hog discussion.
1909/1964/1965/1977

The_Iceman

Mike, love your show as well. Just don't get to listen to it because I'm at work. When I do catch it on my lunch break, your knowledge and insight is great to hear. You are someone who has actually taken the time to find answers, instead of just speculating.

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: HAWG MAFIA on July 30, 2014, 07:02:57 am
SIAP, but what happened to Stoerner on The Mornign Rush??? i was on vacation last week and didnt listen to the show at all na dhe's not on there this week.

I think they are just doing their vacations.  Stoerner and Craft have both been gone some the last 2 or 3 weeks.

lefty08

Quote from: Mike Irwin on July 30, 2014, 09:21:41 am
I like shows featuring ex athletes. They may not all be articulate but I like the perspective they give, a perspective the rest of us don't have. We're not in the locker-room. We're not on the field.

I've been around coaches my whole life. They don't interest me nearly as much as players who will open  up and say what they really think.

When Matt Jones was playing he never said anything interesting to the media. For that reason the few times I've been able to catch his show I've been fascinated to hear him open up on some topics he never addressed as a player.

Clint Stoerner is one of my favorite Razorbacks. He'd look you in the eye and tell you exactly what he thought. I've met his mom. He was raised right. He's also 100% totally Hog committed and he's really good friends with my all time favorite ex Hog, Anthony Lucas.

It's also been a pleasure to sit in the studio and work alongside of Michael Smith. He played for both Nutt and Petrino. There's not much he didn't experience.

As for callers, they are what they are. Some add to the show. Some don't. To me it's up to the host to decide how to use them. The best hosts get rid of the idiots and give plenty of airtime to the ones who have something interesting to say.

I miss michael smith, dude was a gamer and a thrill to watch
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.

ifghog

Quote from: Wildhog on July 30, 2014, 08:37:52 am
SWNN just sucks as a show, in general.  Forget sports.  It's just awful.
Obviously you are in the minority in this state

flynhog

Quote from: ifghog on July 30, 2014, 11:04:45 am

He might be in the minority, but he is correct.
Wins are the only things that matter when the game ends.  The mistakes that happen in the game are corrected by good coaching during the week. A season of near losses means you won every game.

widespreadsooie

Had to stop listening to Morning Rush, I'm way to cynical to put up with their lack of knowledge and awful one liners. Stoerner talking football is the only thing worth listening too. Josh Bertucinni (sp?) on the Red Zone is a good listen. Very balanced in his point of views and knowledgeable. Not scared to be a realist when it comes to the Hogs. As for Nick Mason, he's the man. Everyone needs to tune in for Nick.

Wildhog

I'm definitely not the stereotypical Arkansan.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Hogpkins

I doubt it. I don't know anyone who likes the show. I can't explain its ratings, but I'm guessing it's mostly a 15-35 yo women's demographic since it's the closest thing to TMZ we have in Arkansas. That goes for all of the Buzz's original content.

Hogpkins

Quote from: Jacob "2 Scoops" Johnson on July 30, 2014, 08:56:04 am
In the morning I just usually replay the Ugly Uncle Show from a day before. Their intern is cute so that helps.

*drops mic*

How do you listen to UU show reruns? I've been wanting to catch it but the time slot makes it impossible for me to listen live.

Hawgndaaz

He isn't. I'm around the same age as WH and I can tell you our generation HATES that show.

Today I was flipping through. Morning Rush and ESPN were both on commercials. I flip to the buzz by default and I SWEAR to you this was the conversation:

Which superhero title is better for a quarterback? Batman or Superman?

I mean how in the holy hell do they come up with this stuff? That isn't remotely interesting or funny to anyone I wouldn't think?

The_Iceman

Quote from: widespreadsooie on July 30, 2014, 11:48:46 am
Had to stop listening to Morning Rush, I'm way to cynical to put up with their lack of knowledge and awful one liners. Stoerner talking football is the only thing worth listening too. Josh Bertucinni (sp?) on the Red Zone is a good listen. Very balanced in his point of views and knowledgeable. Not scared to be a realist when it comes to the Hogs. As for Nick Mason, he's the man. Everyone needs to tune in for Nick.

When its basketball season or when basketball news happens, I love listening to Nick Mason's show in the afternoon. During football season, I gotta go with Bo because he brings in so many great guests from across the nation.

HAWG MAFIA

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on July 30, 2014, 09:58:58 am
I think they are just doing their vacations.  Stoerner and Craft have both been gone some the last 2 or 3 weeks.

I knew Craft was gone on vacation but thought I heard them say this morning "that they use to work with an ex QB", like Stoerner was no longer on show. Hope thats not the case, he's not always very articulate but I like the perspective he brings.

Mike Irwin

Quote from: HAWG MAFIA on July 30, 2014, 04:36:28 pm
I knew Craft was gone on vacation but thought I heard them say this morning "that they use to work with an ex QB", like Stoerner was no longer on show. Hope thats not the case, he's not always very articulate but I like the perspective he brings.
Humm. Stoerner tweeted this morning that he was "landing in Baytown." Just assumed it was a vacation.

RedSkiesAtNightHog

I really enjoy Bo Mattingly.  He has good guests and the reception on the I heart radio app on the i phone is excellent.  The other benefit of Bo's show is they have a nice podcast wrap up of the best segments from the previous days show if you miss it.  Just use your i phone podcast app.

onebadrubi

I've never even heard of the two morning shows mentioned.  Are they played in central Arkansas?  If so when and what station? 

I catch Matt jones show, the one mike is on, and then in aware of DTS and Bo's show.  Can't handle randy rainwater and his complete lack of ability to talk, articulate, say a sentence without grasping for air, or worse when he can not get simple hogs names right.  Bo lets the idiots ramble too much for me

Andrew Hogfan

The morning rush is on 93.3 in central Arkansas. The SWNN is horrible. I'm 31 and can't listento it. Baz is such a tool you woukd never know played by listening to him. He constantly makes me say wth? Do you even watch sports?
WPS!!!

onebadrubi

Quote from: Andrew Hogfan on July 31, 2014, 12:32:36 am
The morning rush is on 93.3 in central Arkansas. The SWNN is horrible. I'm 31 and can't listento it. Baz is such a tool you woukd never know played by listening to him. He constantly makes me say wth? Do you even watch sports?

Too late at night for me to figure out the SWNN acronym, but yes it is AWFUL!!!! 

Andrew Hogfan

WPS!!!

lefty08

Quote from: onebadrubi on July 31, 2014, 12:23:59 am
I've never even heard of the two morning shows mentioned.  Are they played in central Arkansas?  If so when and what station? 

I catch Matt jones show, the one mike is on, and then in aware of DTS and Bo's show.  Can't handle randy rainwater and his complete lack of ability to talk, articulate, say a sentence without grasping for air, or worse when he can not get simple hogs names right.  Bo lets the idiots ramble too much for me

That last line is fill of irony........you are here my friend

Mike Irwin

Quote from: onebadrubi on July 31, 2014, 12:23:59 am

You have to understand Bo's background. He cut his teeth on sportstalk radio right out of HS in the Ft. Lauderdale market. His mentor was a guy who made heavy use of callers. They'd call. He'd cut them to pieces.

Bo has never been that drastic but when he first arrived in Arkansas he had some of that in him. He's evolved quite a bit over the years. But he's still convinced that callers drive ratings. The crazy ones especially. After listening to Finebaum and looking at his ratings I'm not prepared to say that Bo is wrong.

IMO he has the best show in Arkansas for a number of reasons.

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: Mike Irwin on July 31, 2014, 07:49:12 am

Not a fan of Bo, but 100% agree with this.  He has a decent balance between guests and callers and his guests are top flight and diverse.  As far as the callers and letting them blather on, this is a problem with any caller driven show in Arkansas.  We are probably the least educated when it comes to CFB/SEC as whole because of our location and Razorback myopia.  I'm not saying we don't have well informed people that call in but the % is lower than other SEC states.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

Hawgndaaz

Quote from: Mike Irwin on July 30, 2014, 04:53:40 pm
Humm. Stoerner tweeted this morning that he was "landing in Baytown." Just assumed it was a vacation.

Stoerner is no longer with the show, just found out.

cosmodrum

State's full of people with mostly-functioning brain stems.

The show has NO redeeming qualities.
Go away, batin'

cosmodrum

Quote from: Mike Irwin on July 31, 2014, 07:49:12 am
You have to understand Bo's background. He cut his teeth on sportstalk radio right out of HS in the Ft. Lauderdale market. His mentor was a guy who made heavy use of callers. They'd call. He'd cut them to pieces.

Bo has never been that drastic but when he first arrived in Arkansas he had some of that in him. He's evolved quite a bit over the years. But he's still convinced that callers drive ratings. The crazy ones especially. After listening to Finebaum and looking at his ratings I'm not prepared to say that Bo is wrong.

Bo's show is the best. He gets great interviews, knows how to push the listeners' buttons, etc. I'm not saying that I necessarily want to hang with the guy, but his show is superior.
Go away, batin'

Johnboy

I agree with WildHog.... SWNN is the worst radio show ever.  I would rather listen to static.

Hog N Bama

Tommy Smith said yesterday or today that he has no problem wearing Bama gear or Auburn gear. REALLY???? I MEAN REALLY?? Dude needs to find another job or fricken move to Alabama. He is always dogging the Hogs too..sick of it. I have become a real fan of THE SOURCE 93.3 since the BUZZ is a complete joke.
Game On when Mike Irwin is on and Bo's show in the afternoon are by far the best.

Wildhog

Quote from: Hog N Bama on July 31, 2014, 04:43:08 pm
Tommy Smith said yesterday or today that he has no problem wearing Bama gear or Auburn gear. REALLY???? I MEAN REALLY?? Dude needs to find another job or fricken move to Alabama. He is always dogging the Hogs too..sick of it. I have become a real fan of THE SOURCE 93.3 since the BUZZ is a complete joke.

Me too.  93.3 is all I listen to, anymore.  I'll tune into Matt and Trey occasionally, I guess.
1909/1964/1965/1977