Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

#bodybyherb

Started by brickhousehog, July 25, 2014, 01:01:16 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hawgaddict

Quote from: bennyl08 on July 31, 2014, 12:25:15 am
Yeah, when people posted praising Herbert upon signing, I felt a strange sense of deja vu. People saying finally we have somebody who cares about nutrition etc... While I don't care to do so again, I researched some articles and quotes from Veltkamp basically stating the same things we've heard from Veltkamp. Plus, everyone was talking about what a huge jump we had from whoever did it under Nutt to the Veltkamp when V was first hired. I imagine that is still true. However, Herbert does appear to be better than Veltkamp was as well. That said, the two also had different goals in mind.

Im not going to name drop, but I had a class with a few current Hogs on the roster and we would always sit next to each other and talk football. One day I asked them what he thought about the strength and condition program compared to the old staff. They both said coach Herbs approach is completely different. They both raved about coach Herb and said most players have bought in and enjoying getting to work with him, except for the waking up at 5 am but a lot of the players with the old staff just thought of it like it was something they had to do instead of enjoying it and making it fun like Herb does. The best part I though they said was that Herb genuinely cares about each and every one rather you be a walk on or a 5 star recruit and will push you to your limit and then will get just as jacked up for you when you reached your goal. But when I asked about the old staff, these players both agreed that coach Herb makes them look like a small time High School strength coach. They said everything from nutrition, lifting,  exercises, etc are so much more advanced and difficult then anything they did with the previous regime. I think this guy is one of our best assets if not the best especially when he has the players respect and he respects the players and they get in there and do work as you can tell by the before and after pics. I don't post much but had a few beers tonight and wanted to share this story with my fellow die hard hog fans. Hope you enjoyed and GO HOGS!!

Hogeration

Quote from: hawgaddict on July 31, 2014, 12:52:02 am
Im not going to name drop, but I had a class with a few current Hogs on the roster and we would always sit next to each other and talk football. One day I asked them what he thought about the strength and condition program compared to the old staff. They both said coach Herbs approach is completely different. They both raved about coach Herb and said most players have bought in and enjoying getting to work with him, except for the waking up at 5 am but a lot of the players with the old staff just thought of it like it was something they had to do instead of enjoying it and making it fun like Herb does. The best part I though they said was that Herb genuinely cares about each and every one rather you be a walk on or a 5 star recruit and will push you to your limit and then will get just as jacked up for you when you reached your goal. But when I asked about the old staff, these players both agreed that coach Herb makes them look like a small time High School strength coach. They said everything from nutrition, lifting,  exercises, etc are so much more advanced and difficult then anything they did with the previous regime. I think this guy is one of our best assets if not the best especially when he has the players respect and he respects the players and they get in there and do work as you can tell by the before and after pics. I don't post much but had a few beers tonight and wanted to share this story with my fellow die hard hog fans. Hope you enjoyed and GO HOGS!!

Nice post.  I believe it.  However, I'm not sure the old staff was building more speed than bulk.  We always saw video of the old staff and players doing more agility and speed drills.  I'm hoping we are finally building both.

To those who say you can't "Out Bama Bama"...You can if you are stronger up front with some speed equal to Bama at the skill positions.

al_pigcino

I think Veltkamp built the speed in the wrong places.  It almost felt like he had a generic approach to all positions.  Speed is great but who cares is a lineman ran a 4.6 in the 40?  Looks good in paper but it doesn't really affect the game at all.  I want explosive lineman with 9 foot broad jumps and 33" verticals. 

PonderinHog

Quote from: onebadrubi on July 30, 2014, 11:36:42 pm
Yeah don't go full retard huh?  You should have looked further back in the thread, or looked at the quote he quoted, which was other further back in regards to duwop.  Full retard comes back to bite you in the azz sometimes too

Source: First post of this thread.
When I first opened the thread that first picture didn't show up for some reason.  So, let's compromise and call me semi-retarded.  Thanks for the correction.  Definitely makes sense now.   

HogShat

Quote from: jabohog on July 30, 2014, 06:29:36 pm
I would just like to have a copy of his diet regime.

His motto is you can't out train a bad diet...

razorsharptusk

Hogs version of boys to men.  Starting to look like an SEC football team we are.  By the way, anyone still worried about Collin's stomach?   :razorback:
GO HOGS!!

JIHawg

Thanks for sharing.  Good info.

GolfnHog

In response to Collins and his "gut". If I remember correctly when he 1st came to the hill he had some really poor eating habits that had to be corrected. I think, more than anything else, the youngster is getting to eat smart and as much as he needs now.
Have you ever listened to someone  or read what they put into thoughts and wondered...."who ties your shoelaces for you?"

ricepig

Quote from: GolfnHog on July 31, 2014, 10:13:21 am
In response to Collins and his "gut". If I remember correctly when he 1st came to the hill he had some really poor eating habits that had to be corrected. I think, more than anything else, the youngster is getting to eat smart and as much as he needs now.

Yeah, he liked Ranch Dressing on everything.......

Chief Mac

Quote from: HogShat on July 31, 2014, 07:45:17 am
His motto is you can't out train a bad diet...

he is right....its all on the fork.  You can workout as hard as you want but will never get sustainable results until you change your lifestyle habits i.e. your diet
"We spend two hundred and fifty billion dollars a year on defense and here we are....the fate of the planet in the hands of a bunch of retards I wouldn't trust with a potato gun!

ricepig

Quote from: Chris McWilliams on July 31, 2014, 10:14:44 am
he is right....its all on the fork.  You can workout as hard as you want but will never get sustainable results until you change your lifestyle habits i.e. your diet

Yeah, my 4.5 miles a morning doesn't overcome my donuts afterwards, but they're gooood.

brian.griffin.hogfan

having a 6 pack doesn't mean jack on the field. lets see how they play.

ricepig

Quote from: brian.griffin.hogfan on July 31, 2014, 10:32:26 am

True, having a six pack effects my golf game.

Hog Fan...DOH!

Quote from: ricepig on July 31, 2014, 10:41:35 am

True, having a six pack effects my golf game.

It's all about the ratio.

Chief Mac

Quote from: brian.griffin.hogfan on July 31, 2014, 10:32:26 am

while having a 6 pack in and of itself doesn't mean jack on the field, the dedication to get in shape and have the muscle mass required to have that 6 pack does mean something.  How about some kudos for the hard work the kids have put in rather than pissing in everyone's cheerios?
"We spend two hundred and fifty billion dollars a year on defense and here we are....the fate of the planet in the hands of a bunch of retards I wouldn't trust with a potato gun!

al_pigcino

It takes more than situps and running to have a 6 pack on a 200+ pound guy. 

There is no way that kind of work ethic dedication couldn't transfer onto the field. 

redswarmrising

Quote from: GolfnHog on July 31, 2014, 10:13:21 am

didn't CBB say last season Collins wasn't eating enough and even caused him to black out a couple of times?

HawgNthaWater

the body transformations of these kids has been pretty amazing to see. saw this on BR this morning and lots of kids are posting their transformations.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2148283-ohio-state-lb-joshua-perry-has-added-a-lot-of-muscle-to-his-body-in-2-years
"Listen old man, it's 4th and 1. Either stand up and watch, or just imagine the sh*t like you did during the golden era of radio!"

brian.griffin.hogfan

Quote from: Chris McWilliams on July 31, 2014, 12:20:10 pm
while having a 6 pack in and of itself doesn't mean jack on the field, the dedication to get in shape and have the muscle mass required to have that 6 pack does mean something.  How about some kudos for the hard work the kids have put in rather than pissing in everyone's cheerios?

not peeing in everyone's cheerios. Merely stating that there is ZERO correlation between  having abs and playing football.  Just as relevant as say their penmanship.

by the way, are you the hall monitor for this site? I've made 3 posts and you've already  attacked some of my posts. News for you as well, I've read more than a few of your posts. Are you on Brett's payroll?

Hogberry Snortcake

Let the games begin...

RedSkiesAtNightHog

Informative post.  Thanks!  +1

al_pigcino

Tevin "take me for a ride" Mitchell adding more muscle mass will be a transition to the field.  It's not possible to go from an ok player with no 6 pack to having a 6 pack without being better unless there is an injury.  Your core is everything.

hogwild210

Quote from: luke hawg on July 30, 2014, 07:54:13 pm
What in the hell were are previous S&C coaches doing. Seriously, I mean coach Herb is great but it kind of appears previous coaches didn't educate on nutrition and the importance of training your lower body.

In their defense, they were training our guys for different systems, different goals, etc, based on what the coaching staff wanted. You don't get to be a D1 strength coach without knowing what you're doing.
Quote from: Steef on May 26, 2017, 12:28:23 pm
Still, one can never go wrong with excrement at a time like this.

three hog night

Thanks for posting this, we need to hear how things are going on the hill.
Petrino left a mess and Bielema is trying to fill in the talent gaps.  Anderson finally has some talent to work with.  He needs more at select positions and that will come in the next recruiting class. 
Posters that think they are Jim Rhome are ruining message boards.

Kenny Hawgins

Quote from: hogwild210 on August 01, 2014, 11:56:44 am
In their defense, they were training our guys for different systems, different goals, etc, based on what the coaching staff wanted. You don't get to be a D1 strength coach without knowing what you're doing.
You would be shocked in some cases.
Twirling round with this familiar parable
Spinning, weaving round each new experience

Redhogs

Quote from: brian.griffin.hogfan on August 01, 2014, 11:32:38 am
not peeing in everyone's cheerios. Merely stating that there is ZERO correlation between  having abs and playing football.  Just as relevant as say their penmanship.

by the way, are you the hall monitor for this site? I've made 3 posts and you've already  attacked some of my posts. News for you as well, I've read more than a few of your posts. Are you on Brett's payroll?
Did not take you long to catch on....+1
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

Dr. Starcs

Very impressive.

Does anyone know what kind of diet/workout regimen these dudes are on? Besides the obvious "hardcore" answers.

Big Poppa Z

Quote from: Ashley Schaeffer on July 25, 2014, 07:05:50 pm
Dan Skipper is by far the most intimidating person I have ever been in near proximity to. And I don't mean by his attitude, because he is a cool dude, but just sheer size and raw power. You can see it at a glance. He is a beast.

I grok, but for me it was Henry Ford.

Terrifying.

Murr

supersaint

Quote from: Zeke__in__KC on August 01, 2014, 11:47:57 pm
I grok, but for me it was Henry Ford.

Terrifying.

Henry was a heck of an athlete and football player.  Super laid back guy, though.
There's no sense in nonsense when the heat is hot.

bennyl08

You could easily argue correlation. The fewer inches of fat on your belly probably has a strong correlation to how well you will play football. Granted, the difference between a 6-pack and not is more on the order of mm's.

What you are trying to argue is actually causation, which is closer to the truth. However, even then, how much less weight will you be carrying if you have 7.5mm of fat over your belly (and presumably elsewhere too) vs less than that? Let's say the guy cuts out 5% body fat. For a guy that did weigh 220, he would now weigh 209. 11 pounds lighter, and that's 11 pounds less dead weight that he could regain with muscle.

In that same breath, it is very hard to actually gain muscle without overdoing it a bit, i.e. eating exactly 5000 calories a day instead of 5100 or something, so in gaining mode, you might add a tiny bit extra which you then wear off when you start practicing. Also, that bit of fat might be better at absorbing blows? Not sure.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

Johnboy

Wow, yeah I think this comparison is a little over the top.  So being in shape and committed to being healthy has no correlation to a sport which requires you to be in shape and healthy?

Tejas_Pete

I'm sure we have a good strength program but it's also common for people to put on tons of muscle from 18 to 22.

Basketball or football every time we get a new coach there is a thread about how the conditioning / strength program is light years better than the last coaches.

brian.griffin.hogfan

Quote from: Johnboy on August 04, 2014, 07:36:25 am
Wow, yeah I think this comparison is a little over the top.  So being in shape and committed to being healthy has no correlation to a sport which requires you to be in shape and healthy?

its about balance. Yes, you want to be leaner  for cardio purposes... .however , you want a little more fat on your for true strength. Case in point, power lifters. Power lifters arent "shredded" like bodybuilders, and are  most definitely stronger. 

2 seasons ago , Knowsean Moreno famously was into crossfit , lost a good bit of weight , had great abs, and then promptly had a terrible football season because he wasnt in "football shape". There's a difference.

Or have you folks never lifted a weight before?

Pork Twain

Quote from: PonderinHog on July 25, 2014, 01:23:58 pm
Which one is Marshall?  Heck, somebody name them all.
He is so fast, they could not catch him on film.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Pork Twain

Quote from: brian.griffin.hogfan on August 04, 2014, 08:59:09 am
its about balance. Yes, you want to be leaner  for cardio purposes... .however , you want a little more fat on your for true strength. Case in point, power lifters. Power lifters arent "shredded" like bodybuilders, and are  most definitely stronger. 

2 seasons ago , Knowsean Moreno famously was into crossfit , lost a good bit of weight , had great abs, and then promptly had a terrible football season because he wasnt in "football shape". There's a difference.

Far too many fit the mold you are saying they shouldn't fit for you to be correct.  You do not need to be lean to have great cardio and you do not have to have fat to have great strength.  A lot of it depends on the person.  There is no clear standard for what a football player should look like.

That and crossfit utilizes awful form and is an accident waiting to happen.  Oddly enough KM could not stay healthy.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

brian.griffin.hogfan

Quote from: Pork Twain on August 04, 2014, 09:11:29 am
Far too many fit the mold you are saying they shouldn't fit for you to be correct.  You do not need to be lean to have great cardio and you do not have to have fat to have great strength.  A lot of it depends on the person.  There is no clear standard for what a football player should look like.

That and crossfit utilizes awful form and is an accident waiting to happen.  Oddly enough KM could not stay healthy.

well i can agree with you on the fact that there are just freaks in pro sports. In this case , id say Warren Sap is a remarkable example.  Not an ab anywhere on his body but remarkable quick and fast for his size, great vertical too i believe.  Perhaps my comments should be more directed at "normal" people.

Jek Tono Porkins

Crossfit is not in any way a workout regimen. Here's the deal with all of this; I'm going to trust a strength and conditioning coach who gets paid hundreds of thousands of dollars to do this stuff and who himself has the full trust and confidence of the head coach who makes millions of dollars a year over anyone on hogville.
I have known the troubles I was born to know
I have wanted things a poor man's born to want
And in all my dreams and memories I go running
Through the fields of Arkansas from which I sprung

brian.griffin.hogfan

Quote from: Jek Tono Porkins on August 04, 2014, 09:17:37 am
Crossfit is not in any way a workout regimen. Here's the deal with all of this; I'm going to trust a strength and conditioning coach who gets paid hundreds of thousands of dollars to do this stuff and who himself has the full trust and confidence of the head coach who makes millions of dollars a year over anyone on hogville.

ok, your statement on cross fit is blatantly false Although. I agree  with the guy that said its an injury waiting to happen (just my personal belief)

trashcan maN

For those saying that we always pump up the new SC coach, I would argue than Bielemas staf>Petrinos staff>Nutts staff.

Just bc we have pumped up the new guy the padt 2 times doesnt mean we havent gotten a better guy each time.

Kenny Hawgins

Well, you're right and wrong.  Crossfit is silly for football players to do because it focuses far too much on endurance and lacks specificity to anything related to football (or much else, for that matter). 

However, fat doesn't lead to strength, in and of itself.  Powerlifters commonly carry a little more fat but in recent years, we've seen more and more leaning up a bit as well.  Check out Matt Kroczaleski for a great example. 

Consider also that football is more about power (explosive strength) than maximal, top-end strength.  With that being the case, you don't want to carry too much fat around.

Pork Twain

Quote from: Jek Tono Porkins on August 04, 2014, 09:17:37 am
Crossfit is exactly that.  Take every workout you know, utilize form you have always been told not to use because it is terrible for you joints and muscles and that is crossfit.  Like most fad diets have been proven to be, crossfit is a joke.

I agree that a S&C coach knows more than any of us though.

http://www.break.com/video/deadlifts-from-the-crossfit-olympics-2743897

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T74Xek-pDLM

brian.griffin.hogfan

Quote from: Pork Twain on August 04, 2014, 09:42:57 am
Crossfit is exactly that.  Take every workout you know, utilize form you have always been told not to use because it is terrible for you joints and muscles and that is crossfit.  Like most fad diets have been proven to be, crossfit is a joke.

that vid on  break.com.. ....holy heck. How did his back take that? That "trainer" should be shot.

Ironhawg

Quote from: Pork Twain on August 04, 2014, 09:42:57 am

I did Crossfit for a year and a half.  I quit when I started having problems with my shoulders and knees.  I thought parts of Crossfit was fun, but I always tried to pay attention to my form, especially on the Olympic lifts.  I had trouble with knees and shoulders because of the amount of pull-ups and box jumps and the fact that I am middle-aged.  I don't think my instructor cared for me too much because I only pushed myself to puking a couple of times.  On the positive side, I saw dramatic increases in both cardiovascular fitness and strength.

Jek Tono Porkins

I guess I should have said Crossfit is not a *real* or *healthy* or *sustainable* workout regimen.

I have known the troubles I was born to know
I have wanted things a poor man's born to want
And in all my dreams and memories I go running
Through the fields of Arkansas from which I sprung

al_pigcino

BS on "definitely" stronger.  A lot of power lifters use cheating approaches like thick lifting shirts to do a 1" bench press of 800 lbs.  Body builders use control to develop the muscle. 

Kenny Hawgins

Quote from: al_pigcino on August 04, 2014, 12:42:50 pm
BS on "definitely" stronger.  A lot of power lifters use cheating approaches like thick lifting shirts to do a 1" bench press of 800 lbs.  Body builders use control to develop the muscle. 
And a lot of powerlifters don't.  Bodybuilders will be stronger than the average person but won't be stronger than elite powerlifters; not even close.  Different goals, different results.

trashcan maN

Quote from: al_pigcino on August 04, 2014, 12:42:50 pmBody builders use control to develop the muscle. 
Body builders use [steroids]  to develop the muscle. ;D

BrianWPS!!

Quote from: trashcan maN on August 04, 2014, 12:56:55 pm
Body builders use [steroids]  to develop the muscle. ;D

When I was younger and more naive I would've called bs but now that is a hard fact to argue.

mbonner