Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Should P5s and G5s have their own divison?

Started by Ben, July 25, 2014, 11:26:15 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Should majors and midmajors be separate and have their own division to play for championships?

Yes
40 (70.2%)
No
17 (29.8%)

Total Members Voted: 57

Hogfaniam

Quote from: Mike Irwin on July 26, 2014, 10:00:30 am
There was no one consensus except maybe for the need of a soft shell helmet and better rules and coaching to limit helmet to helmet contact. When you get in your mid to late 40's and you see how quickly some of these ex football players go from clear eyed guys who share great stories with you to somebody that doesn't know your name it scares the hell out of them.

Glory days well they'll pass you by
Glory days in the wink of a young girl's eye
Glory days, glory days
"My dog Sam eats purple flowers"

Cinco de Hogo

It's a proven fact that you can get to the pros from anywhere.  If the G5 is formed and the changed the rules somewhat, thing of the difference in pounding a player would take before he became NFL eligible.  Would that be a selling point or is playing against the best too ingrained of an belief or need?

Seminole Indian

Quote from: ricepig on July 26, 2014, 09:25:23 am
Correct, but not in the scenario you've been painting. They will get along together as long as it is beneficial for the P5.
No the scenario they have been creating by their words and actions. Not just their past actions but what they are doing today, in the autonomy proposal and the new post season playoffs.

The G5's have been more than taken care of, and know it, and the other 22 Division 1 Conferences have been all but excluded going forward.

Based on the comments I've read from a couple of G5 Commissioner's it looks like  everything is hunky-dory between them and the P5.

The P5's may be planning to break away from the NCAA for all I know, it just does not appear to be that way.

"In truth, knowledge is a great and very useful quality; those who despise it give evidence enough of their stupidity. Yet I do not set its value at that extreme measure that some attribute to it." - Michel de Montaigne

ricepig

Quote from: Seminole Indian on July 26, 2014, 11:09:46 am
No the scenario they have been creating by their words and actions. Not just their past actions but what they are doing today, in the autonomy proposal and the new post season playoffs.

The G5's have been more than taken care of, and know it, and the other 22 Division 1 Conferences have been all but excluded going forward.

Based on the comments I've read from a couple of G5 Commissioner's it looks like  everything is hunky-dory between them and the P5.

The P5's may be planning to break away from the NCAA for all I know, it just does not appear to be that way.

As I said, they will stay together as long as it is beneficial to them(P5).

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Seminole Indian on July 26, 2014, 09:09:59 am
As long as the SBC is 'value added' to the SEC they will have their back, always have always will. When asked by a reporter the 'why' for this cozy relationship the previous SBC Commissioner said 'because they pay the light bills".

Even on the stipend issue the SBC was the first non-aq conference to approve it, and the SEC Commissioner insisted the SBC Commissioner be the one to address the media first.

The SBC only exist because the SEC wants them to exist.

When the SBC was at risk of ULM not meeting the attendance requirements, and the SBC thus not meeting requirements to be a BCS Conference, Arkansas stepped in and saved both. When ASU fans blasted him for having some devious plan to hurt them FB simply told the media I did it to help them, and he did.

There is a reason the SEC Commissioner picked an SBC team as an example to say they want all the FBS schools to succeed.

As far as the other G5's, got this about CUSA off the CSNBBS.com board:

Asked then what he'd like C-USA and similar NCAA Football Bowl Subdivision leagues to be called moving forward, Banowsky said, "Call us the second five, and note there's 32 (conferences)."

Regardless of whatever labels and differences there are, Banowsky expects that "second five" leagues to be able to co-exist in major football like they always have with the big-money conferences -- the SEC, Big 12, Pac-12, ACC and Big Ten.

"Our five conferences and their five conferences have a lot of history together, and we've always found a way to get in a room and to be good listeners and work it out," Banowsky said Wednesday during C-USA football media day. "I also think having 60 schools together is just not enough for them to be able to have a base from which to operate. You need a bigger base."

The new College Football Playoff has the 10 FBS leagues contractually obligated for 12 years. That agreement guarantees a spot in one of the CFP's six bowl games for the highest-ranked team from among the mid-major leagues -- C-USA, the Sun Belt, MAC, Mountain West and American Athletic. That includes consideration for one of the national semifinal games.

"We are in a transition from conference realignment to system realignment," Banowsky said.

"We're as well off as we've ever been. We've got a seat at the table if we just take care of business," said Marshall coach Doc Holliday, whose team is the C-USA preseason favorite. "Before, in the old BCS system, we didn't have a very good shot at getting that particular deal."

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/11255364/c-usa-britton-banowsky-says-second-5-conferences-relevant#comments

Looks like they know their place also, and it is at the FBS table.

Did you ever stop to think the IF the P5 gets tired of paying those light bills they might do something about it. OBVIOUSLY you still don't comprenhend the term "NEVER say NEVER" OR in this case "never say ALWAYS will." 
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Seminole Indian

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on July 26, 2014, 03:35:13 pm
Did you ever stop to think the IF the P5 gets tired of paying those light bills they might do something about it. OBVIOUSLY you still don't comprenhend the term "NEVER say NEVER" OR in this case "never say ALWAYS will."
Sure I do and know you are right, I just felt compelled to take some liberties with 'always', because this has been the case for a long time, and looks to continue if the autonomy proposal is approved. If not then who knows.

I do think  that as long as the G5's are good 'team players', the P5's will suffer them.

What is happening to the 22 Division 1 Conferences that chose not to be' team players' should be a vivid reminder of what can happen if you choose not too.

IMO going forward it is about what your team can do, because no one gets a free ride to the playoffs based on what conference they are in , so the question is "what's in your teams wallet", when it comes to winning, P5 or G5, and that has been made clear to everyone. Seems fair to me.
"In truth, knowledge is a great and very useful quality; those who despise it give evidence enough of their stupidity. Yet I do not set its value at that extreme measure that some attribute to it." - Michel de Montaigne

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Seminole Indian on July 26, 2014, 04:58:26 pm
Sure I do and know you are right, I just felt compelled to take some liberties with 'always', because this has been the case for a long time, and looks to continue if the autonomy proposal is approved. If not then who knows.

I do think  that as long as the G5's are good 'team players', the P5's will suffer them.

What is happening to the 22 Division 1 Conferences that chose not to be' team players' should be a vivid reminder of what can happen if you choose not too.

IMO going forward it is about what your team can do, because no one gets a free ride to the playoffs based on what conference they are in , so the question is "what's in your teams wallet", when it comes to winning, P5 or G5, and that has been made clear to everyone. Seems fair to me.

When it comes to sports and money and power a LOT of things can happen.................You could have just as easy say Arkansas will never leave the SWC or Saban will never be the Bama coach or Arkansas will never hire a coach that has won a NC before. That being said do I think something will happen soon, nope. Do I think changes are still coming in the future that might cause the P5 to change their minds and go separate at some point, yes.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi