Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Sonny Weems

Started by 1highhog, July 24, 2014, 07:51:57 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

1highhog

I really figured we see the return of a Weems this year to the NBA.  I know he has a sweet deal playing overseas, and I think if he came back, correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't Toronto still hold the rights to him?  If that would be the case, I'd probably stay where he's at to.  I would like to see him just for selfish reasons and see him do well as a former Razorback doing us proud in the NBA.  Joe is still doing his thing but beginning to see the end of his career on the horizon, while Beverley is starting to really flourish with his game as a really good PG and and excellent defender, actually, I think he's already proven at this young point in his career to be one of the best defenders at his position.  What do you guys think?

widespreadsooie

Why do you think Weems comes to back the NBA this season? Toronto is a team on the rise by the way.

1highhog

Quote from: widespreadsooie on July 24, 2014, 08:11:18 pm
Why do you think Weems comes to back the NBA this season? Toronto is a team on the rise by the way.

I said I really figured he'd come back, not that I knew anything for sure.  I don't care if Toronto is on the rise or not, the high cost of playing there rules out most players staying there very long.

widespreadsooie

Quote from: 1highhog on July 24, 2014, 09:55:26 pm
I said I really figured he'd come back, not that I knew anything for sure.  I don't care if Toronto is on the rise or not, the high cost of playing there rules out most players staying there very long.

Didn't say you have a crystal ball. Asked why you think that or "really figure" that.

1highhog

Quote from: widespreadsooie on July 24, 2014, 10:00:55 pm
Didn't say you have a crystal ball. Asked why you think that or "really figure" that.

Because I thought by now he'd miss seeing his family.  I know he has his wife and kids with him, but I meant more along the lines of his whole family.  But, he may enjoy his time away, everything is provided for him there, and he's a very popular player, being one of their star players.  If he came back to the NBA, he might make a little more, but by the time the government got through with him taxing him to death on everything he bought, he'd probably end up making more just staying where he's at.

yraciv

I would like to see Sonny back, but it's not like I forsee it coming anytime soon.  The facts are pretty straight forward that he wouldn't have near as good a financial setup if he would return and he'd serve more likely a diminished role.  I'm sure it is hard on him not seeing his family, but that is the life of a professional basketball player overseas, or if he was in Toronto, or wherever.  From my understanding, Sonny does spend most of his offseason in the states, and he has got his wife & kid over there with him during the season.  Considering he has the money to fly back and forth fairly often; I don't think the lifestyle of working overseas is that much of a burden on him and something he enjoys.  Courtney Fortson went back to that lifestyle after only 1 year of being a fringe NBA player, because it was smarter for him financially, and he is hardly a Euroleague star.

widespreadsooie

Wow, both of your karmas are exactly even. yraciv at +1181/-1181 and 1highhog at+696/-696. Regard Weems playing overseas, I just always figured he would be playing in the NBA if he was just simply good enough to.

TomasPistola

Quote from: widespreadsooie on July 25, 2014, 11:17:47 pm
Wow, both of your karmas are exactly even. yraciv at +1181/-1181 and 1highhog at+696/-696. Regard Weems playing overseas, I just always figured he would be playing in the NBA if he was just simply good enough to.

I don't think there's a doubt he's "Good enough".

The current state of the dollar tells me if he's getting paid in Euros he's doing well over there and having a good time. He wasn't gonna be a Hall of Famer anyways. Might as well enjoy the world doing what you love with your family nearby.
Quote from: Hog Momster on January 06, 2011, 09:45:30 pm
You were right.
Quote from: Breems on April 28, 2011, 05:58:14 pm
You did a great job.
Quote from: Verge on June 22, 2011, 08:44:20 am
If you have some form of mental retardation i will stop making fun of you, just want to clarify this first.

1highhog

Quote from: widespreadsooie on July 25, 2014, 11:17:47 pm

He was good enough to play in the NBA before the strike happened and several NBA players opted to play overseas.  But Sonny wasn't making jack at that time and he immediately got a pay raise by going overseas.  Easy decision then.  But over the last two years several teams have expressed interest in Sonny, wanting to see if they could lure him back home, but evidently the money wasn't good enough because it would have to be a substantial raise since his home and car is provided for plus no taxes overseas where he plays.

k.c.hawg

Sonny signed a new 3 year deal with CSKA Moscow in July. He has reached star status in the Euro League and makes big money with very small tax consequences. He had a $1.8m offer to return to the NBA after the lockout and turned it down. He posts a lot on twitter/instagram and it looks like he really is enjoying the life. His contract is through 2017 and it looks like it doesn't have any escape options.
Just sitting on the deck with a cold beer and a hot tequila watching the razorbacks roam.

1highhog

Quote from: k.c.hawg on July 30, 2014, 11:25:41 am
Sonny signed a new 3 year deal with CSKA Moscow in July. He has reached star status in the Euro League and makes big money with very small tax consequences. He had a $1.8m offer to return to the NBA after the lockout and turned it down. He posts a lot on twitter/instagram and it looks like he really is enjoying the life. His contract is through 2017 and it looks like it doesn't have any escape options.

That means Sonny has a great deal then with housing and car/cars provided.  He has it made without having the taxes eating him up as well as you said.  I'm very happy for Sonny.