Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Win totals line set

Started by CallThemHawgs!, July 24, 2014, 02:18:18 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ricepig

Bubba's Bruisers

That's expected.  I'd take the over while you can.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

Music City Hog

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on July 24, 2014, 02:24:02 pm

I'm usually on your side, but I don't see 5 wins on this schedule.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: Music City Hog on July 24, 2014, 02:38:16 pm
I'm usually on your side, but I don't see 5 wins on this schedule.

I can buy 5 based on a few conditions.  My point is that with all the optimism, 4.5 is as good as you're going to get if you want the over...like all fans.  I don't see this line moving south.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

Dwight_K_Shrute

I'd be all over the over.

Win all 4 non con
Split with the MS schools that's 5 right there, and you are in the money.

But we won't be satisfied with just 5, then it all comes down to #ARMOgeddon and we drop that bomb on Columbia and hit 6.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

Music City Hog

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on July 24, 2014, 02:44:06 pm
I'd be all over the over.

Win all 4 non con
Split with the MS schools that's 5 right there, and you are in the money.

But we won't be satisfied with just 5, then it all comes down to #ARMOgeddon and we drop that bomb on Columbia and hit 6.

We will be underdogs against Tech and both Miss. Schools.  You're assuming we will upset two of the three.  3 of 4 if you include Mizzou.  Not saying its impossible, but its gonna take two upsets just to get to 5.

SPAL

Amazing,  yet there are people in another thread saying anything less than 6 is a failed season....

Music City Hog

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on July 24, 2014, 03:03:01 pm
Amazing,  yet there are people in another thread saying anything less than 6 is a failed season....

There are a shocking number of people saying 7-9 wins as well!  It's simply hard to believe.  Every non-hog fan media member, sec analyst, ex coach, etc says we win 2-5.

There are going to be a ton of disappointed hog fans because they have unrealistic expectations.  We will be improved but our record won't.  4 wins is about right.  We will be favorites in 3 games.

BorderPatrol

Quote from: Music City Hog on July 24, 2014, 03:06:35 pm
There are going to be a ton of disappointed hog fans because they have unrealistic expectations.

That works both ways...

bp

Music City Hog

Prestworthy

A bowl berth would be a huge success for this team, given the schedule. 6 wins and I'm sold on CBB's method.

Music City Hog

Quote from: Prestworthy on July 24, 2014, 03:14:26 pm
A bowl berth would be a huge success for this team, given the schedule. 6 wins and I'm sold on CBB's method.

I agree.  If we win 6 then we should throw a parade.

Been10Hog

Quote from: Music City Hog on July 24, 2014, 02:59:32 pm
We will be underdogs against Tech and both Miss. Schools.  You're assuming we will upset two of the three.  3 of 4 if you include Mizzou.  Not saying its impossible, but its gonna take two upsets just to get to 5.
Too often we fail to see the realism!

TMc

We are going to win at least 6

Been10Hog

We will be underdogs in 9 games! We have to play over our heads in 1 game and upset somebody just to get to 4! Schedule is brutal!!

Dwight_K_Shrute

Bunch of Vajayjay's up in hur.  Grow some balls or would you rather be able to come back at the end of the season and say I tried to tell yall we wouldn't win 6 games see see I was right I knew it I knew it.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

Deep Shoat

Quote from: Music City Hog on July 24, 2014, 02:59:32 pm
You are assuming being an underdog means we can't win.

I bet we are no worse than a 7 point dog at TTU, and I think that will be a slight overreach on Vegas' part.  But the time Ole Miss and MSU come around, I bet we are favorites in at least one of those games.
All Gas, No Brakes!

BorderPatrol

Quote from: Music City Hog on July 24, 2014, 03:10:44 pm
How many do you think we win?

I hope to win 14, but just like EVERYONE else on the planet, I don't have a clue how many we will win.

I was making a point about all of the nancys around here not expecting to win more than 2.5.

bp

Deep Shoat

Quote from: Been10Hog on July 24, 2014, 03:18:29 pm
We will be underdogs in 9 games! We have to play over our heads in 1 game and upset somebody just to get to 4! Schedule is brutal!!
See, this assumes a static environment in a dynamic system.

Those lines will evolve after every game. 

We will end up favored in more games than you think this season.
All Gas, No Brakes!

Music City Hog

Exactly right

BorderPatrol

!!!

bp

Been10Hog

Quote from: Deep Shoat on July 24, 2014, 03:19:37 pm
You are assuming being an underdog means we can't win.

I bet we are no worse than a 7 point dog at TTU, and I think that will be a slight overreach on Vegas' part.  But the time Ole Miss and MSU come around, I bet we are favorites in at least one of those games.
Not making any assumptions! Just stating how it looks on paper! I think BB will get it done! I just don't want fans jumping his butt and wanting him gone if we actually do better than expected and win 4 or 5. Like it's been said, 6 wins and a bowl game BB should be up for coach of the year where we came from!

Been10Hog

Quote from: Deep Shoat on July 24, 2014, 03:21:15 pm
See, this assumes a static environment in a dynamic system.

Those lines will evolve after every game. 

We will end up favored in more games than you think this season.
I agree! What I stated is based on preseason predictions! And, I don't know what NIU has coming back. We might be picked as a dog in that game as of today! It has always been fun to prove the predictions wrong and make the prognosticators eat their words!!

SPAL

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on July 24, 2014, 03:18:37 pm
Bunch of Vajayjay's up in hur.  Grow some balls or would you rather be able to come back at the end of the season and say I tried to tell yall we wouldn't win 6 games see see I was right I knew it I knew it.

No, but this is a thread talking about a Vegas win total. People pay money to play these totals. When talking about money, you can't use blind emotion and hope.

We all, well most of us without some kind of agenda, want the hogs to win all of them. But that's just not realistic especially if you wanna lay some coin on it.

I think we win 5 or 6 but I'm not confident enough to put money on going over 4.5

Music City Hog

Quote from: Been10Hog on July 24, 2014, 03:22:53 pm
Not making any assumptions! Just stating how it looks on paper! I think BB will get it done! I just don't want fans jumping his butt and wanting him gone if we actually do better than expected and win 4 or 5. Like it's been said, 6 wins and a bowl game BB should be up for coach of the year where we came from!

And this is the problem.  People get absurd expectations and when we finish with the actual amount of wins that are realistic, people will call for the staffs head. 

catfish07

Do I want 7; absolutely! I think 5 is a good season based on schedule. We have 2 good NC games and a tough SEC schedule.

August 30 here we come!
"If I owned both Texas and Hell, I'd rent out Texas and live in Hell."

-General Philip Sheridan

ricepig

Quote from: Music City Hog on July 24, 2014, 03:26:55 pm
And this is the problem.  People get absurd expectations and when we finish with the actual amount of wins that are realistic, people will call for the staffs head. 

You think those who say 7-9 wins, thus Big Sunshine guys, will be the ones asking for the coach's head if we don't achieve it? I would think that group is his largest support group. I'm in the 6 win group, thus I think it could fall between 5 and 7 depending on the intangibles will don't know yet.

Country Stylz

Bielema's been to 3 BCS bowls and has won several conference titles. Petrino won 8 in his 2nd year of a rebuild so I'll say 7 wins for Bielema.

Music City Hog

Quote from: ricepig on July 24, 2014, 03:37:07 pm
You think those who say 7-9 wins, thus Big Sunshine guys, will be the ones asking for the coach's head if we don't achieve it? I would think that group is his largest support group. I'm in the 6 win group, thus I think it could fall between 5 and 7 depending on the intangibles will don't know yet.

I do think if you expect 7-9 and we get 4 then you will wonder what's up. Yes, I do.

PorkSoda

so we aren't the worst team in the league?

the glass is 1/12th full
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

Music City Hog

Quote from: PorkSoda on July 24, 2014, 03:41:46 pm
so we aren't the worst team in the league?

the glass is 1/12th full

1/14th

ricepig

Quote from: Music City Hog on July 24, 2014, 03:39:40 pm
I do think if you expect 7-9 and we get 4 then you will wonder what's up. Yes, I do.

Nah, those are just the type who think we'll play in the NC game every year. 

Country Stylz

Nobody thinks we will be playing for a national title.

Music City Hog

Quote from: ricepig on July 24, 2014, 03:43:38 pm
Nah, those are just the type who think we'll play in the NC game every year. 

Probably right

ricepig

Quote from: Country Stylz on July 24, 2014, 03:49:41 pm
Nobody thinks we will be playing for a national title.

No, they've lowered their expectations to 9 wins.

PygmalionEffect

Quote from: Music City Hog on July 24, 2014, 03:15:23 pm
I agree.  If we win 6 then we should throw a parade.

At 4.5, the unbiased experts are saying we are just as likely to win 5 games as 4.

So a biased fan comes along and predicts one more measly win than the handicappers, you shouldn't think that outlandish.

One more win out of seven tries.  Predicting six is certainly reasonable for a fan.

Saying six is the minimum to avoid disappointment is a little over the top though.
Pygmalion Effect - The phenomenon in which the greater the expectation placed upon people, the better they perform.

Music City Hog

Quote from: PygmalionEffect on July 24, 2014, 03:55:08 pm
At 4.5, the unbiased experts are saying we are just as likely to win 5 games as 4.

So a biased fan comes along and predicts one more measly win than the handicappers, you shouldn't think that outlandish.

One more win out of seven tries.  Predicting six is certainly reasonable for a fan.

Saying six is the minimum to avoid disappointment is a little over the top though.

I don't think 6 is the minimum for avoiding disappointment.  I think winning 6 would be a miracle. 

LRRandy

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on July 24, 2014, 02:24:02 pm
i agree. I think the over is a good bet.
This is fun, isn't it.

HogFanatic

I think Arkansas manages 7.
One of them being in week 1.

ETA: The next question becomes; what if Arkansas starts 5-0 and only wins 2 more? Are people going to be furious that we ended the season showing our lack of depth?

Probably so. The same Nancy's will be here screaming that this team had the potential to win 10 and Bielema is just an idiot.

Music City Hog

Quote from: Ashley Schaeffer on July 24, 2014, 07:09:06 pm
I think Arkansas manages 7.
One of them being in week 1.

ETA: The next question becomes; what if Arkansas starts 5-0 and only wins 2 more? Are people going to be furious that we ended the season showing our lack of depth?

Probably so. The same Nancy's will be here screaming that this team had the potential to win 10 and Bielema is just an idiot.

No, we should erect a statue of BB if we win 7.

Ramtough

I can see 5-7. We beat the 3 cupcakes at home and the Rebel Bears and aTm. I like the pick that we beat Auburn but that would be the upset of the year in the SEC and I'm sure a top 5 upset nation wide for this year.

HogFanatic

Quote from: Music City Hog on July 24, 2014, 07:19:24 pm
No, we should erect a statue of BB if we win 7.

You say that now, but I guarantee you that would happen if my scenario were to play out. It's in the nature of fanatical message board fans.

People would be furious if we ran undefeated all the way to the title game only to lose.

Music City Hog

Quote from: Ashley Schaeffer on July 24, 2014, 07:21:42 pm
You say that now, but I guarantee you that would happen if my scenario were to play out. It's in the nature of fanatical message board fans.

People would be furious if we ran undefeated all the way to the title game only to lose.

Well most people are tards

Prestworthy

I have to be honest....5 wins would still be disappointing.  I mean, BP won 5 games with Casey Dick and a very bad defense.

WorfHog

Quote from: Prestworthy on July 24, 2014, 08:39:05 pm
I have to be honest....5 wins would still be disappointing.  I mean, BP won 5 games with Casey Dick and a very bad defense.

In a very different SEC West.

Dr Carl aka Shorthog

IMO, 4.5 is the number for betting purposes. I think we win 4 with one SEC win. But I also would be surprised if we won 5. I would be surprised if we won more than 5. And I am so tired of hearing that if we win 5 or 6 games it will be a great season. No it won't. It will suck. Yeah, you can say we improved, but 5 wins sucks. Six is a little better cause we can go to a no-name bowl that no one cares about (with the real benefit being the extra practice time).

Dr Carl aka Shorthog

Quote from: WorfHog on July 25, 2014, 11:08:10 am
In a very different SEC West.

I'm pretty sure the SEC was still the top dog and the SEC west the best division in college football. I think sometimes we forget how long the SEC has been dominating.

Jamie Jones

Better get in on the over before the upset win in Auburn in game one. When we pull that off, the lines will be in a tizzy.
I'm a Hog fan. I never chant S-E-C! I hate all the other members.

Horsesrus

I like the over as well. In my opinion it comes down to this, can the Hogs win 2 of these 7 games?

at Texas Tech
A&M in Dallas
Georgia in the Rock
Miss St in Starkville
LSU
Ole Miss
at Missouri

I believe they can.  I'll be curious to see if the Hogs will be a double digit underdog in any of these games.