Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Bold Prediction Time: Arkansas goes 9-3 if...

Started by All Bleed Red, July 24, 2014, 10:45:31 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Music City Hog

Quote from: ricepig on July 24, 2014, 04:01:42 pm
Well, his first two classes were 18th & 19th on Scout, but I'd say we were pretty equal in talent.

Is scout still a thing?

SPAL

Quote from: Wildhog on July 24, 2014, 03:42:17 pm
Yeah, losing as many games as you win is such a high standard.  I thought he should have won five games last year.  We were in position, but found a way to lose the games.  That doesn't alter my expectations for year two.  Anything less than six will be a disappointment to me. 

Expectations like yours are the reason Nutt was around so damn long.

Interesting. So YOU feel Arkansas should have won at least 5, therefore YOU feel that 6 should be the minimum this year, otherwise YOU will be upset and YOU will demand that changes happen.

Thanks... i see the issue.

Wildhog

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on July 24, 2014, 04:04:02 pm
Interesting. So YOU feel Arkansas should have won at least 5, therefore YOU feel that 6 should be the minimum this year, otherwise YOU will be upset and YOU will demand that changes happen.

Thanks... i see the issue.

You just let me know when it's okay to expect a winning season from a coach being paid $3M/year.

Or you can just kiss my ass.  Either one.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

Wildhog

Five wins is the goal next year I'm sure.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Music City Hog

Quote from: Wildhog on July 24, 2014, 04:06:37 pm
You just let me know when it's okay to expect a winning season from a coach being paid $3M/year.

I chuckled

cosmodrum

Go away, batin'

Wildhog

1909/1964/1965/1977

SuperHog32

I will hit 3 consecutive powerball jackpots before arkansas goes 9-3 in 2014.  Good grief.  I get enthusiasm for the Hogs, but Rick Schaeffer wouldn't even say 9-3.  better pull the emergency brake.

Wildhog

I have to ask...  What WOULD be a disappointing record this year to you people?
1909/1964/1965/1977

WashUhog6

For what it's worth, I'm expecting 4 wins. However, I think the bar needs to be at 6 wins this year. Yes, I've seen the schedule, and yes, I've seen the roster. This program needs a bowl trip. Yeah, maybe the fans sincerely want it, and maybe they'll be pissed if they don't get it. But it's bigger than that. 6 wins and a bowl trip is a sign of healthy improvement that Bielema and his staff can take out on the recruiting trail in order to continue improving our recruiting efforts.

It isn't about whether me or Wildhog or the drunk fan at the top of the stadium will be screaming for Bielema's head; it's about setting the bar at a reasonably successful level for a coach who is as good as Bielema is supposed to be. I understand that getting to 6 will be a difficult feat, but that's exactly why we hired Bret Bielema--we expected him to face difficult odds and figure out a way to defeat them.

Uncommon

Quote from: Wildhog on July 24, 2014, 04:17:59 pm
3-9, 2-10, 1-11, or 0-12.

ricepig

Wildhog

Quote from: Uncommon on July 24, 2014, 04:19:14 pm

Jesus.

We truly have turned into a bunch of losers.  There's just no way in hell I'm not disappointed with a FOUR WIN SEASON.  This is maddening.
1909/1964/1965/1977

ricepig

Quote from: Music City Hog on July 24, 2014, 04:03:39 pm
Is scout still a thing?

I don't know, it's what was on his Wikipedia page, I didn't bother to look up the details, that isn't important around here.

Music City Hog

Quote from: Uncommon on July 24, 2014, 04:19:14 pm

^^^^^

I expect 4 wins so any of the above would, by definition, be a disappointment for me.

SPAL

Interesting that YOU end your comment by forcing someone to either agree with you or to kiss your hindparts.  As if there is no other option. In YOUR delusions, you have some sort of power to control everything around you. If it isn't YOUR standards, it's incorrect. Do these delusions typically manifest in your normal life or is it a message board complex.....

Vegas says the expectations should be around 5. That's based on sound logic, previous seasons , and our current roster. It's only a stretch for YOU.

You will be carrying the fire CBB flag once your expectations aren't reached.

Music City Hog

Quote from: ricepig on July 24, 2014, 04:23:50 pm
I don't know, it's what was on his Wikipedia page, I didn't bother to look up the details, that isn't important around here.

Solid point

Wildhog

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on July 24, 2014, 04:24:21 pm
Interesting that YOU end your comment by forcing someone to either agree with you or to kiss your hindparts.  As if there is no other option. In YOUR delusions, you have some sort of power to control everything around you. If it isn't YOUR standards, it's incorrect. Do these delusions typically manifest in your normal life or is it a message board complex.....

Vegas says the expectations should be around 5. That's based on sound logic, previous seasons , and our current roster. It's only a stretch for YOU.

You will be carrying the fire CBB flag once your expectations aren't reached.

If we only win four games this year, you're damn right I will be.  And everyone else should, too.

I'm only expecting one more win than Vegas is projecting for us.  Stop acting like I'm raising the bar to ridiculous levels.
1909/1964/1965/1977

ricepig

Quote from: Wildhog on July 24, 2014, 04:23:44 pm
Jesus.

We truly have turned into a bunch of losers.  There's just no way in hell I'm not disappointed with a FOUR WIN SEASON.  This is maddening.

Oh, I'll be disappointed with any loss, it's being a fan. Although I did tell my son the other night, I just couldn't see any way of beating Bama. I usually think on game day that some how, some way, the football Gods will look upon us favorably.

cosmodrum

Quote from: ricepig on July 24, 2014, 04:26:29 pm
Although I did tell my son the other night, I just couldn't see any way of beating Bama.

I'll be there for that blood bath.
Go away, batin'

ricepig

Deep Shoat

Disappointing?  Anything less than 8.  Unexpected?  Anything less than 5. 

It is year two of a complete overhaul.  Things SHOULD be bad.  Anything better than bad is commendable.

But less than 8 is ALWAYS disappointing. 
All Gas, No Brakes!

Hook 'em Hogs

What I THINK will happen is that we win 6 and go to a bowl game.  I won't predict a win or loss for the bowl game since I don't know who it's against.  With that being said, anything below 5 wins is a disappointment.  5 wins shows improvement (even if it's just seen as winning the games we should have won last year).  6+ means that we have done a very, very good job of building the foundation for a solid program.  As I said, I expect 6, so you know what I think of the job Bielema's doing.

cosmodrum

Quote from: ricepig on July 24, 2014, 04:33:03 pm
Oh, I'll be there for all of them.

I split my two seats with Wildhog and his corn dog wife, this year. I got the Bama game, so he and the coon ass got LSU. My hope is I get to see us beat Nichols State and pull off Ole Piss.
Go away, batin'

Wildhog

Quote from: Deep Shoat on July 24, 2014, 04:35:49 pm

It is year two of a complete overhaul.  Things SHOULD be bad.  Anything better than bad is commendable.

Do you think that four wins would be discouraging?  Because I do.

I could be okay with five wins if we're MUCH more competitive across the board this year. 
1909/1964/1965/1977

Deep Shoat

Quote from: Deep Shoat on July 24, 2014, 04:35:49 pm

Let me clarify by saying disappointing doesn't mean, "Fire the coach!" or stupid darn like that.

It simply means I am unhappy with the results of the season. 

Plain and simple common sense would tell you anything over 5 wins this season is a heck of a coaching job.
All Gas, No Brakes!

Uncommon

Quote from: Wildhog on July 24, 2014, 04:23:44 pm
Jesus.

I just view it differently than you do.  Any increase in winning percentage whether small or large is a step in the right direction in my view.  If we only get better by one win, I'll call it minor improvement.  However, I won't accept stalemate winning percentage and decreased winning percentage.  4 wins or more should be the expectation of every Razorback fan.

Wildhog

Quote from: Deep Shoat on July 24, 2014, 04:39:48 pm
Let me clarify by saying disappointing doesn't mean, "Fire the coach!" or stupid darn like that.

It simply means I am unhappy with the results of the season. 

Plain and simple common sense would tell you anything over 5 wins this season is a heck of a coaching job.

I think 5 wins is a very mediocre job.  6 would be a good job.  Anything more than that would be a great job.

OF COURSE, that's just my opinion before somebody jumps my ass.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Wildhog

Quote from: Uncommon on July 24, 2014, 04:40:35 pm
I just view it differently than you do.  Any increase in winning percentage whether small or large is a step in the right direction in my view.  If we only get better by one win, I'll call it minor improvement.  However, I won't accept stalemate winning percentage and decreased winning percentage.  4 wins or more should be the expectation of every Razorback fan.

I can't accept that premise, because we lost games that we should have won last year.  And I mean games that we were absolutely in position to win, but crapped the bed. 

There's our disconnect.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Deep Shoat

Quote from: Wildhog on July 24, 2014, 04:37:36 pm
Do you think that four wins would be discouraging?  Because I do.

I could be okay with five wins if we're MUCH more competitive across the board this year.
Discouraging?  No, I can see the trajectory of the program is on the rise.  This is a COMPLETE overhaul.  A complete overhaul that is following the worst 4 years of attrition the program has ever seen.  We are short on talent at a lot of positions.  One injury at SC, Safety, or LB could decimate our D.  We already know what an injury to BA could portend.

4 wins would suck.  But the night is always darkest just before the dawn.
All Gas, No Brakes!

Deep Shoat

Quote from: Wildhog on July 24, 2014, 04:42:44 pm
I can't accept that premise, because we lost games that we should have won last year.  And I mean games that we were absolutely in position to win, but crapped the bed. 

There's our disconnect.
So, logically, if we win all the games we SHOULD this season, it's an improvement.  No?
All Gas, No Brakes!

Wildhog

I haven't seen anything that would indicate our program is on the rise.  That's what this upcoming season is for.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Deep Shoat

The reality, for me, is 6 wins would suck.  But 6 wins would be a heck of an improvement and would see us in a bowl game.

I can be unhappy with the current win/loss situation without burning couches on Dickson.  Bielema has the Hogs moving in the right direction.  He will win here.
All Gas, No Brakes!

Wildhog

Quote from: Deep Shoat on July 24, 2014, 04:44:05 pm
So, logically, if we win all the games we SHOULD this season, it's an improvement.  No?

Depends on your definition of "should."

1909/1964/1965/1977

Uncommon

Quote from: Wildhog on July 24, 2014, 04:42:44 pm

There's our disconnect.
That's fine.  I won't hold a grudge against you.  I know the concerns you bring up are coming from a good place in that you want the program to succeed as much as the rest of us.  +1 for 6-6.

Wildhog

Quote from: Deep Shoat on July 24, 2014, 04:46:00 pm
The reality, for me, is 6 wins would suck.  But 6 wins would be a heck of an improvement and would see us in a bowl game.

I can be unhappy with the current win/loss situation without burning couches on Dickson.  Bielema has the Hogs moving in the right direction.  He will win here.

Doesn't take much to convince you of anything, huh?
1909/1964/1965/1977

Wildhog

Quote from: Uncommon on July 24, 2014, 04:46:48 pm
That's fine.  I won't hold a grudge against you.  I know the concerns you bring up are coming from a good place in that you want the program to succeed as much as the rest of us.  +1 for 6-6.

You're a better man than most around here.  +1 for 6-6 to you as well.  :)
1909/1964/1965/1977

Deep Shoat

Quote from: Wildhog on July 24, 2014, 04:44:15 pm
I haven't seen anything that would indicate our program is on the rise.  That's what this upcoming season is for.
Really?  We are recruiting better athletes at the OL and DL positions, we were the least penalized team in the SEC last season, we have shown far more discipline as a program in this offseason than any in my memory, and we have a lot of players who are 2 years into this system.

How could we not be on the rise?
All Gas, No Brakes!

Wildhog

Quote from: Deep Shoat on July 24, 2014, 04:47:54 pm
Really?  We are recruiting better athletes at the OL and DL positions, we were the least penalized team in the SEC last season, we have shown far more discipline as a program in this offseason than any in my memory, and we have a lot of players who are 2 years into this system.

How could we not be on the rise?

Let's tap the brakes on the recruiting talk.  We're recruiting some positions a little better than usual.  Some a little worse.  We're really not recruiting much differently, overall, than usual.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Wildhog

Alright, I'm about to leave work.  You guys will have to live without me for a little while.

Really enjoyed the discussion.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Deep Shoat

Quote from: Wildhog on July 24, 2014, 04:46:52 pm
Doesn't take much to convince you of anything, huh?
Discipline is something our program has lacked for a long time.  How many times have we shot ourselves in the foot with a False Start over the last 15 years.  And yet, last season saw the fewest in a long damn time. 

When was the last time we had consecutive classes with the quality and depth we have recruited on the lines?

When was the last time there were no arrests by late July?

When was the last time we kept 90% of a recruiting class on campus through the summer after their first season?

Class is a priority again, which means we will lose less players AND instill discipline.  Character is a priority, which means guys working hard and giving their all.

Yeah, I'm convinced.
All Gas, No Brakes!

Deep Shoat

Quote from: Wildhog on July 24, 2014, 04:49:22 pm
Let's tap the brakes on the recruiting talk.  We're recruiting some positions a little better than usual.  Some a little worse.  We're really not recruiting much differently, overall, than usual.
We are recruiting MUCH differently than usual.

The final number may look the same (ish), but the positions we are bringing home the bacon at are certainly different.

The game is still won in the trenches, and if you think we aren't recruiting better there you should avoid the recruiting forum.
All Gas, No Brakes!

Atlhogfan1

I hate losing but sometimes it is understandable.  For me, it is more important our program is rebuilt correctly finally with a solid foundation.  We haven't been close to that since December 1997 when the great mistake was made.  Ford was past his prime and the players weren't totally responding to his old school tough ways.  But he was close to having built a good foundation of having a complete team and a program that could have been sustainable.  White and his committee ruined that opportunity.  It is actually the only time since Broyles where we were close to having a sustainable program.  Holtz had too many distractions and squandered what Broyles had left.  Hatfield won early and some will say he had the program on solid footing.  Perhaps he did until the Tony Jones catch.  But his feud with Frank led him to quit on us and set our program way back. 

As an Arkansas football fan, I'm tired of the instability and inconsistency.  I want to see a program built the right way.  Balanced recruiting classes with high retention rates leading to rotating upperclassmen into the two deep in a few seasons.  Disciplined players where our teams don't collapse if something goes wrong leaving us in a hole.  Coaching staffs who don't have high turnover from season to season where our players are learning new systems or ways of doing things.  I don't really give a darn if we win 3,4, 5 or 6.  Sure getting to a bowl would be nice for the practice time and for the coaches to point to that with the players and recruits as a step forward.  But I'm not going to be upset if it doesn't happen. 

What I'm most concerned about is our fan base's lack of awareness of where we are and a lack of patience and how they are going to act when the losses come this season.  I don't know if I'll be disappointed with a win total.  I'll have to see how we got to it before I can know if it were a disappointment.  What I'll be disappointed in is if our fans turn on the staff in large numbers in the next couple of seasons because of a win total.  We are going to lose a lot of games probably with some blowout losses.  I won't like it.  I'll hate it is happening.  But our program isn't special enough to where it should be immune to this.  It is what it is. 

The nightmare scenario isn't that unrealistic unfortunately.  BA gets hurt again and/or we see injuries on defense early in the season and we have an ugly 3-9 season or worse 2-10 with a loss to NIU. 

As far as the "low expectations" comments, I have them for this season.  That doesn't mean my standards for Razorback football are low.  A program is not built or its worth determined by a season or a few seasons.  Good and bad teams cycle through every program.  It is what happens over the long term that creates the perception of what a program is and determines if standards are met.  My standard for Razorback football is to have teams consistently good enough to win most every game and to be competitive when they don't.  They may have 7-8 wins but be competitive in the losses and not lose those games because of inferior coaching or a lack of discipline.  For the up cycle teams to compete for championships and at some point win one and the down cycle teams to not bottom out with losing records.  We are at a low point right now, the lowest since before WWII if we have a losing season this year, because of a lack of stability, leadership and discipline in our program since 1997.  Our program cannot recruit well enough to quickly overcome the hole we are in.  I just hope our fans including those who influence decision makers don't continue this lack of stability.  Attacking our program with the success of a coach at another program is one way which it has been happening. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

dc10x1103

Quote from: ricepig on July 24, 2014, 04:21:09 pm
Nice troll, glad you could contribute.
lighten up rb.  I am no more of a troll than you are.  but HDN taught me that just because  someone is the coach of my favorite team that he ought to be on a pedestal.  I have no faith in BB's offense, I don't care for it and I do not think it will succeed here.  yes, I do like gus's offense, but I would take a number of coaches over BB.  (I like MA and DVH, and think they will do a fantastic job).

ricepig

Quote from: dc10x1103 on July 24, 2014, 05:27:58 pm
lighten up rb.  I am no more of a troll than you are.  but HDN taught me that just because  someone is the coach of my favorite team that he ought to be on a pedestal.  I have no faith in BB's offense, I don't care for it and I do not think it will succeed here.  yes, I do like gus's offense, but I would take a number of coaches over BB.  (I like MA and DVH, and think they will do a fantastic job).

rb?? You make few , if any, posts that don't mention Gus, thus you're a Troll. You don't have to like the coach to like the team, but you make sure to mention Gus in every post/thread.

Augustus

Wow.

Augustus

Quote from: Deep Shoat on July 24, 2014, 04:52:43 pm
Discipline is something our program has lacked for a long time.  How many times have we shot ourselves in the foot with a False Start over the last 15 years.  And yet, last season saw the fewest in a long damn time. 

When was the last time we had consecutive classes with the quality and depth we have recruited on the lines?

When was the last time there were no arrests by late July?

When was the last time we kept 90% of a recruiting class on campus through the summer after their first season?

Class is a priority again, which means we will lose less players AND instill discipline.  Character is a priority, which means guys working hard and giving their all.

Yeah, I'm convinced.

I'm digging this post. I feel the same way.

HogFanatic

I don't know if Allen can make that sort of jump in efficiency this year. I don't mean that as a knock against him, just calling it as it is. He barely completed 50% of his passes this past year and averages show that you can expect a QB to make a 5-7% increase in efficiency going into their junior campaign.

I'm not saying it cannot be done, because he was in fact injured last season, but what I am saying is that we will find out the extent of that injury in short order this year. If he comes out slinging it around for 60% after the first month of ball, he is a much better QB than most here have him figured for...even myself.

60% is pretty damn good by Arkansas's standards. What's the season record? 63%

Either way, I hope he proves the numbers and the naysayers wrong. I am behind the kid.

hog911

We should win at least 3 non conference games and 4 SEC games are winnable, but 3 out of the four are on the road! So realistically 5 wins would be great!!!!

MtPorker

No way this team wins 9 games.  We can be improved and not win more than last year.  That being said, I think we will win 5, hoping for 6.