Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Bold Prediction Time: Arkansas goes 9-3 if...

Started by All Bleed Red, July 24, 2014, 10:45:31 am

Previous topic - Next topic

All Bleed Red

Brandon Allen completes 60% of his passes and averages 210+ yds a game passing  ;).  After breaking down every other position I really feel that it'll come down to QB play.  I don't think this team is as far behind as most think.  Quarterback play absolutely sank us last year, yet we were still in plenty of games against the big guys of SEC (LSU, Auburn, & Tex am).  Our lines should be stout, and we all know we have big time RB's.  My glasses may be Rosy but write it down  8).  The defense should be good enough to keep us competitive.  Bring on the season (and criticism), I'm excited!

OLDHOG

Well I certainly hope you are right. I'm ready to get it started.

GuvHog

Quote from: All Bleed Red on July 24, 2014, 10:45:31 am
Brandon Allen completes 60% of his passes and averages 210+ yds a game passing  ;).  After breaking down every other position I really feel that it'll come down to QB play.  I don't think this team is as far behind as most think.  Quarterback play absolutely sank us last year, yet we were still in plenty of games against the big guys of SEC (LSU, Auburn, & Tex am).  Our lines should be stout, and we all know we have big time RB's.  My glasses may be Rosy but write it down  8).  The defense should be good enough to keep us competitive.  Bring on the season (and criticism), I'm excited!

That's a very bold prediction. My maximum prediction was 8-4 and that's if the injury bug doesn't bite the Hogs again.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

HF#1

Only way we go 9-3 is if our back 7 on defense have improved dramatically.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: HogFan#1 on July 24, 2014, 10:57:56 am
Only way we go 9-3 is if our back 7 on defense have improved dramatically.

DING
DING
DING

And I expect improvement, but nothing drastic.  We should be ecstatic with simply gaining bowl eligibility this season.  Would be a great result given the current condition of the program.  2015 should be much more promising.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

bao187

Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Hoggish1

oldbear

If the Hogs go 9-3 this season, CBB should not only be named Coach of the Year in the conference and nation, but in every conference in the nation and all the awards should be renamed for him.  I would love for it to happen, but I just don't see it.  Now come game day each week, I will convince myself that we are going to win every single game and will be cheering until I am hoarse, but I will be a very satisfied fan if we get to a bowl game and ecstatic if we win it.

Dwight_K_Shrute

I'm starting to turn the corner just because getting negative all the time gets old.  When you bread it down objectively study it really hard this team was as close to 6-6 as they were to 3-9. 

Brandon made some mistakes and gets hurt, Bielema made some mistakes, had some bad luck and the chemistry with Ash just wasn't there.

With a healthy and wiser BA, and a smarter, more seasoned staff 6-6 should be very achievable. 

9-3 is a very bold prediction, just can't let bold predictions get in the way enjoying (as much as you can enjoy) a 6-6 season and some real progress.  After the last 2 years any bowl will be a great bowl.  I don't care if it's Shreveport, Birmingham, or wherever.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

ThatGUY

That's the thing about training camp and August.
Everyone starts of 0-0, then as fans we get to see who put in the work during the offseason, who got better, and who is happy with staus quo.
Hoping the Hogs see adequate improvement this year, I always try to make it to 1 or 2 home games.

troyer37

I love your optimistic attitude i just don't see it though. I hope I am wrong. If we win six games i will be thrilled. I just don't have faith in our defense yet and our qb. Until they prove it I will continue to have no faith. Our corners and linebackers are going to have improve tremndously and BA is going to step up and have to make some passes. Every team is going to load the box on us and who could blame them. BA is going to have to give the running backs some space to run and if he can do that we have a chance at winning some big games if he can't i can see a repeat of last year.

Dwight_K_Shrute

Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

Al Boarland

Wildhog

You can make a very reasonable argument that we should have won the Rutgers, MSU and LSU games.

He should have won at least five last year.  He needs to win six this year.  That's the benchmark for me.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

ldfergu

I do agree the success of this team centers around the  play of Brandon Allen.  If he is much improved I think the rest of the team feeds off of it.

Will it equate to 9 wins?  Doubtful.  But I think we will be much better (7 wins) this year.

ldfergu

Even Coach has maintained that we do not have the players to be the team we want to be... So 9 seems unlikely.

Hogwild

Quote from: Wildhog on July 24, 2014, 11:22:46 am
You can make a very reasonable argument that we should have won the Rutgers, MSU and LSU games..

I would say could instead of should.  But I will be happy with any bowl game this year.

Uncommon

it's the year 2015 or 2016.

Ain't happenin' this year.  8-4 is likely our ceiling this year.

Uncommon

Quote from: Wildhog on July 24, 2014, 11:22:46 am
He needs to win six this year.  That's the benchmark for me.
Agree somewhat.  Not that he needs to win 6 (I think needs to win at least 4) but 6 wins or more is a good benchmark for how fast the program is improving.  If he goes 4-8 or 5-7, then the program is improving but not at a good rate.  If he goes 6-6, 7-5, or 8-4, then the program is improving at a very good rate.  If he goes 3-9 or worse, the program is not improving.

Wildhog

Quote from: Uncommon on July 24, 2014, 11:32:39 am
Agree somewhat.  Not that he needs to win 6 (I think needs to win at least 4) but 6 wins or more is a good benchmark for how fast the program is improving.  If he goes 4-8 or 5-7, then the program is improving but not at a good rate.  If he goes 6-6, 7-5, or 8-4, then the program is improving at a very good rate.  If he goes 3-9 or worse, the program is not improving.

Like I said, he should have won five last year.  Four wins would be EXTREMELY disappointing. 
1909/1964/1965/1977

LRRandy

Quote from: Al Boarland on July 24, 2014, 11:17:01 am
Sticking with 5 wins.
5 shows improvement. I think that is the number. More than 5, well, coach B will be a little ahead of schedule in my mind.
This is fun, isn't it.

Wildhog

It's unreal how low the bar is being set.  The psychological toll these last few years have taken on our fanbase is depressing.

1909/1964/1965/1977

Uncommon

Quote from: Wildhog on July 24, 2014, 11:36:29 am
Like I said, he should have won five last year.  Four wins would be EXTREMELY disappointing. 
Agree.  Not that 4 would be extremely disappointing but that it would indeed be somewhat disappointing.

DZ

just curious, how much will everyone's predictions change for the year if BA throws 2 picks in the first half against Auburn?  I really, really hope he has improved as much as we are being led to believe, because usually I'm getting really excited for football this time of year, but I'm going to take the wait and see approach before I believe any hype this year (again).

Wildhog

Quote from: Uncommon on July 24, 2014, 11:39:43 am
Agree.  Not that 4 would be extremely disappointing but that it would indeed be somewhat disappointing.

It would to me.  It shouldn't take two years to get back to John L Smith level. 
1909/1964/1965/1977

GuvHog

Quote from: Wildhog on July 24, 2014, 11:36:29 am

Another losing season would be extremely disappointing. Winning less than 6 games is unacceptable.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Uncommon

Quote from: Wildhog on July 24, 2014, 11:39:23 am
It's unreal how low the bar is being set.  The psychological toll these last few years have taken on our fanbase is depressing.
We've sent James Cameron to the depths of the ocean to find the bar and raise it.

Wildhog

Quote from: Uncommon on July 24, 2014, 11:43:22 am
We've sent James Cameron to the depths of the ocean to find the bar and raise it.

James Cameron doesn't do what James Cameron does for James Cameron. James Cameron does what James Cameron does because James Cameron is... James Cameron.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Calling All Hogs

I agree a losing season would be disappointing. Arkansas spends the resources to have a major college program.

Wildhog

Quote from: Calling All Hogs on July 24, 2014, 11:47:56 am
I agree a losing season would be disappointing. Arkansas spends the resources to have a major college program.

Thank you.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Phil D

I am one of the more optimistic fans on the board, but I don't see 9 wins this year. Hope you are right but I just don't see it.we will get there though :razorback:
GO HOGS!!!!!!

Uncommon

Just wanted to disclaim that I think we will go 6-6 this season.  Just so no one thinks I'm a Debbie Downer.

TOM "tbw1"

Quote from: Wildhog on July 24, 2014, 11:39:23 am

Quote from: Wildhog on July 24, 2014, 11:40:51 am
It would to me.  It shouldn't take two years to get back to John L Smith level. 
Quote from: GuvHog on July 24, 2014, 11:42:19 am
Another losing season would be extremely disappointing. Winning less than 6 games is unacceptable.

No one likes to lose football games.  It tears your heart out as a player and a coach.

Keep in mind:  [1] No Razorback team has ever played as tough a schedule as this year.  [2] For whatever reason, the last few recruiting classes before last year were not productive.  [3]  The SEC West is loaded.  No previous Arkansas coach has faced the division as it is the past two years. 

It is very possible that there be vast improvement all along the team and the win total be less than six.  The bright side of this is that Arkansas fans are not as dumb as they are portrayed and understand the situation.

However, understanding does not lessen the pain of losing.  The hope is that we have finally reached a point where we can recruit on a plane close to those in the SEC West as far as facilities go and the fact that this staff has more than one good recruiter. 

Guv and I will spring for the iced tea if we go bowling.
Well see, there's your problem. What you should be thinking is, what would Harry Rex do?

Uncommon

I think the Missouri game at the end of the year will be a bowl eligibility defining game for us.  I think we'll head into that game with a 5-6 record.

Hogeration

Quote from: StoneTemplePiglets on July 24, 2014, 11:23:04 am
I do agree the success of this team centers around the  play of Brandon Allen.  If he is much improved I think the rest of the team feeds off of it.

Will it equate to 9 wins?  Doubtful.  But I think we will be much better (7 wins) this year.

I agree with this.  As much as we need the D to step up, it was clear during the USCe game that BA is what makes our team go.  We looked great at start.  Then BA threw INT and the entire team gave up.  Most embarrassing loss I've ever sat in the stands for.

Wildhog

Quote from: TOM "tbw1" WILSON on July 24, 2014, 11:57:29 am
No one likes to lose football games.  It tears your heart out as a player and a coach.

Keep in mind:  [1] No Razorback team has ever played as tough a schedule as this year.  [2] For whatever reason, the last few recruiting classes before last year were not productive.  [3]  The SEC West is loaded.  No previous Arkansas coach has faced the division as it is the past two years. 

It is very possible that there be vast improvement all along the team and the win total be less than six.  The bright side of this is that Arkansas fans are not as dumb as they are portrayed and understand the situation.

However, understanding does not lessen the pain of losing.  The hope is that we have finally reached a point where we can recruit on a plane close to those in the SEC West as far as facilities go and the fact that this staff has more than one good recruiter. 

Guv and I will spring for the iced tea if we go bowling.

While this is a very difficult schedule, it's really not much different than what we've had in the past.  We've consistently been at or near the top in SOS.  http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/2013/arkansas-strength-of-schedule/
http://www.fbschedules.com/2013/07/phil-steele-2013-college-football-strength-of-schedule-rankings/

And the way you get productivity out of your recruiting classes is by developing them.  If they aren't getting it done, then we have to question how they're being developed.

I'm sorry.  I appreciate your non-condescending response, but I'm still very firmly of the belief that anything less than six wins would be disappointing.  I really do think it's a reasonable position.
1909/1964/1965/1977

TOM "tbw1"

Quote from: Wildhog on July 24, 2014, 12:09:30 pm
While this is a very difficult schedule, it's really not much different than what we've had in the past.  We've consistently been at or near the top in SOS.  http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/2013/arkansas-strength-of-schedule/
http://www.fbschedules.com/2013/07/phil-steele-2013-college-football-strength-of-schedule-rankings/

And the way you get productivity out of your recruiting classes is by developing them.  If they aren't getting it done, then we have to question how they're being developed.

I'm sorry.  I appreciate your non-condescending response, but I'm still very firmly of the belief that anything less than six wins would be disappointing.  I really do think it's a reasonable position.

In order to develop recruits they have to be here to be coached.  Our attrition rate has been horrendous.  With the 85 cap, there is little wiggle room.

Other teams have faced a difficult SOS but our depth is so precarious, we cannot stand any injury.

I hope you are right and we go bowling.  I will be disappointed if we do not but I also see a bright future for the program.  Anyone satisfied with a low bar is not a Razorback fan. 
Well see, there's your problem. What you should be thinking is, what would Harry Rex do?

Steef

HF#1

Quote from: GuvHog on July 24, 2014, 11:42:19 am

Making the leap from 3-9 to even 6-6 can prove to be difficult, especially in our league.  So using words like "unacceptable" is a little harsh.  If they are competitive and go 5-7, it's still improvement.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

Steef

Quote from: HogFan#1 on July 24, 2014, 12:30:42 pm
Making the leap from 3-9 to even 6-6 can prove to be difficult, especially in our league.  So using words like "unacceptable" is a little harsh.  If they are competitive and go 5-7, it's still improvement.

Here's my thinking on this thing...

We literally had TWO PLAYS last year that kept us from being 5-7....anyway. Two plays. Which means we were 'in it' with at least 2 SEC teams.

And our team last year had REAL issues. We had three true freshmen starting on the Oline, for crying out loud. And our QB had one arm in a sling for most of the season. His throwing arm.

I can't help but believe we WILL actually be better this year.

And as tough as our conference is...several of our opponents have issues of their own. At least four (off the top of my head) will be starting brand new QBs. It's entirely possible that most of our conference will NOT be better than they were last year.

I'm going with 7-5.

Wildhog

Quote from: HogFan#1 on July 24, 2014, 12:30:42 pm

The problem I have with this is that we should have won more than three last year.  He always needed to win six by year two.  Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory in several games last year doesn't change that.  There's just nothing anyone can say to convince me we shouldn't have beaten AT LEAST Rutgers and MSU last season.  That MSU game was some of the worst football/coaching I have ever seen.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Steef

Quote from: Wildhog on July 24, 2014, 12:35:23 pm
The problem I have with this is that we should have won more than three last year.  He always needed to win six by year two.  Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory in several games last year doesn't change that.  There's just nothing anyone can say to convince me we shouldn't have beaten AT LEAST Rutgers and MSU last season.  That MSU game was some of the worst football/coaching I have ever seen.

Yep.

It's like Bret just ran out on that field and STRIPPED that ball from Alex.

Crumby thing for Bret to do.

Wildhog

Quote from: steefhog on July 24, 2014, 12:39:35 pm
Yep.

It's like Bret just ran out on that field and STRIPPED that ball from Alex.

Crumby thing for Bret to do.

Were you there?  Because I was, and that was one of the worst displays of football that I've ever seen.  At one point, our entire section was screaming not to fake the punt, because it was so obvious.  We faked it anyway... again. 
1909/1964/1965/1977

Steef

Quote from: Wildhog on July 24, 2014, 12:44:15 pm
Were you there?  Because I was, and that was one of the worst displays of football that I've ever seen.  At one point, our entire section was screaming not to fake the punt, because it was so obvious.  We faked it anyway... again.

So what you're telling me is...Bret (or someone on the staff) made a bad call.

Thank goodness no one ELSE makes bad calls! Like...oh...attempting a 1,000 yard field goal when your kicker has been missing them all night from the 20...and letting the other team run it back for a game winning touchdown.

THOSE...kinds of goober mistakes? Golly. Who was that again? Probably a terrible coach.

And we STILL would have won the MSU game, if Alex had held onto the ball.

Poo happens.

Anyway, 2014 will be improved.

Wildhog

Quote from: steefhog on July 24, 2014, 12:54:11 pm
So what you're telling me is...Bret (or someone on the staff) made a bad call.

Thank goodness no one ELSE makes bad calls! Like...oh...attempting a 1,000 yard field goal when your kicker has been missing them all night from the 20...and letting the other team run it back for a game winning touchdown.

THOSE...kinds of goober mistakes? Golly. Who was that again? Probably a terrible coach.

And we STILL would have won the MSU game, if Alex had held onto the ball.

Poo happens.

Anyway, 2014 will be improved.

So you agree with me.  Good.  We should have won more games last year.

He needs to get to six this year.
1909/1964/1965/1977

ldfergu

Quote from: TOM "tbw1" WILSON on July 24, 2014, 11:57:29 am

Keep in mind:  [1] No Razorback team has ever played as tough a schedule as this year. 

Just because that's what the national media says doesn't make it fact.  We've played plenty of tough schedules throughout the years and this one's no different.  The truth is that we get the two heaviest hitters (Bama and LSU) at home this year, both of which are breaking in new QB's.  Hell, the entire league is breaking in new QB's.

My prediction of 7 wins is attainable and that's what I'm shootin for.  I understand that may not happen but we have every opportunity to reach that goal.  Plus, we play a few more games at home than on the road this year. 

Steef

Quote from: Wildhog on July 24, 2014, 12:58:10 pm
So you agree with me.  Good.  We should have won more games last year.

He needs to get to six this year.

Or what?

YOU...gonna fire him?

If he gets to six...does that mean you will suddenly be happy with him?

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: bao187 on July 24, 2014, 11:00:49 am
hell freezes over

If it means his prediction comes true after what we've endured the last couple of years I'm fine with that!
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

GolfnHog

I understand the concerns w/ BA going into this season but allow me this: He threw pretty effectively the 1st 2 games, last year,  prior to the shoulder injury and yes, was very ineffective for the next 7 or so weeks.  That being said, I thought he started coming back into form the last couple of weeks in the season.

I'm no doctor but what I do know about injuries is this. Regardless how much progress you make physically, until your mind is clear of thinking of the injury you have a tendency to "guard" against pain, pressure and what you perceive as "not normal" and that impacts every dammed mechanic you have while trying to rehabilitate.

All this being said, I think that with time to heal, his efforts to improve his mechanics (on his own dime) and his ownership to be a more vocal leader gives the Razorbacks greater chances than they had last season.

I'm also hoping that Coach Jennings has the back 7 ready to be defenders instead of sprinters trying to catch a receiver. My prediction: 6-6 and a bowl invitation and w/ a bowl invitation tell me Hog Nation won't pack that city and stadium after the last 2 years!
Have you ever listened to someone  or read what they put into thoughts and wondered...."who ties your shoelaces for you?"