Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Punter - Blake Johnson Commits to UA

Started by GEO-HOG, July 24, 2014, 09:54:06 am

Previous topic - Next topic

GEO-HOG

July 24, 2014, 09:54:06 am Last Edit: July 26, 2014, 10:31:19 pm by Oklahawg
I know the kicker/punters don't normally get some press but this guy is good.  RD says he is visiting and is a nationally ranked punter from California.  I heard Dudley on Bo's show yesterday mention that he wants to play in the SEC, wants to commit at the end of July, and whoever has offered by then he will decide from.  He likely gets an offer from us and is supposed to visit LSU after this weekend. 

It would be great to have the #1 kicker and nationally ranked punter in back to back years.  Should have a solid kicking game for the next 4 years.

http://247sports.com/Player/Blake-Johnson-65191

http://chrissailerkicking.com/player-rankings/profile.php?player=3197

MOD EDIT: Added "commit" tag to title of thread. -OH

Hoggish1

Yes, we need him.  The kicking game is very important in the SEC!

Music City Hog

Especially when you punt as much as we do! Zing!

Just kidding, I'd like to get this guy.

ARtillahog

Quote from: Music City Hog on July 24, 2014, 10:38:07 am

This made me laugh and then cry and then it made me angry at you.

secneahog

Having a killer punter is crucial. If we land him it will be big. We would have our punting and kicking game finalized for years to come.

Remix MMA.  Alan "the talent" Belcher - Born_Imboden Arkansas- Next 185 UFC Champ!

Music City Hog

Quote from: ARtillahog on July 24, 2014, 12:27:57 pm

This is a great post!

Tim Harris

Quote from: Music City Hog on July 24, 2014, 10:38:07 am

I've came back to read this post 3 times just so I can laugh again.  After the day I've had it was much needed.

ARtillahog

Quote from: Music City Hog on July 24, 2014, 12:38:59 pm
This is a great post!

I figured after all of the "Cheating" (really it's just finding loop holes rather than blatant cheating) thread, this is actually what most fans feel.  They know you're right but don't want to hear it so the only logical action left is to bust your knee caps.  I hope you understand.

tophawg19

wonder what his 40 time is ? just in case we add the fake punts back in .
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

GEO-HOG

looks like we offered

Blake Johnson
‏@bjohnson3897
Excited to say that my 4th offer is from the University of Arkansas! Feeling so blessed. #WPS #GoHogs #SEC

mhuff

Quote from: ARtillahog on July 24, 2014, 04:35:16 pm
I figured after all of the "Cheating" (really it's just finding loop holes rather than blatant cheating) thread, this is actually what most fans feel.  They know you're right but don't want to hear it so the only logical action left is to bust your knee caps.  I hope you understand.

Easy, that's all in the past. This year we are going to score a lot more TD's..... Really

Music City Hog

Quote from: ARtillahog on July 24, 2014, 04:35:16 pm

I completely understand and don't take it personally. You can't make everybody happy all of time.

ImHogginIt

Look who the lead recruiter for Texas is  ::hornsdown::

HOGINTENNESSEE

SP lost us many close games in the Nutt Era.

CBP was a great offensive mind but one of the best things he did IMO was improve our special teams.

We would have lost to Vanderbilt if not for Hocker drilling like 5 FG.

CBB also appears to really understand the importance of this as well.

MH04

davril98

davril98

Quote from: ARtillahog on July 24, 2014, 12:27:57 pm
I mean these two posts!
Dammit! The one from Music City Hog too!
Nevermind.  I suck at this.

redeye

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on July 25, 2014, 07:40:15 am
SP lost us many close games in the Nutt Era.

CBP was a great offensive mind but one of the best things he did IMO was improve our special teams.

We would have lost to Vanderbilt if not for Hocker drilling like 5 FG.

CBB also appears to really understand the importance of this as well.

Ack!

Every mention of 5 FG's takes me back to the 15-14 loss to Texas in the 80's.  Still haven't gotten over that one, but it's more proof of how important kickers are to the team.

Amityvillehogger

Lots of twitter love towards hogs from him right now.
Member # 2987.
Registered - 02-23-2005

870hogfan

Quote from: Amityvillehogger on July 26, 2014, 09:33:40 pm
Lots of twitter love towards hogs from him right now.

He is tweeting all of that while visiting LSU.

870hogfan

Looks like he just committed to Arkansas! 

redeye

Quote from: 870hogfan on July 26, 2014, 09:43:00 pm

He is tweeting all of that while visiting LSU.

Didn't think I could like him any better, but...

HogWildBison2011

its official he just committed! WPS

redeye

I should have waited a second, because now I like him even more... lol   :razorback:

HogWildBison2011

HEY GUYS!! I even found his announcement video! WPS

NLRHog92

Awesome! Special teams are looking rock solid for the next couple of years! Now just need an electric punt returner. Hopefully we can hang onto him. I know he's received a lot of attention and will get even more being the #1 punter in the nation and Army All-American, but definitely promising he committed shortly after his visit!  :razorback:

SPAL

redeye

How dumb is it that he'll bring down our class ranking, even though he'll give us an advantage over teams that don't sign a punter?

Just another example of why rating services can be really dumb.

tophawg19

and yes he can play LB' er . very well actually

coastalrazorback

Quote from: redeye on July 26, 2014, 09:58:57 pm
How dumb is it that he'll bring down our class ranking, even though he'll give us an advantage over teams that don't sign a punter?

Just another example of why rating services can be really dumb.

I've never understood why these rating services don't use a separate criteria for the punters/kickers. The highest rated punter in the nation is a 2 star. Makes no sense.

Regardless, great to get this commitment!  :razorback:

MissippHog

RazorBassin

WPS!  Welcome Mr. Johnson!

forrest city joe

Very nice pick-up. welcome to the family Blake Johnson.

1highhog

Great pick up for us.  This is when recruiting services are dumbarses, this makes absolutely no sense when you get the best rated player at his position and it actually brings down your overall class ranking.

Welcome to Razorback Nation Mr. Johnson.

Oklahawg

Fantastic pickup. Cannot overlook having elite-level special teams players.

Hedlund, Marshall, Cornelius, and now Johnson. The future is bright.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Wildhog

Big time get.  We all know how important special teams play is.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

tophawg19

he is not just a punter , this kid is an athlete too. if he needs to tackle somebody , they will get hit hard and he runs pretty well to . fast coming off the corner as a LB'er .

HOGINTENNESSEE

Watched his highlights a lot of punts with 4.0 sec hang time or better. Very nice

SamBuckhart

Welcome Mr. Blake Johnson! WPS! :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:
BE TRUE TO YOUR SCHOOL. THE UNIVERSITY OF ARKANSAS!!!  WOOO PIG!!!

Uncommon

Quote from: Wildhog on July 26, 2014, 10:32:45 pm
Big time get.  We all know how important special teams play is.
Agree.  Like that we're solidifying the K and P positions.  They'll probably recruit a really good long snapper this year as well to replace Allan D'Appollonio.

PygmalionEffect

That's a huge commitment.

Extra tough on Pondwater Jack's gout because he's a kicker.
Pygmalion Effect - The phenomenon in which the greater the expectation placed upon people, the better they perform.

thefisher

I miss the smell of the mud, grass, and sweat of the practice field. I miss blood oozing down your arm from the rip in your skin that was slashed on a guys helmet as you punked him at the line of scrimmage and put his dobber in the dirt.

Hawgzinbowlz

Welcome to The Hogs Mr. Blake Johnson.
Another example of the coaches filling a need.

" GO HOGS "

SemperFi

WPS! Another rock solid commitment to the Hogs. Congrats to Blake Johnson and welcome to our family.
Some people wonder all their lives if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem. - Ronald Reagan

prattville pig

Life's too short to last long.

Sivad

Great news. He will be a real asset to the team :razorback:. WPS

pigture perfect

Welcome Blake. Looking forward to you getting here.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

hogville38

Quote from: GEO-HOG on July 24, 2014, 09:54:06 am
I know the kicker/punters don't normally get some press but this guy is good.  RD says he is visiting and is a nationally ranked punter from California.  I heard Dudley on Bo's show yesterday mention that he wants to play in the SEC, wants to commit at the end of July, and whoever has offered by then he will decide from.  He likely gets an offer from us and is supposed to visit LSU after this weekend. 

It would be great to have the #1 kicker and nationally ranked punter in back to back years.  Should have a solid kicking game for the next 4 years.

http://247sports.com/Player/Blake-Johnson-65191

http://chrissailerkicking.com/player-rankings/profile.php?player=3197

MOD EDIT: Added "commit" tag to title of

whosiskid

Interesting that our last two punters were from California, though the previous one from  juco ball in California.
"It's no trick to make a lot of money...if all you want...is to make a lot of money." - Bernstein, in Citizen Kane

"What if you were given the task of entertaining yourself all day but were finished by noon?" - Kierkegaard

"The disposition to admire, and almost to worship, the rich and the powerful, and to despise, or, at least, to neglect, persons of poor and mean condition [is] the great and most universal cause of the corruption of our moral sentiments." - Adam Smith

"That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves." - Kim Stanley Robinson

SoonerSooie

Fantastic, although, I hope we score so many TDs that they convert him to LB!! Kid looks great!