Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

BREAKING NEWS - Bonfield hits 3 bombs in his first collegiate summer league game

Started by ucahogfan, July 23, 2014, 08:43:15 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ucahogfan

Will Toffey @willtoffey     ·   31m   

Shoutout to my boy @LukeBonfield for dropping three bombs in his first game with the sharks #bombsquad #sec

You can go over to the summer baseball thread to read more, but I felt like an accomplishment such as this deserved its own thread.  And I think a more appropriate hashtag would have been #baumsquad.

A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S

Kevin

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

flippinhogmana

Mr. Bonfield, along with the new bat or ball (I've lost track about which one is going to be altered next) might prove to be very interesting next year.  I think we are going to enjoy it!
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

onebadrubi

What bat did he use in College?  Same as collegiate?  Also, is he using a bbcore now in this summer league or wood?

That's awesome news! 

ucahogfan

Quote from: onebadrubi on July 23, 2014, 11:29:29 pm
What bat did he use in College?  Same as collegiate?  Also, is he using a bbcore now in this summer league or wood?

That's awesome news!
Summer leagues all tend to be wood bat leagues and I think I read that the Futures League is a wood bat league.

I'm not sure of the type of ball they are using though.  It could be the new college ball, the pro ball, or the old college ball.  I think it was the summer of 2012 that a lot of players had great summers offensively and it was attributed to certain leagues using flat seam balls.

SPAL

Hawgzinbowlz

ucahogfan

Although the field isn't very big, it is good to see that Bonfield hit his HRs to left, center, and right.  I don't think his HR to center would be out at Baum, but the HRs to left and right looked way out.

cosmodrum

Go away, batin'

Suidae Suis Scrofa

Quote from: ucahogfan on July 24, 2014, 11:52:29 pm
Although the field isn't very big, it is good to see that Bonfield hit his HRs to left, center, and right.  I don't think his HR to center would be out at Baum, but the HRs to left and right looked way out.

I wonder.  The dimensions of Leary Field in Portsmouth are about 287' down the left field line, 285' down the right and 357' at straight away center.  From the video it looks like the fence was about 296' where the first HR went out, 348' for the second and 289' for the third HR.

I agree that he had an impressive display for hit first game in the cape getting 3 HR's to all fields and a grand slam to boot, but I'm not sure those balls would have cleared the fence at Baum.

-phil

azhog10

290 ft to left? I'm not sure I agree that ball would have been out in Baum. It looked to me to have barely cleared the fence in left unless I missed something. The guy in the video even said it was a Leary Field gift, implying in any other field it's a long out. But the one to right was a bomb for sure.

ucahogfan

Quote from: azhog10 on July 25, 2014, 02:22:02 pm
290 ft to left? I'm not sure I agree that ball would have been out in Baum. It looked to me to have barely cleared the fence in left unless I missed something. The guy in the video even said it was a Leary Field gift, implying in any other field it's a long out. But the one to right was a bomb for sure.
Yeah, after re-watching the video, I have to agree with you.  The scary thing is that it looks like from the video that Bonfield has easy power and the ball just jumps off his bat.  I thought he might be a 5 HR type guy his freshman, but a lot of doubles and triples.  It might still be that way, but it appears he has more power in his bat right now than I thought he did.

flippinhogmana

Maybe it's just because I have been following this year more in recruiting (but I don't think so), and then again maybe its just intuition but I have a feeling about this group coming in that I don't think I have ever had about a class before, not even Zack Cox's class.  Maybe its that they have twitter and other commo gear that others havent had, but they seemed closer to each other, more supportive and more motivated, goal oriented than past classes.

I havent posted much (well quite a bit more than what it shows under my current nick since I have had two other nicks on this site over the last five years) just read mostly.  I have followed razorback sports since before I attended there in 1969-70.  I have followed online a lot since 2002.  I think I first came over to this board about five years or so ago. 

In some ways I am closer to hog baseball than the other sports, I guess because my physical gifts were better suited for baseball, so I have a more natural interest.  I know the players better in baseball than in the other sports as well, especially since the days of Kevin McReynolds, Tim Lollar, etc.    All that said, I do know baseball.  But beyond my knowing is a feeling.  I like these guys coming in.  I wouldn't be at all surprised if they don't exceed the expectation (high ones) that we have for them.  I also don't think it will take long for them to do it. 
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S

Quote from: flippinhogmana on July 25, 2014, 10:53:04 pm
Maybe it's just because I have been following this year more in recruiting (but I don't think so), and then again maybe its just intuition but I have a feeling about this group coming in that I don't think I have ever had about a class before, not even Zack Cox's class.  Maybe its that they have twitter and other commo gear that others havent had, but they seemed closer to each other, more supportive and more motivated, goal oriented than past classes.

I havent posted much (well quite a bit more than what it shows under my current nick since I have had two other nicks on this site over the last five years) just read mostly.  I have followed razorback sports since before I attended there in 1969-70.  I have followed online a lot since 2002.  I think I first came over to this board about five years or so ago. 

In some ways I am closer to hog baseball than the other sports, I guess because my physical gifts were better suited for baseball, so I have a more natural interest.  I know the players better in baseball than in the other sports as well, especially since the days of Kevin McReynolds, Tim Lollar, etc.    All that said, I do know baseball.  But beyond my knowing is a feeling.  I like these guys coming in.  I wouldn't be at all surprised if they don't exceed the expectation (high ones) that we have for them.  I also don't think it will take long for them to do it.
Think most of us feel the same way about this class. You should post more.

Maddhog

Quote from: flippinhogmana on July 25, 2014, 10:53:04 pm

This class does seem to have confidence in themselves and each other.  I'm excited.
"He hits from both sides of the plate.  He's amphibious."