Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Opponent Player Dismissals/Suspensions/etc.

Started by Three and Snout, July 23, 2014, 02:57:39 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Three and Snout

At the risk of jinxing the Hogs, has anyone else noticed how many of our 2014 opponents have players being arrested/dismissed/injured/possibly suspended for our game against them this year?  Personally, I like it.  It's about time our off-season/preseason doesn't hurt our chances on the field in the fall and that bad luck strikes our opposition instead. 

Before the "I want them at full strength when we play them" opinion is expressed, please consider the following two points.  The Razorbacks have had their fair share of preseason and in-season injuries in recent years that affected our ability to compete at "full strength" against several of these opponents.  Also, dismissals/suspensions can be attributed to a coach's recruiting and/or discipline, so the loss of those players should factor in to a game's result just as much as play calling/scheming, clock/timeout management, overall player talent level, etc.

I'll admit I have been pessimistic about our chances this season, but maybe the ball is starting to bounce our direction a little.  Either way, I can't wait to find out!  WPS!  GHG!

Razorfox

I wouldn't go so far as to say I like bad things happening to people; criminal behavior, injuries, etc.  But I will join in on being happy that it hasn't happened to us. 

Three and Snout

Quote from: Razorfox on July 23, 2014, 03:13:05 pm
I wouldn't go so far as to say I like bad things happening to people; criminal behavior, injuries, etc.  But I will join in on being happy that it hasn't happened to us.

That's true.  I don't wish injuries on anyone, but if they happen, I'd rather them happen to an opponent than the Hogs.  However, legal and academic problems can be avoided if the player wants to do things the right way.

Hoggish1

Actually, dismissals are like penalties in a game.  You win when you eliminate them.

Three and Snout

Quote from: Hoggish1 on July 23, 2014, 03:30:09 pm
Actually, dismissals are like penalties in a game.  You win when you eliminate them.

That's a good analogy.  And CBB seems to be doing well to reduce both.

Augustus

It has been a busy week in that regard...

J Taylor from Georgia that was cut for "aggravated assault"

That kid in LSU who nearly tore his arm off for punching a glass wall or window

That kid at TCU? (not our opponent, but still) who allegedly pointed a gun at his girlfriend's face, then punched her in the face?

Thank goodness the Hogs (knock on wood) have managed to stay out of the headlines for this kind of crap.

BatesvilleHOG

Now it's our turn to kick em while they're down and we're on the rise again.

I'm glad coach B has a firm enough grip on our program and is not allowing the same things to happen to us.

Razor6

We will take all the breaks we can get!  People only remember records at the end of the year.

Plus... How many lucky breaks do the hogs ever get?  I think our baseball team got to first base on offense once, when he was actually late to 1st.  Once...
I was there when we melted the internet!  Were you?

Bacons Rebellion

I always believe that an opponent's injury BEFORE they play the Hogs is better than an injury AFTER they play us, because they will get better sooner.

Yes, that's it.

Paul

I don't think this is happenstance.  BB recruits high character kids.  It'll pay off sooner rather than later.

SamBuckhart

Having raised many teenagers. This is a very great accomplishment. Kudos to CBB.
BE TRUE TO YOUR SCHOOL. THE UNIVERSITY OF ARKANSAS!!!  WOOO PIG!!!

TXArcher

I'm glad to see it, or at least glad the hogs haven't had to deal with it after the issues over the past few years.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: Three and Snout on July 23, 2014, 02:57:39 pm
At the risk of jinxing the Hogs, has anyone else noticed how many of our 2014 opponents have players being arrested/dismissed/injured/possibly suspended for our game against them this year?  Personally, I like it.  It's about time our off-season/preseason doesn't hurt our chances on the field in the fall and that bad luck strikes our opposition instead. 

Before the "I want them at full strength when we play them" opinion is expressed, please consider the following two points.  The Razorbacks have had their fair share of preseason and in-season injuries in recent years that affected our ability to compete at "full strength" against several of these opponents.  Also, dismissals/suspensions can be attributed to a coach's recruiting and/or discipline, so the loss of those players should factor in to a game's result just as much as play calling/scheming, clock/timeout management, overall player talent level, etc.

I'll admit I have been pessimistic about our chances this season, but maybe the ball is starting to bounce our direction a little.  Either way, I can't wait to find out!  WPS!  GHG!
It's my understanding that St. Gus, having barely missed the NC last year, has declared "Never again"! He's put into place the foundation of ensuring that AWbarn will be the number 1 in playing thugs and thieves. Not only will he play a pot smoking QB this season, but a disgraced UGA defensive back who recently transferred after being removed from the Bulldog team. When interviewed Malzahn expressed excitement over the "high" character of his team. At the same time Coach Gus expressed his disappointment that recently dismissed Missouri WR Dorial (sp) Green-Beckham wasn't able to meet the lofty character standards set for admission at AU. "We would really loved to have had DGB; however, he just didn't have enough police run-ins for us to waste a scholarship on. If he'd had applied himself just a little bit more and had a few more police blotter moments we, along with LSU, would have been in the lead for his (future) services. Hopefully we can get the next "All-American thug".

prattville pig

Right now is the time this kind of stuff happens, when the kids go home for a week or two before camp starts up.
Life's too short to last long.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: prattville pig on July 24, 2014, 08:59:34 am
Right now is the time this kind of stuff happens, when the kids go home for a week or two before camp starts up.
You mean there's still time LSU to get their maximum # of players involved in bar fights before the season starts? Well there's major hope in Baton Rouge yet!