Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Could UCA be in the FBS in the future?

Started by Ben, July 23, 2014, 12:27:56 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: ricepig on July 28, 2014, 05:57:57 pm
Arkansas Tech is growing faster than any college in state, I believe they passed UCA and are closing in on ASU.

Thanks. I wasn't aware of them passing UCA in enrollment. Having lived and worked in Jonesboro at the time that UCA passed them I knew it was a sore spot for Jonesboro and ASU PTB's when that happened. I give them credit for doing things to correct it. If true about Tech I wonder if UCA will do the same.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

ricepig

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on July 28, 2014, 06:21:18 pm
Thanks. I wasn't aware of them passing UCA in enrollment. Having lived and worked in Jonesboro at the time that UCA passed them I knew it was a sore spot for Jonesboro and ASU PTB's when that happened. I give them credit for doing things to correct it. If true about Tech I wonder if UCA will do the same.

UCA's drop in enrollment was planned, Lu had them spending money they didn't have to attract students. Everyone has slowed a little as the drop in first year money on the lottery scholarships has slowed enrollment down a little. I think the UofA is projecting a small increase, it won't hurt any to let the infrastructure catch up.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: ricepig on July 28, 2014, 06:28:26 pm
UCA's drop in enrollment was planned, Lu had them spending money they didn't have to attract students. Everyone has slowed a little as the drop in first year money on the lottery scholarships has slowed enrollment down a little. I think the UofA is projecting a small increase, it won't hurt any to let the infrastructure catch up.

On this we agree.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

AllHog90

Quote from: ricepig on July 28, 2014, 05:57:57 pm
Arkansas Tech is growing faster than any college in state, I believe they passed UCA and are closing in on ASU.

As of 2013, UCA still had more students than tech (barely):

Enrollment change from 2012 to 2013

UCA: 11,534 +3.8% Growth
ATU: 11.358 +4.0% Growth

ASU: 13,538 -2.4% Pullback

UA:   25,341 +3.3% Growth

For whatever that's worth..

Seminole Indian

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on July 28, 2014, 05:42:16 pm
It wasn't too long ago that UCA had more students than ASU. Then ASU decided that was embarrassing and did some things to correct that. ASU folks have been saying to the Hogs to not look over our shoulder forever..............Maybe ASU should do the same.
ASU has no problem with UCA being successful in academics, or athletics (where the compete against them in all sports). Because of the new postseason format they, like most FBS programs will not be scheduling FCS schools in the future, unless there is no other option, but that has nothing to do with UCA.

As far as ASU and the UofA, I have not heard anything remotely like that since the 'how long will they run' thing in the 80's.

There is no reason for such a slogan now.

When ASU decided to become a University in the late 60's, and upgrade athletics, it was a small college playing the likes of Trinity College, Lamar Tech, and Abilene Christian, etc, and the UofA was a fixture in the top 25, and playing the likes of Texas in the 'game of the century'.

Needless to say things have changed a lot for both schools since those days.
"In truth, knowledge is a great and very useful quality; those who despise it give evidence enough of their stupidity. Yet I do not set its value at that extreme measure that some attribute to it." - Michel de Montaigne

Got_da_captain

Quote from: Seminole Indian on July 29, 2014, 10:13:06 am
ASU has no problem with UCA being successful in academics, or athletics (where the compete against them in all sports). Because of the new postseason format they, like most FBS programs will not be scheduling FCS schools in the future, unless there is no other option, but that has nothing to do with UCA.

As far as ASU and the UofA, I have not heard anything remotely like that since the 'how long will they run' thing in the 80's.

There is no reason for such a slogan now.

When ASU decided to become a University in the late 60's, and upgrade athletics, it was a small college playing the likes of Trinity College, Lamar Tech, and Abilene Christian, etc, and the UofA was a fixture in the top 25, and playing the likes of Texas in the 'game of the century'.

Needless to say things have changed a lot for both schools since those days.
3174   Tulsa
3708   Rice
4413   Air Force
4576   Navy
4624   Army
4775   Wake Forest
6484   Duke
6878   Stanford
6879   Vanderbilt
7000   SMU
7519   Louisiana-Monroe
8338   Tulane
8371   Notre Dame
8425   Northwestern
9088   Boston College
9137   Louisiana Tech
9518   TCU

Tell these schoos enrollment matters!

Seminole Indian

Quote from: Got_da_captain on July 29, 2014, 05:05:46 pm
3174   Tulsa
3708   Rice
4413   Air Force
4576   Navy
4624   Army
4775   Wake Forest
6484   Duke
6878   Stanford
6879   Vanderbilt
7000   SMU
7519   Louisiana-Monroe
8338   Tulane
8371   Notre Dame
8425   Northwestern
9088   Boston College
9137   Louisiana Tech
9518   TCU

Tell these schoos enrollment matters!
Their are lots of schools that have much larger enrollments than those, or any school in Arkansas, but that does not mean they are considered 'major' in any thing, and they are sure not FBS football programs.

No one at Ole Miss was concerned that Southern Mississippi had more students.

Actually, I have noticed that enrollment became a big topic in Arkansas when UCA went all to grow it's enrolment as if quantity was the same as quality.

"In truth, knowledge is a great and very useful quality; those who despise it give evidence enough of their stupidity. Yet I do not set its value at that extreme measure that some attribute to it." - Michel de Montaigne

chiefsfan

Quote from: AllHog90 on July 29, 2014, 10:10:05 am
As of 2013, UCA still had more students than tech (barely):

Enrollment change from 2012 to 2013

UCA: 11,534 +3.8% Growth
ATU: 11.358 +4.0% Growth

ASU: 13,538 -2.4% Pullback

UA:   25,341 +3.3% Growth

For whatever that's worth..

My understanding is ASU wants to hang around where it is.  With the rising admissions requirements, the push seems to be for a higher quality of student than a higher quantity.  I know the slight decrease this year was expected.

Since Tech isn't approaching ever becoming D1...their enrollment numbers are really not a concern.  this isn't Alabama, where you let everyone with a pulse in just so you can claim 80K enrollment.
Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.

chiefsfan

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on July 28, 2014, 05:43:33 pm
I don't think either state is large enough for two much less three.

Correction, Arkansas doesn't put forth enough 5 star type prospects for two FBS Programs.  The State puts up a ton of two and three star guys.  Perfect for Arkansas State, but probably not good enough for Arkansas.

There are enough FBS level prospects for two teams, but if you want high level kids, you have to recruit out of state.
Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.

Seminole Indian

ASU's in-state recruiting  has really benefited from Arkansas moving to the SEC. They are now signing players that would have been Hawgs in the past.

Maybe that is why they have always been so competitive against Arkansas's old SWC foes.

Got_da_captain

Quote from: chiefsfan on July 29, 2014, 08:23:12 pm
Correction, Arkansas doesn't put forth enough 5 star type prospects for two FBS Programs.  The State puts up a ton of two and three star guys.  Perfect for Arkansas State, but probably not good enough for Arkansas.

There are enough FBS level prospects for two teams, but if you want high level kids, you have to recruit out of state.
Arkansas really doesn't produce enough talent for 1 school if you want to be a top end SEC team! 1 or 2 5* doesn't cut it. Both FBS teams are heavy recruiters in Texas(UA) and Alabama(ASU). UCA need to consider this before making any move. Recruiting good talent isn't easy. ASU has had some great breaks to get some of their best talent. Some of which could be playing for SEC teams.

Seminole Indian

Unless the SBC invites UCA, and I have not seen their name in the mix for the 12th SBC member,  there is no chance that they will be FBS for more than a decade so they should have time to think about it.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: chiefsfan on July 29, 2014, 08:23:12 pm

IF any school from a small population state had to use only recruits from their state to be consistently good they would fail.
High level players DO come form small population states just not in enough numbers and consistently to make a huge difference over time.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Seminole Indian on July 29, 2014, 09:19:21 pm
ASU's in-state recruiting  has really benefited from Arkansas moving to the SEC. They are now signing players that would have been Hawgs in the past.

No they are not. Arkansas has always recruited out of state.

Seminole Indian

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on July 30, 2014, 07:56:11 am

No they are not. Arkansas has always recruited out of state.
Yes they are, and anyone that know anything about recruiting in Arkansas knows they are.

ASU is getting a minimum of 2-3 in-state recruits every year now that would have been Razorbacks  from the Nutt years back. Petrino really walked away from in-state players, to ASU's benefit.

Of course ASU has had to beat out a number of out of state FBS schools  for these players, but has on enough to make a big difference in their program.

Even though most of ASU's best players come from out of state, a
having a dozen or so of these players on their roster has really their depth, which is a big reasons  ASU has done as well on the field.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Seminole Indian on July 30, 2014, 08:28:54 am
Yes they are, and anyone that know anything about recruiting in Arkansas knows they are.

ASU is getting from 2-3 in-state recruits every year now that would have been Razorbacks  from the Nutt years back. Petrino really walked away from in-state players, to ASU's benefit.

Even though most of ASU's best players come from out of state, a
having a dozen or so of these players on their roster has really their depth, which is a big reasons  ASU has done as well on the field.

Of course ASU has had to beat out a number of out of state FBS schools  for these players, but has on enough to make a big difference in their program.

you mentioned nutty..............I rest my case....................................

Seminole Indian

July 30, 2014, 08:40:20 am #66 Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 08:52:17 am by Seminole Indian
Quote from: Inhogswetrust on July 30, 2014, 08:34:43 am
you mentioned nutty..............I rest my case....................................
You caught me modifying my post, but the post Nutt era has seen reduced opportunities for in-state kids to become Razorbacks.

What has changed big-time is many, probably a majority,  of these players now consider ASU a better option than SMU, Tulsa, Kansas, Memphis, La Tech and Southern Mississippi, and  a few are turning down SEC teams.

They grabbed a punter this week who had signed with Purdue, had a change of heart, and contacted the Razorbacks, and Wolves.

kingofdequeen

Sweet Feet

ricepig

Quote from: Seminole Indian on July 30, 2014, 08:40:20 am
You caught me modifying my post, but the post Nutt era has seen reduced opportunities for in-state kids to become Razorbacks.

What has changed big-time is many, probably a majority,  of these players now consider ASU a better option than SMU, Tulsa, Kansas, Memphis, La Tech and Southern Mississippi, and  a few are turning down SEC teams.

They grabbed a punter this week who had signed with Purdue, had a change of heart, and contacted the Razorbacks, and Wolves.

And the Razorbacks said, no thanks. Austin committed to the first FBS offer he got, maybe his only.

Seminole Indian

July 30, 2014, 01:53:40 pm #70 Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 02:20:24 pm by Seminole Indian
Quote from: ricepig on July 30, 2014, 01:12:41 pm
And the Razorbacks said, no thanks. Austin committed to the first FBS offer he got, maybe his only.
Said he  chose Purdue over an offer from Houston, signed in December. Was being recruited by the Razorbacks, and others, but did not have an offer from them when he committed to Purdue.

Said he was miserable up there and contacted ASU and the UofA. ASU had just found out one of there their punters, the kid from Australia had decided to not return and offered.

He was not mentioned as being a late addition by the ASU coaches today, but there were supposedly a few, and he tweeted he was ASU bound. Said ASU coaches think there is a chance to play this year.

http://247sports.com/Player/Austin-McGehee-30346

https://rivals.yahoo.com/arkansasstate/football/recruiting/player-Austin-McGehee-152363;_ylt=AvD6p9fuXzQBFyPqntMa3rs3XeZ_

http://www.hammerandrails.com/2014/7/26/5940871/austin-mcgehee-transfers-from-purdue

kingofdequeen

ricepig

Quote from: Seminole Indian on July 30, 2014, 01:53:40 pm
Said he  chose Purdue over an offer from Houston, signed in December. Was being recruited by the Razorbacks, and others, but did not have an offer from them when he committed to Purdue.

Said he was miserable up there and contacted ASU and the UofA. ASU had just found out one of there their punters, the kid from Australia had decided to not return and offered.

He was not mentioned as being a late addition by the ASU coaches today, but there were supposedly a few, and he tweeted he was ASU bound. Said ASU coaches think there is a chance to play this year.

https://rivals.yahoo.com/arkansasstate/football/recruiting/player-Austin-McGehee-152363;_ylt=AvD6p9fuXzQBFyPqntMa3rs3XeZ_

http://www.hammerandrails.com/2014/7/26/5940871/austin-mcgehee-transfers-from-purdue

Being recruited and having an offer are two different things. Arkansas wasn't signing a punter last year, but good luck to Austin at ASU.

Seminole Indian

Quote from: ricepig on July 30, 2014, 03:27:34 pm
Being recruited and having an offer are two different things. Arkansas wasn't signing a punter last year, but good luck to Austin at ASU.
ASU had not offered him when he committed to Purdue.

Again the point I was making is ASU has had a lot of success in the post-Nutt era of landing FBS caliber Arkansas players who do not get the hoped for Razorback offer.

One thing ASU is doing that I think is paying big dividends is accepting commits from players that let them know up front that if they get the offer(s) they want they are going to flip.

Most P5's, and some G5's have to move on, but ASU will hold the offer if the player is good enough. While they lose some who do get the offer they wanted, it has allowed them to land some very talented athletes in recent years, that they would not have gotten otherwise.

At the G5 level it does not take many of these players to make a big-difference in how well a team will do, and ASU has gotten their fair share.

ricepig

Quote from: Seminole Indian on July 30, 2014, 04:11:06 pm
ASU had not offered him when he committed to Purdue.

Again the point I was making is ASU has had a lot of success in the post-Nutt era of landing FBS caliber Arkansas players who do not get the hoped for Razorback offer.

One thing ASU is doing that I think is paying big dividends is accepting commits from players that let them know up front that if they get the offer(s) they want they are going to flip.

Most P5's, and some G5's have to move on, but ASU will hold the offer if the player is good enough. While they lose some who do get the offer they wanted, it has allowed them to land some very talented athletes in recent years, that they would not have gotten otherwise.

At the G5 level it does not take many of these players to make a big-difference in how well a team will do, and ASU has gotten their fair share.

So, is he on scholarship?

Seminole Indian

July 30, 2014, 06:03:44 pm #75 Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 07:48:51 pm by Seminole Indian
Quote from: ricepig on July 30, 2014, 04:27:26 pm
So, is he on scholarship?
That is the assumption, but it is sometimes hard to know for sure.

He just tweeted he was headed to A-State, and the way it was reported, and the fact they lost a scholarship punter at the last minute,  made it appear he was.  I found the links I posted above.

Only one player was mentioned by their HC, as a late addition and it was a JC center.

AStateNation said this young man and a former Kentucky player who transferred to a California JC,   are also late scholarship additions, and it is anticipated there will be more.

There is also the transfer LB from Arkansas who is on scholarship, and a transfer LB from UTEP (who's father was a high jumper for the Razorbacks), who sit out last year, and a LB formerly at West Virginia, that may be.

Several former walk-ons who were given scholarships last year, and  may or may not have them this year.

ricepig

Quote from: Seminole Indian on July 30, 2014, 06:03:44 pm
That is the assumption, but it is sometimes hard to know for sure.

He just tweeted he was headed to A-State, and the way it was reported, and the fact they lost a scholarship punter at the last minute,  made it appear he was.  I found the links I posted above.

Only one player was mentioned by their HC, as a late addition and it was a JC center.

AStateNation said this young man and a former Kentucky player who transferred to a California JC are also late scholarship additions, and it is anticipated there will be more.

There is also the transfer LB from Arkansas who is on scholarship, and a transfer LB from UTEP (who's father was a high jumper for the Razorbacks), who sit out last year that may be.

Several former walk-ons who were given scholarships last year, and  may or may not have them this year.

Sounds like they were several under the 85.

Seminole Indian

July 30, 2014, 06:34:24 pm #77 Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 07:46:31 pm by Seminole Indian
Quote from: ricepig on July 30, 2014, 06:07:43 pm
Sounds like they were several under the 85.
They came up a little short last year, and several walk-on's benefitted.

KaysFieldTouchdown

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on July 28, 2014, 05:42:16 pm
It wasn't too long ago that UCA had more students than ASU. Then ASU decided that was embarrassing and did some things to correct that. ASU folks have been saying to the Hogs to not look over our shoulder forever..............Maybe ASU should do the same.

I don't remember that but is enrollment really a big deal? Couldn't have been system wide. We have over 20,000 in the AState system.

Does FIU's larger enrollment threaten UF?
MTSU and Tennessee are about the same size.
The University of Phoenix tops everybody.

I don't see that as much of an indication of anything. I guess if our enrollment was falling off significantly that might be a concern but it's not.

Seminole Indian

Quote from: KaysFieldTouchdown on August 02, 2014, 08:18:06 am
I don't remember that but is enrollment really a big deal? Couldn't have been system wide. We have over 20,000 in the AState system.

Does FIU's larger enrollment threaten UF?
MTSU and Tennessee are about the same size.
The University of Phoenix tops everybody.

I don't see that as much of an indication of anything. I guess if our enrollment was falling off significantly that might be a concern but it's not.
Think the purpose of bringing it up here  was saying ASU should worry about UCA, and not catching the UofA.

IMO they are not worried about, nor should they worry about either.

Seminole Indian

If the new autonomy proposal passes 'as is' the 10 FBS Conferences will be separated from the other 22 Division 1 Conferences.

When you include this with the $ distribution, and access of the new post season format G5 schools, especially the better G5 schools like ASU, are big winners going forward.

Who are the losers?

FCS and ultimately the less affluent, and or successful  P5's(especially if the big-dogs like Alabama, Texas, Ohio State can force their conference mates to increase the # scholarships they can offer).

Here is a  article pointing one reason why in regards to the impact of post season format:
http://www.miamiherald.com/2014/08/02/4269092/checkbooks-and-balances-budgets.html?sp=/99/1444/1649/

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Seminole Indian on August 03, 2014, 07:35:08 am
If the new autonomy proposal passes 'as is' the 10 FBS Conferences will be separated from the other 22 Division 1 Conferences.

When you include this with the $ distribution, and access of the new post season format G5 schools, especially the better G5 schools like ASU, are big winners going forward.

Who are the losers?

FCS and ultimately the less affluent, and or successful  P5's(especially if the big-dogs like Alabama, Texas, Ohio State can force their conference mates to increase the # scholarships they can offer).

Here is a  article pointing one reason why in regards to the impact of post season format:
http://www.miamiherald.com/2014/08/02/4269092/checkbooks-and-balances-budgets.html?sp=/99/1444/1649/

I wonder what new women's sports added and/or which mens sports deleted are being discussed to still be in compliance with Title IX if the big conferences try to increase the number of football scholarships.

Seminole Indian

August 03, 2014, 09:46:32 am #82 Last Edit: August 03, 2014, 09:57:44 am by Seminole Indian
Quote from: Inhogswetrust on August 03, 2014, 08:24:21 am
I wonder what new women's sports added and/or which mens sports deleted are being discussed to still be in compliance with Title IX if the big conferences try to increase the number of football scholarships.
Not an issue at the P5 level, but I'm sure it will be at the G5. They may stay at 25/85.

Of course the real  fight will be between the larger P5's and the smaller P5's as we enter, or better yet return to the era of the power programs, not power conferences that existed under the old BCS system..

The major schools in the areas that produce the bulk of the talent want to take more and leave less for those below them, especially the schools in their conference, because preferences will be given to conference champions under the new format. They hate the  parity that has resulted from 25/85.

Going forward the Texas, Ohio States, USC's and Alabama's  want the money and the players, and less parity.  Probably see championship games go away to boot.

ricepig

Quote from: Seminole Indian on August 03, 2014, 09:46:32 am
Not an issue at the P5 level, but I'm sure it will be at the G5. They may stay at 25/85.

Of course the real  fight will be between the larger P5's and the smaller P5's.

The major schools in the areas that produce the bulk of the talent want to take more and leave less for those below them, especially the schools in their conference, because preferences will be given to conference champions under the new format. They hate the  parity that has resulted from 25/85.

Going forward the Texas, Ohio States, USC's and Alabama's  want the money and the players, and less parity. We are entering the era of the power programs, not power conferences that exited under the old BCS system. Probably see championship games go away to boot.

Doubtful, the thing driving this is the TV money from the CFP.

Seminole Indian

August 03, 2014, 10:05:50 am #84 Last Edit: August 03, 2014, 10:17:43 am by Seminole Indian
Quote from: ricepig on August 03, 2014, 09:56:35 am
Doubtful, the thing driving this is the TV money from the CFP.
I think the CFP is more a means to an end than a driver.

What is certain is the new post season format (especially the selection by committee)  and even the autonomy proposals are designed to give them, the true majors the upper hand, and those forking over the dough are in agreement with them.

Think most of the people that keep up with these things are confident the next phase will be the 'power programs' demanding a bigger piece of the pie across the board in their conferences.

Think only the SEC Commissioner has stated publically that their conference is opposed to the idea, but if the top schools in the SEC see the top schools in the other 4 P5's getting an advantage most think they will follow them.

Things are going to get interesting if the autonomy proposal passes as is.

ricepig

Quote from: Seminole Indian on August 03, 2014, 10:05:50 am
I think the CFP is more a means to an end than a driver.

What is certain is the new post season format (especially the selection by committee)  and even the autonomy proposals are designed to give them, the true majors the upper hand, and those forking over the dough are in agreement with them.

Think most of the people that keep up with these things are confident the next phase will be the 'power programs' demanding a bigger piece of the pie across the board in their conferences.

Think only the SEC Commissioner has stated publically that their conference is opposed to the idea, but if the top schools in the SEC see the top schools in the other 4 P5's getting an advantage most think they will follow them.

Things are going to get interesting if the autonomy proposal passes as is.

The SEC isn't the Big 12, they aren't going to cower down like those did to Texsa. I don't think you know what you are talking about, but you know i've thought that for a while. Anyway, time will tell if it ever goes the way you think.

Seminole Indian

Quote from: ricepig on August 03, 2014, 11:15:23 am
The SEC isn't the Big 12, they aren't going to cower down like those did to Texsa. I don't think you know what you are talking about, but you know i've thought that for a while. Anyway, time will tell if it ever goes the way you think.

Well if it is not about recruiting I have to admit I don't know very much, and I'm probably just throwing out as best I can, what I've been told or read. That is the case here.

Know the ASU AD is happy with were things are going, and said ASU will come out a lot better under the playoff than the old BCS.

He also said that it will help them schedule home games against P5's going forward( and help grow their attendance) , and they will be able to get more money for non-return games (should be a 2 million $ game soon). Think he made a comment in the article I posted above.

The SBC Commissioner, and most of the others G5 commissioners, have stated their conferences will  benefit under the autonomy proposal because it separates the 10 FBS Conferences from the other 22 Division Conferences for the first time. The CUSA Commissioner when asked what the G5's should be called said "the next five", and "be sure to note there are 32 Division 1 Conferences" as a way of emphasizing what has happened.

Everyone knows that both the autonomy proposal and the new playoff format will hurt FCS big-time, and most know they will have the same effect on the many of the P5's.

ricepig

Everybody in the P5 and G5 will come out ahead, more money, pretty simple to understand that statement. More money means more bidding for games, so we'll see if it drives it up to your price. I don't see it in the near future, but I don't know what you consider soon. I suspect there will be some bottom schools fiscally in the P5 that will do some home and homes, I suspect those that can afford not to, will continue as they have.

Seminole Indian

Quote from: ricepig on August 03, 2014, 12:04:31 pm
Everybody in the P5 and G5 will come out ahead, more money, pretty simple to understand that statement. More money means more bidding for games, so we'll see if it drives it up to your price. I don't see it in the near future, but I don't know what you consider soon. I suspect there will be some bottom schools fiscally in the P5 that will do some home and homes, I suspect those that can afford not to, will continue as they have.
Well not all P5's are equal. Schools like Iowa State, Miami and Missouri will probably have to go hit the road and play an ASU. Schools like Arkansas, Auburn, USC, can simply fork over the $.

The only threat I see to Arkansas is an increase in the # of scholarships by the P5's, because they really need those out of state football players.

For ASU it would be a change in the transfer rules that would allow players to transfer up from a G5 school to a P5 without setting out.

Both could happen, but hopefully will not.

Nothing that is happening is good for UCA, and in fact is very bad.

Seminole Indian

Just as a way of clarification, when I said the autonomy proposal and the effect of SOS on FBS scheduling FCS were not good for UCA I did not mean to imply that they cannot be a very successful football program.

Like ASU, it is not unrealistic at all to put together  a program that has the best coaches and players in their league, and reap the rewards of winning.

That is very doable, and winning is what makes college football fun for the 'fans' of teams at any level.

Kicking Wing

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on August 03, 2014, 08:24:21 am
Increasing the number of scholarships for football is not part of the proposed autonomy legislation.  That issue will remain with the NCAA at large. 

The real question imo is whether the cost of attendance will extend to all sports, male and female or jus the headcount sports.  It won't be a dealbreaker for anyone in FBS either way but it does have an impact and could really make the impact of FCS and non-football schools even larger than it already will be.

kingofdequeen

What if there were no hypothetical questions?

wildwolf

Quote from: ricepig on July 30, 2014, 01:12:41 pm
At today's  A-State Touchdown Club meeting, Head Coach Anderson said that this kid's punts explode and sail 60+ yards. Coach Anderson further stated that he will punt in the NFL after his ASU days are over!

ricepig

Quote from: wildwolf on August 06, 2014, 03:55:06 pm
At today's  A-State Touchdown Club meeting, Head Coach Anderson said that this kid's punts explode and sail 60+ yards. Coach Anderson further stated that he will punt in the NFL after his ASU days are over!

I watched him punt in high school, I doubt he averages 60 yards, haha. I hope everyone gets the chance to play after college, was he released from his scholarship at Purdue, or will he have to redshirt?

Seminole Indian

Quote from: ricepig on August 06, 2014, 04:06:56 pm
I watched him punt in high school, I doubt he averages 60 yards, haha. I hope everyone gets the chance to play after college, was he released from his scholarship at Purdue, or will he have to redshirt?
I went to one of their practices the other day and that kid kick one further and higher than any  punt I have ever seen. It was unreal.

Everyone in the stadium stopped, and watched, and we did not think the ball was ever coming down.

He also had one off the side of his foot, so I'm not sure about his consistency.

They said he hit another even more impressive one later in practice.

Don't know his status, but do know he thinks he will play this year. If he does he may  end up being the MVP of this team.

ricepig

Quote from: Seminole Indian on August 06, 2014, 05:30:58 pm
I went to one of their practices the other day and that kid kick one further and higher than any  punt I have ever seen. It was unreal.

Everyone in the stadium stopped, and watched, and we did not think the ball was ever coming down.

He also had one off the side of his foot, so I'm not sure about his consistency.

They said he hit another even more impressive one later in practice.

Don't know his status, but do know he thinks he will play this year. If he does he may  end up being the MVP of this team.

Glad you're being a fan and attending practices, always figured you were one.

wildwolf

Quote from: ricepig on August 06, 2014, 04:06:56 pm
Let's see, this year, he is at ASU. Last year, he was at Purdue. So, you saw him TWO YEARS ago. Do you think, quite possibly, he has improved with a better punt coach and strength coach? I trust Coach Anderson much more than I do you on the talent of a football player. Nice try, though.........not!

wildwolf

Ricepig, where did I say this kid will "average" 60 yards a punt? Read it again and try to comprehend. I said he was booming punts 60+ yards. Now, do you understand? 

ricepig

Quote from: wildwolf on August 06, 2014, 06:10:47 pm
Let's see, this year, he is at ASU. Last year, he was at Purdue. So, you saw him TWO YEARS ago. Do you think, quite possibly, he has improved with a better punt coach and strength coach? I trust Coach Anderson much more than I do you on the talent of a football player. Nice try, though.........not!

Really know your players, last year he was at PB.

ricepig

Quote from: wildwolf on August 06, 2014, 06:14:29 pm
Ricepig, where did I say this kid will "average" 60 yards a punt? Read it again and try to comprehend. I said he was booming punts 60+ yards. Now, do you understand? 

So, you are saying he hit a 60 yard punt, so can Luke.