Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Could UCA be in the FBS in the future?

Started by Ben, July 23, 2014, 12:27:56 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Ben

UCA is growing fast and their success has been decent the past decade. Even the close games they vs FBS teams is pretty impressive. Quite personally, not to rattle asu fans' feathers, but i think they would be the better FBS midmajor in the state. Its something about that school that i feel could be something special in the future. if they have the funds and growth, could UCA be playing in the FBS soon?
Quote from: BearsBisonsBoars on January 18, 2016, 11:06:54 pm. The four team playoff is still opinion. Or do you really think MSU was really the fourth best team in CFB?
You miss the boat.  A four team playoff is a championship.  A championship produces... a champion. You seem to be looking for the "best" team.  The "best" doesn't exist. Best does not equal champion.  Best is a myth.
Opinion polls produce... opinions.

Inhogswetrust

If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: Ben on July 23, 2014, 12:27:56 pm
UCA is growing fast and their success has been decent the past decade. Even the close games they vs FBS teams is pretty impressive. Quite personally, not to rattle asu fans' feathers, but i think they would be the better FBS midmajor in the state. Its something about that school that i feel could be something special in the future. if they have the funds and growth, could UCA be playing in the FBS soon?
Move on, absolutely nothing to see here.

Jborohog09

Better than ASU?  Last time they played in 2011 A-State rolled 53-24.

hogfan14

Not anytime soon. They just moved up to FCS and their stadium is small even by Southland standards. They have had a lot of success and they are growing but im not sure if Arkansas could support three FBS teams

Conway is expected to see a huge population boost in the near future though but even students there will almost always be hog fans first, hard to get a program to FBS like that

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: hogfan14 on July 23, 2014, 01:55:34 pm
Not anytime soon. They just moved up to FCS and their stadium is small even by Southland standards. They have had a lot of success and they are growing but im not sure if Arkansas could support three FBS teams

Conway is expected to see a huge population boost in the near future though but even students there will almost always be hog fans first, hard to get a program to FBS like that
Out of curiosity I've been to a couple UCA games over the past two or three years. The attendance at each was a total joke! At best the stadium was perhaps 1/2-2/3 full.

thirrdegreetusker

I believe that requirements of "D-1", or whatever it is called now, include:

* minimum home stadium capacity
* minimum home attendance average

So, going to be a long time before UCA is in a position to make that move. They can solve the first by moving all home games to WMS. The second will be much tougher. 

Ben

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on July 23, 2014, 01:50:06 pm
Move on, absolutely nothing to see here.
Yet you commented and still on here....aw ok
Quote from: BearsBisonsBoars on January 18, 2016, 11:06:54 pm. The four team playoff is still opinion. Or do you really think MSU was really the fourth best team in CFB?
You miss the boat.  A four team playoff is a championship.  A championship produces... a champion. You seem to be looking for the "best" team.  The "best" doesn't exist. Best does not equal champion.  Best is a myth.

Ben

Quote from: Jborohog09 on July 23, 2014, 01:52:57 pm
Better than ASU?  Last time they played in 2011 A-State rolled 53-24.
Im not talking about now while they are an established fcs program. Im talking about if they moved up to fbs standards

Ben

Quote from: hogfan14 on July 23, 2014, 01:55:34 pm
They have had a lot of success and they are growing but im not sure if Arkansas could support three FBS teams
if mississippi can, arkansas can too

pigture perfect

I don't think it would be in the near future. Jonesboro and Conway are growing really fast as well as NWA. I'm seeing Arkansas becoming more regionalized for sure.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

Seminole Indian

Quote from: thirrdegreetusker on July 23, 2014, 02:33:50 pm
I believe that requirements of "D-1", or whatever it is called now, include:

* minimum home stadium capacity
* minimum home attendance average

So, going to be a long time before UCA is in a position to make that move. They can solve the first by moving all home games to WMS. The second will be much tougher.
Really the biggest obstacle is scheduling. You have to have 5 home games a year against FBS teams, which in reality translates into you have to be invited to join an existing FBS Conference.

The other thing going forward is if the autonomy proposal passes as is that hidden in plain sight in the proposal  is real separation of the FBS from the FCS and other Non-FBS football programs.

Back to scheduling, many FBS programs (ASU's game against UCA is suppose to be their last FCS opponent), have publically stated they will not be scheduling FCS programs in the future, and most think they all will drop FCS teams unless their is no other option. This is for reasons involving strength of schedule.

Simple solution is to get ASU to support adding you guys as the 12 football playing member of the SBC, then you are in. The other requirements are probably doable.
"In truth, knowledge is a great and very useful quality; those who despise it give evidence enough of their stupidity. Yet I do not set its value at that extreme measure that some attribute to it." - Michel de Montaigne

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Seminole Indian on July 23, 2014, 03:55:15 pm
Really the biggest obstacle is scheduling. You have to have 5 home games a year against FBS teams, which in reality translates into you have to be invited to join an existing FBS Conference.

The other thing going forward is if the autonomy proposal passes as is that hidden in plain sight in the proposal  is real separation of the FBS from the FCS and other Non-FBS football programs.

Back to scheduling, many FBS programs (ASU's game against UCA is suppose to be their last FCS opponent), have publically stated they will not be scheduling FCS programs in the future, and most think they all will drop FCS teams unless their is no other option. This is for reasons involving strength of schedule.

Simple solution is to get ASU to support adding you guys as the 12 football playing member of the SBC, then you are in. The other requirements are probably doable.

Doable in the future perhaps however is it feasible and realistic? For UCA the following would be issues:

Scheduling
Low attendance average
Stadium size
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Seminole Indian

July 24, 2014, 08:33:38 am #13 Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 02:26:58 pm by Seminole Indian
Quote from: Inhogswetrust on July 24, 2014, 07:27:53 am
Doable in the future perhaps however is it feasible and realistic? For UCA the following would be issues:

Scheduling
Low attendance average
Stadium size
The reality is the only FCS schools with an opportunity to move up the next 12 years(which is how long the new Post-BCS deal last), are the ones being considered by the SBC, who was looking at Missouri State, or JMU, as possible #12. Their Commissioner has gone on record as saying they would prefer to not add FCS schools.

The new autonomy proposal, that many said was an effort by the Power Conferences to separate themselves from the Mid-Majors, in fact just gives the power schools autonomy over a few issues, and separates the 10 FBS Conferences from the remaining 22 Conferences. That is very bad for the FCS programs.

Add to that the new post season playoffs (which pays the G5's a lot of money, and gives them access), reinforces the relationship between the 10 FBS Conferences, and all but insures  that games between FBS and FCS schools are for the most part going away.

Bottom line is unless your school has resources already on par  with the P5 schools to spend, the only way to move to FBS during the next 12 years is to be invited.

Probably only  Liberty has the resources to move to the FBS as an independent in this environment, and I'm not sure even they would attempt it without a home.
"In truth, knowledge is a great and very useful quality; those who despise it give evidence enough of their stupidity. Yet I do not set its value at that extreme measure that some attribute to it." - Michel de Montaigne

AllHog90

A few points to make here

• I don't think anyone at UCA really wants to go to FBS, they're in a great spot where they are and totally content with it
  • I think Brad Teague would rather build an FCS monster than have an FBS whipping boy
  • Being a year in, year out contender in the Southland (SEC of the FCS) is much better than praying for bowl eligibility out of the MAC
  • With UCA fans content where they are, there is no identity crisis among the fabase. (Read: ASU Indians). You routinely see Hog games broadcast on the Jumbotron at Estes stadium
  • The only animosity towards Arkansas comes from LA & TX kids on the football team that are fans of LSU, A&M, & Texas. They try reallllllly hard to pretend that their hate for Arkansas is coming from their love of UCA. That hog-hate really only spreads to the cleat-chasers. Everyone else at UCA knows that those types are really just fans of a team Arkansas plays
  • For these reasons, and several more, I believe you will see a UCA @ Arkansas game before you will see a Ark-ASU game.

Kicking Wing

Quote from: AllHog90 on July 24, 2014, 10:45:06 am

• I don't think anyone at UCA really wants to go to FBS, they're in a great spot where they are and totally content with it

That works.  They are so far away from having the facilities and support, not to mention a conference affiliation, to move to FBS that FCS is the place for a long time.
    • I think Brad Teague would rather build an FCS monster than have an FBS whipping boy

With the right leadership and resources, FBS is much more profitable and visible.  Teague knows that.  Just not on the radar to move to FBS.
    • Being a year in, year out contender in the Southland (SEC of the FCS) is much better than praying for bowl eligibility out of the MAC

SEC of the FCS? The Southland is an average FCS conference.  The powerhouses are in the west and in the ACC regions.  UCA has not had playoff success yet and you can ask App St. or Ga Southern whether they prefer FCS or FBS opportunities.
    • With UCA fans content where they are, there is no identity crisis among the fabase. (Read: ASU Indians). You routinely see Hog games broadcast on the Jumbotron at Estes stadium

I promise you that Red Wolves fans have no crisis whatsoever.  What UCA fans do is their business.
    • The only animosity towards Arkansas comes from LA & TX kids on the football team that are fans of LSU, A&M, & Texas. They try reallllllly hard to pretend that their hate for Arkansas is coming from their love of UCA. That hog-hate really only spreads to the cleat-chasers. Everyone else at UCA knows that those types are really just fans of a team Arkansas plays

No idea what this is about.

• For these reasons, and several more, I believe you will see a UCA @ Arkansas game before you will see a Ark-ASU game.

If Arkansas continues to play FCS schools then I agree.  They don't have to worry about the potential loss if they schedule UCA and it would cost less.  There isn't much risk scheduling UCA.
    [/list]

AllHog90

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Seminole Indian on July 24, 2014, 08:33:38 am
    The reality is the only FCS schools with an opportunity to move up the next 12 years(which is how long the new Post-BCS deal last), are the ones being considered by the SBC, who was looking at Missouri State, or JMU, as possible #12. Their Commissioner has gone on record as saying they would prefer to not add FCS schools.

The new autonomy proposal, that many said was an effort by the Power Conferences to separate themselves from the Mid-Majors, in fact just gives the power schools autonomy over a few issues, and separates the 10 FBS Conferences from the remaining 22 Conferences. That is very bad for the FCS programs.

Add to that the new post season playoffs (which pays the G5's a lot of money, and gives them access), reinforces the relationship between the 10 FBS Conferences, and all but insures  that games between FBS and FCS schools are for the most part going away.

Bottom line is unless your school has resources already on par  with the P5 schools the only way to move to FBS during the next 12 years is to be invited.

Probably only  Liberty has the resources to move to the FBS as an independent in this environment, and I'm not sure even they would attempt it without a home.

You bring out some valid points. That being said the ones I brought forth are issues with a lot of schools that some might think would want to "move up". I think we are both right on this issue.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: AllHog90 on July 24, 2014, 10:45:06 am

I believe your last sentence is wrong on BOTH accounts. At least in my lifetime.

Seminole Indian

Quote from: AllHog90 on July 24, 2014, 12:26:28 pm

Must be an Indian.....[/list]
      Well like the poster above I really have no problem with your post especially considering UCA's circumstances.

I really don't think ASU fans, or any fan, wants to be an FBS whipping boy. Maybe some FBS fans have to face the fact that their team is, but ASU fans expect their team to be a contender for a Championship, and go to a bowl game every  year from here on.

That they have shown that they can do both in the SBC, which is an FBS Conference, and adding bowl tie-ins this year and will add more , is a big, big  plus for them.

As far as the ASU Administration, they have just said they want ASU  to be the best G5 team in America, and they have said its not a question of 'if' but 'when' that happens.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Seminole Indian on July 24, 2014, 01:12:19 pm
        Well like the poster above I really have no problem with your post especially considering UCA's circumstances.

I really don't think ASU fans, or any fan, wants to be an FBS whipping boy. Maybe some FBS fans have to face the fact that their team is, but ASU fans expect their team to be a contender for a Championship, and go to a bowl game every  year from here on.

That they have shown that they can do both in the SBC, which is an FBS Conference, and adding bowl tie-ins this year and will add more , is a big, big  plus for them.

As far as the ASU Administration, they have just said they want ASU  to be the best G5 team in America, and they have said its not a question of 'if' but 'when' that happens.
      Going to a bowl EVERY year is not realistic for any program.[/list]

Seminole Indian

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on July 24, 2014, 01:03:01 pm
      I believe your last sentence is wrong on BOTH accounts. At least in my lifetime.
      If ASU were to get an invite to a big-time bowl, I have no doubts whatsoever, the Razorbacks would not shy away from playing them if that was the best bowl available for them.

Frank Broyles  made it clear that their policy of not scheduling in-state teams, which was in place before he arrived there, does not extend to the post season.

Seminole Indian

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on July 24, 2014, 01:16:23 pm
        Going to a bowl EVERY year is not realistic for any program.[/list]
        I agree, and neither is winning a conference championship but that is their goal.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Seminole Indian on July 24, 2014, 01:17:15 pm
        If ASU were to get an invite to a big-time bowl, I have no doubts whatsoever, the Razorbacks would not shy away from playing them if that was the best bowl available for them.

Frank Broyles  made it clear that their policy of not scheduling in-state teams, which was in place before he arrived there, does not extend to the post season.

Good point. However I wasn't thinking about a bowl but regular season games.

kingofdequeen

TomasPistola

Quote from: Hog Momster on January 06, 2011, 09:45:30 pm
        You were right.
        Quote from: Breems on April 28, 2011, 05:58:14 pm
        You did a great job.
        Quote from: Verge on June 22, 2011, 08:44:20 am
        If you have some form of mental retardation i will stop making fun of you, just want to clarify this first.

GoHogs1091

It wouldn't be surprising if it occurred within the next 10 years (probably closer to the 10 year mark from now).  Now that UCA has a national award winning Head Football Coach who may need to bring in only 1 more recruiting class to have what he needs to win a FCS National Championship within the next 3-4 seasons, winning a FCS National Championship (possibly multiple FCS National Championships) would create the momentum needed to expand UCA's stadium. 

kingofdequeen

Seminole Indian

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on July 24, 2014, 06:20:42 pm
        It wouldn't be surprising if it occurred within the next 10 years (probably closer to the 10 year mark from now).  Now that UCA has a national award winning Head Football Coach who may need to bring in only 1 more recruiting class to have what he needs to win a FCS National Championship within the next 3-4 seasons, winning a FCS National Championship (possibly multiple FCS National Championships) would create the momentum needed to expand UCA's stadium.
        Now that's a plan.

Got_da_captain

The chance is very small like stated above the students at UCA don't give a flip about bear games!. ASU and Arkansas would sell out Estes stadium with students alone. Award winning head coach? Really at what D3 or Juco level aka Rental players!. Juco is d1 FBS talent without the grades!.

It will not happen in our lifetimes unless they have major growth like ASU is having now. ASU will hit a wall eventually the question is do they know a way to grow more. If ASU continues to grow UCA's shots go way down. 2016 is UCA's shot to show the are better than the whooping they took a few years ago. Have a better result and the state will recognize you

Got_da_captain

Does anyone else see Clint conque's move as a no potential at UCA move? Why make a inter southland move?

hawkhawg

Quote from: Got_da_captain on July 24, 2014, 08:01:59 pm
        Does anyone else see Clint conque's move as a no potential at UCA move? Why make a inter southland move?

Clint is just waiting on the call from Notre Dame, Alabama, or Texas.

GoHogs1091

Quote from: Got_da_captain on July 24, 2014, 07:57:24 pm
        The chance is very small like stated above the students at UCA don't give a flip about bear games!. ASU and Arkansas would sell out Estes stadium with students alone. Award winning head coach? Really at what D3 or Juco level aka Rental players!. Juco is d1 FBS talent without the grades!.

Just a collegiate Head Football Coach who has won 2 National Championships, and who has 13 seasons of experience as a collegiate Head Football Coach.

Compare that to Blake Anderson, who is a rookie collegiate Head Football Coach with 0 seasons of experience as a collegiate Head Football Coach.

GoHogs1091

Conque said he wanted to get his Assistant Coaches more money.

The ironic aspect is that there were 2 of his UCA Assistant Coaches that he tried to get to go with him to Stephen F. Austin, and both of those Assistant Coaches chose to stay at UCA.

Seminole Indian

Lets face it when he came on board he made no bones that he intended to make UCA the #2 team in the state. Let also face it, where ASU was at the time that was not out of the question.

I think he began to realize the situation had changed ,and achieving what he wanted at UCA was not going to happen under his watch. Think the budget repercussions that resulted from the skullduggery by the UCA leadership really frustrated him.

GolfNut57

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on July 24, 2014, 08:08:19 pm

Compare that to Blake Anderson, who is a rookie collegiate Head Football Coach with 0 seasons of experience as a collegiate Head Football Coach.

Isn't that sentence a little redundant on itself? I mean.....if a guy is a "rookie collegiate head football coach" then it is already obvious that he has 0 seasons of experience as a "collegiate head football coach". No need to clarify the first part with the second part.
        "Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented." Arnold Palmer.

chiefsfan

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on July 24, 2014, 06:20:42 pm

You know...I respect what UCA has done as a program to at least establish themselves at the FCS level as a playoff contender, but they are a very, very, very, very long way from ever having the ammunition to move to FBS.  Not to mention they don't have a league

What league would honestly invite UCA?  CUSA would just invite ASU if they wanted the Arkansas market, and as long as ASU and UALR are in the Sun Belt, there is no chance that UCA ever gets an invite.  You have to be invited by an existing FBS league to move up.

Not to mention that UCA does not have the student support right now to make a move.  Too many students who are Razorback fans first.  And that's not an insult to you guys.  The fact is, if you have a large number of students who are a fan of another school, its going to be nearly impossible to ever grow to an FBS program.  The School would need to market themselves better amongst their own student base and make concerted efforts to make Conway a UCA Town

That just isn't going to happen...not in its current structure.
        Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.

Got_da_captain

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on July 24, 2014, 08:08:19 pm
        Just a collegiate Head Football Coach who has won 2 National Championships, and who has 13 seasons of experience as a collegiate Head Football Coach.

Man I forgot UCA got that coach that Nick Saban thought was going to oust him if he slips up.  ;)

KaysFieldTouchdown

We've been hearing this (from hog fans) for as long as I've been alive. "With the growth of UCA and Conway, UCA could/will/might pass ASU any moment. i can only assume they don't realize that Jonesboro and ASU has also been booming.

Wishful thinking I guess. Whats funny is I never hear this from UCA/Conway people or from folks that aren't Razorback fans.

Seminole Indian

Quote from: KaysFieldTouchdown on July 27, 2014, 10:03:46 am
        We've been hearing this (from hog fans) for as long as I've been alive. "With the growth of UCA and Conway, UCA could/will/might pass ASU any moment. i can only assume they don't realize that Jonesboro and ASU has also been booming.

Wishful thinking I guess. Whats funny is I never hear this from UCA/Conway people or from folks that aren't Razorback fans.
        One of the funniest things is seeing the reactions of people from other parts of the state the first time they actually visit ASU and Jonesboro. To say they are normally stunned is an understatement, and most say they had no idea either were as impressive as they are.

If they attend a football game it is even more of a shock.

I would say 99.999999 % of the time the first thing every in-state recruit that has never visited ASU, but has UCA, does is comment on how UCA does not even remotely compare to ASU. They say ASU is so much better than they expected, and that is a big plus in recruiting for ASU.

Most recruits, no matter where they are from, are surprised by what they find, but not like those from Arkansas.

ricepig

Quote from: Seminole Indian on July 27, 2014, 04:03:19 pm
        One of the funniest things is seeing the reactions of people from other parts of the state the first time they actually visit ASU and Jonesboro. To say they are normally stunned is an understatement, and most say they had no idea either were as impressive as they are.

If they attend a football game it is even more of a shock.

I would say 99.999999 % of the time the first thing every in-state recruit that has never visited ASU, but has UCA, does is comment on how UCA does not even remotely compare to ASU. They say ASU is so much better than they expected, and that is a big plus in recruiting for ASU.

Most recruits, no matter where they are from, are surprised by what they find, but not like those from Arkansas.

I live in Jonesboro, I wouldn't put it down as amazing. Now, compared to Conway, it is.

Seminole Indian

Quote from: ricepig on July 27, 2014, 04:10:28 pm
        I live in Jonesboro, I wouldn't put it down as amazing. Now, compared to Conway, it is.
        Apparently compared to most places in Arkansas.

I'm not sure what their expectations are, but for some reason it seems that most recruits from Arkansas that had never visited ASU and Jonesboro where  expecting both to be far less than they are.

They also seem to know more about Conway and UCA.

Big Papa Satan

Quote from: Ben on July 23, 2014, 03:01:05 pm
        if mississippi can, arkansas can too

Define "can".  Having talent, resources, people for fanbases, etc. split three ways is what's holding the UM and MSU back.

If the state of Mississippi had one D-1 program, it would be a power.

Do that in the state of Arkansas, with less of a talent base...you see the point.

Got_da_captain

Quote from: Big Papa Satan on July 27, 2014, 06:12:22 pm
        Define "can".  Having talent, resources, people for fanbases, etc. split three ways is what's holding the UM and MSU back.

If the state of Mississippi had one D-1 program, it would be a power.

Do that in the state of Arkansas, with less of a talent base...you see the point.
        Mississippi is plenty big enough for 2 as is Arkansas.. 3 is pushing it!

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: KaysFieldTouchdown on July 27, 2014, 10:03:46 am

It wasn't too long ago that UCA had more students than ASU. Then ASU decided that was embarrassing and did some things to correct that. ASU folks have been saying to the Hogs to not look over our shoulder forever..............Maybe ASU should do the same.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Got_da_captain on July 27, 2014, 11:33:29 pm
        Mississippi is plenty big enough for 2 as is Arkansas.. 3 is pushing it!

I don't think either state is large enough for two much less three.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Seminole Indian on July 24, 2014, 08:23:30 pm
        skullduggery by the UCA leadership really frustrated him.

All colleges have had bad leadership at some point including your ASU and my Hogs. Why should UCA be any different.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: ricepig on July 27, 2014, 04:10:28 pm

Different types of towns. The only real similarities is having a decent sized college. Conway has become primarily a big suburb of LR/NLR just like Jacksonville, Cabot, Benton, Vilonia and even some other small towns close by. Jonesboro is out in left field (not intended as a slap on them) not close to anything and has to try to be more self sufficient. Yet Memphis is only an hour away and Jonesboro's economy is not dependent on Memphis the way Conway's is on LR/NLR. It is still dependent somewhat on agriculture business and Conway isn't. To be hones tAll in all I'm not crazy about either of them but I bet you already knew that. IF I was forced however to choose between the two to live in I would take Conway. To each his own though.

ricepig

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on July 28, 2014, 05:42:16 pm
        It wasn't too long ago that UCA had more students than ASU. Then ASU decided that was embarrassing and did some things to correct that. ASU folks have been saying to the Hogs to not look over our shoulder forever..............Maybe ASU should do the same.

Arkansas Tech is growing faster than any college in state, I believe they passed UCA and are closing in on ASU.