Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

OBJECTIVE article on the QB situation

Started by Al Boarland, July 23, 2014, 10:37:40 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Al Boarland

Kevin

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Ironhawg

Something from this article that bothers me much more than BA being the starter again this coming season is the fact that there is still no other QB on campus who is close to challenging him. 

ricepig

Nothing that really hasn't been said for 7 months on here.

GuvHog

Quote from: ricepig on July 23, 2014, 10:44:58 am

True. You have to go with the best you've got and according to CBB, that's Brandon Allen. Here's to hoping he has a standout Heisman type season.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

ifghog

Quote from: Ironhawg on July 23, 2014, 10:42:19 am
Something from this article that bothers me much more than BA being the starter again this coming season is the fact that there is still no other QB on campus who is close to challenging him. 
There may be one by the start of season. Rafe is young....

hoglady

I just hope Brandon has a great season.
If he struggles I hope the fans - prior to crucifying him will at least consider the fact that we don't have a true QB coach.
I guess Chaney is designated as the OC/QB coach. But he has never really been a QB coach in the past. He's had some fine QB's under him as an OC - but he wasn't there position coach.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

onebadrubi

Yet people on here still will clamor that a true fresh with some good HS games and good 7 on 7 showcases can overtake a guy that sat in film rooms with BP, seen everything the SEC has to throw at him, and been working under the current offensive staff now for a full season plus an additional spring.  That to say, in 5 years you compare BA and RP by each of their seasons RP wont be better, BA is just ahead of where RP is.  Thats not a knock at all on RP, just means that next year we will see a brutal QB battle.  Yet, people forget we have Austin waiting in the balance as well.  I would fully expect to see Austin in some mop up duties this year before RP (this will really anger some on here too).. `

KlubhouseKonnected

I would have expected would be closer than "not even close" to his brother by now, based on the hype about him I read here. Either coach is downplaying the other guys to deflect criticism, BA actually HAS improved noticeably, or people were wrong about Austin.
If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

Hoggish1

If BA just gets better in all the areas that affect QB play, we will have a very good season.  Everybody around him is better.  He just needs to stay healthy and manage the game well.

Of the things he needs to do better, number one of those is read his keys and check down to the open man, and NOT stare down his receiver.

HF#1

We need our WR's to make plays.  We need them to catch the ball when it's thrown accurately.  Yes BA has to throw it accurately but our WR play was almost as bad as our safety play last season.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

footballfan

Quote from: onebadrubi on July 23, 2014, 11:30:11 am
Yet people on here still will clamor that a true fresh with some good HS games and good 7 on 7 showcases can overtake a guy that sat in film rooms with BP, seen everything the SEC has to throw at him, and been working under the current offensive staff now for a full season plus an additional spring. That to say, in 5 years you compare BA and RP by each of their seasons RP wont be better, BA is just ahead of where RP is.  Thats not a knock at all on RP, just means that next year we will see a brutal QB battle.  Yet, people forget we have Austin waiting in the balance as well.  I would fully expect to see Austin in some mop up duties this year before RP (this will really anger some on here too).. `

Excellent point

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: KlubhouseKonnected on July 23, 2014, 12:17:43 pm
I would have expected would be closer than "not even close" to his brother by now, based on the hype about him I read here. Either coach is downplaying the other guys to deflect criticism, BA actually HAS improved noticeably, or people were wrong about Austin.

Yes, I remember all the "Austin is better than his brother" stuff when he committed.  I think Brandon will be a serviceable QB for us during this rebuilding stage.  I think Rafe gets a shot only if Brandon gets hurt again or is just lousy.  Otherwise, he RS's.  Seriously doubt Rafe will be ready for SEC play his first year.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

footballfan

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on July 23, 2014, 02:56:21 pm
Yes, I remember all the "Austin is better than his brother" stuff when he committed.  I think Brandon will be a serviceable QB for us during this rebuilding stage.  I think Rafe gets a shot only if Brandon gets hurt again or is just lousy.  Otherwise, he RS's.  Seriously doubt Rafe will be ready for SEC play his first year.

Definitely. How many players, especially quarterbacks, are SEC read their first year?

footballfan

Quote from: ThrillaHog on July 23, 2014, 03:06:00 pm
I don'think BA is the answer nor will he ever be. Timing, Arm strength, staring down receivers, interceptions, toughness... he is not the answer

The answer to what question? Will he ever win us the SEC? No, but neither could Mallet or Wilson. Can we get to a bowl game with him this year? I think it will be tough, but it can be done. With the way our roster looks right now, even if we had Mallet or Wilson back there we win 8 or 9 at best. This is gonna be a process to get where we want to go. This year, we just need someone to get us to a bowl. Can he do that? I'm hopeful.

three hog night

Yet people on here still will clamor that a true fresh with some good HS games and good 7 on 7 showcases can overtake a guy that sat in film rooms with BP, seen everything the SEC has to throw at him, and been working under the current offensive staff now for a full season plus an additional spring.  That to say, in 5 years you compare BA and RP by each of their seasons RP wont be better, BA is just ahead of where RP is.  Thats not a knock at all on RP, just means that next year we will see a brutal QB battle.  Yet, people forget we have Austin waiting in the balance as well.  I would fully expect to see Austin in some mop up duties this year before RP (this will really anger some on here too).. `

Very well said
Petrino left a mess and Bielema is trying to fill in the talent gaps.  Anderson finally has some talent to work with.  He needs more at select positions and that will come in the next recruiting class. 
Posters that think they are Jim Rhome are ruining message boards.

three hog night

Quote from: HogFan#1 on July 23, 2014, 02:54:13 pm
We need our WR's to make plays.  We need them to catch the ball when it's thrown accurately.  Yes BA has to throw it accurately but our WR play was almost as bad as our safety play last season.

Bingo
Petrino left a mess and Bielema is trying to fill in the talent gaps.  Anderson finally has some talent to work with.  He needs more at select positions and that will come in the next recruiting class. 
Posters that think they are Jim Rhome are ruining message boards.

alohawg

It's all a smoke screen, he's foolin' everybody, including Auburn. All that preparation ('bout 10 min.) for BA and AA is gonna stroll out and set the SEC on fire!  :)
"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️
https://t.me/covidbc

ThrillaHog

Quote from: footballfan on July 23, 2014, 03:10:03 pm
The answer to what question? Will he ever win us the SEC? No, but neither could Mallet or Wilson. Can we get to a bowl game with him this year? I think it will be tough, but it can be done. With the way our roster looks right now, even if we had Mallet or Wilson back there we win 8 or 9 at best. This is gonna be a process to get where we want to go. This year, we just need someone to get us to a bowl. Can he do that? I'm hopeful.

Hope is great, but reality just keeps staring me in the face. I want the best for  my Hogs, but BA just hasn't shown me anything to instill hope. We will struggle again for the simple fact that they will stack 9 in the box and dare BA to throw the ball. We have a spectacular running game but the QB position is just not very good at all, and what happens if BA goes down again?

BorderPatrol

Quote from: ThrillaHog on July 23, 2014, 03:15:48 pm
Hope is great, but reality just keeps staring me in the face. I want the best for  my Hogs, but BA just hasn't shown me anything to instill hope. We will struggle again for the simple fact that they will stack 9 in the box and dare BA to throw the ball. We have a spectacular running game but the QB position is just not very good at all, and what happens if BA goes down again?

So, you are saying he hasn't improved? I mean, not in the least?

bp

footballfan

Quote from: ThrillaHog on July 23, 2014, 03:15:48 pm

This question should tell you just how shallow we are at QB and just what a long hard process it will be for us to climb the hill in front of us. I'm thinking perhaps a transfer QB might be best for 2015. Its worked for us in the past.

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: hoglady on July 23, 2014, 11:04:25 am
If he struggles I hope the fans - prior to crucifying him will at least consider the fact that we don't have a true QB coach.
I guess Chaney is designated as the OC/QB coach. But he has never really been a QB coach in the past. He's had some fine QB's under him as an OC - but he wasn't there position coach.

You don't have that story quite right. And having a so-called QB coach has rarely been a significant solution for Arkansas in the past 30 years. Beyond that, coaching was not the QB problem in 2013. If you don't know that, you aren't trying.
[CENSORED]!

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: ThrillaHog on July 23, 2014, 03:06:00 pm
I don'think BA is the answer nor will he ever be. Timing, Arm strength, staring down receivers, interceptions, toughness... he is not the answer

LOL at the "staring down receivers" canard. Why does Arkansas need a QB coach? Hogville has a hundred of them.
[CENSORED]!

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: ThrillaHog on July 23, 2014, 03:26:36 pm
The guy is an interception machine, Sorry that I don't have more sunshine to pump but I call it like I see it. I hope to God he proves me wrong..

Please tell me what you see. I haven't seen a football game in at least a few days.
[CENSORED]!

ThrillaHog

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on July 23, 2014, 03:26:54 pm
LOL at the "staring down receivers" canard. Why does Arkansas need a QB coach? Hogville has a hundred of them.

So you never noticed how he stares at a receiver from the time the ball is snapped until he throws it to them? Go back and watch some of the games from last season, he was a db's dream. And one thing I want to make clear, I do not dislike BA, I'm just stating facts Biggus

PonderinHog

Yeah, but they're not all on the same page.

dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya

published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

R.I.P. notshavintilnuttgo 12/11/07

earshot

In the 2 games he played before he hurt his shoulder last year. His stats are 24/34 62%, 355 yrds, 5 TD's 0 int's.

He is not as bad as he looked after his injury.

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: ThrillaHog on July 23, 2014, 03:32:57 pm
So you never noticed how he stares at a receiver from the time the ball is snapped until he throws it to them? Go back and watch some of the games from last season, he was a db's dream. And one thing I want to make clear, I do not dislike BA, I'm just stating facts Biggus

groan

please read more
[CENSORED]!

sportster365

We don't usually agree, but this time you're right. Most of us already expected Brandon to return this year as the starter, that's a no brainer. He's the most experienced. The question is how long will he remain the starter?

He's probably the most game ready, but I think Austin gives us a better chance at winning. I honestly think CBB should find a way to incorporate both Allens into the system. Run a two QB system, that way it would relieve a lot of the pressure off Brandon without overbearing Austin. It's a unique situation in which I think two brothers could handle.

I did like the idea that Turner was quoted saying, Brandon's reads are coming faster and he's getting rid of the ball a lot quicker.

IntegrityHog

You Brandon-Haters better just get used to seeing him.  He is the best quarterback option at this point, partly because of his experience.  Next year will be the same - he will give us the best chance to win due to 4 years under his belt.

Rafe will redshirt this year, and will be the back-up during Brandon's senior year.  Would not be surprised to see Austin transfer or change positions.

Dan42AR

I hope that Rafe does not get thrown to the wolves this year I believe that most freshmen qb's need to redshirt in order to have a better transition to the college game. But then Rafe is also in a bad position because next year we have Ty Storey coming in that may just be one of the few that could contribute from day one.

chitwnhog

Quote from: earshot on July 23, 2014, 03:39:28 pm
In the 2 games he played before he hurt his shoulder last year. His stats are 24/34 62%, 355 yrds, 5 TD's 0 int's.

And his senior year in HS he threw zero interceptions in the regular season. I think he may have thrown one in the playoffs.

sportster365

Quote from: earshot on July 23, 2014, 03:39:28 pm

he was actually 26/39 66% for 355yds, 5 TDs - But keep in perspective that was against Samford and ULL. What continues to boggle guys like ThrillaHog and myself is the overall picture. The 2012 ULM game, the 2012 Alabama game, all of the 2013 season, and to top it all off the 2014 spring game didn't look any better.

2012 included a completely healthy BA with a couple of solid hands in Hamilton and Graggs. The excuse then was that he was inexperienced and Paul Petrino's an idiot.

2013 the excuse was the injury and the idea that he didn't have anyone to throw to. Yet hindsight has shown 2 of his receivers went on to join NFL rosters.

2014 Spring, fans bailed early. Disappointed by seeing much of the same so trying to convince folks that a kid with a 2-10 record as QB for at least a half, has what it takes to get it done is a really hard sell.

BorderPatrol

Quote from: Don Hogleone on July 23, 2014, 04:05:42 pm
2014 Spring, fans bailed early. Disappointed by seeing much of the same so trying to convince folks that a kid with a 2-10 record as QB for at least a half, has what it takes to get it done is a really hard sell.

Fail...

bp

onebadrubi

Quote from: Dan42AR on July 23, 2014, 03:46:20 pm
I hope that Rafe does not get thrown to the wolves this year I believe that most freshmen qb's need to redshirt in order to have a better transition to the college game. But then Rafe is also in a bad position because next year we have Ty Storey coming in that may just be one of the few that could contribute from day one.

And?  Hypothetical here:  Rafe redshirts this year, maybe even sits next year, Ty redshirts next year and sits the following (rafes Coming out season) then you have Ty with great HS ability and hype have two years to catch up to speed of game, sit in meetings and film, and have 3 years to play.  That's season 2017,18,and 19.  So all of a sudden, we have stud QB's on campus or solid commits till 2019.  Mind you we will need depth (ala last year). If you could offer a QB 3 years to play, where is the problem in that??? 

hoglady

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on July 23, 2014, 03:25:49 pm
You don't have that story quite right. And having a so-called QB coach has rarely been a significant solution for Arkansas in the past 30 years. Beyond that, coaching was not the QB problem in 2013. If you don't know that, you aren't trying.

Even Chaney admitted as much on the radio a while back.
He said he didn't know the players well enough and installed too much,  too quickly, especially with Brandon's limited practice time. Which much of the year was only one day a week. I don't know how everyone on here expected Brandon to improve last year playing hurt and practicing one day a week.
He took a ton of uncalled for bashing.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."

Biggus Piggus

The 2012 ULM game, the 2012 Alabama game, all of the 2013 season, and to top it all off the 2014 spring game didn't look any better.

Crap, you're going to blame him for 2012? That's wrong. And I have never seen so many people try to extrapolate so much from a Red-White game, not before this year. Sheesh.
[CENSORED]!

HF#1

When I throw something at someone, I look at them too. 
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

hoglady

Chaney addressed the staring the receivers knock on Brandon when I listened to him on the radio. He said in most of those instances Brandon is doing exactly what he's supposed to do - it's a called play to a particular receiver. No progressions for him to go through - 3 step drop, short pass route to one guy.

MuskogeeHogFan

July 23, 2014, 05:03:18 pm #40 Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 05:43:46 pm by MuskogeeHogFan
he was actually 26/39 66% for 355yds, 5 TDs - But keep in perspective that was against Samford and ULL. What continues to boggle guys like ThrillaHog and myself is the overall picture. The 2012 ULM game, the 2012 Alabama game, all of the 2013 season, and to top it all off the 2014 spring game didn't look any better.

2012 included a completely healthy BA with a couple of solid hands in Hamilton and Graggs. The excuse then was that he was inexperienced and Paul Petrino's an idiot.

2013 the excuse was the injury and the idea that he didn't have anyone to throw to. Yet hindsight has shown 2 of his receivers went on to join NFL rosters.

First of all, Gragg and BA had three games in common in 2012, Jacksonville State, La-Monroe and Alabama. BA was a true freshman and kinda got thrown to the wolves vs. ULM (and then Alabama), but make no mistake, even Wilson didn't set the world on fire vs. ULM going 11 of 20 for 196 yards and 1 INT, 2 TD's.

Allen got hammered vs. Alabama going 10 of 18 for 60 yards and 2 INT's, but even the beloved Brandon Mitchell who many bemoaned being allowed to transfer, only went 1 for 7 for 19 yards in that game.

Allen had only 4 pass attempts after Alabama (third game of the season that year), for the rest of the year.

Hamilton was certainly there, but TW took the majority of snaps in 2012 and Hamilton was his favorite WR, looking to him first before anyone else, accounting for his receiving numbers.

In 2013, the injury wasn't an excuse, it was a fact. Try throwing the football with any zip, for any distance or any given accuracy with a separated shoulder.

It really helps your trolling arguments if you have the facts straight. But please, do carry on with your agenda. Your time is limited.
Go Hogs Go!

chitwnhog

July 23, 2014, 05:11:01 pm #41 Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 06:30:43 pm by DawgTownHog
Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on July 23, 2014, 05:03:18 pm

First of all, Gragg and BA had two games in common in 2012, Jacksonville State and La-Monroe. BA was a true freshman and kinda got thrown to the wolves vs. ULM (and then Alabama), but make no mistake, even Wilson didn't set the world on fire vs. ULM going 11 of 20 for 196 yards and 1 INT, 2 TD's.

Allen got hammered vs. Alabama going 10 of 18 for 60 yards and 2 INT's, but even the beloved Brandon Mitchell who many bemoaned being allowed to transfer, only went 1 for 7 for 19 yards in that game.

Allen had only 4 pass attempts after Alabama (third game of the season that year), for the rest of the year.

Hamilton was certainly there, but TW took the majority of snaps in 2012 and Hamilton was his favorite WR, looking to him first before anyone else, accounting for his receiving numbers.

In 2013, the injury wasn't an excuse, it was a fact. Try throwing the football with any zip, for any distance or any given accuracy with a separated shoulder.

It really helps your trolling arguments if you have the facts straight. But please, do carry on with your agenda. Your time is limited.

Seriously...I would be more than happy to separate the lil Don's shoulder and then play catch. I separated my shoulder once and it was no fun, to this day I cannot do any kind of shoulder press without hearing a popping sound and the ensuing pain cannot imagine trying to throw a football after.

Chief Mac

Quote from: hoglady on July 23, 2014, 11:04:25 am

Quote from: Mike Irwin on July 22, 2014, 05:10:44 am
Chaney is one smart fellow. It'll never happen but I'd love to see him post a response to the Brandon Allen "stare down" Nazis.

I asked Barry Lunney Jr. (a pretty fair SEC QB in his day) his reaction to the claim by some here that Chaney cannot teach proper QB mechanics because he never was a QB. He laughed. Not a snicker but a deep, full blown belly laugh.

Then he said, " That man can coach any position on the field including defense. I've never been around anybody with a better fundamental understanding of all parts of the game of football than coach Chaney."
"We spend two hundred and fifty billion dollars a year on defense and here we are....the fate of the planet in the hands of a bunch of retards I wouldn't trust with a potato gun!

onebadrubi

Quote from: ThrillaHog on July 23, 2014, 06:22:56 pm
Please don't speak the truth about how BA has performed on the field, people obviously can't handle it.

Ahh yes, BA should have performed so much better at the ULM and bama game with Paul and John L leading him.  The fact that ANYONE uses that in any discussions warrants not taking them serious.  You are incapable of compiling all important aspects to concluding an analysis of the kid.  What about the LSU game last year?  He wasn't awful and was improved, oh wait that wasn't because he had time to adjust to his third regime in three years and most time healed from a separated shoulder.  Noone gives the kid credit for running out there every time to get WACKED repeatedly.  And to say he had receivers last year is laughable. 

You guys hate in Bielema is shining when discussing this.  Have y'all not given up and said you know what, no matter how much we loan and groan we can't do anything about it?  Get over it, he's here, he's doing great things in the clubhouse, classroom, and we should see growth on the field.  He's here for at least 3 more years, quit the moaning and groaning and support what we got.  At this point you have to run what ya brung. 

poloprince

If all Rafe Peavey lacks is experience i say play him.
$PoLoPrInCe$

chitwnhog

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: poloprince on July 23, 2014, 07:18:57 pm
If all Rafe Peavey lacks is experience i say play him.

Recipe, unfairly I might add for RP, for another 3-9 season.
Go Hogs Go!

Hogwild

Quote from: footballfan on July 23, 2014, 03:02:36 pm

Definitely. How many players, especially quarterbacks, are SEC read their first year?

It will be interesting to see if LSU starts a true freshman this year.

chitwnhog

Quote from: Hogwild on July 23, 2014, 07:36:41 pm
It will be interesting to see if LSU starts a true freshman this year.

I'm thinking Anthony Jennings.

Hogwild

http://espn.go.com/blog/sec/post/_/id/85581/sec-qb-battles-heading-into-fall-camp

Maybe so but I just read this earlier in the day-

Anthony Jennings vs. Brandon Harris: Jennings ended last season with mixed reviews after replacing an injured Zach Mettenberger. And his spring got even tougher with the emergence of Harris, a true freshman. Both are incredibly inexperienced, but have that dual-threat quality that will help either this fall, as they try to run this offense. Harris really impressed his coaches and teammates this spring, and many think he might have a slight advantage. Coach Les Miles raved about him at SEC media days and praised his throwing ability, something Jennings has to work more on going forward. Advantage: Harris