Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

We may be the dumbest fan base, but Bama fans are generally the worst people in the country

Started by popcornhog, July 22, 2014, 09:51:54 am

Previous topic - Next topic

popcornhog

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-dr-saturday/former-lsu-qb-zach-mettenberger-sucker-punched-by-alabama-fan-after-friend-yelled--roll-tide--195435487.html

"Here's the truth: The guy said something about 'Roll Tide!' to Zach, and Zach turned around and said 'Good luck with that,'" owner Steve Ford told the paper Monday. "And the guy's buddy then sucker-punched Zach.

"I promise you that Mettenberger did not throw a punch. He didn't do anything. The guy sucker-punched him in the eye, that's the bottom line, and the guy that punched him started running out the door. My door guys had to chase him down."

WPS

Mike Irwin

The dumbest fan base is a myth created by certain members of the national media who were actually dumb themselves because they listened to Houston Nutt and accepted what he said without any attempt to verify the accuracy of his intentionally bogus claims.

As for Alabama fans, stay away from them. They're not all crazy but the ones who are are dangerous and will strike without warning as Zach Mettenberger found out.

BrassNunchucks

Quote from: Mike Irwin on July 22, 2014, 10:09:59 am
The dumbest fan base is a myth created by certain members of the national media who were actually dumb themselves because they listened to Houston Nutt and accepted what he said without any attempt to verify the accuracy of his intentionally bogus claims.

Don't doubt this, but what are you referring to specifically?

popcornhog

WPS

popcornhog

As for Alabama fans, stay away from them. They're not all crazy but the ones who are are dangerous and will strike without warning as Zach Mettenberger found out.

Mike, you're a very sharp guy -- surely you realize that the title of the thread was in jest -- just like the Clay Travis article.

Seriously though, the Bama fan base has some real nuts.
WPS

Mike Irwin

Quote from: BrassNunchucks on July 22, 2014, 10:16:07 am
Don't doubt this, but what are you referring to specifically?
For starters Nutt's claim that an entire fan base from a nearby high school was trying to railroad him out as head coach so that that school's former coach could become Arkansas head coach.

He had them believing that a single mother of four who spent 90% of her time trying to keep a small business she owned in the black, was the most powerful woman in Arkansas.

The list is too long to get into but he also had them believing that the rich and powerful Johnny Tyson was out to get him even to the point of offering him a 7 million dollar buyout.

Tyson got a big laugh out of that one.

secneahog

I live in South Mississippi and I always wear my Arkansas hat. Which looks just like the Arkansas baseball team hat.

Every time I see a Alabama fan they see my hat and say...roll tide! And try and give me a high five.

I have to tell them....wrong A dude.....and walk away. Their fan base is a joke.
Remix MMA.  Alan "the talent" Belcher - Born_Imboden Arkansas- Next 185 UFC Champ!

Mike Irwin

Quote from: popcornhog on July 22, 2014, 10:34:24 am
Mike, you're a very sharp guy -- surely you realize that the title of the thread was in jest -- just like the Clay Travis article.

Seriously though, the Bama fan base has some real nuts.
In jest from you, yes, but outside this state you would not believe the number of people I run into who ask me if Razorback fans are out of their collective minds. They always bring up the Nutt crap.

This guy sold out his school's own fans in an attempt to gain sympathy from the national media. The damage has lasted way beyond anything else he did.

TUSKtimes

Quote from: secneahog on July 22, 2014, 10:40:00 am
I live in South Mississippi and I always wear my Arkansas hat. Which looks just like the Arkansas baseball team hat.

Every time I see a Alabama fan they see my hat and say...roll tide! And try and give me a high five.

I have to tell them....wrong A dude.....and walk away. Their fan base is a joke.

Every time I see a rival SEC fan wear their gear, I say, "Roll Tide!!"

Frankly, I've never had anyone confuse my scripted A as an Arkansas fan.

secneahog

Quote from: TUSKtimes on July 22, 2014, 10:47:18 am

It's the toothless Bammer fans that has a wore out Alabama tshirt on showing off their championships on he back of the shirt.

Saban band wagon jumpers. 65% of Alabama fan base.
Remix MMA.  Alan "the talent" Belcher - Born_Imboden Arkansas- Next 185 UFC Champ!

Magic_Hogg

What a tool.  Guy punches him and then tries to run out the door.  I agree with whoever said to stay away from AL fans, period.  Remember the ex-cop that poisoned the trees - just had too much "Bamako" in him?  Delusional, dangerous people.

Btw is there any difference bw the AL and AR "A" on the baseball hat?  I have never worn that style Bc did not want it to be confused with anything else.

Hogman2

Quote from: Mike Irwin on July 22, 2014, 10:41:55 am
In jest from you, yes, but outside this state you would not believe the number of people I run into who ask me if Razorback fans are out of their collective minds. They always bring up the Nutt crap.

This guy sold out his school's own fans in an attempt to gain sympathy from the national media. The damage has lasted way beyond anything else he did.
Nutt was the world's greatest excuse maker for his lack of coaching ability!

TUSKtimes

Quote from: secneahog on July 22, 2014, 10:51:38 am

It's the toothless Bammer fans that has a wore out Alabama tshirt on showing off their championships on he back of the shirt.

A perpetually foolish argument. Everyone loves a winner. No matter who, where, when, why, fans love to temporarily attach themselves to the latest and greatest, in any sport.

Bama's fan base has been historical seen and discussed for decades. Long before you thought about the game. You speak in extremes, through your red colored glasses. Pretty much what you are accusing the bandwagon fans of.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: TUSKtimes on July 22, 2014, 10:47:18 am

You MIGHT want to check out the differences. I'll give you a hint......................FONT.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

scootriteby

Quote from: Magic_Hogg on July 22, 2014, 10:55:04 am
What a tool.  Guy punches him and then tries to run out the door.  I agree with whoever said to stay away from AL fans, period.  Remember the ex-cop that poisoned the trees - just had too much "Bamako" in him?  Delusional, dangerous people.

Btw is there any difference bw the AL and AR "A" on the baseball hat? I have never worn that style Bc did not want it to be confused with anything else.
I am curious also, because they do seem very similar to me.

PonderinHog

Quote from: scootriteby on July 22, 2014, 11:05:40 am
I am curious also, because they do seem very similar to me.
It's simple, really.  Alabama's sux and Arkansas' is beautiful.

popcornhog

I just don't think about those years anymore.

I really hope that Bielema can get us back to being in the SECW conversation again in the next couple of years. Living in KC and dating an LSU alumna.
WPS

popcornhog

Btw is there any difference bw the AL and AR "A" on the baseball hat?  I have never worn that style Bc did not want it to be confused with anything else.

Yes. The Arkansas A is more squared off. The Bama A is nearly identical to a Braves logo.

It's kind of subtle, but you can tell if you contrast them next to each other.
WPS

popcornhog

Quote from: secneahog on July 22, 2014, 10:51:38 am

You serious?! They've had a nutty, massive, passionate fan base for much longer than I've been alive (late 1983).

True that lots of them are crazy rednecks that didn't go to school in Tuscaloosa but this is not something that has occurred since Saban.
WPS

WizardofhOgZ

Bama hat (and their version of the "A"):

. . . and ours . . .

Jafo

Steef

The two "A"s are similar enough to be confusing. So I've never bought any gear with just an A.

Houston Nutt hurt us.

And Mike should write a book.

Here in No Carolina, I don't have to worry much about Bama fans. But Duke fans are another story.

John Futrall

Also,

Harvey Updyke Jr

TUSKtimes

They're not all crazy but the ones who are are dangerous and will strike without warning as Zach Mettenberger found out.

You must have been watching the Mett trying to crawl off the field in the 4th quarter of last season's game against the Tide?

Steef

Quote from: TUSKtimes on July 22, 2014, 11:39:05 am
You must have been watching the Mett trying to crawl off the field in the 4th quarter of last season's game against the Tide?

Thank you for proving the point.

Inhogswetrust

If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

The Galloping Ghost

Quote from: TUSKtimes on July 22, 2014, 11:39:05 am

My Gawd! Has there ever been clearer validation of a point made?!?

Get off the Internet's now Updyke. You're sisters waiting for you in the shower. She needs you to pull the rope.
"The only football players in my time were fellows who really loved to play football. They were not in it for the money. There wasn't much money there. They would have played football for nothing."

Big Poppa Z

It's difficult to sell banners and FOI's as sanity.

Our fan base was embarrassing at the time, only shown as worse by those who would apologize for Bobby Petrino.

RT1941

Quote from: popcornhog on July 22, 2014, 09:51:54 am
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-dr-saturday/former-lsu-qb-zach-mettenberger-sucker-punched-by-alabama-fan-after-friend-yelled--roll-tide--195435487.html

"Here's the truth: The guy said something about 'Roll Tide!' to Zach, and Zach turned around and said 'Good luck with that,'" owner Steve Ford told the paper Monday. "And the guy's buddy then sucker-punched Zach.

"I promise you that Mettenberger did not throw a punch. He didn't do anything. The guy sucker-punched him in the eye, that's the bottom line, and the guy that punched him started running out the door. My door guys had to chase him down."

Wonder why Mettenberger didn't press charges?
RazorTusk!!!!

hogfan14

I was talking to some oklahoma fans the other day who called our fanbase delusional.

They said we think we're up there with bama and LSU "despite only winning 7 games a year since 2000".

Never heard anyone say that, but whatever. Who cares what they think.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: hogfan14 on July 22, 2014, 01:38:25 pm
I was talking to some oklahoma fans the other day who called our fanbase delusional.

They said we think we're up there with bama and LSU "despite only winning 7 games a year since 2000".

Never heard anyone say that, but whatever. Who cares what they think.

OU...............the only team in the country actually named after cheaters................................

Big Papa Satan

Quote from: hogfan14 on July 22, 2014, 01:38:25 pm

The Land Thieves are up there with anyone in terms of obnoxiousness.

Dwight_K_Shrute

So the family and I were down on the Riviera last week for vacay.  The Bama crap you see down there is nauseating but it is their home state.

I have a 15 year old daughter she brought a friend and I have a 10 year old.  The game was called Roll Tide.  Every time you saw any Bama gear, hat, flag tent, car magnet, t-shirt, etc., the first person to see it had to say Roll Tide then they could punch someone in the arm, very much like slug bug.  We all had fun with it, but by the end of the week they were ready to gtf out of there and now have a good negative association with "Roll Tide"  They also got a good feeling for what the typical Tide fan is like.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

El Puerco Grande

Had an encounter with a Bama fan this weekend. He had the hat with just an "A" on it, and I simply asked if it was us or Bama. He went on a rant about how much better Bama was than Arkansas, and acted like an arrogant ass. I was with family, and did not want to provoke him, and just let him talk smack for a minute. The next morning I ran into him in the hotel, sober, and asked him where in Bama  he grew up. He said he was from Fort Worth, but married a girl from Alabama. My favorite kind of fan. One who has to let his wife tell him who to root for. What a whipped weasel.
How 'bout them hogs?

Boston RedHogs

Quote from: WizardofhOgZ on July 22, 2014, 11:15:27 am

. . . and ours . . .

Bama's "A" is the same as the Atlanta Braves
Razorbacks "A" is the same as the Oakland Athletics

WashUhog6

Quote from: WizardofhOgZ on July 22, 2014, 11:15:27 am

. . . and ours . . .

I've never understood the confusion. They are extremely easy to distinguish between.

GolfnHog

Quote from: El Puerco Grande on July 22, 2014, 02:22:03 pm
Had an encounter with a Bama fan this weekend. He had the hat with just an "A" on it, and I simply asked if it was us or Bama. He went on a rant about how much better Bama was than Arkansas, and acted like an arrogant ass. I was with family, and did not want to provoke him, and just let him talk smack for a minute. The next morning I ran into him in the hotel, sober, and asked him where in Bama  he grew up. He said he was from Fort Worth, but married a girl from Alabama. My favorite kind of fan. One who has to let his wife tell him who to root for. What a whipped weasel.

Sounds if he may be kin to Harvey Updike.
Have you ever listened to someone  or read what they put into thoughts and wondered...."who ties your shoelaces for you?"

Mike Irwin

Quote from: Zeke__in__KC on July 22, 2014, 01:30:30 pm
It's difficult to sell banners and FOI's as sanity.

Our fan base was embarrassing at the time, only shown as worse by those who would apologize for Bobby Petrino.
If you believe that you're clueless. Those fans knew what was going on and they knew nobody at the U of A was doing anything about it. So they took the matter into their own hands.

This wasn't about wins vs losses. It was not a typical football situation. Arkansas had a head coach who was the opposite of what he claimed. He was in the people hurting business.

Desperate times call for desperate measures and those fans who embarrassed you stepped to the plate and helped get rid a problem that was tearing the football program apart.

BorderPatrol

Quote from: Boston RedHogs on July 22, 2014, 02:25:15 pm

Bama's "A" is the same as the Atlanta Braves
Razorbacks "A" is the same as the Oakland Athletics

Kinda, but not really.

bp

Big Poppa Z

Quote from: Mike Irwin on July 22, 2014, 03:04:13 pm
If you believe that you're clueless. Those fans knew what was going on and they knew nobody at the U of A was doing anything about it. So they took the matter into their own hands.

This wasn't about wins vs losses. It was not a typical football situation. Arkansas had a head coach who was the opposite of what he claimed. He was in the people hurting business.

Desperate times call for desperate measures and those fans who embarrassed you stepped to the plate and helped get rid a problem that was tearing the football program apart.

That's certainly one irrational and apologist answer for inexcusable fan behavior.

There are others.

Nationwide, those actions HURT us as evidenced by your previous post noting perception.

There nothing clueless, here.  Just perspective.

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: Mike Irwin on July 22, 2014, 03:04:13 pm

Bingo, the fans weren't embarrassing the HC was, and in many respects still is.  Nutt tried to bully the main fan that first FOI'd the phone records.  This is the stuff that brought the real Houston Nutt to light for everyone to see.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

Andrew Hogfan

My neighbor got out of his truck one day with a bama script A hat on his head. From across the street I yelled what the f@#* is that doing on your head? He said I didn'tthink anyone would notice. I said wrong. You can tell the difference.
WPS!!!

WashUhog6

I'm stunned by the surge of Nutt apologists and revisionist history that's making the rounds here lately.

Seriously, if you want the truth, Mike Irwin has had to outline it in detail many times in only the past few weeks. What Nutt did in late 2005 and beyond is something that should not be forgotten.

To compare a BP apologist--who aren't even that bad in the first place--to those who stood up to Nutt's antics is complete BS because you used the comparison in order to degrade those who took action when it was needed. Also, BP was arrogant and thought he was larger than the program which resulted in some bad times for Arkansas football. Nutt, on the other hand, was the mastermind of malicious actions meant to destroy the football career's of young men and undermine the entire Arkansas program and its fan base.

LZH

Quote from: WashUhog6 on July 22, 2014, 05:14:55 pm
I'm stunned by the surge of Nutt apologists and revisionist history that's making the rounds here lately.

Don't be.  Petrino lovers, either.

They walk among us.

chitwnhog

Quote from: WashUhog6 on July 22, 2014, 05:14:55 pm

Seriously, if you want the truth, Mike Irwin has had to outline it in detail many times in only the past few weeks. What Nutt did in late 2005 and beyond is something that should not be forgotten.

To compare a BP apologist--who aren't even that bad in the first place--to those who stood up to Nutt's antics is complete BS because you used the comparison in order to degrade those who took action when it was needed. Also, BP was arrogant and thought he was larger than the program which resulted in some bad times for Arkansas football. Nutt, on the other hand, was the mastermind of malicious actions meant to destroy the football career's of young men and undermine the entire Arkansas program and its fan base.
Stop...stop...we can't speak of such things. Nutt wasn't so bad n Petrino has learned his lesson.

Unfortunately this seems to be the line.

BrassNunchucks

hogcard1964

Oh my God!  Can we concentrate on something meaningful? How about winning more than 7 games this year?

chitwnhog

Quote from: hogcard1964 on July 22, 2014, 06:11:19 pm
Oh my God!  Can we concentrate on something meaningful? How about winning more than 7 games this year?

More than 7? This season? Even I with my Razorback red colored sunglasses don't see that happening.

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: WashUhog6 on July 22, 2014, 02:30:02 pm
I've never understood the confusion. They are extremely easy to distinguish between.

Yep all our strokes turn down and theirs turn up, wonder what that means.