Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

UALR / UCLA

Started by twistitup, July 21, 2014, 09:08:40 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ricepig

Quote from: twistitup on July 22, 2014, 08:45:35 pm
Once again, UALR and UofA are part of the same university system - Houston and A&M are not. Your comparison doesn't make sense .

Yes, LR could support a D1 football program in my opinion

Little Rock can't support an arena, high school football, or much of anything.

Sweet Feet

Quote from: Ashley Schaeffer on July 22, 2014, 08:37:34 pm
Or put in other terms, if UALR wants to ever field a D1 football team, they will need to leave the umbrella of the University of Arkansas, and adopt a Sciences based focus. Ala UCLA.
They can still do it under the ua system. Look at nebraska and the two schools thats in the same system in kearney and once, omaha. Look at utsa

Sweet Feet

Quote from: ricepig on July 22, 2014, 08:51:35 pm
You are just trolling now. You dont have any relevant facts. Take a seat

HogFanatic

It won't be long and War Memorial Stadium will be torn down.

Little Rock can't even manage a collegiate stadium of 55,000, much less one of 75,000+.

This really isn't a question. Little Rock doesn't have the money. Unless they were to simply move the funding to Little Rock and change the entire focus of the University's direction.

Are you people that hard up for a victory? That you will supplant the University itself?

I have a slight problem with that line of thought.

ricepig

Quote from: Sweet Feet on July 22, 2014, 08:55:13 pm

You are just trolling now. You dont have any relevant facts. Take a seat

Disprove those, Sweet Pea...

chitwnhog

Quote from: ricepig on July 22, 2014, 08:51:35 pm

Verizon seems to be doing well...HS football not so much but in my mind much of that can be blamed on John Walker and his decades long desegregation litigation which only accomplished killing LR schools/athletics and making him a millionaire. As far as anything else? Meh...there are many positives.

ricepig

Quote from: DawgTownHog on July 22, 2014, 08:58:34 pm
Verizon seems to be doing well...HS football not so much but in my mind much of that can be blamed on John Walker and his decades long desegregation litigation which only accomplished killing LR schools/athletics and making him a millionaire. As far as anything else? Meh...there are many positives.

Verizon is in NLR, thus, not in LR.

Sweet Feet

Quote from: Ashley Schaeffer on July 22, 2014, 08:47:00 pm
I understand your point, man, but I don't think you understand mine.

UofA already HAS a D1 program. In Fayetteville.

ETA: To allow ANOTHER D1 program under the same umbrella to establish itself in another location means to lose money for the school. Which is an agricultural school. Which they don't do in Little Rock.

It's really just that simple. The UofA is the state's flagship program and has been for a LONG time. Why in the HELL would they make a move to cut their own funding? It makes absolutely no sense. They're doing just fine where they are.
you may wana take a look at utep, utsa, the nevada schools, and any other d1 system schools i missed

HogFanatic

Quote from: Sweet Feet on July 22, 2014, 09:00:04 pm
you may wana take a look at utep, utsa, the nevada schools, and any other d1 system schools i missed

Hmm...

Sorry, I had to actually double check to make sure those schools were actually D1 and not some mid-major program.
Get my drift?

ETA: On second thought, you probably don't.

Let me spell it out.
They
All
Suck

BAD

chitwnhog

Quote from: ricepig on July 22, 2014, 08:59:53 pm
Verizon is in NLR, thus, not in LR.

We'll in truth Little Rock/North Little Rock have become one large city much like Minneapolis/St. Paul but keep on bashin.

Sweet Feet

Quote from: Ashley Schaeffer on July 22, 2014, 09:01:24 pm
Hmm...

Sorry, I had to actually double check to make sure those schools were actually D1 and not some mid-major program.
Get my drift?
They are mid-major programs in D1. Tf? And who cares if they suck? We are talking about if they can field a football program. Every school will have their ups and downs. Uab once beat nick saban (something the hogs now dream they could do) nevada-reno went 12-1 in 2010 and unlv beat somebody in a bowl game in 2000. So the quality of the team is not being accessed

HogFanatic

Quote from: Sweet Feet on July 22, 2014, 09:03:16 pm
They are mid-major programs in D1. Tf?

OK.
Excellent job making your point for establishing another D1 program in Little Rock. Say goodbye to playing in the SEC, now we will play in the SunBelt.

ricepig

Quote from: DawgTownHog on July 22, 2014, 09:02:48 pm
We'll in truth Little Rock/North Little Rock have become one large city much like Minneapolis/St. Paul but keep on bashin.
Oh, ok, whatever, it's not going to happen. They can't support their athletic teams without having a large student athletic fee, and they don't have a football team. I guess if someone wants to give them $20mil to start up a team it's possible, but good luck with that.

HogFanatic

Minneapolis = Little Rock?!!

Jesus, I should have stayed away from this thread.
It's like the annual thread asking why Wal-Mart doesn't sponsor our sports program.

Sweet Feet

Quote from: Ashley Schaeffer on July 22, 2014, 09:06:53 pm
OK.
Excellent job making your point for establishing another D1 program in Little Rock. Say goodbye to playing in the SEC, now we will play in the SunBelt.
if you and the ua system really think ualr having a football team will hurt the hogs, then yall are both irrational and insecure compared to the other major system schools like alabama and texas

chitwnhog

Quote from: ricepig on July 22, 2014, 09:07:21 pm
Oh, ok, whatever, it's not going to happen. They can't support their athletic teams without having a large student athletic fee, and they don't have a football team. I guess if someone wants to give them $20mil to start up a team it's possible, but good luck with that.

Woah now...if ya look back I posted earlier that UALR would never field a football team. I stand by that statement. My response to you was because ya seemed to just be bashing LR.

HogFanatic

Quote from: Sweet Feet on July 22, 2014, 09:10:53 pm
if you and the ua system really think ualr having a football team will hurt the hogs, then yall are both irrational and insecure compared to the other major system schools like alabama and texas

And you have no concept of population density.
Good luck in life, and don't try and run a business.

Sweet Feet

Quote from: ricepig on July 22, 2014, 09:07:21 pm
they got 22.4 million from jack stephens before he passed and a private donation to build the soccer/track complex.
Its very possible

Sweet Feet

Quote from: Ashley Schaeffer on July 22, 2014, 09:12:01 pm
And you have no concept of population density.
Good luck in life, and don't try and run a business.
like i said, irrational and insecure

twistitup

Why in the HELL would they make a move to cut their own funding?

Wouldn't this move, if successful, add value to the overall UofA system?
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

chitwnhog

Quote from: Ashley Schaeffer on July 22, 2014, 09:10:05 pm
Minneapolis = Little Rock?!!

Jesus, I should have stayed away from this thread.
It's like the annual thread asking why Wal-Mart doesn't sponsor our sports program.

Now now Mr Ashley...my reference was more to the fact and it is a fact that LR n NLR have become much more like one city with two governments. When I was growing up folks from LR would not think of coming to NLR for anything. That just isn't the case anymore.

HogFanatic

Quote from: twistitup on July 22, 2014, 09:14:54 pm

No, it wouldn't.

Sweet Feet

Quote from: twistitup on July 22, 2014, 09:14:54 pm

THANK YOU

ricepig

Quote from: Sweet Feet on July 22, 2014, 09:12:43 pm
they got 22.4 million from jack stephens before he passed and a private donation to build the soccer/track complex.
Its very possible

Not probable, though. Just how many people have been donating to start a football team?

twistitup

Quote from: Ashley Schaeffer on July 22, 2014, 09:06:53 pm
OK.

Conf USA? No need for another SEC team

Sweet Feet

Quote from: ScottFaldon on July 22, 2014, 09:16:59 pm
Like how UAB having a DI football program caused the Crimson Tide to leave the SEC?
or how utep joining the university of texas system in 1967 prevented texas from winning national titles the next few years and beating arkansas?

HogFanatic

Quote from: ScottFaldon on July 22, 2014, 09:16:59 pm
Like how UAB having a DI football program caused the Crimson Tide to leave the SEC?

Birmingham, Tuscaloosa...

Little Rock?

Nah, not quite, man. Alabama is much larger than Arkansas. Still not enough to support a pro team, but still much, much larger.

If Arkansas could support these sort of numbers, I wouldn't see the Natural's stadium empty every single time I go. They're milking the tax payers just to keep a semi-pro team.

Look, I don't expect to convince any of you guys, but people who are in charge of this sort of thing obviously agree it isn't a wise move.
This entire thread is an excercise in futility.
As I said, I should have stayed away.

When is Wal-Mart gonna give us some of those Billions for some snazzy uniforms anyways?

twistitup

Quote from: Sweet Feet on July 22, 2014, 09:23:42 pm
or how utep joining the university of texas system in 1967 prevented texas from winning national titles the next few years and beating arkansas?

Nm

ricepig

Quote from: Sweet Feet on July 22, 2014, 09:23:42 pm

So, Texas and Arkansas have the same demographics?

ricepig

It's pretty simple, there isn't a football team at UALR because there is any interest in one.

Sweet Feet

chitwnhog

Quote from: Ashley Schaeffer on July 22, 2014, 09:24:05 pm
Birmingham, Tuscaloosa...

Little Rock?

Nah, not quite, man. Alabama is much larger than Arkansas. Still not enough to support a pro team, but still much, much larger.

If Arkansas could support these sort of numbers, I wouldn't see the Natural's stadium empty every single time I go. They're milking the tax payers just to keep a semi-pro team.

Look, I don't expect to convince any of you guys, but people who are in charge of this sort of thing obviously agree it isn't a wise move.
This entire thread is an excercise in futility.
As I said, I should have stayed away.

When is Wal-Mart gonna give us some of those Billions for some snazzy uniforms anyways?

The reality is that the reason Arkansas has been as successful a program as it has been is because Frank Broyles had a vision of a whole state solid behind one program. Broyles worked hard to ensure this and guess what? It worked. I hope that this support will continue however considering the divide that has formed in this state I honestly doubt it will.

twistitup

Quote from: Ashley Schaeffer on July 22, 2014, 09:01:24 pm
Hmm...

Get my drift?

ETA: On second thought, you probably don't.

Let me spell it out.
They
All
Suck

BAD

Our flagship is sucking at the moment....if I'm not mistaken

Sweet Feet

Quote from: ricepig on July 22, 2014, 09:27:26 pm
It's pretty simple, there isn't a football team at UALR because there is any interest in one.
interest by the UA maybe since they want fayetteville to have the monopoly and attention. Majority of people here in LR wouldn mind ualr having a football team because its the only big college in the city and the city sadly doesn have a college football team, even being the biggest, most talent ridden part of the state, yet pine bluff, monticello, and magnolia do. But the reason why they feel neutral about it is because the understanding that the UA wont let them since they feel its a threat to the razorbacks, being that they get most of their key instate players from the central ark area where ualr is and rarely anybody from NWA

twistitup

I could picture UALR being a SMU style program. Small program, entertaining, fun and easy on a Sat. for LR area folks that don't want to make the Fville trek.

Sweet Feet

Quote from: DawgTownHog on July 22, 2014, 09:33:04 pm
The reality is that the reason Arkansas has been as successful a program as it has been is because Frank Broyles had a vision of a whole state solid behind one program. Broyles worked hard to ensure this and guess what? It worked. I hope that this support will continue however considering the divide that has formed in this state I honestly doubt it will.
Worked? Arkansas is somewhat mediocre with a terrible bowl record among major programs. They havent won an SEC title yet and have about 5 bowl wins in the past 30 years. Everyone who has done as much, if not better than arkansas all have instate teams they play every year. It wasn the idea of Broyles insecure thinking to avoid instate competition, because if arkansas was established as they were, they wouldn have to worry about a mid major or D2 team stealing the spotlight. It was because they were in a conference where texas was the only competition

Sweet Feet

Quote from: twistitup on July 22, 2014, 09:51:40 pm
I could picture UALR being a SMU style program. Small program, entertaining, fun and easy on a Sat. for LR area folks that don't want to make the Fville trek.
Quite personally, i dont even care if they are uab caliber. I just want ualr to have a football team

chitwnhog

Quote from: Sweet Feet on July 22, 2014, 09:56:16 pm
Worked? Arkansas is somewhat mediocre with a terrible bowl record among major programs. They havent won an SEC title yet and have about 5 bowl wins in the past 30 years. Everyone who has done as much, if not better than arkansas all have instate teams they play every year. It wasn the idea of Broyles insecure thinking to avoid instate competition, because if arkansas was established as they were, they wouldn have to worry about a mid major or D2 team stealing the spotlight. It was because they were in a conference where texas was the only competition

Yeah...ok.

chitwnhog

Quote from: twistitup on July 22, 2014, 09:51:40 pm

UCA is very quickly filling that void and will continue to do so(If Campbell is anywhere near as good as his resume states) UALR doesn't need a football team and central Arkansas will not support such an enterprise.

twistitup

Quote from: Sweet Feet on July 22, 2014, 09:58:16 pm
Quite personally, i dont even care if they are uab caliber. I just want ualr to have a football team

I agree

twistitup

Quote from: DawgTownHog on July 22, 2014, 10:06:46 pm
UCA is very quickly filling that void and will continue to do so(If Campbell is anywhere near as good as his resume states) UALR doesn't need a football team and central Arkansas will not support such an enterprise.

UCA is not in LR last I checked

chitwnhog

Quote from: twistitup on July 22, 2014, 10:11:31 pm
UCA is not in LR last I checked

Really? Wow ya got me there. My point is still valid. There will never be a Football Program at UALR and UCA while "not in LR" is in a position to sate football junkies who wish to watch a game in person without trekking to Fayetteville.

twistitup

Quote from: DawgTownHog on July 22, 2014, 10:15:07 pm
Really? Wow ya got me there. My point is still valid. There will never be a Football Program at UALR and UCA while "not in LR" is in a position to sate football junkies who wish to watch a game in person without trekking to Fayetteville.

UALR would offer options to those wanting to stay in LR

chitwnhog

Quote from: twistitup on July 22, 2014, 10:22:03 pm
UALR would offer options to those wanting to stay in LR

I understand that however again UALR is not going to field a football team and considering that reality UCA is your best bet.

Sweet Feet

Quote from: DawgTownHog on July 22, 2014, 10:15:07 pm
Now i dont agree with ualr never having a football team just because uca does, because utsa still formed one even with Incarnate Word having one closeby already. However you are somewhat right about uca. They may be in the fbs in the next decade honestly. The way they have been playing some of these fbs schools has been scary.

chitwnhog

Quote from: Sweet Feet on July 22, 2014, 10:26:29 pm

Now i dont agree with ualr never having a football team just because uca does, because utsa still formed one even with Incarnate Word having one closeby already. However you are somewhat right about uca. They may be in the fbs in the next decade honestly. The way they have been playing some of these fbs schools has been scary.

First off I never said that UALR would never have a program because of UCA. UALR will never have a program because the UofA board (which governs UALR) will never allow it.  Second I just don't see a ground swell of support in LR for a program to be built, there is still just too much support for the UofA.

Ramtough

Quote from: ricepig on July 22, 2014, 09:27:26 pm
We have a team in ASU that has been maybe the best team in the state for the last 3 years so why couldn't UALR have that same success over time? I was just saying the Hogs are not going to play in LR anymore so would it be possible to have another successful D1 program in football?  Not to take the place of the Hogs but add entertainment value back to central Arkansas.

chitwnhog

Quote from: Ramtough on July 22, 2014, 10:36:00 pm
We have a team in ASU that has been maybe the best team in the state for the last 3 years so why couldn't UALR have that same success over time? I was just saying the Hogs are not going to play in LR anymore so would it be possible to have another successful D1 program in football?  Not to take the place of the Hogs but add entertainment value back to central Arkansas.

That in and of itself would take dollars away from the UofA. I honestly don't think many on this board wants that.

Ramtough

I'm not sure how bad a good ASU team hurts a weak U of A team but I guess a good UALR team could possibly have an impact on people not making the long drive to NW Arkansas to see a team having problems finding a win.

Sweet Feet

Quote from: DawgTownHog on July 22, 2014, 10:42:27 pm
That in and of itself would take dollars away from the UofA. I honestly don't think many on this board wants that.
How much money has tulsa taken away from OU? Ucf and usf from fla and fsu? Memphis from tennessee? Uab from bama?  So Miss from ole miss? Marshall from WVU? I think the concern of a smaller yet successful program within state borders is really more of an overrated and irrational arkansan fad. No matter how good they would do along with asu or uca, UA is still established enough to flourish and be the states team, but too many fans dont believe that or have that confidence in their program.