Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Where have all the fullbacks gone?

Started by Josh Goforth, July 21, 2014, 08:53:56 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Josh Goforth

"In college football it has been noted by many that the fullback position has been declining in use the last decade. Some believe that there is a leveling off pattern with the emergence of run heavy spread offenses, others are finding it easier to use a versatile tight end and let him do the blocking and pass-catching from an H-back position ala Auburn, Oregon, and many other spread offenses. Here I will take a look at just how many fullbacks are on college rosters going in to the 2014 season. Also I will take a look at what the Razorbacks will do to replace Kiero Small at the position."

http://www.arkansasfight.com/2014/7/21/5914225/the-extinction-of-the-fullback-in-college-football-and-the-2014

Patrick Arinze

Tyler Colquitt

The_Iceman

Pork Twain

"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Hawg_Thai'd

Nice article. Well done. Although the fullbacks seem to be disappearing, is it just a cycle? Will playcalling swing back around in a few years to more smash mouth? Who knows. I think it will.
I'm a helluva guy. One of the best, in fact.

Josh Goforth

That's pretty much my opinion, as HS teams move away from a 2 back lead blocking run game players with that skill set will be tougher to find. The prospect of moving running backs to that position who are not quite #1 caliber can be done by the LSU's, Georgia's and Florida's but not sure that is a viable option for most. Spurrier is hoarding all he can find possibly just to keep them away from the other teams.

secneahog

You would think Arinze or Walker would get the nod at fb.

Colquitt is a stud. Chris Jones has gone quiet.

Will be a awesome position to watch in fall practice.
Remix MMA.  Alan "the talent" Belcher - Born_Imboden Arkansas- Next 185 UFC Champ!

The Hogfather

Quote from: Hawg_Thai'd on July 21, 2014, 09:46:26 am
Nice article. Well done. Although the fullbacks seem to be disappearing, is it just a cycle? Will playcalling swing back around in a few years to more smash mouth? Who knows. I think it will.

Eventually.  In the interim, I hope we get to a point where we can dominate these pansy, flag futbol teams.

I really do think it will be a really good thing for us if we just keep with the smashmouth offense/mentality, as more and more teams move to the spread/HUNH offenses.  When we get to the point where Bielema wants to be (it shouldn't be too much longer), we'll be like Kryptonite to those teams (like Stanford has been to Oregon).

The Hogfather

Quote from: secneahog on July 21, 2014, 12:22:20 pm
You would think Arinze or Walker would get the nod at fb.

Colquitt is a stud. Chris Jones has gone quiet.

Will be a awesome position to watch in fall practice.

Really hope it is Walker.  If he is a good enough blocker, he could be a big weapon for us offensively.

secneahog

Quote from: The Hogfather on July 21, 2014, 12:25:26 pm
Eventually.  In the interim, I hope we get to a point where we can dominate these pansy, flag futbol teams.

I really do think it will be a really good thing for us if we just keep with the smashmouth offense/mentality, as more and more teams move to the spread/HUNH offenses.  When we get to the point where Bielema wants to be (it shouldn't be too much longer), we'll be like Kryptonite to those teams (like Stanford has been to Oregon).

Yep.

Another note is HUNH teams will try and mimic us on scout team to prep against us.
But it will be difficult for them to mimic us because their recruits are built for hunh offense.

You expect their scat back rb to line up at fb and his their 1st team linebacker in the mouth? No way.
Remix MMA.  Alan "the talent" Belcher - Born_Imboden Arkansas- Next 185 UFC Champ!

Wildhog

Yes, we have three scholarship FB's........
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

secneahog

Quote from: The Hogfather on July 21, 2014, 12:26:41 pm
Really hope it is Walker.  If he is a good enough blocker, he could be a big weapon for us offensively.

I know Walker has the dual threat capabilities in rushing and catching the ball. Something Small was very good at. Walker is going to have to light up some linebackers.

Something Colquitt is good at. Might see a fb rotation??

The Hogfather

Quote from: secneahog on July 21, 2014, 12:29:24 pm
Yep.

Another note is HUNH teams will try and mimic us on scout team to prep against us.
But it will be difficult for them to mimic us because their recruits are built for hunh offense.

You expect their scat back rb to line up at fb and his their 1st team linebacker in the mouth? No way.

Exactly.  They'll think they are being physical....until our offense hits them in the mouth on gameday.

secneahog

Quote from: The Hogfather on July 21, 2014, 12:32:09 pm
Exactly.  They'll think they are being physical....until our offense hits them in the mouth on gameday.

I have a buddy who is a Hs coach that runs the hunh. He said that is his teams worse attribute. When they play physical smash mouth offenses they struggle.

Reason why Auburn said we was the most physical team they played last year.

WorfHog

Quote from: secneahog on July 21, 2014, 12:36:11 pm
I have a buddy who is a Hs coach that runs the hunh. He said that is his teams worse attribute. When they play physical smash mouth offenses they struggle.

Reason why Auburn said we was the most physical team they played last year.

That's a hell of a quote when you consider who they actually played.

MissippHog

I guess from an optimistic point of view......it should be easier for us to land top notch fullbacks since so many teams are going away from using them. 

Hogwild

razorback44

Quote from: Hogwild on July 21, 2014, 07:17:08 pm
This is 247 & Rivals #1 FB in the country for the 2015 class

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/457201/highlights/105879387

He's committed to LSU who does use a FB consistently.
"No force and no man can abolish memory"  FDR

(notOM)Rebel123

"Fullbacks"...? Is that anything like The Kinks "Where have all the Good times gone"?

http://youtu.be/0v34aT2jQb0
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.