Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

"Woods say Watson should pick him for the Ryder Cup". Is he serious?

Started by KCRazorbackfan, July 21, 2014, 08:39:37 am

Previous topic - Next topic

KCRazorbackfan

Coming off the worst finish in a major and only beat three other people and he wants to take a more qualified (and hungrier) players spot?  Give us a freaking break.

Retire Tiger; you don't have "It" anymore.
Life took me to Central Florida, but I'll always be a Razorback.

Hawgndaaz

yeah he should retire for sure. he only won 5 times last year...

CallThemHawgs!

Hawgndaaz

Hawg414

Quote from: Hawgndaaz on July 21, 2014, 09:03:18 am
yeah he should retire for sure. he only won 5 times last year...

Quote from: John Quincy Poodle on July 21, 2014, 09:10:15 am
Last year.

let this exchange serve as a testament to just how good he really is.  he has set a standard which only applies to himself.  suddenly 5 wins last year, but none this year after a back surgery, relegates him to needs-to-retire status.

bubba watson, ricky fowler, dustin johnson and sergio garcia COMBINED dont have 5 PGA tour wins in the last TWO years.

userpick

Where did you see he said he should be picked? I saw where he was hopeful he plays well enough to make the team. Not saying it isn't true, just want to know where you read that.

cosmodrum

Go away, batin'

Hawgndaaz

Quote from: Hawg414 on July 21, 2014, 10:14:32 am
let this exchange serve as a testament to just how good he really is.  he has set a standard which only applies to himself.  suddenly 5 wins last year, but none this year after a back surgery, relegates him to needs-to-retire status.

bubba watson, ricky fowler, dustin johnson and sergio garcia COMBINED dont have 5 PGA tour wins in the last TWO years.

the return argument is that none of them were majors, which is all he cares about.

KCRazorbackfan

Quote from: userpick on July 21, 2014, 11:05:07 am
Where did you see he said he should be picked? I saw where he was hopeful he plays well enough to make the team. Not saying it isn't true, just want to know where you read that.

On Yahoo this am.
Life took me to Central Florida, but I'll always be a Razorback.

GolfNut57

Quote from: userpick on July 21, 2014, 11:05:07 am

Woods was quoted after his final round yesterday saying if it was up to him he would pick himself to play in it. He's hoping Watson agrees.
"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented." Arnold Palmer.

gotyacovered

You are what you tolerate.

CallThemHawgs!

Quote from: Hawg414 on July 21, 2014, 10:14:32 am

I should have said "Pre surgery/time off/whatever the hell else is wrong with him"

CallThemHawgs!

There is no way you can put him on the team RIGHT NOW.

Last year, yeah, obviously...

pigture perfect

With his medical issues, I don't think he wins 2/3's of the tournements he has if he played a full schedule. He was great, but he needs to start getting ready for the senior tour in a few years.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

clutch

Quote from: John Quincy Poodle on July 21, 2014, 09:43:13 pm
There is no way you can put him on the team RIGHT NOW.

Last year, yeah, obviously...

That's the thing though, they don't have to put him on the team RIGHT NOW. He's only played 6 competitive rounds since his surgery. Can't really expect much out of him right at this minute. Could be a different story by the time the selections are made. Maybe not though.

root_hawg

He probably is going to only get 3 more tourneys before the picks are made because he probably isn't going to make the playoffs.

Iwastherein1969

if Watson does pick Tiger, all the Euro's will do is "Tiger proof" the golf course by placing bunkers around the 270 mark to the 285 mark....this will force Woods to lay back with an iron (which he has become accustomed) and hit his approach shot with a 4 iron or more leaving himself with long birdie putts....Tiger's swing, which no longer reaches parallel, doesn't have nearly the carry it once had and if he is to carry the bunkers like most of the younger players, he will start spraying his driver as he did in the recent British Open...it really is sad to see (no sarcasm either) and quite ironic, that how Tiger used to blow the old out of shape white men off the course by hitting it a mile making par 5's obsolete has turned into his achilles heel...you could see the look of consternation on his face at Hoy Lake, the fairways weren't dry and his irons couldn't get him close enough for his approaches to be competitive...father time doesn't stop for anyone, not even Tiger Woods
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

root_hawg

Rzbakfromwaybak

Don't believe he is playing well enough to be on the Ryder team right now.  He is recovering from surgery, & just hasn't played very much golf this year.  If he was healthy, it would probably be a different story.  There are just too many other player's that are currently playing better than he is.
Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.

gotyacovered

just to clarify what some of you are saying.

me, you, stricker and tiger are standing on the first tee, $100 nassau... you get to pick first--you are taking stricker?

Hawgndaaz

Quote from: gotyacovered on July 22, 2014, 08:15:31 am

me, you, stricker and tiger are standing on the first tee, $100 nassau... you get to pick first--you are taking stricker?

all the old white guys are

gotyacovered

Quote from: Hawgndaaz on July 22, 2014, 08:45:43 am
all the old white guys are

everybody has their price, even old white guys... up the bet. ;D

i am not a huge tiger fan. i think he has 2 more majors in him, max. but guess what...? there are only two guys out there when playing good that nobody can beat... and he is one of them. he can beat 50% of the people in the top 150 when playing bad.

stricker is an awesome dude, he is not as good as tiger, nuff said. put him on the Ryder Cup team and bring it back.

root_hawg

gotyacovered

root_hawg

gotyacovered

Quote from: root_hawg on July 22, 2014, 02:32:51 pm
Watson beat him like by 7 strokes this weekend.

How many other Ryder cup players did he beat by 7 (or more)???

The dude just had back surgery and that was his second tourney back, what did you expect?

alwaysondbigscreen

I honestly dont know the answer, but i seem to remember that his rider cup record hasnt been  all that stellar, is that correct?
some say he's a cia experiment gone wrong

gotyacovered

Quote from: alwaysondbigscreen on July 22, 2014, 03:18:13 pm
I honestly dont know the answer, but i seem to remember that his rider cup record hasnt been  all that stellar, is that correct?

if you call losing with one of the biggest leads ever, 'not that stellar,' then yes.

i am ready for some of these 'older dudes' to let these younger aggressive fellas play. the only one i can think of right now is stricker, but i think there are one or two more.

root_hawg

Of guys that will be on the ryder cup; Bubba and can't think of any others

GolfNut57

The Tiger Woods of yesteryear is gone, never to return leaving a shell of his former self. And jmo but no player should be selected to the Ryder Cup for what he has done in the past. It is all about who the best players are RIGHT NOW for the USA team. I am tired of watching the Europeans kick our butts for that cup. And they have done it plenty, even when Woods was on the team. Time to let the fresh meat play.
"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented." Arnold Palmer.

gotyacovered

as of current standings post british open that watson beat (for team usa):
bubba
matt kuchar
duffner tied him
that doesnt count the ones that missed the cut (if there were any) or the ones on the borderline of ryder cup points

players he beat for EU
jason day
luke donald
martin kaymer
(not counting the player who missed the cut) or the ones on the borderline of ryder cup points

logic fail.

gotyacovered

Quote from: GolfNut57 on July 22, 2014, 04:00:51 pm
The Tiger Woods of yesteryear is gone, never to return leaving a shell of his former self. And jmo but no player should be selected to the Ryder Cup for what he has done in the past. It is all about who the best players are RIGHT NOW for the USA team. I am tired of watching the Europeans kick our butts for that cup. And they have done it plenty, even when Woods was on the team. Time to let the fresh meat play.

werd.

and i stand by my original premise... tiger>stricker.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: gotyacovered on July 22, 2014, 04:07:56 pm
as of current standings post british open that watson beat (for team usa):
bubba
matt kuchar
duffner tied him
that doesnt count the ones that missed the cut (if there were any) or the ones on the borderline of ryder cup points

players he beat for EU
jason day
luke donald
martin kaymer
(not counting the player who missed the cut) or the ones on the borderline of ryder cup points

logic fail.

He's an Aussie, dude.  Don't think the Euros would let him play on their team.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: alwaysondbigscreen on July 22, 2014, 03:18:13 pm
I addressed this earlier....only Mickelson has more losses in the Ryder Cup format of play (18 losses) than Tiger and Jim Furyk (both with 17 losses)...the Euro's have ZERO fear of Woods whether he's playing well and 25 years old or is coming off back surgery and can't get the club to parallel at age 38....what's that ESPN show NNL (Numbers Never Lie), Tiger has never excelled as you would expect the second greatest player to ever swing the club to excell in a team format
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

al2305

Quote from: gotyacovered on July 22, 2014, 08:15:31 am

Great comment.

It sounds like Tiger is healthy. He's still in his 30s.  He's arguably the greatest player to ever play the game....EVER!!!!!! Not just over that last 10,25, or even 100yrs...he is at least top 2 all time. He's got a couple more months to play and practice his way back into shape. It's pretty obvious u pick that guy.

roundball

Tiger not getting picked maybe what he needs. Tiger has one more chance to bring the excitement and dominance we saw from him for so many years. We may or may not see it. It will be worth watching him try though.

root_hawg

It would be difficult to not pick the 2nd best player of all time but there is a risk that since he probably won't make the playoffs..how much tourney time he gets...would he go overseas to get competitive rounds...doubt it ego would not let him

Pulled(PP)pork

because Im lazy and don't want to research it, how is Tiger's record with the Presidents Cup?

PP

Pulled(PP)pork

root_hawg

Pulled(PP)pork

dare I say he takes the PC more seriously or is it the level of competition?

PP

EastexHawg

Nicklaus played his last Ryder Cup at age 41 in 1981. Tiger will be 39 this year.  No one plays Ryder Cup forever...and Nickaus was 17-8 for his career while Tiger is something like 13-17.

gotyacovered

what is strickers RC record? what about all the other US players?

Pulled(PP)pork

well, it appears that Tiger has had more RC appearances than Jack.....now who's the greatest???

PP

EastexHawg

Quote from: Pulled(PP)pork on July 29, 2014, 08:34:44 am
well, it appears that Tiger has had more RC appearances than Jack.....now who's the greatest???

PP

Ryder Cup selection was different in those days.  There was a rule that you had to be a PGA Tour member for five years before you were eligible.  Nicklaus won two majors each in 1963 and 1966 but didn't play in the next Ryder Cups matches after those years.  In fact, he had won the career grand slam and had seven majors...among his 30 Tour wins...by the time he made his first appearance in 1969.

In the 1963 matches you had the 1962 U.S. Open champ and reigning Masters and PGA champ sitting at home during the competition.  In 1967 he had won three majors in the preceding two years...with six top threes in eight majors...when he sat out the matches.  Seems unbelievable now.

Jack wasn't chosen for the 1979 U.S. team despite the fact that he had won four times in 1978, including the British Open.  He had a total of six top tens in the eight majors played from 1978-79...not to mention that by that time he had 15 majors and had long been considered the greatest of all time.  Back then Ryder Cup team selection wasn't considered a career achievement award.

Pulled(PP)pork

Quote from: EastexHawg on July 29, 2014, 09:05:22 am
Ryder Cup selection was different in those days.  There was a rule that you had to be a PGA Tour member for five years before you were eligible.  Nicklaus won two majors each in 1963 and 1966 but didn't play in the next Ryder Cups matches after those years.  In fact, he had won the career grand slam and had seven majors...among his 30 Tour wins...by the time he made his first appearance in 1969.

In the 1963 matches you had the 1962 U.S. Open champ and reigning Masters and PGA champ sitting at home during the competition.  In 1967 he had won three majors in the preceding two years...with six top threes in eight majors...when he sat out the matches.  Seems unbelievable now.

Jack wasn't chosen for the 1979 U.S. team despite the fact that he had won four times in 1978, including the British Open.  He had a total of six top tens in the eight majors played from 1978-79...not to mention that by that time he had 15 majors and had long been considered the greatest of all time.  Back then Ryder Cup team selection wasn't considered a career achievement award.
don't rain on my parade, lol

PP

GolfNut57

EastexHawg

Quote from: GolfNut57 on July 29, 2014, 10:13:00 am
Rain on it? He just blew it away with a hurricane.  :)

I doubt many people know about the way Ryder Cup teams used to be picked, especially the five year PGA membership thing.  I remember years ago seeing that Nicklaus didn't play until after his 8th year on tour and knew there had to be some reason for it.  He won the U.S. Open over Arnold as a rookie and had three majors a year and a half into his pro career.  You don't pick Johnny Pott for the U.S. team and leave the guy who has won three of the last six majors at home unless you have to.

Jackrabbit Hog

These next two tournaments will seal the deal.  If Tiger doesn't contend (i.e., a top 5) at Firestone or Valhalla, he can't contend anywhere. 

Corollary question:  If Tiger isn't picked for the team, will the Ryder Cup TV ratings go down like all the majors ratings have this year?  Or has the Ryder Cup achieved the sort of stand-alone status that it will still get great ratings even without him?
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.