Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The Latest Razorback Recruiting Report (7-20-14)

Started by Aaron Peters, July 20, 2014, 06:11:37 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Aaron Peters

Richard Davenport of the Arkansas Democrat Gazette joins our Aaron Peters for the latest in Razorback football recruiting. Athletes featured this week: Reggie Gallaspy (3-star RB, Greensboro, NC), Karan Higdon (3-star RB, Sarasota, FL), Montrell Wilson (2-star DB, Keller, TX), Rawleigh Williams (3-star RB, Dallas, TX) and Jordan Jones (3-star WR, Youngstown, Ohio).

http://www.nwahomepage.com/fulltextsports/d/story/razorback-recruiting-report-7-20-14/21778/0705DPazCUu3Rj7n40CBZQ

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: The Big Easy on July 20, 2014, 06:51:21 pm
Hey, I remember reading a couple months ago Arkansas was having a "top 10'" class for 2015. I see now ranked in the 30's. what happened with that?

Have very few commits and it's what Arkansas has always done.  Until someone actually does it we have always been a mid 20s to mid 30s recruiting team. 
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

870hogfan

Hey, I remember reading a couple months ago Arkansas was having a "top 10'" class for 2015. I see now ranked in the 30's. what happened with that?

It will get better when Arkansas gets more commitments. But keep trolling....

ricepig

Is recruiting season over?

jabohog

I love kids like DMac, BiJhon, and Jordan Jones and a lot of others. They are Razorbacks born and bred.

Al Boarland

Quote from: Aaron Peters on July 20, 2014, 06:11:37 pm
Richard Davenport of the Arkansas Democrat Gazette joins our Aaron Peters for the latest in Razorback football recruiting. Athletes featured this week: Reggie Gallaspy (3-star RB, Greensboro, NC), Karan Higdon (3-star RB, Sarasota, FL), Montrell Wilson (2-star DB, Keller, TX), Rawleigh Williams (3-star RB, Dallas, TX) and Jordan Jones (3-star WR, Youngstown, Ohio).

http://www.nwahomepage.com/fulltextsports/d/story/razorback-recruiting-report-7-20-14/21778/0705DPazCUu3Rj7n40CBZQ

Not even one 4-star?

ricepig

Jamie Jones

You have a knack for trying to derail EVERY thread. You don't really bash, but you antagonize others into it and cause the thread to turn to garbage.
I'm a Hog fan. I never chant S-E-C! I hate all the other members.

hoghiker

In whose world were we having a top ten class? 8-2-14. May you rest in peace. Or just go some place else. If there is a needs to go list, I bet you're on it. I'm hopin' anyway.

Al Boarland

jabohog

GlassofSwine

Obviously, you have no idea how they determine recruiting rankings. If all things remained the same for average player rating and all the classes were filled out Arkansas would be 15th/16th in the nation. Not bad at all considering we have won 7 games in 2 years. Your going to be hard pressed to find many teams that have played as poorly as we have that have a shot at a Top 20 class.

Phil D

Didn't take long for Auburn Al and his buddy to come in trolling. :puke:
GO HOGS!!!!!!

tophawg19

We have some big time recruits waiting to see how this year plays out also
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

JIHawg

JIHawg

If enough posters report this troll to moderators maybe he'll be bounced.

Jamie Jones

Mods should read more and come to their own conclusions. I'm not the smartest person even sitting on my couch but I can see when the trolling starts.

Al Boarland

Gentlemen, the ratings very early on meant nothing and the ratings now mean nothing.  The ratings after the class is signed will mean something and based on history, we'll be somewhere around 25 to 35.  This staff seems to be able to find a few needy spots and shore them up where other staffs haven't in the past 30 years.  If they can continue to shore up the weaker spots, we will get better with those 25 to 35 rated classes.  If this staff doesn't get better on game day with game management, any advantage they provide by shoring up the weak spots will be taken away by poor game management.

In the meantime, folks cutting down the fact that the ranks have dropped and folks making up stories about how great the class will be based on some imagined great thing that is about to happen based on if and when is all much BS about nothing.

Squealers

ESTEEMED HOGVILLE MEMBER # 5524,   Flying the Hog Flag from Crescent Beach in Connecticut!  
Remember...Freedom is NEVER Free. Proud US Air Force  Veteran -- Strategic Air Command/Air Force Communications Command, Giant Talk/Combat Crew Communications Air Traffic Controller.

870hogfan

Quote from: The Big Easy on July 20, 2014, 08:24:52 pm
Seems you like to complain when you disagree. Just an observation

Nah you and Al just like to troll.

Al Boarland

Quote from: 870hogfan on July 20, 2014, 08:43:21 pm

Nah you and Al just like to troll.

It just seems like what is considered a troll is anything that is critical or perceived to be critical.  There are a bunch sunshine pumping piranhas that attack anyone that may not have the same opinion they have.  It's fine, I have a thick skin. but it gets old.  We all want success on the field.

ricepig

Quote from: Al Boarland on July 20, 2014, 08:47:33 pm
It just seems like what is considered a troll is anything that is critical or perceived to be critical.  There are a bunch sunshine pumping piranhas that attack anyone that may not have the same opinion they have.  It's fine, I have a thick skin. but it gets old.  We all want success on the field.

So, do you consider yourself knowledgeable about recruiting?

1highhog

Shhhh, there's a troll amongst us.

HogFanatic

The comforting thing about this staff is that in the short amount of time that they've been here, they have shown an ability to finish the recruiting season pretty strong. With this class they got off to a good start, hit a lull like most could have anticipated would happen this time of year, and with a little luck will finish strongly like they have the last two go arounds. If that happens we still could be looking at one of the finest classes Arkansas has ever signed.

And don't forget guys (Al and the other guy) Arkansas DID sign it's best class ever last season.

ricepig

Quote from: Ashley Schaeffer on July 20, 2014, 08:59:54 pm
The comforting thing about this staff is that in the short amount of time that they've been here, they have shown an ability to finish the recruiting season pretty strong. With this class they got off to a good start, hit a lull like most could have anticipated would happen this time of year, and with a little luck will finish strongly like they have the last two go arounds. If that happens we still could be looking at one of the finest classes Arkansas has ever signed.

And don't forget guys (Al and the other guy) Arkansas DID sign it's best class ever last season.

I don't think we signed our highest rated class ever, better is to be determined.

Bubba's Bruisers

I've never considered you a troll.  In fact, it's a way over used term around here IMO...I loath the word.  It's become a "run home to momma" term for so many.  I even agree with you more than not. 

However, and you already know this, but you get put in this troll that category, because I'm not aware of you ever posting much of anything that isn't critical of or antagonistic toward the program.  It destroys your credibility...not that you probably are concerned about that.  And yes, there are just as many blind, sunshine pumpers with zero credibility as well.  I'd say many more of them, actually.

I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

Bubba's Bruisers

I think they will ultimately, like their predecessors, be judged on their ability to upgrade the defensive talent.  So far, I think they are showing lots off promise with offensive talent.  Already getting some more defensive line talent in this class too.  Now let's steal a few SEC caliber LB's and S's this year.

Ultimately, I think BB will be just fine.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

HogFanatic

Quote from: ricepig on July 20, 2014, 09:01:43 pm
I don't think we signed our highest rated class ever, better is to be determined.

It wasn't the highest ranked, but the highest RATED, top to bottom.
Zero two star or below players.

Al Boarland

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on July 20, 2014, 09:01:55 pm
I've never considered you a troll.  In fact, it's a way over used term around here IMO...I loath the word.  It's become a "run home to momma" term for so many.  I even agree with you more than not. 

However, and you already know this, but you get put in this troll that category, because I'm not aware of you ever posting much of anything that isn't critical of or antagonistic toward the program.  It destroys your credibility...not that you probably are concerned about that.  And yes, there are just as many blind, sunshine pumpers with zero credibility as well.  I'd say many more of them, actually.

That's fair.  There's just not a lot of positive stuff out there right now.  When we show some promise on the field I'll be first in line to give credit where credit is due, but I'm not going to put lipstick on a pig.  We did improve last season, but we have a long way to go.  Maybe I'm just impatient.  I know that's not a good thing when we are slowly rebuilding the program.  I'll try to make a cognizant effort to choose my words more carefully.  I thought this was a place where we could speak our mind.  The bullies around here don't make that a possibility.

1highhog

You want success, but not for the Razorbacks.  You seem to want them to fail, you never have anything good to say.

Al Boarland

Quote from: ricepig on July 20, 2014, 08:54:23 pm
So, do you consider yourself knowledgeable about recruiting?

I keep up with it as much as the next guy.  Our competition has been pulling in studs over the past few weeks and that's no different than usual, but I'm not seeing the Hogs even mentioned as one of their other top teams.  I don't expect us to win every recruiting battle, but it would be nice to be in the conversation.  This season will go a long way into shaping the perception of the program.  I'm just ready for it to get started.

Al Boarland

Quote from: 1highhog on July 20, 2014, 09:08:35 pm
You want success, but not for the Razorbacks.  You seem to want them to fail, you never have anything good to say.

Nothing could be further from the truth.  I want success, but if I'm not seeing it I'm going to have questions and comments.  If you don't that's fine.  We are different people.

Jamie Jones

Quote from: The Big Easy on July 20, 2014, 08:24:52 pm
Seems you like to complain when you disagree. Just an observation
Not so much.  There are several people who have differing opinions than mine, on here, but they are not antagonists. For instance, had you bothered to follow the recruiting forum, where this thread should end up, you'd know that that we have about 15 commitments left to fill and that our per player average, as of now, would put us in the 15-16 spot. Instead, you saw an opening to question the players listed on a daily report and took a back handed shot at the players and coaching staff that are evaluating those players. Like I said, if I can spot your intentions, Mods should spot it pretty easy.

GlassofSwine

Quote from: The Big Easy on July 20, 2014, 07:55:52 pm
It seems you want to say things are great when they were top 10, but now making an excuse? Nothing matters in recruiting until late Jan when they are signed. These rankings make little to no difference in July

You are going to have to find any quote of mine bragging about them being ranked in the TOP 10. I think at this point we end up 15th to 20th and I also believe that is exceptional considering how bad the last 2 years have been. Do you disagree that recruiting a class ranked around 20th is a bad showing considering how poorly we have played the last 2 years?

870hogfan

Exactly he wants them to fail so he can come back and say I told you so....

ricepig

Quote from: Al Boarland on July 20, 2014, 09:12:18 pm
I keep up with it as much as the next guy.  Our competition has been pulling in studs over the past few weeks and that's no different than usual, but I'm not seeing the Hogs even mentioned as one of their other top teams.  I don't expect us to win every recruiting battle, but it would be nice to be in the conversation.  This season will go a long way into shaping the perception of the program.  I'm just ready for it to get started.

They've all had their big recruiting weekend/day or most have. We'll have one this Friday and will pick up some commits in the week after it. As you mentioned earlier, you may need to develop a little more patience. We aren't going to have 20+ commits before the season, never have. I think we'll get 2-4 more before the season, but will need the official visits to get some kids from further distances here.

SPAL

The problem here was that Al made a choice. He could have simply not responded to this thread and allowed the folks who wish to discuss the topic yo do just that. Or he could have given a response that was well thought out yet wasn't popular. But He Chose Option c....Take a shot at The Program By making a snide comment.

This is what will get threads removed and accounts deleted. People don't come here for pot shots against the program they love. Bottom line.... stop

Ironhawg

Quote from: Jamie Jones on July 20, 2014, 07:08:35 pm
You have a knack for trying to derail EVERY thread. You don't really bash, but you antagonize others into it and cause the thread to turn to garbage.

I'm hoping he is one of the first to go on 08-01-14.

BPsTheMan

He's part of Gus' Message Board Army

That reminds me... You know who has been "quiet about his time on the Hill with Nutt"?

John Thompson

...he couldn't wait to get away from Nutt, but he didn't go leaking a bunch of whiney crap to friends on message boards

HogFanatic

Here is  how it boils down (and sorry for the little off-topic rant).

There are two categories. There are the optimists, and the pessimists.
Optimists are optimists, and pessimists are pessimists. It's all well and good to be either one. Everyone leads their own life. I'm sure Al gets sick of being called a troll just as much as I don't like it when I am called a sunshine pumper. However, people calling folks like myself sunshine pumpers haven't really paid much attention to my posting history. There have been many times when I thought I would surely receive at least a temporary post ban for my inflammatory remarks on here.

The difference is that after we took a 52-7 shallacking at the hands of South Carolina, the next Monday I was already getting myself stoked for the Alabama matchup. I figured we would probably lose, but I was hoping that the Carolina game was just a bad game and that we would fix a few things and at least make some sort of competitive effort the next week. Turns out I was wrong. Big deal. Happens all the damn time. But again, the next Monday I was still looking forward to watching those Hogs storm the field again that Saturday. That will NEVER change. EVER.

Now, when asked why pessimists are so pessimistic, what is the response? "I'm trying to temper expectations so people don't jump off bridges when we lose."... Fine, but seems to me that the only expectations you are really trying to temper are your own. As an optimist, I can look past the loss and hope for a better tomorrow.

Arkansas is filling needs with recruiting right now better than I have ever seen them do since I have been following college football, which admittedly isn't a very long time, only about 18 years or so. People say it is about the Jimmy's and the Joe's, not the X's and O's. This is true. Which is also why last year's class (no 2* or below players at all), should be considered a big deal for our program. That is quality depth across the board, instead of the usual suspects of no-offer type recruits and a few skill stud players.

Oklahawg

Quote from: Jamie Jones on July 20, 2014, 08:20:28 pm
Mods should read more and come to their own conclusions. I'm not the smartest person even sitting on my couch but I can see when the trolling starts.

We are sitting back letting the enema nurses do their thing. When August 1 hits those that have grown SO accustomed to their lil' games will be easy to ID and purge.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

PygmalionEffect

Come August 1st I expect you to be the first one gone, followed by Al.

Pygmalion Effect - The phenomenon in which the greater the expectation placed upon people, the better they perform.

PygmalionEffect

Quote from: Al Boarland on July 20, 2014, 09:14:02 pm
Nothing could be further from the truth.  I want success, but if I'm not seeing it I'm going to have questions and comments.  If you don't that's fine.  We are different people.

You're a liar.  You're not a Hog fan.  You're a fan from another team thinking that you're being clever.

If I had enough time in my schedule combined with the desire to troll opposing team's websites, I'd either be a retired pathetic loser or an unemployed pathetic loser.

Which one are you?
Pygmalion Effect - The phenomenon in which the greater the expectation placed upon people, the better they perform.

Al Boarland

Quote from: PygmalionEffect on July 20, 2014, 10:12:15 pm
You're a liar.  You're not a Hog fan.  You're a fan from another team thinking that you're being clever.

If I had enough time in my schedule combined with the desire to troll opposing team's websites, I'd either be a retired pathetic loser or an unemployed pathetic loser.

Which one are you?

Looks to me like you're not leaving yourself very many options.

IntegrityHog

Oh, I'm sorry, is it National Signing Day already?

hogville38

Quote from: Al Boarland on July 20, 2014, 08:33:06 pm
+1
Nope can tell when two morons come to a site and troll. Shouldn't you be with Gus whipping is arse everytime he farts? Let's see hmmmm to new guys with a overwhelming amount of smites in a short period of time. What a couple of douchebags.

hogville38

Quote from: Al Boarland on July 20, 2014, 09:12:18 pm
Jalin Barnett? .....sigh please have the person sitting next to you punch you in your rack repeatedly.  Thx

razorback44

I'm an unabashed homer but that is just factually incorrect.
"No force and no man can abolish memory"  FDR