Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Manufactured or not, Missouri embraces rivalry with Arkansas

Started by jbcarol, July 20, 2014, 05:32:47 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Pigsrus

After graduating from Arkansas I have lived in Missouri for over 20 years.  Thus I am able to read and hear more about Mizzou than most Hog fans.  I hear many lay claim to Mizzou being beneath us but the facts are Mizzou sports and it's school are on the rise.  The school has over 36,000 students with record numbers each year.  Gary Pinkel has done what no coaches at Mizzou could ever do with the way he develops talent.  Nebraska's Tom Osborn always referred to Missouri as the sleeping giant.  Well the move to the SEC might have just done that.   I'm glad there is lots of optimism in our fan base but I'm afraid Thanksgiving weekend will not be a happy one for us Hogs.

hoghiker

Quote from: Sweet Feet on July 23, 2014, 09:01:16 am
well mizzou playing into the rivalry is a start, being that nobody really has seen arkansas as a rival. I just hope they dont reschedule kansas or that will go away quickly
No kidding. Everybody in Arkansas is just hopin' Lil' Mo doesn't reschedule Kansas. Be a heart breaker. Not. Oh, and since it's not August first yet, you're pegging the idiot meter.

tusksincolorado

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on July 24, 2014, 11:12:57 am
Look at the fun you can have with #ARMOgeddon

Arkansas
Runs
Missouri
Off
Gary Pinkel
Eats
Dirty
Diaper
On
National TV

Just beat the I.M.P.s....and yes, Missourians know what that means.
Screw it! I'm an old angry male, live with it!

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: tusksincolorado on July 26, 2014, 05:31:51 pm
Just beat the I.M.P.s....and yes, Missourians know what that means.

Is that what they call the refs up there?

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Pigsrus on July 26, 2014, 04:36:58 pm
After graduating from Arkansas I have lived in Missouri for over 20 years.  Thus I am able to read and hear more about Mizzou than most Hog fans.  I hear many lay claim to Mizzou being beneath us but the facts are Mizzou sports and it's school are on the rise.  The school has over 36,000 students with record numbers each year.  Gary Pinkel has done what no coaches at Mizzou could ever do with the way he develops talent.  Nebraska's Tom Osborn always referred to Missouri as the sleeping giant.  Well the move to the SEC might have just done that.   I'm glad there is lots of optimism in our fan base but I'm afraid Thanksgiving weekend will not be a happy one for us Hogs.

Hard to say how either team will do this year, there is a lot of season laying ahead. In the meantime, it sounds as if you have been infected with the "Panthera tigris" virus. Need to see a Doc from Arkansas right away before it becomes more serious. ;)
Go Hogs Go!

Augustus

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on July 21, 2014, 06:10:20 am
We're in the SEC. We play a rival EVERY conference game. No one conference rival is more important than the other.

For the Arkansas fanbase, I agree. But, other fanbases weight certain wins differently than a win/loss over Arkansas. For example: Bama fans would rather beat Auburn (and Tennessee) than Ark, Georgia fans would rather beat Florida/SC than Ark, Ole Miss fans would rather beat Miss St than Ark (and vice versa), LSU would rather beat Bama than Ark.

As far as standings? Yes, every wins counts. But, there are still emotions tied to individual games.

We haven't had a "real" rival in the SEC... so, to us, every game is a rivalry (even though it really isn't).

IMHO

BluegrassRazorback

July 26, 2014, 09:13:35 pm #206 Last Edit: July 26, 2014, 09:31:10 pm by BluegrassRazorback
Quote from: jbcarol on July 20, 2014, 05:32:47 pm
Tod Palmer @todpalmer  ·  Jul 18
Are #Mizzou and Arkansas really rivals? Maybe not yet, but Tigers embrace chance to build something: http://www.kansascity.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/campus-corner/article758326.html
V
Quote from: jbcarol on July 20, 2014, 05:32:47 pm

Tod Palmer @todpalmer  ·  Jul 18
Are #Mizzou and Arkansas really rivals? Maybe not yet, but Tigers embrace chance to build something: http://www.kansascity.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/campus-corner/article758326.html
There is a possibility that Mizzou will eventually land in the SEC West if the SEC expands its footprint into North Carolina and/or Virginia.
There is a possibility that Mizzou will eventually land in the SEC West if the SEC expands its footprint into North Carolina and/or

Im totally down over this assignment from the SEC - totally disappointed

Small markets - small branding with No History and No national importance - it will be hard for either of us to make a big statement on second biggest weekend in college football

I'm thinking that  the SEC wants us both to stay that way with this match up

I prefer not to have a SEC assigned Rival and hate all the SEC equally -

But reality it's what we got maybe it will be a good tailgate and in 1o to 20 years worthy of some enthusiasm

BluegrassRazorback

This matchup should simply be another SEC game - nothing more

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: Pigsrus on July 26, 2014, 04:36:58 pm

What you posted just reinforces why this could become a great rivalry. The outcome of this year's game be it a razorback upset or a Missouri beat down is irrelevant. Either will help build ARMOgeddon into something our children and our children's children will celebrate as on of the greatest rivalries in CFB
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

BluegrassRazorback

July 26, 2014, 09:51:28 pm #209 Last Edit: July 26, 2014, 11:26:02 pm by BluegrassRazorback
Quote from: HogFan#1 on July 23, 2014, 08:48:59 am
LSU may not want to admit it but that game the day after thanksgiving was a rivalry.  Has been for 10+ years now. 

It's interesting the LSU fans I know wanted Ark mid season -- they felt Ark would be more. Manageable mid season than EOS Black Friday where Arkansas was motivated to make up for a bad season by beating LSU

LSU didn't get what they wanted completely - as a Mid Season Ark put Bama vs LSU back to baCk for the Hogs

I hear Jeff Long fought that and got Somthing of a concession by moving the LSU game middle Nov and LSU is playing us after Bama

Still LSU feels Ark is still more manageable after Bama than in Black Friday - when bowl games and maybe even the West can be decided - or Arkansas motuvated to save a bad season - they figure Ark will be uninspired and beat up for lack of depth  earlier in a mid season dump - plus moving Ark to earlier in the season takes away a national recuiting platform for Arkansas that playing LSu gives Ark on that special Black Friday

Now LSU gets Tex A&M in Thanksgiving and has not only national exposure but good visiability in the Texas recuiting markets and pesky Ark is diminished to play a regional time with no history of merit on a weekend filled with tradition and national merit or consequence - Ark vs Mizzou will simply be another regional matchup on BF - LSU smiles

Btw: it does appear now - the SEC wanted Mizzou because OU wasn't coming and Mizzoy was available to give Arkansas Somthing after promising Tex A&M to play LSU Thanksgiving to jump to the Conf

If true the SEC screwed Ark and now wants to pretend we should be grateful they got us this great potentual rivial

Sorry - Mizxou vs Arkansas looks to be a regional tailgate at best with no national Intrest

We were screwed

Cinco de Hogo

I don't know if we are screwed but I do know we were screwed! LOL. However that's in the past and we just need to beat LSU and Mizzou to get back at them.  Revenge would be sweet.

Hogfaniam

July 26, 2014, 10:12:47 pm #211 Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 04:12:05 am by Hogfaniam
Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on July 26, 2014, 01:22:53 pm
Great job creating the event and coming up with the name.  While others are whining about the rivalry and complaining about the name your chapters are doing something positive to promote the game, the university and provide scholarships. I'm all in on #ARMOgeddon
"Yeah, but are ya gettin it?"
"My dog Sam eats purple flowers"

BluegrassRazorback

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on July 26, 2014, 10:08:48 pm
I don't know if we are screwed but I do know we were screwed! LOL. However that's in the past and we just need to beat LSU and Mizzou to get back at them.  Revenge would be sweet.

+1

And get even with the SEC Front Office too for doing this

Good attitude and good post

I can support that

Deep Shoat

Quote from: Hogfaniam on July 26, 2014, 10:12:47 pm
"Yeah, but are gettin it?"
Come and get it from me...
All Gas, No Brakes!

Quickdraw

The hog fans better get ready for a rivalry because Mizzou is looking for one since they left the Big12 and will play like it's one weather Arkansas does or not. And if Little ole Arkansas does not take Mizzou serious the hogs will get beat every year. Mizzou is not a LSU but will put up a great game on Friday.

Murr

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on July 23, 2014, 08:54:34 amMaybe the Missouri game will grow into that, I just don't know. But I can't imagine a lot of families wanting to be sure they are parked in front of the t.v. on Black Friday for an engineered "rivalry" (outside of Arkansas and Missouri fans) as they have been in the past for the LSU game.

I hope I am wrong and it turns out to be great for us and very popular on a national basis, but I have my doubts at this point.
Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on July 24, 2014, 06:40:08 am
Here is who we are competing against on that day.

TBA           Navy at South Alabama              ESPN 3
12:00 PM   Western Kentucky at Marshall        FOX Sports 1
2:30 PM   Arkansas at Missouri                CBS
3:30 PM   Colorado State at Air Force        CBS Sports Network
3:30 PM   Stanford at UCLA              ABC
4:30 PM   Arizona State at Arizona        FOX

http://espn.go.com/college-football/schedule/_/week/14

The only tradition I want to see continued is the hogs kicking somebody's arse on that Friday.  I don't really care who.  I love the fact that no matter where I'm at for that Thanksgiving game that I can enjoy 4 quarters of awesomeness even if I'm not enjoying my surrounds. 

Now if CBS decides they would rather show some other matchup during the 2:30 time slot, so be it.  We have this SEC Network that should be able to easily fit us into it's prime time schedule.

LSU hasn't developed into the rivalry we had hoped.  Let's give the Mizzou one a chance and see where it goes.

PurpleBullHog

Is it just me or does it feel like we're forcing a nickname?  The razorback mascot was natural occurrence.  Even the Battle for the Golden Boot wasn't coned until we had been in the league a few years.   Let's just call it a "rivalry" game for now, and eventually something will come up that makes sense.

Murr

Quote from: BluegrassRazorback on July 26, 2014, 09:51:28 pmBtw: it does appear now - the SEC wanted Mizzou because OU wasn't coming and Mizzoy was available to give Arkansas Somthing after promising Tex A&M to play LSU Thanksgiving to jump to the Conf

Sorry - Mizxou vs Arkansas looks to be a regional tailgate at best with no national Intrest

We were screwed
OU was politically handcuffed to OSU as the pokies could be left without a safe home athletically.  Neither the PAC nor SEC thought there was enough value to double down in that state.  The B1G would never take either one due to the B1G's requirement for a university to be an AAU member at the time of the vote.

LSU-Ark was regional.  What's the difference between that match up and Mizz-Ark as far as conference, playoff, and bowl considerations?  Remember that Pinkel has Mizzou playing ball and just went to Atlanta.  LSU has just been winning more consistently.  Heck, I go over to other team's boards and they've all but forgotten that Arkansas had back-to-back 11 win seasons before the b*tch fell off the bike and the wheels fell off the program.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: immahog on July 23, 2014, 08:32:43 am
ehhh I like it ....will there be some sort of trophy???

Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Murr on July 27, 2014, 12:41:56 am
OU was politically handcuffed to OSU as the pokies could be left without a safe home athletically.  Neither the PAC nor SEC thought there was enough value to double down in that state.  The B1G would never take either one due to the B1G's requirement for a university to be an AAU member at the time of the vote.

A subtle dig at Nebraska............................... 
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

BluegrassRazorback

Quote from: Murr on July 27, 2014, 12:41:56 am

LSU-Ark was regional.  What's the difference between that match up and Mizz-Ark as far as conference, playoff, and bowl considerations?  Remember that Pinkel has Mizzou playing ball and just went to Atlanta.  LSU has just been winning more consistently.  Heck, I go over to other team's boards and they've all but forgotten that Arkansas had back-to-back 11 win seasons before the b*tch fell off the bike and the wheels fell off the program.

How you can say LSU is a regional game at EOS puzzles me - in the last ten years LSU's EOS game on Black Friday vs Ark has had a cascading effect on bowl selection for other programs -

You comment puzzles me

Anyway I get it - you drank the Koolade the SEC gave you and you feel good or you're a realist and you know Mizzou is what we got - screwed or not - we got to live with it

But with LSU's national profile that game on Black Friday was not a regional game and changing it to mid Nov vs Ark only makes the game less valuable in the national profile - because the outcome is less apparent nationally

fakebobholt

Cinco de Hogo

Which probably means this "game" is not were it needs to be yet to earn a name.  Names are hard to change so let's give her a chance to show us what that name needs to be.

However for future reference here is one I haven't seen mentioned, "Baldknobbers".  We just as well embrace a shared history.

BPsTheMan

when I see "manufactured" and "Missouri" in the same sentence, I think of meth

BluegrassRazorback

July 27, 2014, 04:12:03 pm #224 Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 04:31:04 pm by BluegrassRazorback
Quote from: Quickdraw on July 27, 2014, 12:26:10 am
The hog fans better get ready for a rivalry because Mizzou is looking for one since they left the Big12 and will play like it's one weather Arkansas does or not. And if Little ole Arkansas does not take Mizzou serious the hogs will get beat every year. Mizzou is not a LSU but will put up a great game on Friday.

Very True we must take them serious - Mizzou is a decent program now - with no national recognition of merit

Arkansas is seen as the unlucky sick man of the SEC

Beating Ark doent help Mizzou much

Arkansas beating Mizzou doesnt help Arkansas much either

Its a no winner for either program - no history - no consequences - no national interest of two small market teams.

For two programs trying to improve themselves - beating one or the other doesn't improve their national status or branding

Any improvement of the program status will happen before this end of season game or in the Bowl they play

Sadly the SEC found a way to screw both teams to be irrelevant for the next 10 to 20 years as they try and make something out of this game while the rest of the SEC makes Brand name BANK on Thanksgiving weekend

Mr Slive did us no favors -

Sadly this game has potential as a mid season game - no more

BluegrassRazorback

July 27, 2014, 07:40:15 pm #225 Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 08:15:52 pm by BluegrassRazorback
Quote from: HamIAm on July 23, 2014, 10:43:58 am
Call it the Slive Bowl.  Winner gets a Slive Bobble head.

I Think this is a Winner!

Making it redneck Chic - make the trophy a miniature outhouse with SEC front office on the door

You open the door and its a.Mike Slive Bobble Head on the throne

rusvegashog

Call it "the someone's godda be responsible for all these kids bowl". Or call it the "DGB don't play here and we don't want him either bowl".  Basically any phrase followed by the word bowl.

bruisemeister

What happens if Missouri all of a sudden becomes a national power like LSU did in football. Will they then say Arkansas is not really their rival(because they are beneath them)? Will their rival all of a sudden be Florida State, Oklahoma or Oregon because they may face them in the national title game? Will they say their main rival was actually Kansas or a new team that joins the SEC that has hot recruiting grounds(Texas Tech or Baylor)? When Bazzell started the Boot, he had good reasons. Both teams had about equal history(one national title each)and had seen better days(they were the bottom 2 of the SEC West in 1992 and 1994). LSU said their biggest rivals were Ole Miss, Bama and Auburn. The Hogs said Texas. Well Bama and Auburn have each other and Ole Miss had Miss State. Texas had only OU and Texas AM.
The same could be said about Mizzou. Kansas in basketball and Nebraska in football were their main rivals. However, it was one sided. At the time when people were pushing this rivalry, Missouri was coming off a bad season. As soon as its mentioned, they win the SEC East. Personally, I think it will work out. I think our fans feel its a slap in the race that a traditional SEC power will not accept them as a equal. Who cares if Bama, Auburn and LSU have finished last in the SEC West more than Arkansas. They have national titles to nullify those bad finishes. What Arkansas needs to do is take a page out of Missouri's book and kick some butt. Missouri isn't asking to be respected. They earned it. Here is hoping that the Missouri-Arkansas game becomes the game to watch in the SEC.

Hogfaniam

Mother Of All Rivalries. (Hopefully, someday, it gets to the point that the game determines who goes to Atlanta.)
"My dog Sam eats purple flowers"

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: John Futrall on July 23, 2014, 01:11:34 pm
Battle of the Bootheel?

http://www.encyclopediaofarkansas.net/encyclopedia/entry-detail.aspx?entryID=5736

This is what I would name it and I would dip some old cowboy bootheel in bronze and git-r-dun...

I'd also pass the trophy to the winning team by letting the losing teams mascot throw it across the field to our mascot... ;)
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

PorkSoda

Quote from: BluegrassRazorback on July 27, 2014, 07:40:15 pm
I Think this is a Winner!

Making it redneck Chic - make the trophy a miniature outhouse with SEC front office on the door

You open the door and its a.Mike Smive Bobble Head on the throne
that would be awesome, cause this has slive all over it. 
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

razorbackkid

I would rather live as if there is a God and find out there isn't, than to live as if there isn't and find out there is.

rhames

"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

Inhogswetrust

If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

cosmodrum

Go away, batin'

razorbackkid

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on August 06, 2014, 03:23:54 pm
I like it fine. I still prefer 'The Feud'.
I suppose we could bring Hatfield back....;)
I would rather live as if there is a God and find out there isn't, than to live as if there isn't and find out there is.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: razorbackkid on August 06, 2014, 03:25:21 pm
I suppose we could bring Hatfield back....;)

Do you know any McCoys in Mo? That would be hilarious!

Dwight_K_Shrute

There is nothing better than an ARMOgeddon thread, but please use #ARMOgeddon in all social media discussions about what is shaping up to be an epic battle.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

Augustus

The Boar War

This terrible name is about as forced as the rivalry.

FreshHog

Quote from: The Boar War on August 06, 2014, 03:39:54 pm
This terrible name is about as forced as the rivalry.

It really isnt. Its actually quite clever. It'll be nice to have an actual rivalry rather than US hating LSU because no one else hates us =/

cosmodrum

Quote from: FreshHog on August 06, 2014, 03:52:40 pm
It really isnt. Its actually quite clever. It'll be nice to have an actual rivalry rather than US hating LSU because no one else hates us =/

So let's hate on Mizzou because no one else hates us.
Go away, batin'

kingofdequeen

Battle for the Ozarks would resort in some KILLER t-shirts and signs.

LRHawg

I like ARMOGeddon and Battle of the Ozarks. How about:

ARMOgeddon: Battle for the Ozarks?

Boog41

I still like "The Crystal Meth Bowl", but I'm really good with ArMogeddon as a second choice. :)

kingofdequeen

Quote from: Boog41 on August 06, 2014, 04:05:52 pm
I still like "The Crystal Meth Bowl", but I'm really good with ArMogeddon as a second choice. :)

battle for the golden shopping cart (credit to TD).

razorbackkid

Quote from: cosmodrum on August 06, 2014, 03:59:23 pm

I'd rather think of it as hating Missouri simply because they are Missouri.  To me it is basically like hating rats because they carry disease.  Of course, my 12 gauge usually takes care of rats.

FreshHog

Quote from: cosmodrum on August 06, 2014, 03:59:23 pm

You do realize what a rivalry is right? It requires 2 parties... not just 1.

Ark vs LSU was never a rivalry... Ever. Not one single time. Was it a trophy game? Sure. But a rivalry? No.

It seems like both fan bases are actually really trying to get into it and embrace it. Which is nice... because as I said.. it takes 2 parties to create a rivalry.

The Boar War

Quote from: FreshHog on August 06, 2014, 03:52:40 pm

I'm sorry but how is this "clever"?  This game could be a rivalry, a battle, even a feud.  But is it ever going to be a battle between good and evil at the end of the world?  Aside from that it's misspelled. 

ArMogeddon has all the class, substance, and staying power of a toy from a McDonald's happy meal. 

I'm fine with the actual rivalry.  Although it is a net loss when compared to playing LSU after Thanksgiving it could develop into something special.  But I wish we could let it write it's own story instead of rushing to declare it as a misspelled battle for the end of the world.  It just feels very "red wolffish" to me.