Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Manufactured or not, Missouri embraces rivalry with Arkansas

Started by jbcarol, July 20, 2014, 05:32:47 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Pork Twain

Battle for the Ozarks?  No worse than the battle for the boot
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Pork Twain

Quote from: HogFan#1 on July 22, 2014, 12:40:17 pm
But not in that time slot, on that day, every year.   I'm telling you, we'll see some sort of negative impact from letting LSU get out of playing us on the day after thanksgiving.  Playing Mizzou doesn't and own't have near the same hype or results.
No way to tell.  It will have to play out, just like us playing LSU had to play out, but we do get aTm in Dallas.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

Hogwild

Quote from: DawgTownHog on July 22, 2014, 08:33:26 am
I thought the Arkansas and Missouri programs were probably close in success over the last 10 yrs as many have said in this thread...and then I looked. It's not even close.

One can argue difference in competition (UA 10yrs SEC v MO 2 yrs SEC) and many will but the difference I believe is consistency in coaching. Over the last 10 yrs Missouri has had one head coach, Arkansas...4.

I'll admit I knew we have been down, but I didn't realize the gap in results between the two schools.

We have had 5 losing seasons in the last ten years, 4 different head coaches have had losing seasons.  Missouri went to 8 bowl games, winning 5 of them. Missouri in the last ten years has won 20+ more games then us, been to more conference title games, and has had more Top 25, Top10, & Top 5 finishes than us.

jabohog

If you have a few games that knock one or the other out of gaining something like a bowl, or the east/west championship, etc. it will turn into the feud in the Ozarks really quick. Otherwise it will be just between us fans unless one of us is playing for high stakes.

chitwnhog

Quote from: Hogwild on July 22, 2014, 01:05:51 pm
I'll admit I knew we have been down, but I didn't realize the gap in results between the two schools.

We have had 5 losing seasons in the last ten years, 4 different head coaches have had losing seasons.  Missouri went to 8 bowl games, winning 5 of them. Missouri in the last ten years has won 20+ more games then us, been to more conference title games, and has had more Top 25, Top10, & Top 5 finishes than us.

And it shows what stability in a program can do.

GuvHog

Quote from: HogFan#1 on July 22, 2014, 12:40:17 pm
But not in that time slot, on that day, every year.   I'm telling you, we'll see some sort of negative impact from letting LSU get out of playing us on the day after thanksgiving.  Playing Mizzou doesn't and own't have near the same hype or results.

THIS 100%^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

When Arkansas and LSU met on black Friday, it was THE game and there was almost always something on the line for at least 1 of those teams. No other game with Mizzou will ever come close to matching that IMHO.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: GuvHog on July 22, 2014, 02:14:30 pm

When Arkansas and LSU met on black Friday, it was THE game and there was almost always something on the line for at least 1 of those teams. No other game with Mizzou will ever come close to matching that IMHO.

Too many make this part of the discussion about Mizzou as if we are being negative towards their program when we express our frustrations over what was lost in moving the LSU game to earlier in the season.  It is more about what LSU is as a program and opponent. And I would hope no Mizzou fan would argue they are as appealing of an opponent as LSU.
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Pork Twain

Quote from: GuvHog on July 22, 2014, 02:14:30 pm

Way too early to say how this is going to shake out.  It could become the next Red River Shootout

Horsesrus

I received an email from the Alumni association offering an opportunity to buy tickets to the Missouri game and this is the name being given to the new "rivalry" game, at least by the Alumni association. 

Hogeration

Cool name.  I hope it's not true for us.  When we get things turned around, that name will sell a lot of T-shirts.

lefty08

I actually like that
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

Doug

Quote from: popcornhogA&M would've been the natural fit as our rival though. I hate that it wasn't marketed that way.
Part of what makes a rivalry a rivalry (transcending all sports) is having a very close record. As much as we wanted LSU to be that team for us, it's not. Nor is Texas A&M. Texas and Ole Miss is closer to being a natural rivalry than any other team in history, right now.
--Doug
Full time Web Developer, Sports junkie and Sports Personality

@BearlyDoug  |  @GridironHistory  |  @Hogville
TheFan.net | BearlyDoug.com | My plugins on WordPress.org | GridironHistory.com

(If you have a tech question, please post in the Help forum, instead of private messaging or emailing me (unless I request it). Thanks!)

Sweet Feet

Quote from: Doug on July 23, 2014, 08:00:54 am
Part of what makes a rivalry a rivalry (transcending all sports) is having a very close record. As much as we wanted LSU to be that team for us, it's not. Nor is Texas A&M. Texas and Ole Miss is closer to being a natural rivalry than any other team in history, right now.
for arkansas?

Pork Twain

Quote from: Sweet Feet on July 23, 2014, 08:07:11 am
for arkansas?
For Arkansas, through the eyes of the rest of the world.  Through the eyes of many Arkansas fans, we have only aTm, Texass or LSU as natural rivals.

HF#1

"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

Inhogswetrust

July 23, 2014, 08:22:11 am #115 Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 08:46:41 am by Inhogswetrust
Not too bad except for the obvious religious influence. I still think it should be the "feud".
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Sweet Feet

Quote from: Pork Twain on July 23, 2014, 08:15:31 am
For Arkansas, through the eyes of the rest of the world.  Through the eyes of many Arkansas fans, we have only aTm, Texass or LSU as natural rivals.
but he said what makes a rivalry a rivalry is a close record. Is he talking about head up?

The Boar War

That's not going to become fodder for jokes about Ozark literacy rates.

immahog

ehhh I like it ....will there be some sort of trophy???
No lions No tigers No bears.....ImmaHog

1highhog

I think they can come up with a better name for it than that.  Armageddon denotes the site or time of a final and conclusive battle between the forces of good and evil, a usually vast decisive conflict or confrontation.  So to me, that means two teams that would be battling it out for supremacy, like in this case, Arkansas or Missouri reigning over the SEC.  That's not likely to happen anytime soon.

HF#1

I'd call it, just another game
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

buldozer

Texas always has been our natural rival.... but we were not theirs.... and I was just getting to like beating LSU half as much as Texas and now this..... yea they are probably more our equals than Texas or LSU, both of which were probably out of our reach many years and I guess the university is basically closer to MO than much of Arkansas.... so let the "professionals" determine who our rival should be as opposed to the fans and players.... 20 years will determine if they were correct

HF#1

hatred and history make rivalries.  Not the SEC scheduling folks.

Pigsknuckles

Quote from: HogFan#1 on July 23, 2014, 08:20:33 am
Ugh

Yeah, has that Deliverminator feel to it, doesn't it?
"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

WardamnHOGGLE

I'm looking forward to the "rivalry".  Still loved the ol' LSU/Arky matchups though. :razorback:

buldozer

HF#1

Quote from: buldozer on July 23, 2014, 08:47:26 am
^^^^exactly^^^^

LSU may not want to admit it but that game the day after thanksgiving was a rivalry.  Has been for 10+ years now. 

Cinco de Hogo

I thought this thread would be about the Auburn gam. lol!

Since the loser at Armogeddon is evil how many times in the future are we gonna be EVIL?

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: buldozer on July 23, 2014, 08:39:17 am
Texas always has been our natural rival.... but we were not theirs.... and I was just getting to like beating LSU half as much as Texas and now this..... yea they are probably more our equals than Texas or LSU, both of which were probably out of our reach many years and I guess the university is basically closer to MO than much of Arkansas.... so let the "professionals" determine who our rival should be as opposed to the fans and players.... 20 years will determine if they were correct

We aren't going to stop playing LSU and we will still be playing for a trophy symbolic of whomever wins that game. The part that bothers me is not having LSU on that day after Thanksgiving when we were absolutely assured of having a nationally televised game that spawned national interest.

Maybe the Missouri game will grow into that, I just don't know. But I can't imagine a lot of families wanting to be sure they are parked in front of the t.v. on Black Friday for an engineered "rivalry" (outside of Arkansas and Missouri fans) as they have been in the past for the LSU game.

I hope I am wrong and it turns out to be great for us and very popular on a national basis, but I have my doubts at this point.
Go Hogs Go!

The_Iceman

I like the nickname for the game. Pretty creative.

Sweet Feet

Quote from: buldozer on July 23, 2014, 08:39:17 am
well mizzou playing into the rivalry is a start, being that nobody really has seen arkansas as a rival. I just hope they dont reschedule kansas or that will go away quickly

thirrdegreetusker

Quote from: The_Iceman on July 23, 2014, 08:58:48 am

Agree. Best name I have seen for this game, by far.

sowmonella

Bazzel is already working on a 400 LB trophy. Here's the first draft.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

chitwnhog

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on July 23, 2014, 08:54:34 am
We aren't going to stop playing LSU and we will still be playing for a trophy symbolic of whomever wins that game. The part that bothers me is not having LSU on that day after Thanksgiving when we were absolutely assured of having a nationally televised game that spawned national interest.

Maybe the Missouri game will grow into that, I just don't know. But I can't imagine a lot of families wanting to be sure they are parked in front of the t.v. on Black Friday for an engineered "rivalry" (outside of Arkansas and Missouri fans) as they have been in the past for the LSU game.

I hope I am wrong and it turns out to be great for us and very popular on a national basis, but I have my doubts at this point.

Bottom line nationally( considering the fact that there will be limited options of football to watch on that day) is going to be the excitement factor. If the games are exciting like many of the UA v LSU matchups have been then the viewers will come. If not then the  game will never be nearly as popular as the series with LSU.

BigSexyHog

Stupidest thing I have ever heard of.  That name is beyond gay
Lebron raised money for kids... Rotnei stole crap from the equipment room

jgphillips3

It's not bad really.  I mean, it's not great but I have seen worse.  It'll do until a name arises organically.

BigD94

Surely they can come up with something better than that.
WOO PIG!

HeismanHawg

If they are going to put a name on it....

Something to do with the Ozarks could work...or....Mason Dixon..etc

ARMOgeddon isn't that bad. Doesn't another rivalry game already use Armogedden?

Cinco de Hogo

Gonna be interesting to compare the TV ratings of the AR/MO game against the LSU/AtM game and also see how the AR/MO game stacks up against past AR/LSU games.  If we lose that viewership big time you can for sure say it hurt Arkansas big time.  Recruiting battle are won in situations like this.

HamIAm

Call it the Slive Bowl.  Winner gets a Slive Bobble head.

Arkansas Fan

And "AR" is first, as Arkansas should always be ahead of Missouri.

Dwight_K_Shrute

Me too, not the worst thing they could have called it.

Although they should add a hashtag #ARMOgeddon.  Then people can starting tweeting it.  Example "Hey Missouri fans, ready to meet your maker at #ARMOgeddon?"

Plus there is an Arkansas fan connection.  Billy Bob Thornton was in the 1998 movie Armageddon with Bruce Willis.

But if Jeff Long is smart they will hire a certain band to play pre-game of the first installment in Fayetteville or just blast it on the big screen.

Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

DZ

is this the same group that came up with "Nuttin" but fun?

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: DZ on July 23, 2014, 12:09:33 pm
is this the same group that came up with "Nuttin" but fun?

No, that was the past administration.  This group came up with throwing the A
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

Dwight_K_Shrute

I'm totally on board now that I know it will be called #ARMOgeddon

Ya better come inside when you're ready to
But no chance if ya don't wanna dance
You like four letter words when you're ready to
But then you won't 'cos you know that you can

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on July 23, 2014, 10:34:03 am
Gonna be interesting to compare the TV ratings of the AR/MO game against the LSU/AtM game and also see how the AR/MO game stacks up against past AR/LSU games.  If we lose that viewership big time you can for sure say it hurt Arkansas big time.  Recruiting battle are won in situations like this.

Good point that is why we have had top 15 classes every year this has been the marquee Friday game.

The Boar War

Creative?

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on July 23, 2014, 12:10:44 pm

You're having a really good day today! Keep em coming.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on July 23, 2014, 12:10:44 pm

Some on here don't think this group ever throws..................................

HF#1

I'm telling you, you can't force these things.  It'll never work.