Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Manufactured or not, Missouri embraces rivalry with Arkansas

Started by jbcarol, July 20, 2014, 05:32:47 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jbcarol

Tod Palmer @todpalmer  ·  Jul 18
Are #Mizzou and Arkansas really rivals? Maybe not yet, but Tigers embrace chance to build something: http://www.kansascity.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/campus-corner/article758326.html ...

Quote"If the SEC calls you a rival, you've got to be a rival," junior center Evan Boehm said. "It's time to get it going now. We're going to play them that Friday after Thanksgiving at 1:30 and wherever that goes, it goes."

"Hopefully, that is something CBS will want to continue going forward," Missouri athletic director Mike Alden said.

"I don't think it's going to live up to the hype right now of what Missouri/Kansas did, but in a few years it could be just as good, if not better," Boehm said.

"Initially, I thought maybe that might be our rival game," Tigers coach Gary Pinkel said of A&M. "Now, our rival game is Arkansas, which is going to be a great fit for us also."

"No matter what the situation is, you wrap your arms around it, kiss it, hug it, make it great," Bielema said. "... I think it can be built into something special."

There is a possibility that Mizzou will eventually land in the SEC West if the SEC expands its footprint into North Carolina and/or Virginia.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

rhames

I know it's hard for some to believe but this will be awesome in time.

We were not lsu's rival
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

Hogfaniam

Rivalry Road is a two way thoroughfare.  We've been driving down an alley for too long.
"My dog Sam eats purple flowers"

SPAL

I do too. This won't be popular, but we aren't that far above them over the last 10 years.

It's a good rivalry that I'm actually looking forward to. We need someone to hate that will hate us back.

chitwnhog

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on July 20, 2014, 05:40:26 pm
I do too. This won't be popular, but we aren't that far above them over the last 10 years.

It's a good rivalry that I'm actually looking forward to. We need someone to hate that will hate us back.

Absolutely true. I like this "rivalry"

Bubba's Bruisers

It's a natural fit.  Bordering states.  Neither has an instate rival nor a natural out of state rival. It will become more obvious when MO is in the West where they should be.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

IntegrityHog

Have to disagree with you there.  We are head and shoulders above programs like Missouri.  I am confident that Coach B will have us challenging Bama and LSU before too long.

popcornhog

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on July 20, 2014, 05:42:59 pm
It's a natural fit.  Bordering states.  Neither has an instate rival nor a natural out of state rival. It will become more obvious when MO is in the West where they should be.

Even if they never join the West I think it'll be a solid rivalry. Basketball is paving the way for it already.

Some big time SEC rivalries are already cross divisional -- AU/UGA and UT/Bama.

A&M would've been the natural fit as our rival though. I hate that it wasn't marketed that way.
WPS

popcornhog

Quote from: IntegrityHog on July 20, 2014, 05:46:06 pm
Have to disagree with you there.  We are head and shoulders above programs like Missouri.  I am confident that Coach B will have us challenging Bama and LSU before too long.

Enough already.

Somebody needs to check this guy's IP address -- has to be an Auburn troll.
WPS

carolinahogger

And we are definitely below them now.  I am excited about this rivalry.

Hawgzinbowlz

I'll be happy to beat them in '14. I think we'll take a close one and I'll take any kind of win.

Arkansas '13 Record: Overall: 3-9 (0-8); vs SEC West: 0-6; vs Top 25: 0-6.
Missouri '13 Record: Overall: 12-2 (7-1); vs SEC East: 5-1; vs Top 25: 5-2.

No delusions, just the facts, just win.

" GO HOGS "

Pig Worshipper

I respect Missouri and what Pinkel has done with the football program there but it's hard for me to get too excited about it as a rivalry. I'm sure that will change over time, especially if they keep winning against us.

Locutus_of_Boar

Mizzou will do.

"The rivalry is with ourself. I try to be better than is possible. I fight against myself, not against the other." - Luciano Pavarotti

Jamie Jones

Count me in! It took their fans coming on this board in Jump Ball, during the MA hire, but I hate em'! Like Mizzouman, though....hate his team.
I'm a Hog fan. I never chant S-E-C! I hate all the other members.

Razorback de Nosferatu

I already like this "rivalry," and in time, I think it will be a very meaningful matchup for both schools.  Missouri is a team I find very easy to hate; despite our dismal recent history, we will likely be seen as relatively equal opponents by the national media... and I like the close proximity of the two campuses.

And as a slight aside, while I am no fan of Pinkel, I think he is proof that patience and consistency have a LOT to do with a program's success.  Perhaps fans need to be patient and let recently-hired coaches learn on the job a little bit.  A quick Google search reveals that Pinkel's Missouri team won four games his first year, five his second... and beyond that-- and this is a span of over a decade-- they've had only two years in which they've won less than seven games, and four times they've won ten or more.  Art Briles is another very similar example: two four-win seasons, then an upward trend.

I truly hope, whatever happens this year, that Hog fans are patient with Bielema.  I think he can get us to a level in which seven or eight wins is our BASE....  If we'll just let him build his program and find his rhythm. 

Nothing new, I know.  But I got to typing about Missouri and needed to ramble a bit.   :razorback:

Kevin

Finally a chance for a true rivalry.  The rivalry with Texas was one sided, we were probably third on their list behind, Oklahoma & a&m.

This good be really good
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Jamie Jones

Quote from: Kevin on July 20, 2014, 06:39:22 pm
Finally a chance for a true rivalry.  The rivalry with Texas was one sided, we were probably third on their list behind, Oklahoma & a&m.

This good be really good
Agreed.
I'm a Hog fan. I never chant S-E-C! I hate all the other members.

alohawg

Quote from: jbcarol on July 20, 2014, 05:32:47 pm
Tod Palmer @todpalmer  ·  Jul 18
Are #Mizzou and Arkansas really rivals? Maybe not yet, but Tigers embrace chance to build something: http://www.kansascity.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/campus-corner/article758326.html ...

There is a possibility that Mizzou will eventually land in the SEC West if the SEC expands its footprint into North Carolina and/or Virginia.

I hope not, seems to me the more it expands the less meaningful it will become.
"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️
https://t.me/covidbc

jabohog

Traditionally, Arkansas rivalries have been with us and with the other team not necessarily thinking it was that big of a deal. Texas is an example, LSU is an example. That's because we pop up and ruin their season when no one thought we could. As fans we have loved doing that darn for decades. This will be different because these two teams are on equal levels or will be. It will be interesting to see how it plays out.

Al Boarland

I like it. All the other teams in the SEC have a true rival. Our games against MZZOU will be competitive for years to come.

jabohog

Quote from: The Big Easy on July 20, 2014, 07:06:16 pm
We are above them? I don't think so, at this point they are better. The LSU - A&M game has now taken the place of Texas on Thanksgiving night. This was a money decision by the league.
There's no doubt about that, and A&M will wind up regretting it along with playing SC every year. We probably came out with the best deal, though it will take a few games to get it going, Mizzou and us will be the only game in town that night. It will help both schools a bunch.

thefisher

Agreed.  We have never had a true rivalry in my lifetime.  We hated Texas....but they didn't hate us back.  We were just another name on the schedule for them compared to Texas A&M.   We tried to hate LSU and win the Golden Boot.  However, LSU had far to many years of SEC history ... and the never hated us back.  We even tried to up the ante with Auburn as a rival. Alas, we will never be on their most hated list like Bama is. Years of hatred and living in the same vicinity make them natural enemies.

Missouri is the first team we have actually had a chance of being a real rival of in my lifetime.  Mizzou lost their heated Kansas rivalry by moving to the SEC. Arkansas is perfectly situated to step into that place.  Arkansas now has the chance to actually pick a fight with a team that isn't sitting on years of rivalry with other schools. It is the first time in my lifetime we might start a rivalry with a school that will actually look back at us the same way.

In time I think it becomes a great explosive rivalry!
I miss the smell of the mud, grass, and sweat of the practice field. I miss blood oozing down your arm from the rip in your skin that was slashed on a guys helmet as you punked him at the line of scrimmage and put his dobber in the dirt.

Arkansas Fan

Quote from: jabohog on July 20, 2014, 06:57:50 pm
Traditionally, Arkansas rivalries have been with us and with the other team not necessarily thinking it was that big of a deal. Texas is an example, LSU is an example. That's because we pop up and ruin their season when no one thought we could. As fans we have loved doing that darn for decades. This will be different because these two teams are on equal levels or will be. It will be interesting to see how it plays out.

If that's the case, then this "rivalry" with Missouri won't be thought of as that big a deal.

Phil D

It has the best shot at being a rivalry game that we have had in awhile. they are a better natural rival than South Carolina that's for sure. :razorback:
GO HOGS!!!!!!

Hogfaniam

"My dog Sam eats purple flowers"

IntegrityHog

Quote from: popcornhog on July 20, 2014, 05:48:19 pm
Enough already.

Somebody needs to check this guy's IP address -- has to be an Auburn troll.

Well, excuse me for being optimistic about the future. 

I'm no troll, and I've barely said anything about Auburn.  Since you brought him up, I think he's a flash in the pan.  He unethically recruited players in high school, and swept the whole "spice" thing under the rug.  He has not problem taking on guys with low character.  And I think you'll see the NCAA come to their senses soon and outlaw the "Prairie Dog" offense due to player safety concerns.  So no, I'm not a fan of Auburn and Gus.

tophawg19

Actually we have a long history with A&M From the SWC days , It hurt that they came in while we are down but there is a lot of respect between the two. The rivalry between us and mizzou actually started during Nolan's years . and their moose club  doing stuff to our players
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

Augustus

I really, really didn't like losing the Black Friday game with LSU...  but if we replace it with Mizzou I'd be ok with that.

And, I welcome this rivalry, even if it starts out being manufactured.  It does make sense, border states, they don't have a true rival anymore, and sorry... but we never really had one.  Plus, their fans are completely obnoxious. Way worse than any I've encountered with LSU or otherwise. Well, maybe not Texass but we've been there done that.

I think over the next few years, basketball and football, it starts taking a life of it's own.

Arkansas Fan

Quote from: tophawg19 on July 20, 2014, 08:12:26 pm
Actually we have a long history with A&M From the SWC days , It hurt that they came in while we are down but there is a lot of respect between the two. The rivalry between us and mizzou actually started during Nolan's years . and their moose club  doing stuff to our players

If we have to have one, A&M should be our rival, not Missouri. We have zero history with Missouri, it's just the SEC telling us to sit down, shut up, and go play in a corner with Missouri while they treat A&M like royalty.

SamBuckhart

We have had a pretty good rivalry with Ole Miss over the years. Traveled to Jackson several times to see them play. Ole Miss in LR seems a natural to me. Nothing against Georgia, but I think that game belongs in Fayetteville. I digress. The number one rivalry for us has been the longhorns. Right now it may be lsu. I like the Missouri rivalry though. Especially in basketball. Wont be the same without Dilbert though.
BE TRUE TO YOUR SCHOOL. THE UNIVERSITY OF ARKANSAS!!!  WOOO PIG!!!

Razorback de Nosferatu

Quote from: Augustus on July 20, 2014, 08:16:18 pm
I really, really didn't like losing the Black Friday game with LSU...  but if we replace it with Mizzou I'd be ok with that.

And, I welcome this rivalry, even if it starts out being manufactured.  It does make sense, border states, they don't have a true rival anymore, and sorry... but we never really had one.  Plus, their fans are completely obnoxious. Way worse than any I've encountered with LSU or otherwise. Well, maybe not Texass but we've been there done that.

I think over the next few years, basketball and football, it starts taking a life of it's own.

Agree with almost everything you said.

Except, from my vantage point, there's hardly a fan base out there more obnoxious than LSU's.  No doubt Mizzou's up there with them, but LSU fans, be they real or of the fair weather type, take it to a whole new level.

tophawg19

mizzou is closer to us and we will fight over recruits so it makes sense
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

Hoggish1

Quote from: Razorback de Nosferatu on July 20, 2014, 06:30:06 pm

I truly hope, whatever happens this year, that Hog fans are patient with Bielema.  I think he can get us to a level in which seven or eight wins is our BASE....  If we'll just let him build his program and find his rhythm. 

8 or 9 will be our base.  Anything lower, I'm not buying it...

Bubba's Bruisers

Missouri is potentially the first rival where both teams actually think of the other as a rival.  Don't think we've ever had that.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

Arkansas Fan

Quote from: tophawg19 on July 20, 2014, 08:19:55 pm
mizzou is closer to us and we will fight over recruits so it makes sense

If that's the case then LSU, Texas, A&M, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Tennessee, etc.. are our rivals as well. Since, you know, we fight over recruits with them, too.

Locutus_of_Boar

Quote from: Arkansas Fan on July 20, 2014, 08:17:29 pm
If we have to have one, A&M should be our rival, not Missouri. We have zero history with Missouri, it's just the SEC telling us to sit down, shut up, and go play in a corner with Missouri while they treat A&M like royalty.

Ole Miss, Texas, LSU makes no difference.  As it always has been and ever shall be...Arkansas' rival is whoever is most in the way.

What has changed for Mizzou now is that it is the Razorbacks who stand in their way.

SPAL

Quote from: The Big Easy on July 20, 2014, 07:06:16 pm
We are above them? I don't think so, at this point they are better. The LSU - A&M game has now taken the place of Texas on Thanksgiving night. This was a money decision by the league.

I'm guessing you missed "over the last 10 years" because your comment saying "at this point" wouldn't make sense. Unless you think they have had a better program over the last 10 years.

Arkansas Fan

Quote from: Locutus_of_Boar on July 20, 2014, 08:29:30 pm
Ole Miss, Texas, LSU makes no difference.  As it always has been and ever shall be...Arkansas' rival is whoever is most in the way.

What has changed for Mizzou now is that it is the Razorbacks who stand in their way.

It's the SEC that stands in Arkansas' way. So, I want to beat everyone we play, not to be like South Carolina before Spurrier and just not care about any other game but Clemson. I don't want Arkansas to fall to the point where all we care about is beating Missouri.

HogFanatic

You guys say what you will, but my girlfriend and I will be traveling to Columbia this year to watch the game. This will be the first away SEC game I have ever attended. So, rivalry or no, I expect there will be a great turnout of Hog fans for the Mizzou game. Seems off on the right foot to me.

Al Boarland

Quote from: Ashley Schaeffer on July 20, 2014, 08:43:29 pm
You guys say what you will, but my girlfriend and I will be traveling to Columbia this year to watch the game. This will be the first away SEC game I have ever attended. So, rivalry or no, I expect there will be a great turnout of Hog fans for the Mizzou game. Seems off on the right foot to me.

+1.  I know I'll be there.  Should be a good one.

redeye

I've actually wanted this game for decades.  Don't know if it'll ever become a great rivalry, but I'll enjoy bragging rights over all my Mizzou family and friends.

Huckleberry Pig

I actually think it will be a much better fit as far as rivalries go.  Like someone mentioned above we were on a one-way street with our LSU "rivalry". Mizzou is now looking for a rival and we need one as well, the border war makes it a natural fit and I think it will turn into something really fun in a few years.  Hopefully more fun for us

SemperFi

Quote from: Arkansas Fan on July 20, 2014, 08:17:29 pm

This I agree with and I'm pissed about it. I'm no fan of Mizzou and I really don't like Gary Pinkel, but I despise aTm and think that the SEC is treating them like some Golden Child. Manziel created more fuel to my hate fire for aTm and I'm disgusted by Slive's obvious love affair with them. Their rivalry with LSU has spanned over 100 years, but at a rate of 1 game every 2 years. Does anyone really think that LSU is going to look at aTm any differently than they do Arkansas? Alabama is probably their biggest modern rivalry with Florida a close second. I'll embrace this imposed rivalry between the Hogs and Mizzou, but only under protest as I've felt that Arkansas going toe to toe with LSU over the past 20 years on Black Friday has been an awesome series with some spectacular games and memories.
Some people wonder all their lives if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem. - Ronald Reagan

chitwnhog

Quote from: Huckleberry Pig on July 20, 2014, 09:06:53 pm
I actually think it will be a much better fit as far as rivalries go.  Like someone mentioned above we were on a one-way street with our LSU "rivalry". Mizzou is now looking for a rival and we need one as well, the border war makes it a natural fit and I think it will turn into something really fun in a few years.  Hopefully more fun for us

'm looking forward to it. Now if Bazzel will just come up with a trophy to play for we are all set.

pigture perfect

The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

scruf

By the way, Arkansas and LSU will continue to play for the Golden Boot Trophy, even if it isn't the last game of the year.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: DawgTownHog on July 20, 2014, 05:42:41 pm
Absolutely true. I like this "rivalry"

We're in the SEC. We play a rival EVERY conference game. No one conference rival is more important than the other.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

PennHOG

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep just like my grandfather, and not like the screaming passengers in his car!

chitwnhog

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on July 21, 2014, 06:10:20 am
We're in the SEC. We play a rival EVERY conference game. No one conference rival is more important than the other.

I understand this reference and agree with you to an extent however I think this will probably be a more heated battle on both sides because of our proximity and the fact that we have no real rival that sees us as a rival and MO may actually see us as a rival.