Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

SEC coaches talk of shorter season.

Started by PorkerOinker, July 19, 2014, 09:05:42 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

PorkerOinker

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/11229760/sec-coaches-question-regular-season-structure

Apparently some SEC coaches think if the college football playoff is expanded the regular season should be shortened due to the toll it could take on players playing that many games. Hmmmm, so now coaches are concerned about the season being to long due to the physical toll it could take on player, but some of the coaches have no issue running HUNH offenses which run enough plays per game that when totaled up over the course of the season it could be equal to 2-3 more games played during the season anyway. Just something I found interesting, I will be interested to see coaches like Gus, Kevin Sumlin, Gary Pinkel and others opinion on this.

I will say that the one of the coaches mentioned in the article suggest cutting back one game, really do not see the benefit in just cutting one game if playoff is expanded.
"America promises equal opportunity, not equal outcomes"-Paul Ryan

HiggiePiggy

I can't see the regular season being shorten because of the money made. 
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

PorkerOinker

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on July 19, 2014, 09:10:13 pm
I can't see the regular season being shorten because of the money made. 

I don't either I just found it interesting that some coaches feel the season ought to be shortened a game, but have know issue running the HUNH which more or less could add multiple games to the season with the number of plays these offenses run in a game.
"America promises equal opportunity, not equal outcomes"-Paul Ryan

HiggiePiggy

I doubt the coaches will get much say in how many games are played.  1 game lost is a lot of money for a school. 
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

bofadeeznutts

What will eventually happen is coaches will start to say that the scholarship limit should be raised to add depth and avoid injuries with the longer schedule.  Then the big five will truly run all of college football, not that they don't already.

Tick Hog

Quote from: bofadeeznutts on July 19, 2014, 09:38:18 pm
What will eventually happen is coaches will start to say that the scholarship limit should be raised to add depth and avoid injuries with the longer schedule.  Then the big five will truly run all of college football, not that they don't already.
I could see this happening but it would be horrible for us. The Bama's, LSU's, ect. of the world would take the middle of the pack kids we thrive on and promise them the world just so they won't play against them.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: PorkerOinker on July 19, 2014, 09:05:42 pm
http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/11229760/sec-coaches-question-regular-season-structure

Apparently some SEC coaches think if the college football playoff is expanded the regular season should be shortened due to the toll it could take on players playing that many games. Hmmmm, so now coaches are concerned about the season being to long due to the physical toll it could take on player, but some of the coaches have no issue running HUNH offenses which run enough plays per game that when totaled up over the course of the season it could be equal to 2-3 more games played during the season anyway. Just something I found interesting, I will be interested to see coaches like Gus, Kevin Sumlin, Gary Pinkel and others opinion on this.

I will say that the one of the coaches mentioned in the article suggest cutting back one game, really do not see the benefit in just cutting one game if playoff is expanded.

All depends upon how many more teams are allowed in the Play off, which I think the coaches discussed. 4 teams, 8 teams, might not be a problem. Go to a 16 team play off and it is the end of CCG's.
Go Hogs Go!

Hoggish1

Quote from: Tick Hog on July 19, 2014, 09:46:10 pm
I could see this happening but it would be horrible for us. The Bama's, LSU's, ect. of the world would take the middle of the pack kids we thrive on and promise them the world just so they won't play against them.

No, we are not going back to the time of the Bear.

Tick Hog

Paul

Quote from: Hoggish1 on July 19, 2014, 09:53:22 pm
No, we are not going back to the time of the Bear.
Or Broyles, Royal etc