Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Which NFL team of the decade was the best all time?

Started by Sweet Feet, July 19, 2014, 06:29:37 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Which team of the decade in the NFL was the best?

60s Packers
4 (4.7%)
70s Steelers
31 (36.5%)
80s 49ers
23 (27.1%)
90s Cowboys
22 (25.9%)
00s Patriots
5 (5.9%)

Total Members Voted: 81

Sweet Feet

Also, which decade team could beat the rest in your opinion?

Bubba's Bruisers

I'll go with the 49'ers just because.  It's why I, dare I say, have always thought Montana was at least a fudge overrated.  He was great, of course, but, Goodness did he have every weapon and offensive mastermind coaching at his disposal.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

LRRandy

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on July 19, 2014, 06:33:20 pm
I'll go with the 49'ers just because.  It's why I, dare I say, have always thought Montana was at least a fudge overrated.  He was great, of course, but, Goodness did he have every weapon and offensive mastermind coaching at his disposal.
good points. Hard to argue. I went with 70's Steelers because of defense and star power on offense. Would Steel curtain stop Montana and co. ? Would have been fun to see.
This is fun, isn't it.

Augustus

Went with the 49ers. Them against all other teams listed?  It'd be close, but I think they would pull it out.

But, on the flipside, I think the '85 Bears beat 'em.

Hogwild

Deep Shoat

It is either the 70's Steelers or the 90's Cowboys.

Not that the 9ers weren't a great team, but the other two were ridiculously good.

I'd also like ot point out that the 2nd best team in the 70' and 80's was Dallas.
All Gas, No Brakes!

SPAL

Dr. Starcs

Cowboys, unless Belichik had videotaping capabilities.

OS2 (SW) Razor Back

The Giants win the penent!!!!!The Giants win the penent!!!
Today, I consider myself the luckiest man on the face of the Earth.
I can't believe what I just saw!!!!
Down goes Frazier!!!! Down goes Frazier!!!
Do you believe in miricles?!?!?!

Deep Shoat

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on July 19, 2014, 06:41:53 pm
Steelers.... defense was too dominant.
/they were incredible.

In fact, this is why I didn't go with the 49ers.  Their D was very good, but not as good as the Steelers or the Cowboys.

The Pat's "Dynasty" is a joke compared to the others.
All Gas, No Brakes!

hawkhawg

Quote from: Deep Shoat on July 19, 2014, 06:40:28 pm

Not that the 9ers weren't a great team, but the other two were ridiculously good.

I'd also like ot point out that the 2nd best team in the 70' and 80's was Dallas.

No way are the cowboys the second best team of the 80's

Bubba's Bruisers

Which decade FB rules do we apply when comparing who would beat who in a matchup?
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

thefisher

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on July 19, 2014, 06:41:53 pm
Steelers.... defense was too dominant.

Agreed.  There were some very bad individuals on that squad!

[attachment deleted by admin]
I miss the smell of the mud, grass, and sweat of the practice field. I miss blood oozing down your arm from the rip in your skin that was slashed on a guys helmet as you punked him at the line of scrimmage and put his dobber in the dirt.

moehog

Steelers....8 members off that team is in the Hall of Fame - and they left out LC Greenwood.
"There is no hope for the satisfied man."

Deep Shoat

Quote from: hawkhawg on July 19, 2014, 07:04:36 pm
No way are the cowboys the second best team of the 80's
Maybe I should have said the first half of the 80's.

You are right, after Danny White retired they sucked for the rest of the 80's, which set them up for the 90's.
All Gas, No Brakes!

razorbacker3

HiggiePiggy

If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

Sweet Feet

Noooo. Redskins and raiders in the 80s. Even then, denver and miami was better in the 80s

Boardon Hamsay

New Zealand All Blacks....oh, wait , this isn't the rugby thread.
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.

SemperFi

The Steelers are a true dynasty. There have been some great teams thru the decades, but nobody has done it as consistently as the Steelers. Four superbowl wins in the 70's, two more in 2005 and 2008 and loses in 1996 and 2011. They've had 27 playoff appearances and 20 Division Championships. Nobody has done it better.
Some people wonder all their lives if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem. - Ronald Reagan

HiggiePiggy

The buffalo bills were pretty good in the 90s.   To make 4 straight superbowls is pretty impressive. 

Nuttcracker, Sweet!

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on July 19, 2014, 06:33:20 pm

When the 49ers won their first Super Bowl, Montana had Freddie Solomon (cast off by Miami), Charle Young (cast off by Seattle and others), Dwight Clark (12th round draft choice), and backs like Lenvil Elliott and Earl Cooper. Who?

In the 49ers 2nd Super Bowl in 1984-85, Montana had such stalwarts as Carl Monroe. Yes, Roger Craig was starting to emerge as a good back by then, but Montana's supporting cast in those first two SBs was hardly stellar as it was by the time they won their 3rd and 4th championships.

One of the great myths of all time in the NFL is that Joe Montana was always surrounded by great players while poor widdle Elway had a bunch of stiffs to work with. Go back and look at the stats from the 1981-82 49ers and see what a bunch of no names they were... Dwight Clark was the only household name in the bunch and he was a 12th round pick back when they had that many rounds meaning he would have been an undrafted free agent since the draft went to 7 rounds...
Making fun of Hootie since 2003

Big Papa Satan

Cowboys of the 90's.  They were hellish on both lines.

Iwastherein1969

the 1995 Dallas Cowboys, hell even Barry Switzer, the man who only knew how to recruit to run the wishbone offense coached this team to a Super Bowl Title....name one other team in the history of the Super Bowl, who, if made to have Barry Switzer coach them a full year would have still won the Super Bowl....yeah, your answer is correct, it is ZERO
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

HiggiePiggy

Barry probably could have coached one of the 49ner teams to a Super Bowl.  I think I remember an interview with him a long time ago where he said he didn't change a thing with the Dallas cowboy team that won. 

Inhogswetrust

If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

secfan30

Agreed 100%... Now if the Cowboys could just get back there.

hogcard1964

Steelers
Niners
Patriots
Packers
Cowboys

In that order

Hogwild

says what?

hogcard1964

The Redskins were the 2nd best team of the 80s.  Giants and/or Bears were 2nd and 3rd.

BPsTheMan

80's Bill Walsh would have eaten some 70's steel curtain for lunch, the curtain would have bitten back nicely several times, but Walsh and Co would be too much in the end 

defense does win championships, but this thread scenario dictates you take into consideration the evolution of offense under Walsh

hogcard1964

Quote from: BoomMuthaFusschamp on July 20, 2014, 01:02:41 pm
80's Bill Walsh would have eaten some 70's steel curtain for lunch, the curtain would have bitten back nicely several times, but Walsh and Co would be too much in the end 

defense does win championships, but this thread scenario dictates you take into consideration the evolution of offense under Walsh

I don't agree but is that Blagojevich in your avatars?

Bubba's Bruisers

Weren't the rules in the 70's significantly different than the 80's?

Sweet Feet

Quote from: hogcard1964 on July 20, 2014, 12:46:34 pm
The Redskins were the 2nd best team of the 80s.  Giants and/or Bears were 2nd and 3rd.
dont forget the raiders

hogcard1964

Big Poppa Z

1highhog

July 20, 2014, 06:05:03 pm #39 Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 08:16:38 pm by 1highhog
The 49er's, and running 2nd would be the Steelers, but their late 70's team with the Iron Curtain defense would have been no match for the Offense of the 49er's, plus, the niners also had a punishing defense.

Sweet Feet

BPsTheMan

pigture perfect

Steelers, I wasn't allowed to vote, but that is who it is. They have also never had an extended down time like the other teams mentioned. They are the premier organization from ownership on down. I'm a Packers fan so I'll say them next.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

Sweet Feet

My bad guys, somehow i hit lock voting. Polls are open now if you didn vote

Inhogswetrust

July 21, 2014, 06:24:06 am #44 Last Edit: July 21, 2014, 05:20:28 pm by Inhogswetrust

There is NOTHING in this thread to say you HAVE to consider offensive evolution. Besides I believe you are forgetting how many good ones were on the Steelers offense. You are like a lot others and more impressed with a certain "style" of offense more than anything else.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

thirrdegreetusker

I don't know about who would beat who. Can't compare eras, rules, roids, etc......

60s Packers were the best. In the space of eight seasons, played for all the marbles six times, winning five. Won three in a row.

Hogwild

Quote from: 1highhog on July 20, 2014, 06:05:03 pm
The 49er's, and running 2nd would be the Steelers, but their late 70's team with the Iron Curtain defense would have been no match for the Offense of the 49er's, plus, the niners also had a punishing defense.

I voted for the 49ers, people think of their offense and tend to forget how good of a defense the 49ers had.

NFL rank in defense (points allowed)
49ers Super Bowl seasons
'81- 2nd  '84- 7th  '89- 3rd  '90- 2nd

thirrdegreetusker

Quote from: SemperFi on July 19, 2014, 11:32:56 pm
The Steelers are a true dynasty. There have been some great teams thru the decades, but nobody has done it as consistently as the Steelers. Four superbowl wins in the 70's, two more in 2005 and 2008 and loses in 1996 and 2011. They've had 27 playoff appearances and 20 Division Championships. Nobody has done it better.

Yet, for some reason unfathomable to mortals, the Rooney family, after being in the football buisness for over 20 years, cut rookie Johnny Unitas. This is a guy who many think was the best all-time at his position.

Cut. Not waived. Not traded. Cut.

footballfan

Vince Lombardi won 5 championships in 7 years with the Greenbay Packers. From 1960-67 they won their division 6 times and finished 2nd the other two years. They were coached by perhaps the greatest football coach to ever live. And no one has mentioned them?

pigture perfect

I'm not surprised the Cowboy's are being mentioned so much. We are in the middle of Cowboy country.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"