Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Wallace at LT

Started by Hoot72, July 19, 2014, 06:14:25 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildhog

There's nothing strange about it at all.  Pretty much exactly what we expected.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

jbcarol

Quote from: Wildhog on August 06, 2014, 10:46:52 am
There's nothing strange about it at all.  Pretty much exactly what we expected.

Especially that he is playing right tackle.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

immahog

Quote from: twistitup on July 19, 2014, 08:07:41 pm
There is a simple explanation. I heard through the grapevine Wallace is slightly more uncommon than Skipper

WOW thats a mouth full
No lions No tigers No bears.....ImmaHog

havok

This early in Camp.. they may try guys and any Number of positions..just to get some stuff on film the coaches can evaluate in-depth.... 

They just may want to see him and his foot/hand work on the edge just to have an idea of how he handles it..so they know what areas they will want to increase instruction on..

bennyl08

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on August 06, 2014, 10:41:47 am
Tis early. Hadn't even been in pads yet. First scrimmage is tomorrow.

To reiterate - the starting Oline for the Auburn game is likely to have more veterans on it than the line might have by midseason.

Wallace will move up as fast as he can learn things. They're going to put together the best line that can execute and not screw up.

The starting Oline that was named after spring practices:

LT Skipper, LG Charpentier, C Smothers, RG Kirkland, RT Cook

That will be the starting Oline on Saturday + likely in Auburn too.

Second team:

LT Beck, LG Jefferson, C Ragnow, RG Tretola, RT Ollison

I wouldn't be surprised if Jefferson is manning the LG guard spot by the time we play Auburn. Other than that, I agree.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

razorbackkid

It is nice to have options and depth.  Been a while.
I would rather live as if there is a God and find out there isn't, than to live as if there isn't and find out there is.

twistitup

Quote from: razorbackkid on August 06, 2014, 12:40:10 pm
It is nice to have options and depth.  Been a while.

Would be sweet to have this at LB
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

onebadrubi

Quote from: ricepig on August 06, 2014, 10:46:10 am
Hey, if he gets to red shirt, it can only be good for us. But as was mentioned by Chaney, they put on the pads and play big boy football Friday.

If we are at a position to redshirt Wallace then holy cow!  Rice, I just don't see a redshirt on him this year barring a catastrophe like Reeve.

Country Stylz

How about Wallace at LT...Skipper at LG...Ragnow at Center..Kirkland at RG...Cook at RT

DoctorSusscrofa

Quote from: Country Stylz on August 06, 2014, 01:59:19 pm
How about Wallace at LT...Skipper at LG...Ragnow at Center..Kirkland at RG...Cook at RT

You're really ready for two freshmen and two sophomores on the starting line?  In my opinion, that doesn't happen this year.  We might see 2 sophomores and 1 freshman, but I don't see two of each.
Fan of Razorback Football, Baseball, Track, Gymnastics, Softball - M Barton

azhog10

Accoding to Pittman Wallace is working 3rd string RT. Not sure where the Democrat Gazette got their info.

twistitup

Quote from: azhog10 on August 06, 2014, 02:14:51 pm
Accoding to Pittman Wallace is working 3rd string RT. Not sure where the Democrat Gazette got their info.

From an uncommon source
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

onebadrubi

Quote from: Country Stylz on August 06, 2014, 01:59:19 pm

I know last year we saw freshman on BA's blind side, but I think we had no better options.  This year, I don't think we will see the freshman on the blindside. 

Country Stylz

Quote from: DoctorSusscrofa on August 06, 2014, 02:04:21 pm
You're really ready for two freshmen and two sophomores on the starting line?  In my opinion, that doesn't happen this year.  We might see 2 sophomores and 1 freshman, but I don't see two of each.
I think the two young guys may get in there as the year goes on. Hope not though. Hope the light comes on for Smothers during fall camp.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Hoot72 on July 19, 2014, 06:14:25 pm
Really interesting, that in the Democrat-Gazette article about Wallace and Watts this morning, it said that Wallace is working at left tackle.  I have to admit that I am stunned by that, and don't understand how that can be the long range plan.  UNLESS, they think that eventually (or quickly) that Wallace will be a better left tackle than Skipper, and plan on moving Skipper back to guard or right tackle.  Just sounded really strange to me.

Maybe I heard wrong, and that is certainly possible, but I thought Pittman said that Wallace was working the right side? If he is working the left side, that's good as well. As much as everyone loves Skipper, it seems that he might have Pass-Pro issues that he hasn't solved.

He's a big guy and playing blind side tackle against big, fast rushing DE's is different than playing OG inside where you sometimes get some help in Pass-Pro. The OT's on both sides are usually on an island from the standpoint of handling their man, unlike those on the inside.

If you don't have quick feet so that you can keep up with faster DE's and maintain your angle when they rush outside, or have quick enough feet to adjust when they start one way and then go another, you have a problem.

Not saying that this is a definite, just saying that may be an issue with Skipper. Big is great, but big without agility just makes you big, and not as athletic as you might need to be to successfully execute at that particular position in terms of pass protection.
Go Hogs Go!

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on August 06, 2014, 05:55:05 pm
Maybe I heard wrong, and that is certainly possible, but I thought Pittman said that Wallace was working the right side? If he is working the left side, that's good as well. As much as everyone loves Skipper, it seems that he might have Pass-Pro issues that he hasn't solved.

No - Everybody else reported that Beck is the second-team left tackle, and Wallace is third-team right tackle behind Ollison.
[CENSORED]!

Lake City Hog

Why is it that the "new" guy that has never played a down is the guy that "we will only have for 3 years anyway"? Why must every newcomer be label as a "day 1" starter?

I think that Kirkland and Skipper are going to be VERY good players for the University of Arkansas, will they be as good as some that have been in here in the past? Will they equal Shawn Andrews? Who knows! I know this, them being starters the last half of last season had absolutely no impact on wins.

Would we and them have been better served if they had redshirted? Personally, I would say yes. We would have 4 years starting this year. The same goes for Ragnow and Wallace.

Jefferson and Tretola are different stories, they need to play now! But, again I would rather have a kid that may not be quite as talented that is more familiar with the system on the field. Coming in late will make it harder for those 2 when it comes to learning the system and developing with the other O'Linemen.

Hog N Bama

Quote from: ImHogginIt on July 19, 2014, 11:05:37 pm
Skipper, Kirkland, Wallace, Ragnow, ect...  Can't wait til 2015, 16 when the pups are full grown men  :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: Patience people !
Our OL is going to look like a line of bulldozers