Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Wallace at LT

Started by Hoot72, July 19, 2014, 06:14:25 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hoot72

Really interesting, that in the Democrat-Gazette article about Wallace and Watts this morning, it said that Wallace is working at left tackle.  I have to admit that I am stunned by that, and don't understand how that can be the long range plan.  UNLESS, they think that eventually (or quickly) that Wallace will be a better left tackle than Skipper, and plan on moving Skipper back to guard or right tackle.  Just sounded really strange to me.

kodiakisland

I guess depth is something we're not used to here.

If Wallace redshirts this year, that puts two years between them.  If Skipper leaves early, Wallace will still have 3 years of playing left.  Plus, you still have to have depth at each position, and he hasn't played a single game yet so we really don't know how good he is or will be.
If gun control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome. http://heyjackass.com/

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: kodiakisland on July 19, 2014, 06:41:13 pm

If Wallace redshirts this year, that puts two years between them.  If Skipper leaves early, Wallace will still have 3 years of playing left.  Plus, you still have to have depth at each position, and he hasn't played a single game yet so we really don't know how good his is or will be.

Precisely.  And the concept of "depth" is deeper than just having a guy who can competently step in should the starter go down or leave the program.  True depth creates real competition at a given position, which is a huge deal, and a luxury this program hasn't really had in some time. 
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

twistitup

There is a simple explanation. I heard through the grapevine Wallace is slightly more uncommon than Skipper
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

OnTheHillHogFan

Quote from: kodiakisland on July 19, 2014, 06:41:13 pm

If Wallace redshirts this year, that puts two years between them.  If Skipper leaves early, Wallace will still have 3 years of playing left.  Plus, you still have to have depth at each position, and he hasn't played a single game yet so we really don't know how good he is or will be.
Wallace won't redshirt. I expect him to be a starter by the 5th or 6th game.
Quote from: JaketheSnake on November 07, 2012, 10:28:17 am
Shoot the Obama deer... the ones that come for the free corn.
Quote from: ReddieHawg on November 06, 2013, 09:38:24 am
Do you happen to have any rapping skills? I think we could set you up with DJ Khaled and you could make a song entitled, "All I Do Is Bitch"

Tick Hog

Quote from: Hoot72 on July 19, 2014, 06:14:25 pm
Really interesting, that in the Democrat-Gazette article about Wallace and Watts this morning, it said that Wallace is working at left tackle.  I have to admit that I am stunned by that, and don't understand how that can be the long range plan.  UNLESS, they think that eventually (or quickly) that Wallace will be a better left tackle than Skipper, and plan on moving Skipper back to guard or right tackle.  Just sounded really strange to me.
Wallace was prob the best athlete we have on the line the day he stepped on campus.

onebadrubi

I believe either coach or OC said Wallace is expected to play this year.  I'm shocked if his intentions are at LT.  I really like Kirkland and skipper on Brandon's blind side.  You better guarantee if they miss a block, they will have that DT off Brandon before te ref has the whistle blown. 

Although, some comments have been made that we will see Brandon rolling out much more this year.  Skipper may be playing on the right side a lot of sliding/pulling out to protect Brandon as he rolls out?  Just a thought maybe?

ImHogginIt

Bama wanted Wallace bad. Why so upset that he may start at some point this year ? Tells me we're recruiting a bunch of badasses on the OL.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: Tick Hog on July 19, 2014, 08:54:34 pm
Wallace was prob the best athlete we have on the line the day he stepped on campus.

I believe I heard CBB say he was best OL prospect he has had to chance to coach. If Wallace is 3/4 as good as Joe Thomas then we have got something good going.

longbore

It was not in Skippers best interest to play last year. Someone posted some Brandon Allen highlights from the Lafayette game a while back. Watch the left guard position and you will know why he played. Go and watch the left tackle play during the spring game and left guard all game long against South Carolina and repost. Skipper has loads of potential and even more desire. He was a kid playing against men last year. I respect the hell out of Dan Skipper for his effort.

ImHogginIt

Quote from: longbore on July 19, 2014, 11:01:48 pm
It was not in Skippers best interest to play last year. Someone posted some Brandon Allen highlights from the Lafayette game a while back. Watch the left guard position and you will know why he played. Go and watch the left tackle play during the spring game and left guard all game long against South Carolina and repost. Skipper has loads of potential and even more desire. He was a kid playing against men last year. I respect the hell out of Dan Skipper for his effort.

Skipper, Kirkland, Wallace, Ragnow, ect...  Can't wait til 2015, 16 when the pups are full grown men  :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: Patience people !

Bubba's Bruisers

What ever happened to Koehler?  He never gets mentioned anymore.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

longbore

Quote from: ImHogginIt on July 19, 2014, 11:05:37 pm
Skipper, Kirkland, Wallace, Ragnow, ect...  Can't wait til 2015, 16 when the pups are full grown men  :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: Patience people !
Exactly. The mentality is there.

onebadrubi

By that time we should have the OL running like a top.  A stud redshirt or two per year and reloading like a boss!  Lets hope we can pick up a bijon type DL guy each year and lets start to build outwards from these beast!  I'm enjoying watching it unfold. 

onebadrubi

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on July 19, 2014, 11:11:04 pm

I don't think anything has happened.  He had that injury and might could use another year.  He still has 4 more seasons to play.  So if he's what we have as build up to what could play as an upper classman, it should be exciting. 

ICEman

Quote from: twistitup on July 19, 2014, 08:07:41 pm
There is a simple explanation. I heard through the grapevine Wallace is slightly more uncommon than Skipper
I wonder how Bielema found out that Dale drove the word SPECIAL right into the ground while at the helm of the Razorbacks?
"College football is a sport that bears the same relation to education that bullfighting does to agriculture."

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: onebadrubi on July 20, 2014, 12:04:53 am
I don't think anything has happened.  He had that injury and might could use another year.  He still has 4 more seasons to play.  So if he's what we have as build up to what could play as an upper classman, it should be exciting. 

I agree, he was so highly recruited I assume he will break through at some point

farmhawg

Quote from: ImHogginIt on July 19, 2014, 10:50:05 pm
Bama wanted Wallace bad. Why so upset that he may start at some point this year ? Tells me we're recruiting a bunch of badasses on the OL.
This is the best thing about this staff.
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

bphi11ips

Remember Brey Cook?  Rivals 12th ranked tackle in 2011.  Watch his video stickied above.  Some here would say he has underachieved, but it takes four years to get from 18 to 22.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

IntegrityHog

That's right!  Coach B is building a winner, he just needs a little time.

Choctaw Hog

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on July 19, 2014, 11:11:04 pm

Although some on here anointed him an ALL SEC/All American based solely on his star ranking and offer list coming out of high school, his lofty ranking has yet to equate to performance on the field for a variety of reasons.

However, he is still has ample time to make a solid contribution to the team and time will tell.

Hoggish1

Quote from: Choctaw Hog on July 20, 2014, 10:47:53 am
Although some on here anointed him an ALL SEC/All American based solely on his star ranking and offer list coming out of high school, his lofty ranking has yet to equate to performance on the field for a variety of reasons.

However, he is still has ample time to make a solid contribution to the team and time will tell.

True and we should not forget he had a difficult knee cap injury.  Patience is needed by our fans since stars are moot when you can't play...

HogFanatic

I'm not trying to question the coaches here, as they obviously know a ton more about the sport than I do, but can someone explain to me why Skipper is on the offensive line and not the defensive line?

I can't understand it. I mean, if that's where he is best, that's where he is best. But didn't he block two kicks last year on the Dline?

How many passes could that guy bat down?

It just seems to me that on offense, OUR quarterback has to throw over the giant. On defense, THEIR quarterback has to throw over the giant.

Maybe Wallace is getting work at left tackle because they're contemplating moving Skipper to the Dline?

Prestworthy

Quote from: Ashley Schaeffer on July 20, 2014, 11:47:52 am
I'm not trying to question the coaches here, as they obviously know a ton more about the sport than I do, but can someone explain to me why Skipper is on the offensive line and not the defensive line?

I can't understand it. I mean, if that's where he is best, that's where he is best. But didn't he block two kicks last year on the Dline?

It just seems to me that on offense, OUR quarterback has to throw over the giant. On defense, THEIR quarterback has to throw over the giant.

Maybe Wallace is getting work at left tackle because they're contemplating moving Skipper to the Dline?
Actually I think he blocked 3! But Sam Pittman had him starting as a true freshman at guard and tackle.  I think he was built for the OL.

ldfergu

Quote from: Ashley Schaeffer on July 20, 2014, 11:47:52 am

The dudes 6'10".  6' friggin 10".  I'm doubting he has the quickness to play D-line.  On the contrary, he has the size and wingspan to contain the guys on the opposite side and give quality protection to our QB, and that can't be undervalued.

His special teams play is very helpful but I think he's best suited for O-line.  I know its been discussed about him going back and forth from tackle to guard and I trust where the coaches put him.  Just seems like he'd be better at tackle, IMO

HogFanatic

Quote from: StoneTemplePiglets on July 20, 2014, 11:55:46 am
The dudes 6'10".  6' friggin 10".  I'm doubting he has the quickness to play D-line.  On the contrary, he has the size and wingspan to contain the guys on the opposite side and give quality protection to our QB, and that can't be undervalued.

His special teams play is very helpful but I think he's best suited for O-line.  I know its been discussed about him going back and forth from tackle to guard and I trust where the coaches put him.  Just seems like he'd be better at tackle, IMO

You may be right. Like I said, I'm not questioning the coaches here, just trying to understand it. I've seen this dude up close and personal, and he seems like a stud. Not only is he huge, but he is built like a damn athlete, not just some big guy. And from everything I've heard from practice reports and whatnot, he has great quickness and agility.

Maybe it's just not enough. Either way, it still seems like he would be a lot to handle on the defensive line. Not only from a blocking perspective, but as a wall that most quarterbacks simply cannot see over the top of.

Biggus Piggus

Wallace might be the best left tackle on the team, eventually. Skipper has some pass protection issues at LT. He can play LG with much less difficulty. The choice is either LT-Skipper LG-Wallace, or the other way around. Far from decided.
[CENSORED]!

Oklahawg

I anticipate a lot of jiggering of the names and positions between now and October. Getting the best five on the field at once, and then getting the backside LT and OC spots manned ably...two high priorities but very doable.

Get that figured out early (gosh, dare I suggest that we get "lucky" and the opening 5 winds up being the right unit?) and we will win at least one game folks aren't counting on.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

nwahogfan1

Quote from: longbore on July 19, 2014, 11:01:48 pm

I heard the same thing.  Skipper played because of heart last year.  Kid loves to compete.  Talent was there but he should have RS last year to get thicker and stronger.  I think he will start this year on a  better OL because he is bigger and stronger and much better over last year.

BatesvilleHOG

From what I hear, Brian is a pure blooded LT, and has the better footwork out of the two. Big Dan has the mean streak to make up for it tho. I can see where his 6' 10" legs can be a downfall. Skipper can do at LT until Wallace is ready but I believe Brey Cook has Skippers position.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: Choctaw Hog on July 20, 2014, 10:47:53 am

Yet, we're already anointing Wallace and Ragnow, which is essentially my point. neither has lived up to anything yet either.  Plus Koehler's been injured, which has prevented him from living up to lofty rankings.  I doubt his talent has dropped off since arriving in Fayetteville.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: BatesvilleHOG on July 20, 2014, 02:12:26 pm
From what I hear, Brian is a pure blooded LT, and has the better footwork out of the two. Big Dan has the mean streak to make up for it tho. I can see where his 6' 10" legs can be a downfall. Skipper can do at LT until Wallace is ready but I believe Brey Cook has Skippers position.

I think some national people believed Wallace was the best, and most pure weakside tackle in the nation.  I think it's why Bama coveted him so.  Tremendous potential with that young man.

ricepig

Quote from: BatesvilleHOG on July 20, 2014, 02:12:26 pm

He may be, but he's only played RT so far in high school.

pigture perfect

I love it. This depth at OL will make us contenders in games people are already counting us out of.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: ricepig on July 20, 2014, 02:20:39 pm

An dat dere is a good reason why he's working at LT now.
[CENSORED]!

Theolesnort

Skipper is our left tackle but he could go down at any time and it would be nice to have a OK replacement. That is why Wallace is practicing there. Wallace could be groomed for just in case but play a lot somewhere else too.
There's Nuttin in the world worth a solitary dime cept Old dogs and children and watermelon wine.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: Theolesnort on July 20, 2014, 05:24:41 pm
Skipper is our left tackle but he could go down at any time and it would be nice to have a OK replacement. That is why Wallace is practicing there. Wallace could be groomed for just in case but play a lot somewhere else too.

And it's also to create real competition at the position.  All starters need to be pushed.

chitwnhog

Quote from: Theolesnort on July 20, 2014, 05:24:41 pm

And the NFL likes linemen who can play multiple positions.

acey33

Skipper has something that Wallace doesn't have and that is 1 yr. of SEC Exp. behind him. So we have a Fr.Wallace is adding depth and he gets his feet wet this yr. Skipper at LT and Cook at RT makes sense to me. After this year Cook is gone and we move Skipper or Wallace to RT. CBB and Pittman know what's best for the team so the future is looking good on the OL with the guys we got coming in...WPS

Prestworthy

I didn't know Wallace was ranked the #2 tackle in the country. Wow. Given the praise he has gotten from CBB, I'd expect to see him starting very soon.

AugustaHog

What I think is crazy about this whole thing is that CBB continues to rave about how great these guys are as they are walking on campus.  That's pretty impressive when you consider some of the studs he coached at Wisconsin.  There is no denying how strong/technically sound those OL were, but I think he is now getting kids (Skipper, Wallace, Kirkland, etc) that are more athletic than what he's used to.  If we develop that same technical ability that his guys at UW had, we are going to really tough to stop.  Add Sam Pittman to the mix and I think our OL is destined to be dang good really soon.

secneahog

Cook said at Sec media days that Wallace has the quickest feet he's ever seen.

A lot of praise his way.
Remix MMA.  Alan "the talent" Belcher - Born_Imboden Arkansas- Next 185 UFC Champ!

GuvHog

Quote from: ricepig on July 20, 2014, 02:20:39 pm

True, but his size makes me think of a retired Cowboy DE named Ed "Too Tall" Jones.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

AugustaHog

If we can just get some consistency out of our passing game, we will be able to road grade some people.  We don't have to be outstanding through the air, just enough to keep em honest.  I am excited to see guys like Skipper, Kirkland, Wallace, and Brey getting to that next level and just plowing guys.

secneahog

Quote from: AugustaHog on July 21, 2014, 11:36:14 am
If we can just get some consistency out of our passing game, we will be able to road grade some people.  We don't have to be outstanding through the air, just enough to keep em honest.  I am excited to see guys like Skipper, Kirkland, Wallace, and Brey getting to that next level and just plowing guys.

Cook also said Ragnow has a intensity like no other.
Remix MMA.  Alan "the talent" Belcher - Born_Imboden Arkansas- Next 185 UFC Champ!

ricepig

Quote from: GuvHog on July 21, 2014, 11:35:14 am
True, but his size makes me think of a retired Cowboy DE named Ed "Too Tall" Jones.

Wallace does?

PygmalionEffect

Quote from: secneahog on July 21, 2014, 12:01:44 pm
Cook also said Ragnow has a intensity like no other.

I thought he mentioned his intelligence as being off the charts for a freshman as well.
Pygmalion Effect - The phenomenon in which the greater the expectation placed upon people, the better they perform.

jbcarol

Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

Biggus Piggus

Tis early. Hadn't even been in pads yet. First scrimmage is tomorrow.

To reiterate - the starting Oline for the Auburn game is likely to have more veterans on it than the line might have by midseason.

Wallace will move up as fast as he can learn things. They're going to put together the best line that can execute and not screw up.

The starting Oline that was named after spring practices:

LT Skipper, LG Charpentier, C Smothers, RG Kirkland, RT Cook

That will be the starting Oline on Saturday + likely in Auburn too.

Second team:

LT Beck, LG Jefferson, C Ragnow, RG Tretola, RT Ollison
[CENSORED]!

ricepig

Hey, if he gets to red shirt, it can only be good for us. But as was mentioned by Chaney, they put on the pads and play big boy football Friday.