Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Favorite or best, Arkansas QB?

Started by DLUXHOG, July 19, 2014, 06:07:03 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: pigture perfect on July 19, 2014, 10:43:03 pm
MAtt Jones was the most exciting QB we've ever had. I always felt like we had a chance with him under center.

I always felt like something bad was going to happen with him under center.  The guy cost us as many games as he won us. 
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

SPAL

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on July 19, 2014, 11:32:06 pm
I always felt like something bad was going to happen with him under center.  The guy cost us as many games as he won us. 

I don't know about him losing us games....but still to this day , I've never felt as gut punched as I did when he put the ball on the ground against Texas In arguably the best home atmosphere ever in dwrrs. I was in the SEC row 20 right down the middle of the post and I watched it unfold. It was the worst I've felt in my life in regards to a sporting event.

I know the unmentionable moment against UT should trump it, but I watched it on TV. I felt the emotion of that stadium when Matt fumbled.

dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya

Favorite:  Grovey

Best:  Mallett
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

R.I.P. notshavintilnuttgo 12/11/07

greenie

Was in school in the early 80's, so Brad Taylor is right up there for me...but that's mostly sentimental.  Mallet is probably the best pure quarterback in the last 30 years.  Jones clearly the best athlete.  Hard to compare those guys to Ferguson, Montgomery, and Calcagni who were definitely studs in their day.

DThog90

https://ct.yimg.com/mr//IMAGES/Player/photo/YMATTJONES.JPG

Matt Jones was no QB... He was an excellent improv player. He was too talented not to give him the ball every play. With ALOT of help from Dowdell Loggains he became a "serviceable" QB. Matt Jones is however sitting at my all time favorite #2 spot. But if you watch game tape Matt spent a lot of time with loggains in his ear. That short little man helped Matt out a lot because Matt was never one to do his homework. My all time favorite is Ryan Mallet. He was brilliant. On the field. He could see the field so well and just had a way of finding an open man 40+ yds down field in stride. He made me cringe sometimes when he would throw a 100 mph fastball at a receiver on a short crossing route. You know those balls stung... He could change a game with the flip of his wrist. He's the most talent the U of A has ever seen at QB.

hoghearted

It really is this simple. Unchecked government power leads to corruption, and lack of accountability for it is drastically eroding confidence in our institutions.    aristotle

RazorWild

Jones and Mallet for me.  We forget how Jones could take a game over on his own.  I do have a spot for Wilson though.  I'll never forget the beating he took in T-town that day.  He was all Hog

bphi11ips

Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: steefhog on July 19, 2014, 06:33:19 pm
1. Ferguson
2. Montgomery
3. Calcagni
4. Mallett

I can live with this list.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

Dirty

I was going say Peanut Adams but I will go with Matt Jones.

hog.goblin

5. Grovey
4. Lunney
3. Jones
2. Mallett
1. Ferguson

Those are my favorites.  Lunney makes the list for making me think we could compete in the SEC.  Good times.

Exit Pursued by a Boar

TrueBlue

Kevin Scanlon would have received more credit if he was here a few more years and started more than one year. The dude had a great arm and broke all of Joe Namath's high school records at Beaver Falls. In his only year, he led us to the Sugar Bowl against national champion Alabama (by Bear Bryant) and a #6 ranking...He would have been a perfect QB in CBB system.

He started his college career at NC State and basically followed Holtz here. (After Holtz took a very brief detour via the Jets!)

Cinco de Hogo

Best-Mallett
Favorite-Matt Jones
Honorable mention-Grovey

Hawk

Bill Montgomery
Joe Ferguson

By far!

LZH

Quote from: greghog on July 19, 2014, 10:03:51 pm
Ron Calcagni.  I think 1977 was my favorite year as a Hog fan (since I was too young to remember 1964)

Watching old  video, clearly Ron was not the most talented QB we ever had, but he was fun to watch and that team was fun to watch.

Runner up, Brad Taylor in Hatfield's first year.  He was NO wishbone QB, but it was fun to see him run it and then pull the ball back to pass it.  My favorite play was a fake triple option, (fake to the fullback, run down the line like he was going to either keep it or pitch it to the trailing back) and about the time he got to the tackle, back up about 2 or 3 yards and pass the ball.  The defense would get sucked in by the "triple option" and the receivers would get wide open.  I don't think Hatfield ever used that play again (maybe he did and I just don't recall it).  I know the other QB's he had later were better "real" triple option QB's, but it still was a great play.

That was the first full year (1977) that I remember watching the Razorbacks (when they were on TV) and the SMU game that year was my first to attend. 

And the triple option may have run it's course by then, but Hatfield's crew was always fun to watch when they had it going.

Is anyone on here old enough to remember back past the 1964 team?

Mike Irwin

Most QBs, no matter how talented, are heavily dependent on the people around them. Matt Jones could create magic out of nothing. He didn't really care much for football and he didn't put much effort into it off the playing field but when he was motivated to play you could not beat him.

GuvHog

My favorite??? Ryan Mallett

The best overall Hog QB???    Joe Ferguson....no doubt about it.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Mike Irwin

Quote from: GuvHog on July 20, 2014, 12:59:35 pm
My favorite??? Ryan Mallett

The best overall Hog QB???    Joe Ferguson....no doubt about it.
Ferguson had the best pro career but his time at Arkansas was underwhelming. He got benched toward the end of his senior year. I was in the US Army when this was happening but I was told that Ferguson got caught in one of those polar shifts Frank Broyles was known for. You know, We gotta throw it. No we gotta run it.

King TUSKankahamun

Best-Mallet/Jones

Favorite- can't argue with Wilson. Toughest QB I've ever watched play. To this day I haven't heard a negative about his behavior or the way he represented the university. Taking all those hits in 12 just proves how much of a team player he was. He layed his body on the line to complete the pass one out of every 3 plays. I wish he would make it in the league
Self proclaimed dead King of Hogville

ricepig

Quote from: Mike Irwin on July 20, 2014, 01:07:35 pm
Ferguson had the best pro career but his time at Arkansas was underwhelming. He got benched toward the end of his senior year. I was in the US Army when this was happening but I was told that Ferguson got caught in one of those polar shifts Frank Broyles was known for. You know, We gotta throw it. No we gotta run it.

Yeah, Joe wasn't much in the option.

Hawgey-Davidson

Best- Ryan Mallett
Fav-- Matt Jones
TBD--Rafe Peavey/Ty Storey

passinghog

Mallett.
Looking back on it, his leadership was undervalued. I don't think the letdown of the 2012 season happens with him under center. He wasn't out there trying to prove his toughness and he actually instilled confidence in the players around him. Cocky? Call it what you want. But a lot of the optimism following the 2008 season was because the way the team Mallett took charge in practice the year he sat out. Players knew.

three hog night

1. Mallett- best arm and cocky swagger
2. Wilson- best all around QB we have had in modern history, had a great arm, could scramble, and could throw on the run exceptionally well.  Tough as a hickory nut as Ken Hatfield would say.
3. Stoerner- A great leader, good arm, and decent wheels
4. Barry Lunney Jr.- He had a cocky swagger, and a good all around QB as we came into the SEC.  He didn't have much to work with around him until his SR year.
5. Quinn Grovey- he developed a good arm his last 2 years.  His leadership and legs were great.
Petrino left a mess and Bielema is trying to fill in the talent gaps.  Anderson finally has some talent to work with.  He needs more at select positions and that will come in the next recruiting class. 
Posters that think they are Jim Rhome are ruining message boards.

RazorWild

Was there ever a better moment for a backup QB than when Wilson came in for Mallet against Auburn and started dropping dimes?  Hated the calls in the game, but people here in MS talked about it all week.  Everyone said we got screwed.

RazorWild

Also,  Jones against Texas in Austin.  Mallet against LSU in the Rock.  Prolly my 2 favorite hog games ever.

alohawg

Mallett is the most talented.
Jones was the most exciting.
Wilson the toughest.
Dick the best climax to a career in recent times.
"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️
https://t.me/covidbc

panhandlepig

We have had some good ones. I liked them all for different reasons...and it would be tough to pick a favorite. I hope to add a new favorite. I hope Brandon Allen is my favorite Quarterback this year...GO HOGs and GO Brandon...prove all the naysayers wrong.

Big Poppa Z

Quinn Grovey is my favorite. Short of big time arm strength or height, he had innumerable other qualities that generated wins.

published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

hvsupastar

McFadden in the wild cat for me. He was definitely the most effective we ever had :)
"Do not believe everything you read on the internet just because it has quotations next to the image of someone prominent" - Abraham Lincoln

Jamie Jones

Quote from: The Big Easy on July 19, 2014, 09:03:10 pm
Is this a joke?
No, it wasn't a joke. I was born in 71' so I don't remember the greats prior to about 77'. I would also add that Tyler Wilson was probably the toughest qb that I've ever seen in a Hog uniform. But he had enough talent around him, his senior year, to overcome and win a few more games than he did. That's JMO, but it kept him off my top five. Not that I am anyone that matters, just the way I see it. And yes, I'm aware that he was injured against ULM.
I'm a Hog fan. I never chant S-E-C! I hate all the other members.

Jamie Jones

I would like to know some opinions on who you all think is the top qb that Hootie failed to develop. I can name three off the top of my head...Gary Brashears, Mitch Mustain, and Jared McBride. And don't get me started on Casey Dick or Tavaris Jackson.

Quote from: Jamie Jones on July 20, 2014, 05:43:47 pm
I would like to know some opinions on who you all think is the top qb that Hootie failed to develop. I can name three off the top of my head...Gary Brashears, Mitch Mustain, and Jared McBride. And don't get me started on the Casey Dick or Tavaris Jackson.

Mitch had it all, plus that winner's X factor....and as a TRUE Freshman.  The drive the length of the field to score when we were getting killed by USC, that throw to beat Alabama in OT.  Who knows what could have been...

Tavaris obviously had some talent, also.  I'd say pretty much anyone he got a hold of after Stoerner.

hoglady

Torn between Mallet and Stoerner.
Loved them both
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

Big Poppa Z

Quote from: Jamie Jones on July 20, 2014, 05:43:47 pm
I would like to know some opinions on who you all think is the top qb that Hootie failed to develop. I can name three off the top of my head...Gary Brashears, Mitch Mustain, and Jared McBride. And don't get me started on Casey Dick or Tavaris Jackson.

I officiated multiple HS game's in AR, years ago, featuring two of these players.

Nobody was going to "develop" Brashears, he was shaky in the pocket from early high school.  Mustain proved on two campuses that he was a college mirage.

Dick is underrated and Jackson wasn't mentally prepared for a D1 school.

Just my opinion.

LZH

BOAR_N2BWILD

John Rutledge- the Intramural QB that was the closest thing we have had to a RUDY moment. haha

RUDY RUDY RUDY
Phil. 4:13 "I can do all things through Him, who gives me strength."

Jamie Jones

Quote from: Zeke__in__KC on July 20, 2014, 05:51:29 pm
I officiated multiple HS game's in AR, years ago, featuring two of these players.

Nobody was going to "develop" Brashears, he was shaky in the pocket from early high school.  Mustain proved on two campuses that he was a college mirage.

Dick is underrated and Jackson wasn't mentally prepared for a D1 school.

Just my opinion.
Well let me see...Dick was ranked the number 2 qb in Texas, behind only Chase Daniels by Rivals, his senior year. Brashears, while needing to be grounded (Nutt should have gone into the people helpin' business sooner), was recruited, as an All America qb, by Miami, Florida State, Tennessee, and countless others. McBride, at the time of graduation, held most of the high school passing records in the state of Arkansas. And Mustain was the TOP high school player in the country coming out of high school. So...

ricepig

Quote from: The Big Easy on July 20, 2014, 07:01:40 pm
He was the end of Joe Ferguson, Joe showed that he could coach up a QB in three days better than Nutt could in three years.

Well, you and I could have done better than Dale.

woodhog14

Pigdiana Jones

"In the East, college football is a cultural exercise.

On the West Coast, it is a tourist attraction.

In the Midwest, it is cannibalism.

But in the South, college football is a religion, and every Saturday is a holy day."

moehog

Ferguson is favorite.
Mallet best passer
Jones was a freak, best runner
I also liked Scott Bull, Grovey and Calcagni
I can't get over "the fumble" for Stoerner
Props to the guy who came out of the band and played for us, can't remember his name.
"There is no hope for the satisfied man."

Augustus

I think Mallett was the best we've had, but Grovey is my favorite with Calcagni at a very close second.

Tyler is my 3rd, just because of his toughness and (seemed to me) his dedication & heart during a very rough time

JONAS

The best to me was Ryan Mallett.  My favorite is between Matt Jones and Quinn Grovey.  I cannot decide between the two .

justmakeit2thebcs

MJ divided the team, didn't practice and was the worst leader in the history of QB's.  Other than that he was pretty good.  He was 20% of Johnny football.

Razorback_Mack

Favorite
1. Tyler Wilson
2. Matt Jones
3. Clint Stoerner

Best
1. Ryan Mallett (Alabama and OSU in 2010 leave a bitter taste though)
2. Joe Ferguson
3. Bill Montgomery and Clint Stoerner

Deep Shoat

All Gas, No Brakes!

root_hawg