Previous topic - Next topic

Steef

Quote from: moehog on July 20, 2014, 09:20:04 pm
Ferguson is favorite.
Mallet best passer
Jones was a freak, best runner
I also liked Scott Bull, Grovey and Calcagni
I can't get over "the fumble" for Stoerner
Props to the guy who came out of the band and played for us, can't remember his name.

Agree about Joe. He was a great QB whose head coach did not like the forward pass.

Mallett was a great passer with great receivers and a great play calling coach. But not a well rounded leader.

Jones was like Tebow. A big running back who could sort of pass.

Montgomery was like Montana. Didn't do anything great, but did everything well. And the tighter the game, the better he played.

Calcagni and Sales were the weapons that won our greatest victory. Along with the best defense we ever had. That game is pure Hog joy.

Three thing lost the Tenner game in 98. And none of them were Clint.
Nutt cowardice, changing to "play not to lose" at halftime.
Tenner unleashed Thomas in the 2nd half and he was unstoppable.
The ground cannot cause a fumble.

Casey Dick may have been the finest MAN we ever had at QB.

Tyler Wilson was undoubtedly the bravest QB we ever had. It was a sure bet the Oline was gonna let him get pummeled ever game & he still suited up. But his great receivers made him look better than he was. Sad but true.

Tusks

Mallett & Montgomery. I wore #10 in LLFB because of Bill M.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

hogcard1964

Pork Twain

Toughness: Tyler or Clint

Ability to make all the throws: Clint

Best arm: Ryan

Least Mobility: Ryan

Most Mobility: Matt

I cannot speak to guys before my time.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

thirrdegreetusker

Not sure it is fair, but QBs are rated largely on winning. So, Grovey, hands down. Won two conference titles. No other Hog QB in the modern era can say that.

rickm1976

Most effective and best athlete: Matt Jones.
Most talented:  Joe Ferguson, with Mallet a close second.
Best leader and most competitive:  Montgomery hands down.

Steef

Quote from: rickm1976 on July 21, 2014, 11:05:43 am

All these youngsters, need to find some game film of the Montgomery years.

:)

Razorback_Mack

Quote from: steefhog on July 21, 2014, 11:16:20 am

I was born in 84 but my dad never quit telling me about 3 hogs.

Bill Montgomery
Chuck Dicus
Bill Burnet 

Steef

Quote from: The Big Easy on July 21, 2014, 01:58:32 pm
Britman, he was better than Montgomery

You talking about John Brittenum? I don't remember a Britman. Sorry.

Quote from: Razorback_Mack on July 21, 2014, 02:10:00 pm
I was born in 84 but my dad never quit telling me about 3 hogs.

Bill Montgomery
Chuck Dicus
Bill Burnet 

Your dad is a wise man.

WhewPig

Quote from: RazorWild on July 20, 2014, 02:49:01 pm
Was there ever a better moment for a backup QB than when Wilson came in for Mallet against Auburn and started dropping dimes?  Hated the calls in the game, but people here in MS talked about it all week.  Everyone said we got screwed.
Here's a link to his highlights from that game

http://youtu.be/0BlUNnThoTQ. He stepped up in a big way that game.

thirrdegreetusker

Quote from: The Big Easy on July 21, 2014, 02:32:14 pm
That is him, QB of 64,65,66. Most likely the best we ever had, he did not get you beat and was a winner

Press guide says Brittenum did not letter in '64. Must have been hurt. Fred Marshall was the NC QB.

jusgtohogs

jusgtohogs

Quote from: rickm1976 on July 21, 2014, 11:05:43 am

The only part of this I would argue with is "most effective", but that's just my perspective.

Justifiable Hogicide

rickm1976

Quote from: steefhog on July 21, 2014, 11:16:20 am

I sure miss those days.

thirrdegreetusker

Quote from: Justifiable Hogicide on July 21, 2014, 03:08:56 pm
Bill Montgomery

Ol' Bill was real, real good. But, like Mallett, he threw a fourth quarter int in THE game we HAD to have, so..........

SamBuckhart

Matt Jones and Ryan Mallett. Quinn Grovey was fun to watch.
BE TRUE TO YOUR SCHOOL. THE UNIVERSITY OF ARKANSAS!!!  WOOO PIG!!!

bolo

R.I.P OTR
R.I.P PRJ
2023 March Maddest Champion with a little help from my friends

WayneHawg

Matt Jones, not so much for the arm! But he could sure break down a defense with his running, Mr excitement !

Cinco de Hogo

If you needs a reason for watching a game that you had absolutely no chance of winning Matt Jones was all the reason you needed.  In that sense he was the best, he WAS the reason we filled up the stadium after the expansion when before we couldn't fill up 52,000.

Dr. Starcs

Sad to say I had never heard of John Brittenum till today. Has he just been overlooked or has he been celebrated by the university along with the other greats from our past?

**Nm, just may have found my answer.

redeye

Quote from: DLUXHOG on July 19, 2014, 06:07:03 pm
Mallet gets my vote....  What do ya'll say?

I'm also going to say Mallett, because I'd always wanted a QB with a great arm and accuracy.  I wasn't crazy about Mallett's personality, but loved his ability.

Matt Jones was more incredible then Mallett, but he wasn't the passing QB I'd long wanted.  If he'd played for a different coach, I probably would have enjoyed him even more, although much of his legacy was his ability to turn nothing into something and he wouldn't have had as many opportunities with another coach.

Magic_Hogg

Matt Jones for me because he was so exciting to watch.  I've always felt that he could have been developed better into something even more potent.  Hootin' just does not have a record of developing QB talent - but what do I know.

VBHOG

Quote from: steefhog on July 21, 2014, 02:14:30 pm
You talking about John Brittenum? I don't remember a Britman. Sorry.

Your dad is a wise man.

Jon.  ;)

Hoggish1

Quote from: fourpeat on July 19, 2014, 06:19:30 pm
joe ferguson

Can't argue there—great track record, but Mallett, when he finally gets his chance, could be a sensation...

coastalrazorback

I was born in 85, so in my lifetime:
Favorite - Matt Jones, Best- Ryan Mallett

Birminghog

Joe Fergessen. His only problem was that he threw the ball so hard that his receivers sometimes couldn't hang onto it.

mlloyd4

Quote from: rhog1 on July 19, 2014, 09:32:33 pm
Matt Jones is my favorite Razorback of all time. Ryan Mallett is the most talented QB we have ever had.

This
WPS

HogFanatic

I still maintain that with a better coach, Jones would have shattered records at Arkansas. He could throw the ball when he wanted to. He just needed a coach that kept him wanting to. If Matt Jones had played for Bobby Petrino he probably would have been the first selection in the NFL draft.

He was the original Vince Young. And better.

GalaHawg

Matt Jones - OM and Bama overtime wins and the Miracle on Markham did it for me.

jgphillips3

Best: Mallett
Most exciting: Matt Jones
Best ever based only on NFL: Joe Ferguson

Steef

thirrdegreetusker

Q: Which Hog QB was picked highest in the NFL draft?

A: Lamar McHan   Round 1    Pick 2        1954

In 1959, lost his starting job due to knee injury. When finally healthy, was unable to beat out his replacement, HOFer Bart Starr.

RedSkiesAtNightHog

Quote from: WilsonHog on July 19, 2014, 06:23:57 pm
Best arm? Ryan Mallett.

Greatest runner? Matt Jones.

Pure winner? Ron Calcagni.

I like this post and I agree.  However, Matt Jones might rival Ron Calcagni in the pure winner category.  I think back on the 7 overtime wins over Ole Miss and Kentucky.  I also remember Matt Jones beating Texas and Alabama on the road in the same year!  He found a way to win!  The Alabama game was a tremendous comeback in the rain.  I was there! 

rusvegashog

On a personal level Casey Dick is one of my favorite Razorback's. I have a lot of respect for him and he was a tough tough kid. Matt Jones was the most exciting to watch.

bollweevil

I tend to like winners over guys with big stats. Give me:
1. Fred Marshall (11-0, national champs, Cotton Bowl MVP)
2. Jon Brittenum (10-1 in '65, 8-2 in '66; if not for a separated shoulder in the Cotton Bowl, might have guided Hogs to second NC in a row)
3. Ron Calcagni (11-1, Orange Bowl win, No. 3 in nation)
4. Billy Moore (Cotton Bowl, two Sugar Bowls, and only Hog qb ever named to an All-America team)
5. Scott Bull (not pretty, but all he did was win. Hogs 31-10 over Georgia in Cotton Bowl)

dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya

Quote from: bollweevil on July 22, 2014, 05:04:45 pm
2. Jon Brittenum (10-1 in '65, 8-2 in '66; if not for a separated shoulder in the Cotton Bowl, might have guided Hogs to second NC in a row)
4. Billy Moore (Cotton Bowl, two Sugar Bowls, and only Hog qb ever named to an All-America team)
5. Scott Bull (not pretty, but all he did was win. Hogs 31-10 over Georgia in Cotton Bowl)

To be fair, Mitch Mustain should be on that list then.
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

R.I.P. notshavintilnuttgo 12/11/07

RoyInSpringdale/MizzouFan

As an outsider living in NWA for 10 yrs now, I think Casey Dick deserves a lot of respect. The kid quietly went about his business during the firestorm involving Nutt, Gus, and Mustain. He handled himself with a lot of class and poise during a very difficult period for the Hogs.

MJ2

Quote from: pigture perfect on July 19, 2014, 10:43:03 pm
MAtt Jones was the most exciting QB we've ever had. I always felt like we had a chance with him under center.

This sums it up.

MJ2

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on July 19, 2014, 11:32:06 pm
I always felt like something bad was going to happen with him under center.  The guy cost us as many games as he won us. 

I hate to divert your anger with some facts, but here they are-
MJ career stats

Passing att  795 with 417 completions and 53 TD's and 30 INT's and a Rating of 136.    That's a VERY good TD to INT ratio.

382 attempts with a 6.6 rushing avg and lost a total of 7 fumbles.

When you consider a QB touches the ball every play, his 37 turnovers is phenomenally low.    Compare this with ANY other QB or RB and see where it stacks up.

Oh, and he is currently 4th all time in the SEC with 7.4 Yards per play which means if he was in the play, you got 7.4 yards.
Lastly, I'm not sure you can legitimatley say he "lost" any games for the Hogs - even the fumble vs Tex was after he had kept us in the game vs a national power.   Without doing a formal count, I would venture to say that in his 4 years he "won" at least 12 games for us with his abilities.

Cinco de Hogo

thirrdegreetusker

Quote from: bollweevil on July 22, 2014, 05:04:45 pm

Then add Quinn  Grovey. TWO conference championships, which is double anyone else on the list.

WardamnHOGGLE

immahog

mallett.... but his final play as a hog still hurts
No lions No tigers No bears.....ImmaHog

Tejas_Pete

Mallett and it's not even close.

Tejas_Pete

Quote from: RoyInSpringdale/MizzouFan on July 23, 2014, 05:44:32 am
As an outsider living in NWA for 10 yrs now, I think Casey Dick deserves a lot of respect. The kid quietly went about his business during the firestorm involving Nutt, Gus, and Mustain. He handled himself with a lot of class and poise during a very difficult period for the Hogs.

Matt Jones, Ryan Mallett, Tyler Wilson and you bring up Casey Dick? Not sure if serious.

hogwild6700

Best
Ryan Mallett

Favorite
Matt Jones
Clint Stoerner
Two little mice fell in a bucket of cream. The first mouse quickly gave up and drowned. The second mouse, wouldn't quit. He struggled so hard that eventually he churned that cream into butter and crawled out. Gentlemen, as of this moment, I am that second mouse.

RoyInSpringdale/MizzouFan

Quote from: Tejas_Pete on July 23, 2014, 08:40:03 am
Matt Jones, Ryan Mallett, Tyler Wilson and you bring up Casey Dick? Not sure if serious.
Actually I am quite serious. Wilson is my favorite for being such a competitor, but I think Dick should get some respect for weathering a firestorm here.

thirrdegreetusker

Quote from: RoyInSpringdale/MizzouFan on July 23, 2014, 02:32:54 pm
Actually I am quite serious. Wilson is my favorite for being such a competitor, but I think Dick should get some respect for weathering a firestorm here.

I always thought CD got a lot of undeserved scorn on this board. When he graduated, he was in the top 5 all-time at UA in virtually every "good" QB stat.

thirrdegreetusker

Quote from: dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya on July 22, 2014, 05:09:01 pm
To be fair, Mitch Mustain should be on that list then.

I dunno. His 8-0 was unquestionably the easiest part of the schedule that year (six unranked teams). All he had to do was get the ball in the hands of those three stud RBs. CD had almost identical stats, even though he played four top-15 teams in his five games as a starter.