Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

State has big recruiting day at Big Dawg Camp. Biggest ever?

Started by jbcarol, July 19, 2014, 08:19:02 am

Previous topic - Next topic

jbcarol

State moved up five spots to Number Nine on the 247 2015 Team recruiting rankings after receiving eight verbals at Big Dawg Camp.

July 18, 2014
Dee Nalls commits to Mississippi State Bulldogs

Keith Mixon commits to Mississippi State Bulldogs

Jamal Peters commits to Mississippi State Bulldogs

Johnathan Calvin commits to Mississippi State Bulldogs

Jonnas Spivey commits to Mississippi State Bulldogs

Alec Murphy commits to Mississippi State Bulldogs

Nick Gibson commits to Mississippi State Bulldogs

Justin Johnson commits to Mississippi State Bulldogs

July 18, 2014

School Camp:
Leo Lewis attends Mississippi State Bulldogs camp

The 5-star later de-commits from Bama and a Bama-based recruiting writer names State the leader for Lewis.

http://mississippistate.247sports.com/Institution/Mississippi-State-Bulldogs-24104/TimelineEvents (as of midnight 7/18/14)

Andrew Bone @AndrewJBone  ·  12h
Five-star DT Daron Payne confirmed he made the trip over to #MissSt today. He is working out this evening.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

#UNO☝ @_JustinJohnson1  ·  21h
I am Officially Committed to the University of Mississippi State. 🐶😈

Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

State's sixth annual Big Dawg Camp was also its most successful.

The Bulldogs received eight football commitments on Friday, swelling the 2015 class to 25 and lifting it five spots up to No. 9 nationally according to 247Sports.com.

Having covered MSU recruiting for five years at Rivals.com before joining the Daily Journal staff, I've seen my share of crazy occurrences. But I have never witnessed anything quite as wild as receiving eight commitments in a span of around 10 hours – and that's not including a baseball commitment the Diamond Dogs also received on Friday...

QuoteWhen the dust finally settled late Friday, State had added two four-stars, four high school three-star prospects, a junior college three-star prospect and a 2016 offensive guard.

Headlining the day was Bassfield safety Jamal Peters, who is considered the top senior prospect in the state. I witnessed Peters in action at last year's camp and could already tell he was a star in the making.

Peters' commitment was huge for the Bulldogs but they will still have to fend off other suitors all the way up until signing day in February.

State also gained three running backs. Four-star Nick Gibson (Pinson, Ala.) was obviously a huge get for the Bulldogs along with Alec Murphy (Nixa, Mo.). Those two are the more traditional backs to go along with Kentavious Thomas (Milledgeville, Ga.), who pledged back in February.

Three-star Keith Mixon (Irondale, Ala.) was the third back to commit Friday night but is more of an all-purpose guy.

With the spots filling up fast, State [might] have to be selective now on who they take with its few remaining scholarships in this class.

One spot could go to Brookhaven's Leo Lewis. The nation's top-ranked linebacker de-committed from Alabama while attending Big Dawg Camp and is expected to give MSU strong consideration.

It has been since 2003 since the Bulldogs finished in the top 10 in recruiting but if this class sticks...

jbcarol

John Talty @JTalty  ·  7h

Just got out of a meeting and saw Mark McLaurin committed to Mississippi State. Love that kid. Should be on Dandy Dozen.

jbcarol

loganlowery @loganlowery  ·  Jul 26
MSU commitment facing possible suspension http://dlvr.it/6R9Stq

QuoteNixa, Mo., three-star running back Alec Murphy was caught shoplifting a pair of shoes at Wal-Mart on June 2 and has already paid the $100 fine according to the Springfield News-Leader.

Now Murphy must wait to see if he will face further repercussions from Nixa Public Schools.

Nixa opens the season Aug. 24 at Jefferson City in a nationally televised game on ESPNU.

The 6-foot-1, 222-pounder was one of eight prospects that committed to the Bulldogs on July 18.