Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Planting the Hog Flag at Disneyland

Started by HangTenHog, July 18, 2014, 06:17:26 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

HangTenHog

My wife and I were at Disneyland last week--something we enjoy, even at our age. As we were leaving a new "ride" on Guardians of the Galaxy, I see a gentlemen, with his family in tow, wearing a Razorback shirt. He's also in a wheelchair. I raise my voice over to him and say, "Go Hogs!". He replies with a WPS.

Turns out that he is a veteran and an avid Razorback. We stop in the sun and hold a conversation for about fifteen minutes. Passerby's likely thought we were neighbors or brothers. So there we were, in the middle of Disneyland, connecting on our shared love of the Razorbacks. He spoke about a fall trip back. I spoke about my times flying back.

Good sir, if you're reading this now, thank you for your service. I didn't ask how you ended up in the wheelchair, but I'm sure that is why. More importantly, however, I wanted to share this as a token of our brotherhood (some would label almost a religion) as I've had experiences like this many, many times.

Folks on here, when they're behind their computer screens, often seem to lose sight of the fact that we all, whether we agree on how we'll get to the promised land, still share the same goal and same hopes for our team. My call for all as we head into the new season is to have a level of civility with each other. The person you're knocking on a particular thread one day, is likely the person you'd share a beer with at a sports bar while watching the team. Disagree? Sure. Debate? Why not? But, demean--in my book--its not in the spirit of the bulk of my experiences as a Razorback.

Go Hogs!

Augustus

Quote from: HangTenHog on July 18, 2014, 06:17:26 pm
My wife and I were at Disneyland last week--something we enjoy, even at our age. As we were leaving a new "ride" on Guardians of the Galaxy, I see a gentlemen, with his family in tow, wearing a Razorback shirt. He's also in a wheelchair. I raise my voice over to him and say, "Go Hogs!". He replies with a WPS.

Turns out that he is a veteran and an avid Razorback. We stop in the sun and hold a conversation for about fifteen minutes. Passerby's likely thought we were neighbors or brothers. So there we were, in the middle of Disneyland, connecting on our shared love of the Razorbacks. He spoke about a fall trip back. I spoke about my times flying back.

Good sir, if you're reading this now, thank you for your service. I didn't ask how you ended up in the wheelchair, but I'm sure that is why. More importantly, however, I wanted to share this as a token of our brotherhood (some would label almost a religion) as I've had experiences like this many, many times.

Folks on here, when they're behind their computer screens, often seem to lose sight of the fact that we all, whether we agree on how we'll get to the promised land, still share the same goal and same hopes for our team. My call for all as we head into the new season is to have a level of civility with each other. The person you're knocking on a particular thread one day, is likely the person you'd share a beer with at a sports bar while watching the team. Disagree? Sure. Debate? Why not? But, demean--in my book--its not in the spirit of the bulk of my experiences as a Razorback.

Go Hogs!

+infinity

Hawgey-Davidson

pigture perfect

Awesome. Thanks for this post. More importantly, thanks for treating our disability community well.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

Pigasaurus

"If I wanted you to know what I was thinking, I would be talking."  Al Bundy

MissippHog

McKdaddy

Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin

RoaminHawg

SemperFi

Quote from: HangTenHog on July 18, 2014, 06:17:26 pm

Go Hogs!

Nicely said! I liken the passion Razorback fans share with one another like those of my Marine brothers and sisters. It is almost a religious experience when you see and converse with fellow Hog fans while traveling around this great country. I was given a "Go Hogs" by two little old ladies in a Wal-Mart in Tulsa, had a dude in the same city pull up his shirt sleeve to show me his Razorback tattoo and have been stopped numerous times by other Hog fans just to give out a WPS. Like my Marine brothers we may disagree, fuss and even fight, but at the end of the day we share the same foxhole. I'd rather stand with my Razorback brothers and sisters in the midst of a 3-9 season than stand tall as an Auburn, Bama, aTm or Gator fan. WPS!
Some people wonder all their lives if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem. - Ronald Reagan

buffaload

Cinco de Hogo

That's why I always have on Razorback gear.  I drive a truck, sorta, it's half RV, almost 200,000 miles a year and I couldn't begin to count the times I have connected with other Razorback Fans.  Even fans of other teams will strike up a conversation when they recognize the HOG!

Oklahawg

Fantastic thread. Thanks to the OP.

Been in that situation myself - traveling and sporting my Hog gear always seems to inspire a conversation with other Hog fans. At Disney it is a must!
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

sowmonella

Thanks for a great post. Very well said. :razorback: :razorback:
+1
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

GolfnHog

Great post and awesome story! I may be totally oblivious to my surroundings at times but by God, I can spot a Razorback ball cap, logo or license plate from a mile away and I'll go down fighting to try and make a conversation or signal if at all possible. #wps
Have you ever listened to someone  or read what they put into thoughts and wondered...."who ties your shoelaces for you?"

wholehog92

Good story.  I have had similar events at Disney as well.

At Silver Dollar City, we had enough of us in line for a roller coaster to actually get a hog call going.  Pretty funny to see the faces of people from other areas.
My personal list of trolls so that I can remember not to reply to them:  Pigs Been Fly, gohogsgo006, hanksampson, no3putts, HarryGoat, Oxbaker, Olmissbydamn, LocalHawg, Thatguy, Masterhog, servicesupport, Razorhawg09, Big Poppa Z,  $100 Handshake, Poloprince.

List of folks that reasonable conversation will not happen:  Iron Hog, Jman, hognot, Solomwi, hogfan1111x, pigzwillrise.

Favorite Posters:  WilsonHog, Tomhog, Muskogeehog, Razorfox, TammayTom, razorback3072, bennyl08.

kingcam25

Awesome post. I guess we do tend to forget the one thing that we all want! Just win baby!! Go Hogs! :razorback: :razorback:

HangTenHog

Quote from: wholehog92 on July 21, 2014, 03:04:35 pm
Good story.  I have had similar events at Disney as well.

At Silver Dollar City, we had enough of us in line for a roller coaster to actually get a hog call going.  Pretty funny to see the faces of people from other areas.
I thought about that after we went our separate way. I bet, with his kids there (and he and I certainly wouldn't have had a problem with it), we should have just got a hog call going. Next time this occurs for me, it is definitely on the agenda.

HogRedTilImDead

Excellent post! Very nicely said! +1 :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:
GO HOGS!!