Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Jim Chaney speec.

Started by DThog90, July 17, 2014, 08:38:00 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

DThog90

I was at a private event tonight in NWA and got to hear a speech by coach Chaney. He spoke about eliminating losing. Penalties, blown assignments, turnovers. But he spoke a bunch about incoming freshman. His favorites are Ragnow and Wallace. Wallace especially. Said they will play immediately. He talked about need for vertical speed in our secondary and simplifying things to make up for it. Linebackers will surprise people even though there not deep enough yet. Talked about Jojo Robinson's speed. He said Brandon is THE leader now which makes me feel a little better.

ldfergu

Oklahawg

Always good to get tidbits like this.

Is it football season yet?
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Huckleberry Pig

Same Okla, Thanks OP for sharing!

CokeHog

Like a nice cold sip of Coke to a thirsty man lost in a desert.

Thanks for actual football information!
Go Hogs!

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Oklahawg on July 17, 2014, 08:51:31 pm
Always good to get tidbits like this.

Is it football season yet?

Not yet but it can't get here fast enough!
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

hoglady

Isn't Chaney just great to listen to.
He's well spoken, funny and entertaining.
Quite a personality - and seems pretty darn smart, too.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

PygmalionEffect

Weird, but somehow it doesn't strike me as comforting that our OC is projecting true freshmen that haven't played a down of division 1 football will be starting immediately on our offensive line.

Pygmalion Effect - The phenomenon in which the greater the expectation placed upon people, the better they perform.

oldbear

Thanks for sharing. Great stuff.

SemperFi

Comments like those made by Coach Chaney just gets me all jacked up for football. I really believe that this team is going to jump up and smack some teams right in the mouth. WPS!
Some people wonder all their lives if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem. - Ronald Reagan

ImHogginIt

Quote from: PygmalionEffect on July 17, 2014, 09:12:52 pm
Weird, but somehow it doesn't strike me as comforting that our OC is projecting true freshmen that haven't played a down of division 1 football will be starting immediately on our offensive line.

Says they will play immediately. Does not say they will start. Some folks need to relax and wait another season when the young pups Bielema has recruited grow up. Then we can puff out our chests again and we'll keep em' puffed as long as Bielema is here. I hope its for the next 20 years  :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:

DThog90

He didn't say they would start. They will be used. Pessimistic much?

Paul

I'd be okay with true freshmen starting with Chaney, bielema & Pittman making the decisions.

lumphog

Quote from: ImHogginIt on July 17, 2014, 09:31:46 pm
Says they will play immediately. Does not say they will start. Some folks need to relax and wait another season when the young pups Bielema has recruited grow up. Then we can puff out our chests again and we'll keep em' puffed as long as Bielema is here. I hope its for the next 20 years  :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:
BEST POST OF THE YEAR +1

Al Boarland

Quote from: DThog90 on July 17, 2014, 08:38:00 pm
I was at a private event tonight in NWA and got to hear a speech by coach Chaney. He spoke about eliminating losing. Penalties, blown assignments, turnovers. But he spoke a bunch about incoming freshman. His favorites are Ragnow and Wallace. Wallace especially. Said they will play immediately. He talked about need for vertical speed in our secondary and simplifying things to make up for it. Linebackers will surprise people even though there not deep enough yet. Talked about Jojo Robinson's speed. He said Brandon is THE leader now which makes me feel a little better.

OC sure did have a lot to say about the D.

Prestworthy

Wonder if most expect Ragnow to secure the center spot?

lumphog

Quote from: Al Boarland on July 17, 2014, 09:46:05 pm
OC sure did have a lot to say about the D.
He should know more about it than anyone.

opineonswine

Not weird at all.  Previous coaching staff sucked at recruiting.  We are having to start over.  What's hard to understand about that?

Al Boarland

Quote from: lumphog on July 17, 2014, 10:02:17 pm
He should know more about it than anyone.

I wonder if that's what Ash thought?

PygmalionEffect

Quote from: opineonswine on July 17, 2014, 10:03:46 pm
Not weird at all.  Previous coaching staff sucked at recruiting.  We are having to start over.  What's hard to understand about that?

sorry guys,

stupid me

I forgot we played two true freshmen on the offensive line last year.

Nothing to worry about.

My post was a comment toward the 5 or 6 linemen that have been up there for 2 - 4 years and haven't produced, not the 2 studs we have coming in.

What's hard to understand about that?
Pygmalion Effect - The phenomenon in which the greater the expectation placed upon people, the better they perform.

onebadrubi

Skipper and Kirkland did very very well last year.  if these guys are anywhere near as good im ok with it

Dwight_K_Shrute

Was there a chocolate fountain at the event
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

PygmalionEffect

I do like Boyd going to defense if he accepts the roll.  CBB thinks he has some talent and is trying to get the talent on the field.

We're thin at d-line.  We played DEs across the entire line a lot last year, Smith, Flowers, Wise, and Winston or Lewis, mainly on what we thought were passing plays, but this line up was very susceptible to the run, particularly play action.

I don't know if we did that due to depth at DT or it was just another one of Ash's mad scientist schemes that usually failed miserably, like positioning the defense away from the line of scrimmage in hopes that we would fool the offense into thinking we were retreating, but I hope to see more beef in the middle this year, even on third down.

Biggus Piggus

DT recruiting needs to be much better. Falling further behind by the day.
[CENSORED]!

Oklahawg

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on July 17, 2014, 10:41:02 pm

The UA achilles heel contest of the SEC era:
1. True bell-cow DTs
2. Legit MLB
3. lockdown cover CB

Probably can't get to 5 at any of these positions during the SEC era.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

DThog90

No chocolate fountain... But there was an ice statue of Ben Hogan with Goose flowing freely from an unamed bodily orifice! Very tastefully done I might add!

PorkRinds

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on July 17, 2014, 10:41:02 pm

I think we just offered one today actually. We've done decent at DE but DT has been a weakness generally. But lots of people think Frojoldt will end up at DT, and we have Jackson coming up this season. You're absolutely right, but it's more hopeful now than it has been in a while it seems.

ZERO

Quote from: opineonswine on July 17, 2014, 10:03:46 pm

Everyone who knows even slightly what they're talking about has always maintained that Bielema needs four or five years here to build a roster full of players he's selected personally. It doesn't make any sense to assert otherwise. Year two is going to be pretty rough. We may not reach a Bowl again.

When you're a football fan living in a world that's become about instant gratification and simultaneous results, then it can be tough to realize that some things take awhile - AND are worth waiting for.
Quote from: Squealers on December 30, 2014, 05:14:49 pmCharlie Strong and I have something in common... yesterday we both got colonoscopies.

Quote"These fans hate Texas more than they like themselves."

Rzbakfromwaybak

From what I can gather... Chaney said they will..."play"....not start immediately.  Evidently, these are not ordinary freshmen....which is very good news. 
Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.

BatesvilleHOG

well it seems to strike me a little different. These kids coming in as true freshman at any school, whether it's BAMA, Arkansas, Stanford, or Samford. You've got to be an extremely talented kid to do that. It's good to know you'll have that talent around for 2-4 more years too.

1highhog

I remember us having this freshman starting on the Oline, name was Shawn Andrews.  He was a beast.  Some players are just special and can come in and play immediately.

Al Boarland

Quote from: ZERO on July 17, 2014, 11:28:31 pm
Everyone who knows even slightly what they're talking about has always maintained that Bielema needs four or five years here to build a roster full of players he's selected personally. It doesn't make any sense to assert otherwise. Year two is going to be pretty rough. We may not reach a Bowl again.

When you're a football fan living in a world that's become about instant gratification and simultaneous results, then it can be tough to realize that some things take awhile - AND are worth waiting for.

Do we know that he will be able to get the players he wants?  I'm pretty sure he will want many of the players everyone else wants too.

GlassofSwine

Quote from: Al Boarland on July 18, 2014, 03:45:51 pm
Do we know that he will be able to get the players he wants?  I'm pretty sure he will want many of the players everyone else wants too.

IS this a real question? All of the players he recruits are players he wants.

SPAL

Quote from: Al Boarland on July 18, 2014, 03:45:51 pm

We have proven that we can steal a few away from the big guys.

razorbacker3

Quote from: PygmalionEffect on July 17, 2014, 10:39:29 pm
I do like Boyd going to defense if he accepts the roll.  CBB thinks he has some talent and is trying to get the talent on the field.
Where did you hear this. Boyd was listed as a OG during spring and battled for the starting job.

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: 1highhog on July 18, 2014, 03:41:54 pm
I remember us having this freshman starting on the Oline, name was Shawn Andrews.  He was a beast.  Some players are just special and can come in and play immediately.

You said "Special"
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

Biggus Piggus

Arkansas is going to start all freshman. Bielema is an idiot.
[CENSORED]!

Tusks

If I'm not mistaken he didn't start until the 3rd or 4th game of his FR season.

Quote from: 1highhog on July 18, 2014, 03:41:54 pm
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

Al Boarland

Quote from: GlassofSwine on July 18, 2014, 03:52:11 pm
  IS this a real question? All of the players he recruits are players he wants.

Possibly, but I'm sure there are others he wants more.  It just depends on how far down his board he has to go.  If he strikes out on the big dogs he has to fill up a class.

Vantage 8 dude

Well if they're a clear upgrade over what we have now I'm not sure we should care less!! At least that seems to be what he's possibly saying. Would you prefer for him to say that the kids who are coming in aren't going to offer us the chance of getting better immediately? Heck, we should all know that bigger and better players than what we have for the most part is called for.

WizardofhOgZ

Quote from: razorbacker3 on July 18, 2014, 03:56:37 pm
Where did you hear this. Boyd was listed as a OG during spring and battled for the starting job.

First noticed when Boyd was listed as DT in the newly released 2014 Football media guide.  Bielema confirmed it at SEC media days when questioned about it.

http://swtimes.com/sports/sec-notebook-bielema-stands-firm-player-safety

Shorttimer

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on July 18, 2014, 03:59:28 pm
By about the 14th hole of a bad round of golf, I generally just say "screw it" and play the rest of the round with my 7 iron.  You, sir, just pulled out your 7 iron.

SuperHog32

If a dog is gonna bite, he will bite as a pup.

GlassofSwine

Quote from: Al Boarland on July 18, 2014, 04:03:03 pm
Possibly, but I'm sure there are others he wants more.  It just depends on how far down his board he has to go.  If he strikes out on the big dogs he has to fill up a class.

Every school misses out on recruits that are on their board.

Al Boarland

Quote from: GlassofSwine on July 18, 2014, 05:16:33 pm
  Every school misses out on recruits that are on their board.

I can name a few schools just in the SEC West that don't miss very much.

870hogfan

Quote from: Al Boarland on July 18, 2014, 06:43:02 pm
I can name a few schools just in the SEC West that don't miss very much.

Ok Gus.

jgphillips3

I keep having this feeling that by game 4 or 5 we are going to hear a lot of people yelling "go JoJo go!"

OneTuskOverTheLine™

It means we're recruiting much, much better players...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

board

Quote from: OneTuskOverTheLine™ on July 18, 2014, 06:59:52 pm
It means we're recruiting much, much better players...

Apparently logic is foreign to some of these district attorneys...

Pig Worshipper

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on July 18, 2014, 03:59:28 pm
The Return of the Shoats! Hallelujah!