Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Kentucky has offer Monk scholarship

Started by hdturner, July 17, 2014, 07:43:00 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawg Red

I would be surprised if Monk didn't go to one of the following schools: Arkansas, Kentucky, Duke, North Carolina, Kansas, Florida, Louisville.

Any of those schools and I'm not surprised. If he picks somewhere like SMU or Baylor or goes overseas like Mudiay (which I don't think he will), I'd be very surprised. He's either staying home or going to a blue blood.

HawgnCorona

Quote from: poloprince on July 18, 2014, 07:03:42 pm
Adam Silva will have changed this rule by the time Monk steps on the college court.

I think you are right...As all should know it is in discussion.
Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all your getting, get understanding." --   Proverbs 4:7

"Live justly, love mercy and to walk humbly with the Most High."-- Micah 6:8

-Blu

Quote from: poloprince on July 18, 2014, 07:03:42 pm
Adam Silva will have changed this rule by the time Monk steps on the college court.

The next time they can change this would be the 2016-2017 season, which is the next CBA right?  And then it would go into effect the following year I'm assuming.  I could be completely off on this, that's why I'm asking.

But I agree it's definitely going to happen, Silva is pretty set on getting it done, and I haven't really heard anybody really disagree with it.

Hawg Red

Quote from: -Blu on July 18, 2014, 07:21:43 pm
The next time they can change this would be the 2016-2017 season, which is the next CBA right?  And then it would go into effect the following year I'm assuming.  I could be completely off on this, that's why I'm asking.

But I agree it's definitely going to happen, Silva is pretty set on getting it done, and I haven't really heard anybody really disagree with it.

First, guys, it's Adam Silver, not Adam Silva.

Second, in the last CBA negotiations, they agreed they could re-address the age limit before the CBA is up.

HawgnCorona

Quote from: Hawg Red on July 18, 2014, 06:57:08 pm
Any a decision a person makes is the decision they made, but that doesn't mean they aren't swayed by the opinions or wishes of others. I mean, we are talking about major college athletics. Kids make the "wrong" choice all the time. This is why kids transfer or things don't go right. But they made the decision to go there themselves, often with heavy input from their inner circle.

Sure it is but in this case without undo influence as his brother stated...

Sawyer seems to thing his sources dislike of MA will have some bearing on Maliks decision on where goes.

As his brother stated it will be his own decision, period. Not influenced by others opinions. They both have made that very clear...As Malik put it
"...the best choice for him."
Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all your getting, get understanding." --   Proverbs 4:7

Hawg Red

Quote from: HawgnCorona on July 18, 2014, 07:27:42 pm
Sure it is but in this case without undo influence as his brother stated...

Sawyer seems to thing his sources dislike of MA will have some bearing on Maliks decision on where goes.

As his brother stated it will be his own decision, period. Not influenced by others opinions. They both have made that very clear...As Malik put it
"...the best choice for him."

Yeah, that's what Marcus says. How many people near a player publicly say, "Yeah, we're heavily influencing him"? That's handler-speak. To think that a 16 year old kid is taking all this in on his own and not looking to or listening to elders around him is ridiculous.

The Hogfather

Adam de la Silva will change the rule soon.

HawgnCorona

Quote from: Hawg Red on July 18, 2014, 07:29:55 pm
Yeah, that's what Marcus says. How many people near a player publicly say, "Yeah, we're heavily influencing him"? That's handler-speak. To think that a 16 year old kid is taking all this in on his own and not looking to or listening to elders around him is ridiculous.

As he simply stated the "choice" is his own...So forget Marcus or his other confidant Sawyer wants us all to believe he has talked Malik into delaying his decision, to take his time and only to steer him in a direction other than the U of A. Im not buying it.

Im looking only at his quotes and nothing more the rest means nothing...

But then maybe you think it is handler speak because Marcus is GA? How come it cant be him telling the truth.

Whatever...

-Blu

Quote from: Hawg Red on July 18, 2014, 07:26:09 pm
First, guys, it's Adam Silver, not Adam Silva.

You do know now everybody is going to call him Silva now just because you said that.

Quote from: Hawg Red on July 18, 2014, 07:26:09 pm
Second, in the last CBA negotiations, they agreed they could re-address the age limit before the CBA is up.

And thanks that's the info I was looking for.

Quote from: HawgnCorona on July 18, 2014, 07:52:29 pm
As he simply stated the "choice" is his own...So forget Marcus or his other confidant Sawyer wants us all to believe he has talked Malik into delaying his decision, to take his time and only to steer him in a direction other than the U of A. Im not buying it.

But then maybe you think it is handler speak because Marcus is GA? How come it cant be him telling the truth.

Whatever...

http://depaul.scout.com/story/1414535-monk-is-starting-recruiting-process?s=430

Think it's a pay article, don't know if you can read it or not, but basically Marcus handles all the calls, I don't even think Malik speaks with the coaches much, with that bit of info you can believe that Marcus is going to have a big impact on where his little brother goes.

PorkRinds

Quote from: Hawg Red on July 18, 2014, 07:29:55 pm
Hopefully his brothers opinion means a lot. I don't see his a kid turns down a chance to go to his home state school and play for his own brother as a coach.

HawgnCorona

Blu you are right I can't and does it contradict anything I have said? And why is this article anymore believable than the others?

Hawg Red

Quote from: HawgnCorona on July 18, 2014, 07:52:29 pm

Whatever...

I'm not saying he isn't telling the truth. I'm just saying that it's highly likely that Malik is at least partially taking into consideration what those around him are saying and will make HIS decision based on that. I'm in no way saying Malik's being steered in any specific direction or being pressured to look away from Arkansas. I just think it's very possible he has people in his ear and that could have an influence on him even if he doesn't realize it. We are talking about a 16 year old here. Not an adult. They're very impressionable.

Hawg Red

Quote from: -Blu on July 18, 2014, 08:06:39 pm
You do know now everybody is going to call him Silva now just because you said that.

I'm considering calling him Adam "The Spider" Silva from now on myself.

HawgnCorona

Quote from: Hawg Red on July 18, 2014, 08:20:25 pm
I'm not saying he isn't telling the truth. I'm just saying that it's highly likely that Malik is at least partially taking into consideration what those around him are saying and will make HIS decision based on that. I'm in no way saying Malik's being steered in any specific direction or being pressured to look away from Arkansas. I just think it's very possible he has people in his ear and that could have an influence on him even if he doesn't realize it. We are talking about a 16 year old here. Not an adult. They're very impressionable.

Oh I can agree with all of this...Then lets just hope Scalamari has no influence (I dont like the guy). Better yet lets hope that Marcus isnt the close contact that Sawyer was speaking of (that doesnt like MA)...

chiefhawg

Jeff Goodman ‏@GoodmanESPN  33m
Malik Monk is ridiculously good. Prolific scorer. Hearing Arkansas and Florida are in best shape.

chiefhawg

Gary Parrish ‏@GaryParrishCBS  1m
Malik Monk just got a technical ... presumably for nearly hitting his head on the roof of the gym while dunking. Good lord. He is something

Hawg Red

Quote from: chiefhawg on July 18, 2014, 08:58:54 pm
Jeff Goodman ‏@GoodmanESPN  33m
Malik Monk is ridiculously good. Prolific scorer. Hearing Arkansas and Florida are in best shape.

This is interesting to me because I had heard once that Marcus really wanted to go to Florida but never got an offer. Probably reading too much into something that probably isn't even true, though.

jbcarol

Ben Roberts @NextCats  ·  1m
Malik Monk's final stat line tonight: 40 points, 6 rebounds, 5 assists. 14/20 FGs, 6/10 threes. 28 minutes. What a performance.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

Porked Tongue

Do yourself a favor and go watch a high school game this year.  His conference games will have him playing in Fort Smith(twice), Springdale(twice), Rogers (twice), Fayetteville and of course Bentonville.

Instead of fretting so much, go enjoy him in his youth

clutch

Quote from: Hawg Red on July 18, 2014, 09:33:28 pm
This is interesting to me because I had heard once that Marcus really wanted to go to Florida but never got an offer. Probably reading too much into something that probably isn't even true, though.

He was very interested in Florida. They weren't going to let him play 2 sports though.

chiefhawg

Jeff Goodman ‏@GoodmanESPN  40m
Malik Monk's 40-point performance just now was one of the top 10 I have ever seen in 15 or so years at Peach Jam

-Blu

Quote from: chiefhawg on July 18, 2014, 10:19:49 pm
Jeff Goodman ‏@GoodmanESPN  40m
Malik Monk's 40-point performance just now was one of the top 10 I have ever seen in 15 or so years at Peach Jam

Yep, it was a good game.

For those that missed Malik's 40 point game, here's the link to the full game.

http://www.highschoolcube.com/event/team-penny-vs-wings-elite-2014-nike-peach-jam-cour-357750

Also other notable recruits in this game.....

Melvin Frazier - Wings
Dontae Dorsey (Fitzpatrick) - Team Penny
Marlon Hunter - Wings
Lawson Korita - Wings

And of course you got Kevaughn Allen who's currently a Florida commit on Team Penny as well.  The Lawson brothers are also on Team Penny.

-Blu

Quote from: HawgnCorona on July 18, 2014, 08:15:46 pm
Blu you are right I can't and does it contradict anything I have said? And why is this article anymore believable than the others?

Well your saying that the decision is completely up to Malik, however he's said on a few different occasions that his brother is his handling all his calls and the recruiting process.  And your right to an extent, I'm sure he will talk it over with his brother and mom and ultimately decide which school he wants to goto, however if he's not even talking to the schools and his brother is handling all that, he's going to have a HUGE impact in his decision. 

And from everything that's been said up to this point it's mostly between us and Florida, with Kentucky in 3rd.  Jeff Goodman tweeted about us and Florida, and from what I've read on other pay boards, some believe Kentucky is in the picture as well.  So, I wouldn't panic about Monk we seem to be in a good place with him.  I hadn't heard that he or some of the people he associates with doesn't like Coach Anderson, that's the first I've seen or heard of that anywhere.

HawgAdvocate

It'll be Arkansas or UK, according to those close to Malik
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

HawgnCorona

Quote from: -Blu on July 19, 2014, 12:11:51 am
Well your saying that the decision is completely up to Malik, however he's said on a few different occasions that his brother is his handling all his calls and the recruiting process.  And your right to an extent, I'm sure he will talk it over with his brother and mom and ultimately decide which school he wants to goto, however if he's not even talking to the schools and his brother is handling all that, he's going to have a HUGE impact in his decision. 

And from everything that's been said up to this point it's mostly between us and Florida, with Kentucky in 3rd.  Jeff Goodman tweeted about us and Florida, and from what I've read on other pay boards, some believe Kentucky is in the picture as well.  So, I wouldn't panic about Monk we seem to be in a good place with him.  I hadn't heard that he or some of the people he associates with doesn't like Coach Anderson, that's the first I've seen or heard of that anywhere.

Im only repeating his words...I think I read it correctly? And I dont think I was show concern at all. Actually my post early on in the thread should reflect that I think...But no concerns with that.

Thanks for the response...

MemphisBossHog

Quote from: The Hogfather on July 18, 2014, 06:06:50 am
Just from those quotes, he sounds brainwashed like Archie was.  Hope he chooses the Hogs.
sure does sound like that.  Next thing you know, he will use the term "business decision" and when that happens, it will all be over.

Its hard to go up against The Lexington Used Car Salesman. He can sell ice to Eskimos.  Was hoping he wouldn't get involved, but Malik is too highly rated for him to pass and The Lexington Used Car Salesman specializes in "one and dones" and "business decisions."

It would seem that IF Malik is all that he is supposed to be, it shouldn't matter where he goes to school.  With 24 hour sports channels and the interweb (LOL), pro scouts are going to find you and see you and its not like going to Arkansas and playing in the SEC, which will have its own network, is the same as going to Montana State or something like that.  At Arkansas, Malik would get plenty of "air time" to showcase his talent. 

Letsroll1200

There are two factors that I believe could swing in our favor for Malik aka Kilam aka The truth.
Lebron James Factor - These kids love Lebron James and his decision to return home and represent his home state has to be a model for other upcoming players. The best player in the world decides to go home when he has better options elsewhere. I believe Malik and other elite high school guys took notice. The trend was to join other great players but now the best player just destroyed that trend.

Lawson and Memphis Factor - Malik was once asked what player would he like to play with on the circuit and he responded by saying Dedric Lawson. D-Law was very high on Kentucky but tables have turned with his dad becoming a assistant coach for Memphis. I was very concerned about D-Law going to Kentucky and Malik teaming up with him in Big Blue Nation. Malik will not be going to Memphis.

We have to make some noise this season on the basketball court and if we can get the nation to take notice we could be in a good shape to sign Malik. Malik Monk informs all other suitors I'm staying home.

poloprince

Kentucky always offers top 5 prospects right? Not to mention he is an excellent player.
$PoLoPrInCe$

HawgAdvocate

Zagoria article from late last night:

http://zagsblog.com/articles/malik-monk-setting-a-new-standard-for-guards/

Quote"Nothing really yet," Monk told SNY.tv . "I'm just waiting until the end of the summer, and then I'm going to focus on everything. I'm not really focused on that, we're just trying to win."

Monk rattled off five schools that are working the hardest at the moment.

"Florida, Arkansas, Kentucky, Baylor, Louisville."

Much of Monk's family has attended Arkansas, but he says that the past of his family doesn't effect where he wants to go in the future.

"College is college," Monk said. "I'll be playing ball wherever I go, so that's it really."
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

Ironhawg

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on July 19, 2014, 09:30:20 am
Zagoria article from late last night:

http://zagsblog.com/articles/malik-monk-setting-a-new-standard-for-guards/

I have no inside information, just my personal feeling.  I think he is Kentucky bound.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: Ironhawg on July 19, 2014, 10:27:14 am
I have no inside information, just my personal feeling.  I think he is Kentucky bound.

That's certainly a fear shared by many. IF Monk doesn't choose Arkansas, I kind of hope he joins KeVaughn Allen & Pel in Florida just to read the collective Hogville response.

ricepig

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on July 19, 2014, 10:38:57 am
That's certainly a fear shared by many. IF Monk doesn't choose Arkansas, I kind of hope he joins KeVaughn Allen & Pel in Florida just to read the collective Hogville response.

Of course you do.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: ricepig on July 19, 2014, 10:46:18 am
Of course you do.

Should I instead hope he joins Kentucky for a season? That wouldn't be nearly as fun.

forrest city joe

You just can't get over Pel. Monk will be a Razorback, and a great player for Mike Anderson.

870hogfan

Quote from: ricepig on July 19, 2014, 10:46:18 am
Of course you do.

Just shows you that he still wishes Pel was here...

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: 870hogfan on July 19, 2014, 03:37:40 pm
Just shows you that he still wishes Pel was here...

That's one way of looking at it. In reality though, the perceived obsession only exists because you want it to. Florida has a proven line to Arkansas players through Pel's previous time here, whether you want to acknowledge it or not.

IF Florida manages to land both Allen & Monk, and that's a big if, I'm going to comment on it, again, whether you like it or not. Sorry I'm not sorry. Look at me keeping the topic on basketball & recruiting. See, it's not that hard (for most).

hoghappy

forrest city joe

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on July 19, 2014, 04:10:20 pm
That's one way of looking at it. In reality though, the perceived obsession only exists because you want it to. Florida has a proven line to Arkansas players through Pel's previous time here, whether you want to acknowledge it or not.

IF Florida manages to land both Allen & Monk, and that's a big if, I'm going to comment on it, again, whether you like it or not. Sorry I'm not sorry. Look at me keeping the topic on basketball & recruiting. See, it's not that hard (for most).
Florida is not getting Monk. Mike Anderson will not lose this one.

ricepig

Quote from: hoghappy on July 19, 2014, 04:45:09 pm
That 40 point game was amazing!

Yep, but unfortunately backed that up with a 3/20 going 0/9 from 3pt in the Wings last game. The Wings finish 3-2 in pool play and don't advance to bracket play.

3kgthog

Unless a kid is all Hog regardless of the coach (like Portis), MA will usually not win any battle for a player like this. He's not flashy (some might say greasy) like other coaches and his assistants are pretty average at coaching and recruiting.

If Monk were a 5-star in-state o-lineman recruited by Pittman, I'd say we could shut it down and he's a Hog. However, I would never bet even $20 that Mike Anderson lands a 5-star Arkansan that wasn't born with DMac/Portis syndrome. He just doesn't have that "it" factor in the living room.

forrest city joe

Quote from: 3kgthog on July 19, 2014, 08:54:03 pm
Unless a kid is all Hog regardless of the coach (like Portis), MA will usually not win any battle for a player like this. He's not flashy (some might say greasy) like other coaches and his assistants are pretty average at coaching and recruiting.

If Monk were a 5-star in-state o-lineman recruited by Pittman, I'd say we could shut it down and he's a Hog. However, I would never bet even $20 that Mike Anderson lands a 5-star Arkansan that wasn't born with DMac/Portis syndrome. He just doesn't have that "it" factor in the living room.
We will see who is right about this, you or me. i say i will be right. Monk will be a Razorback and play for Mike Anderson.that's my opinion. Mosses Kingsley was not from Arkansas. he was a top 50 recruit in the country.

azhog10

Ha shocker!

azhog10

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on July 19, 2014, 04:10:20 pm
Florida has a proven line to Arkansas players through Pel's previous time here, whether you want to acknowledge it or not.

You get that just from Allen going to Florida? They didn't get Bobby and last I checked Pel wasn't just knocking them dead when it came to getting in-state recruits. Not saying he never got any just saying he wasn't "The Man" when it comes to locking down the instate kids.

HawgAdvocate

July 20, 2014, 02:53:33 pm #93 Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 03:17:31 pm by HawgAdvocate
Quote from: azhog10 on July 20, 2014, 12:16:22 pmHa shocker!
Quote from: azhog10 on July 20, 2014, 12:19:27 pm
You get that just from Allen going to Florida? They didn't get Bobby and last I checked Pel wasn't just knocking them dead when it came to getting in-state recruits. Not saying he never got any just saying he wasn't "The Man" when it comes to locking down the instate kids.

Keeping the silly Haterade flowing in Recruiting? Tsk, tsk. It doesn't change reality nor does it change what I actually posted ("IF Malik doesn't choose Arkansas...")

Your second post has me shaking my head. Madden, Mick, & Ross were highly rated recruits, just as Allen is. And now we have Monk. Wasn't Sanchez a 4*? PLEASE don't tell me you're going to bring James Anderson's name up AGAIN? As I've had to remind you on multiple occasions, Anderson signed in the fall of Heath's final season. We had Fortson and Clarke before Walton chose Baylor. Is Walton the one guy you're hanging your hat on?

You should know all this, but to the surprise of no one, being factual isn't your intent today. Keep on hating. I'll just keep on keepin it real. ;)

hawgsmellgud

Hahahahahahahahahahajahahahahah.    Breeeeeeaaaaaathh.  Hahahahahahaahhaahahahah. Hell yeah you do!  Oh my god, you have to be related to pel. Have to to be.
"I've never been a numbers guy," Mallett said. "If you play the game for yourself, don't play. I don't want you on the team. There's one goal we've got here. If you're not trying to reach that goal, don't come to Arkansas."

Cure

Quote from: HawgnCorona on July 18, 2014, 12:43:52 pm
We can all agree on this. That is certain!

"I couldn't blame him for going to Kentucky, look at all the guys that went to the NBA from Kentucky while Cal has been there."

Only if you buy into the delusion that you come out more skilled than when signed you LOI at UK. See these same NBA players you reference for the example.

Otherwise like he said he is just trying to make the best decision for him. And that doesnt mean not going to be a  :razorback:
If he wants to practice against the best day in and day out, he goes to UK or UF. You aren't seeing that type of competition at Arkansas no matter how you spin it. Arkansas hasn't put a player in the league in quite some time, scouts aren't hounding the program as they once were. Mike does have some NBA talent in the program now, but even then Cal/Donovan run pro sets.

Both are coaches the NBA has been after, Donovan might be the next coach for Team USA, and both can point to multiple draft picks. Home is where the heart is, but money talks.
Team Economics
From Keynes to Friedman, we know what's up.

20gauge

Quote from: -Blu on July 18, 2014, 06:50:06 pm
Let the "friend of a friend close to the family" rumors begin!
Heard this from his dad on the Kansas deal. His mother told me she likes Cal better than MA. I heard the words from their mouths so believe what you want i dont really care.

Just dont be surprised either way MM makes a decision. ONly thing that has changed is Marcus has become a GA for the Hogs since the Kansas offer.

i hope he becomes a Hog, but Ill say again wouldnt be surprised if he turns us down and its very possible.

Ironhawg

Quote from: 20gauge on July 21, 2014, 10:14:32 am
Heard this from his dad on the Kansas deal. His mother told me she likes Cal better than MA. I heard the words from their mouths so believe what you want i dont really care.

Just dont be surprised either way MM makes a decision. ONly thing that has changed is Marcus has become a GA for the Hogs since the Kansas offer.

i hope he becomes a Hog, but Ill say again wouldnt be surprised if he turns us down and its very possible.

Says the guy with a grand total of 120 posts.

Porked Tongue

July 21, 2014, 12:17:29 pm #98 Last Edit: July 21, 2014, 01:20:29 pm by Porked Tongue
The truth is it's still early.  He truly has not spent as much time deciding as you would think.  I think the safe thing you can conclude is a few places have bn eliminated simply due to the fact there are so many.

-Blu

Quote from: 20gauge on July 21, 2014, 10:14:32 am

Didn't know you had the inside track like that big shot, your chillin with his mom and dad telling old stories, drinking Pina Colada, and discussing Malik's college decisions.  It's gotta be like you, dad, mom, and Marcus as the only people right now that's know what's going on with his recruitment right now, because everyone else is just guessing, because they've kept it pretty close to the chest so far.

If your so close to the mom and dad like that to they are telling you which coaches they do and don't like, why don't you just end all of our speculation and guessing and just tell us what the current situation is.  They obviously trust you enough to tell you about everything, and then come in message boards and repeat it back to us, so may as well go ahead and give us the inside scoop Mr. TMZ.