Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Kentucky has offer Monk scholarship

Started by hdturner, July 17, 2014, 07:43:00 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: HawgnCorona on July 24, 2014, 04:15:39 pm
You are right...Im not but plenty of "impressionable" high school players are. He created the perfect storm, selling a brand they buy into. I wont get into "how" he is able to it so well...Can you say Willie Cauley-Stein has improved?

Whether Malik buys the hype--or not--remains to be seen.

As for TJ all that he has accomplished with Rockets you have to give most of that to the Rockets though?

"I think that's the appeal most of these high school stars, who go to UK, see when it comes to all these stars converging onto one program."

It may well be...It certainly make sense. We have a ways to go build back up but guys like Malik can certainly help us get there if only for one year.

I would have to think Cauley-Stein has improved in various ways. In the weight room developing his body, learning and perfecting post moves & counter moves, working with and against other future pros every day at Kentucky...his stats might not indicate a large leap in advancement, but it's nearly impossible to argue against the idea that he is a better basketball player today than before he got to UK.

I'd have to give Jones himself far more credit than either the Rockets or the Wildcats. I'm sure he's learned things from both organizations, but certainly being able to work on basketball 24/7, without college life interfering, has led to great leaps in his advancement.

"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

HawgnCorona

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on July 24, 2014, 04:22:53 pm
I would have to think Cauley-Stein has improved in various ways. In the weight room developing his body, learning and perfecting post moves & counter moves, working with and against other future pros every day at Kentucky...his stats might not indicate a large leap in advancement, but it's nearly impossible to argue against the idea that he is a better basketball player today than before he got to UK.

I'd have to give Jones himself far more credit than either the Rockets or the Wildcats. I'm sure he's learned things from both organizations, but certainly being able to work on basketball 24/7, without college life interfering, has led to great leaps in his advancement.

Maybe he could benefit from just being on a different team then...I certainly dont doubt that he the talent. Again question there.

As for Cauley-Stein Im going to wait and see what he does next year. He has some skills to offer as a player.

However, I look at whether or not they can move the needle. To me there aren't a lot of players that do that. Game changers is what speaking of here.
Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all your getting, get understanding." --   Proverbs 4:7

"Live justly, love mercy and to walk humbly with the Most High."-- Micah 6:8

jbcarol

ICYMI:
Jeff Goodman @GoodmanESPN  ·  Jul 18

I've got Malik Monk going to Boston at No. 3. @jeffborzello: We've got @GoodmanESPN out here projecting the 2017 draft. Brutal.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

Hoggycronopolis

Hell, I'm not even sure Cal can even spot talent, much less develop it. I honestly think he just goes after the higher ranked players.
On the whole Monk deal: if Malik makes a "business decision" like Archie, I'm seriously going to puke. All these Arkansas boys saying to the media that they are going to be "one and done" is also unbecoming. Nothing wrong with being humble and saying you want to go where you have the best chance at happiness. I just don't understand that none of our great players can be counted on to stay home. Maybe it's all the negativity of the fans toward the bball program the past several years.
"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they SMITE you, and then you win"  
-Ghandi

"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity"
-George Carlin

MountieDawg

Quote from: Hoggycronopolis on July 26, 2014, 02:35:09 pm
Hell, I'm not even sure Cal can even spot talent, much less develop it. I honestly think he just goes after the higher ranked players.
On the whole Monk deal: if Malik makes a "business decision" like Archie, I'm seriously going to puke. All these Arkansas boys saying to the media that they are going to be "one and done" is also unbecoming. Nothing wrong with being humble and saying you want to go where you have the best chance at happiness. I just don't understand that none of our great players can be counted on to stay home. Maybe it's all the negativity of the fans toward the bball program the past several years.
[/quot
Quote from: Hoggycronopolis on July 26, 2014, 02:35:09 pm

Sometimes HATE is BLINDING....  As far as kids wanting to be one mad done, would you go yo college 3 more years in your field of study if you could make 30 million in those same 3 years. Finally, kids like to go where they have a chance to win quick if they only plan on staying a year... Rebuilding is not that enticing to the guy that will only be there to lay the foundation.
SEC!

010HogFan

If you want to see how this whole process goes down, take a couple hours to watch the ALLACCESS: Kentucky videos on Youtube. They are very interesting. They take a camera crew and follow Calipari around and it gives you an idea how their program operates. After watching those videos, I find it very hard to believe that we get Malik if he's been in contact with Calipari since 7th grade. Watch those videos and tell me how you turn that place down. It's scary.

20gauge

Theres always overseas as well. Muiday just got $1.2 million to play for a Chinese leauge for a year.

Marcus has already played over there as well and it might be something they look at.

MountieDawg

Cal's private jet bill was $200,000 last year....  He goes and goes often to the talent.
SEC!

The Hogfather

Quote from: 20gauge on July 28, 2014, 04:40:27 pm
Theres always overseas as well. Muiday just got $1.2 million to play for a Chinese leauge for a year.

Marcus has already played over there as well and it might be something they look at.

I was thinking about this the other day.  I could definitely see this happening.

jbcarol

Evan Daniels @EvanDaniels
Malik Monk, an elite wing in the 2016 class, will take an unofficial visit to Kentucky on August 6th.
8:54 PM - 1 Aug 2014
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: 20gauge on July 28, 2014, 04:40:27 pm

I would rather see that than him go to another school.

Plus I would never fault a kid for taking that kind of money. It's life changing.

Tick Hog

Quote from: jbcarol on August 02, 2014, 07:01:20 am
Evan Daniels @EvanDaniels
Malik Monk, an elite wing in the 2016 class, will take an unofficial visit to Kentucky on August 6th.
8:54 PM - 1 Aug 2014
nauseating

jbcarol

Five-star Class of 2016 guard Malik Monk will visit the University of Kentucky on Wednesday...

He is rated No. 5 overall and No. 1 among shooting guards in 2016 by Scout.

Quote"I'm trying to be a one-and-done, and he's dealt with a bunch of one-and-dones, so that's what I like," Monk said.

Indiana has offered Monk a scholarship, and Louisville is recruiting him but hasn't offered.

jbcarol

It appears that coverage of Monk's visit to Lexington was buried by UK's practice in prep for a Bahamas trip, the PGA being played at Valhalla (most of the reporters are there), and a little bit of UK football news.

jbcarol

August 07, 2014, 01:59:58 pm #215 Last Edit: August 08, 2014, 06:46:03 am by jbcarol
Adam Zagoria @AdamZagoria  ·  3h

Malik Monk Visits Kentucky http://zagsblog.com/articles/malik-monk-visits-uk/ ...

Quote"It was a good visit," Marcus said. "We just toured the campus, watched practice, that was pretty much it."

Marcus said that while they did meet with Coach [John] Calipari, he didn't get too into talking about the future.

"He didn't really go into anything too specific," Marcus said. "It was really the first meeting between the two, so he didn't go to far in depth about everything. We got to watch practice so it was a good chance to see how he operates. They're going on their trip to the Bahamas soon, so he was very focused on the team and getting them ready."

"For sure, he loves to play ball," Marcus said. "He's just been in the gym, keeping everything the same, with the same routine, working hard."

For the moment, Marcus says that there is nothing new for Malik in terms of visits.

"He's about to start school here pretty soon, so there's nothing new," Marcus said. "He's just going to be focused on the schoolwork, starting the year strong in the classroom."

Jack LeGwin @jacklegwin  ·  4h
Just spoke with Marcus Monk about Malik's visit to UK. Piece coming shortly.

Porked Tongue