Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Kentucky has offer Monk scholarship

Started by hdturner, July 17, 2014, 07:43:00 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hogwild210

Quote from: forrest city joe on July 22, 2014, 04:30:28 pm
How about being able to beat Arkansas first, before you win a NC ? they will not win it this year either. GO HOGS.

So the road to the NC is through Arkansas? I love my hogs, but let's be real here.
Quote from: Steef on May 26, 2017, 12:28:23 pm
Still, one can never go wrong with excrement at a time like this.

Hawg Red

Quote from: hogwild210 on July 23, 2014, 09:58:00 am
So the road to the NC is through Arkansas? I love my hogs, but let's be real here.

I would have gladly lost to UK twice if it meant going to the NC game. I'm sure UK or their fans aren't hung up on those losses.

Ironhawg

Quote from: forrest city joe on July 22, 2014, 04:30:28 pm
How about being able to beat Arkansas first, before you win a NC ? they will not win it this year either. GO HOGS.

I don't know about hanging your hat on Arkansas beating Kentucky twice last season against playing in the Final Four.  I know if it was a choice of losing twice to UK or have the Hogs in the Final Four, I would be picking the Final Four every time.

porkinsons disease

Quote from: Ironhawg on July 23, 2014, 10:48:22 am
I don't know about hanging your hat on Arkansas beating Kentucky twice last season against playing in the Final Four.  I know if it was a choice of losing twice to UK or have the Hogs in the Final Four, I would be picking the Final Four every time.
Agreed +1. Of course, we would have to make the tournament first. Baby steps
This hiding behind he has a great recruiting classcoming in crap is just another excuse for this man. you could give this man M. Johnson and Larry Bird togather and he still would not win. he is a pitiful coach who can,t coach a lick.-fcj 1/22/2011

MountieDawg

SEC!

Johnboy

Quote from: MountieDawg on July 22, 2014, 09:49:50 am
But Kentucky is Arkansas' NCAA CHAMPIONSHIP GAME. Kentucky does not get excited about the game with Arkansas... None of the kids on Kentucky's team were alive when Arkansas had a good basketball team. Kentucky's National CHAMPIONSHIP GAME is the NCAA CHAMPIONSHIP GAME. I think Monk will stay at Arkansas since his brother was hired. Plus he can make it one and done from anywhere... He would just come out of Kentucky with more endorsement deals....

Quote from: MountieDawg on July 22, 2014, 10:36:10 am
Yes he has had some great players.... But Josh Harrelson, DeAndre Liggins and Darrius Miller were drafted... They were not expected to ever make it to the NBA.... Cal wants to get them to the NBA but he wants to put them in a position to win Championships....  He has proven he will get them deep in the tourney...

Quote from: MountieDawg on July 22, 2014, 10:40:41 am
CAL's 5 Stars get drafted higher and more often than any other top coach.

http://kentuckysportsradio.com/basketball-2/the-best-coaches-with-5-star-recruits-in-college-basketball/

Quote from: MountieDawg on July 22, 2014, 03:10:19 pm
The Twins could have gone to the NBA this year...One in the 1st round and one in the 2nd... Dakari would have been a 1st round... but they want to win a Championship.

Quote from: MountieDawg on July 23, 2014, 09:30:32 am
Cal also has Derek Rose, Tyreke Evans, Eric Bledsoe, Michael Kidd-Gilchrist, Patrick Patteson all starting in the NBA that Cal developed... Kentucky has an alumni game each summer where all of the NBA players from Kentucky come back and play...  Most schools are lucky to have a 1 on 1 competition... 

Goodness gracious man you have a man-crush on ole Cal or what?

HawgnCorona

Quote from: MountieDawg on July 23, 2014, 09:30:32 am
Cal also has Derek Rose, Tyreke Evans, Eric Bledsoe, Michael Kidd-Gilchrist, Patrick Patteson all starting in the NBA that Cal developed... Kentucky has an alumni game each summer where all of the NBA players from Kentucky come back and play...  Most schools are lucky to have a 1 on 1 competition... 

Big whoopty-do. Im not speaking of a reunion of there alum. I know who he has in the league. The point was how many are producing.

Im not sure about you, however, if it were me I want be on the floor helping my team night in night out.

As  I said Walls, Davis, Paterson, Cousins are the only one producing. The rest of those guys aren't helping any body win Championships.
Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all your getting, get understanding." --   Proverbs 4:7

"Live justly, love mercy and to walk humbly with the Most High."-- Micah 6:8

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: HawgnCorona on July 23, 2014, 03:53:18 pm
As  I said Walls, Davis, Paterson, Cousins are the only one producing. The rest of those guys aren't helping any body win Championships.

Bledsoe, Knight, Kanter, & Terrence Jones are all having really good NBA careers right now, on top of the ones you mentioned. Noel should join that group this season.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

HF#1

If he goes to Kentucky, I'm done with Arkansas recruits for basketball.  We'll never get to where we want to be.

We've known about this kid for a while now.  No reason not to get him.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

mhuff

Quote from: Hawg Red on July 23, 2014, 10:16:12 am
I would have gladly lost to UK twice if it meant going to the NC game. I'm sure UK or their fans aren't hung up on those losses.

We needed more wins last year..... not losses.

Breems

Quote from: HogFan#1 on July 23, 2014, 04:36:05 pm
We've known about this kid for a while now.  No reason not to get him.

Except for the whole part where the recruit actually chooses the school; not the other way around.
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

forrest city joe

Quote from: HawgnCorona on July 23, 2014, 03:53:18 pm
Big whoopty-do. Im not speaking of a reunion of there alum. I know who he has in the league. The point was how many are producing.

Im not sure about you, however, if it were me I want be on the floor helping my team night in night out.

All those top recruits would be doing the same thing if they went to the NBA right out of HS. anyone who thinks 1 year with Cal made these guys are fooling themselves.their talent is the reason they are doing well.

Breems

I understand the concern over the offer (although it had to be expected), but I'll never understand the concerns people have over interviews and news articles.

If you're familiar with the concept of junk mail, advertisements, used car salesmen, billboards, etc., then you shouldn't be affected by it by now. Coachspeak/recruitspeak/playerspeak falls within the same lines. It means nothing. They watch other coaches/recruits/players and copy everything they say to sound professional and objective. You'll never learn anything significant from these interviews. I'd never waste my time watching/listening to Mike'd Up and/or all the stuff Bielema does.

I'm not even sure that rant was relevant, but I'm practicing for the upcoming BBall season.
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

forrest city joe

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on July 23, 2014, 04:27:09 pm
Bledsoe, Knight, Kanter, & Terrence Jones are all having really good NBA careers right now, on top of the ones you mentioned. Noel should join that group this season.
None of that garbage matters. Monk will be a Razorback. GO Mike Anderson. GO HOGS.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: forrest city joe on July 23, 2014, 07:48:25 pm
None of that garbage matters. Monk will be a Razorback. GO Mike Anderson. GO HOGS.

Not to you. But to those of us actually discussing the topic like mature adults, it does. Keep on trollin.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

root_hawg

I just don't have a feel on this kid right now; think he could go either way. 

poloprince

Kanter never played for Cal and i guess it depends on your definition of really good.  I'll give you Bledsoe even though he seems to be injury prone and last year was a breakout season for him.
$PoLoPrInCe$

HawgAdvocate

July 23, 2014, 10:16:16 pm #167 Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 10:30:53 pm by HawgAdvocate
Quote from: poloprince on July 23, 2014, 09:15:30 pm
Kanter never played for Cal and i guess it depends on your definition of really good.  I'll give you Bledsoe even though he seems to be injury prone and last year was a breakout season for him.

Kanter never played in a game due to eligibility, but he was at UK for at least six months under Cal. He was a Cal recruit, as that's all that matters in this regard. All of those guys I listed are either starting for their NBA teams, and/or are scoring in double digits per game as a solid rotation player (Kanter). That's a "really good career thus far."

root_hawg

I think those guys go regardless of their time with Cal but KY does offer you more publicity than playing at Arkbecause of the state of the program plus you will have more of your games televised and greater chance to make a run in the tourney.  Its why I understand kids wanting to go to Bama in football, better chance to win a NC.

Carl Lazlo

If it wasn't for calipari there wouldn't be an nba. 

The Hogfather

Quote from: Carl Lazlo on July 24, 2014, 07:09:33 am
If it wasn't for calipari there wouldn't be an nba. 

And the World would be run by terrorists.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: The Hogfather on July 24, 2014, 07:16:25 am
And the World would be run by terrorists.

And all the Italian tailors would be out of business.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

The Hogfather

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on July 24, 2014, 07:47:09 am
And all the Italian tailors would be out of business.

And hair gel would become a thing of the past...

Hawg Red

Quote from: mhuff on July 23, 2014, 04:37:53 pm
We needed more wins last year..... not losses.

Obviously.

But my point to FCJ was that he ought not continuously belittle Kentucky for losing to Arkansas when they're ultimately going on to experience more success. Ask anyone in the country outside of Arkansas what they remember about Kentucky last season and they'll say they made it to the NC game. Ask anyone in Arkansas what they remember about Kentucky last season and they'll say that we beat them twice. Arkansas having beat Kentucky three straight only matters to people in Arkansas or Arkansas fans.....for now.

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: Hawg Red on July 24, 2014, 08:30:05 am
Obviously.

But my point to FCJ was that he ought not continuously belittle Kentucky for losing to Arkansas when they're ultimately going on to experience more success. Ask anyone in the country outside of Arkansas what they remember about Kentucky last season and they'll say they made it to the NC game. Ask anyone in Arkansas what they remember about Kentucky last season and they'll say that we beat them twice. Arkansas having beat Kentucky three straight only matters to people in Arkansas or Arkansas fans.....for now.

FCJ should continuously belittle Kenphucky for losing to Arkansas and for any other just cause real or imagined. I love that he sticks up for Arkansas when some of our most active posters make it a point to build cases about why we suck at everything. To listen to some of these people, we might as well give up and drop down to the NAIA or something.

Some of our "fans" belittle us for beating KY jelly. Mention that we beat our most hated rival (swept them)and they will say, well you lost to Cal or you went to the NIT or you couldn't beat SC and on and on.

Has it gotten to the point that Razorback pride turns a few vocal posters off? Every time someone says something good about the Hogs (on a Hog board) they get attacked. Crazy.
I spent most of my life drankin', gamblin', and chasing women, the rest I just wasted.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: TomBigBeeHog on July 24, 2014, 08:55:17 am
Every time someone says something good about the Hogs (on a Hog board) they get attacked. Crazy.

Every single time? Oh please. There are homers, there are realists, and then there are people who constantly and maliciously try and tell others what they should think with most of their posts.

There's nothing wrong with being a homer. There's nothing wrong with being a realist. But there is something wrong with a troll who can't respect the reasonable opinions of others.

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on July 24, 2014, 09:03:00 am
Every single time? Oh please. There are homers fans, there are realists critics/haters, and then there are people who constantly and maliciously try and tell others what they should think with most of their posts.

There's nothing wrong with being a homer fan. There's nothing wrong with being a realist critic/hater. But there is something wrong with a troll who can't respect the reasonable opinions of others.

fify   ;)
I spent most of my life drankin', gamblin', and chasing women, the rest I just wasted.

azhog10

I wouldn't give Cal credit for Kanter. The kid tried to come in after playing professionally overseas and play at UK. When he didn't get in he was hardly doing anything with the college squad.

azhog10

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on July 23, 2014, 10:16:16 pm
Kanter never played in a game due to eligibility, but he was at UK for at least six months under Cal. He was a Cal recruit, as that's all that matters in this regard. All of those guys I listed are either starting for their NBA teams, and/or are scoring in double digits per game as a solid rotation player (Kanter). That's a "really good career thus far."

However I thought the statement revolved around winning championships not just being a solid role player in the NBA. Utah was far from a championship team.

Ironhawg

Quote from: TomBigBeeHog on July 24, 2014, 09:09:58 am
fify   ;)

So if you see something about the current situation with the Hogs you think is wrong and you point that out that makes you a "hater"? 

PonderinHog

Quote from: azhog10 on July 24, 2014, 09:16:58 am
I wouldn't give Cal credit for Kanter. The kid tried to come in after playing professionally overseas and play at UK. When he didn't get in he was hardly doing anything with the college squad.
He probably thought, "Hey, it's Kentucky!  Who'll notice?"

TomBigBeeHog

I noticed that within minutes of my initial post I picked up a smite along with your response.

HA thanks for your contributions to my smite count. I want to have the highest ratio of smites to applauds in the history of Hogville. Thanks to you, I should be there by the before the start of bball season.

Really, it doesn't bother me at all. I like it, in a perverse sort of way. It's an endorsement of sorts.

Now, before you write your witty, sarcastic, snarky put down, just know that I aint mad. I'm laughing out loud as I type. oops. Lol at myself.

It is true that the case against you is circumstantial. However, the government has won convictions on much flimsier evidence. Besides, since this is a civil matter and not criminal (though maybe it should be), the burden is a mere preponderance of the evidence and not reasonable doubt. So, perhaps you should consider copping a plea. ;)

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: Ironhawg on July 24, 2014, 09:22:34 am
So if you see something about the current situation with the Hogs you think is wrong and you point that out that makes you a "hater"?

You must have missed that yellow thing with the blinking eye in my post. If you did, look again. It's there.

HawgAdvocate

July 24, 2014, 09:46:05 am #183 Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 10:24:40 am by HawgAdvocate
Quote from: azhog10 on July 24, 2014, 09:16:58 am

So how does Kanter get to UK, if not Cal? You're missing the context of the topic. It's churning out NBA players. He was still there practicing every day with future NBA players at UK.

Quote from: azhog10 on July 24, 2014, 09:18:48 am
However I thought the statement revolved around winning championships not just being a solid role player in the NBA. Utah was far from a championship team.

Again you're missing the context. The quote I responded to even mentioned Patrick Patterson and Cousins. Are the Raptors or Kings contending for a title anytime soon?

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: TomBigBeeHog on July 24, 2014, 09:09:58 am
fify   ;)

Some people are limited to seeing things in just black & white. It's some of those same people who seem to get angry with opinions that they can't seem to comprehend. I feel sorry for those people.

The rest of us, we can recognize plenty of gray in-between.

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on July 24, 2014, 09:03:00 am
Every single time? Oh please.

Yep. Every single time. There is no positive thread or topic started about the Hogs that doesn't get hijacked by the "realists".

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: TomBigBeeHog on July 24, 2014, 09:52:01 am
Yep. Every single time. There is no positive thread or topic started about the Hogs that doesn't get hijacked by the "realists".

And who has hijacked and derailed this Malik Monk thread? That'd be you.

It may have morphed into a UK/Arkansas narrative, but at least it was still revolving around Monk's future. 

Hawg Red

Quote from: TomBigBeeHog on July 24, 2014, 08:55:17 am
FCJ should continuously belittle Kenphucky for losing to Arkansas and for any other just cause real or imagined. I love that he sticks up for Arkansas when some of our most active posters make it a point to build cases about why we suck at everything. To listen to some of these people, we might as well give up and drop down to the NAIA or something.

Some of our "fans" belittle us for beating KY jelly. Mention that we beat our most hated rival (swept them)and they will say, well you lost to Cal or you went to the NIT or you couldn't beat SC and on and on.

Has it gotten to the point that Razorback pride turns a few vocal posters off? Every time someone says something good about the Hogs (on a Hog board) they get attacked. Crazy.

No, I'm sorry. This is complete horse sheet.

There are certain posters that can't bring themselves to be the least bit objective when it comes to Kentucky. I get a sense from FCJ that Arkansas is better than Kentucky because we swept them. Well, we're not. And it's kind of embarrassing to see our fans running around the forum thumping their chest over two regular season wins when we got bounced in the second round of the NIT and Kentucky goes to the NC game. We're not on there level right now, but FCJ tries to act like we're right there. We're not. We haven't been in the NCAAs since 2008. There's a difference between Razorback pride and ridiculousness. The stuff he says is just stupid a lot of the time. I think it's fair to criticize someone for saying something ridiculous, even if it is pro-Razorback.

GEO-HOG

I understand the 3 straight wins against UK is a big deal to us and not the Cats.  But I think as the media begins to hype this game up and renew the rivalry (if we continue to make it competitive) that UK will begin to care about the wins and losses against us.  I can't for the headlines when we play them, "3 losses in a row to Arkansas"

azhog10

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on July 24, 2014, 09:46:05 am
So how does Kanter get to UK, if not Cal? You're missing the context of the topic. It's churning out NBA players. He was still there practicing every day with future NBA players at UK.

Again you're missing the context. The quote I responded even mentioned Patrick Patterson and Cousins. Are the Raptors or Kings contending for a title anytime soon?
I would argue, if the point is a Cal player helping teams contend for championships in the NBA, I would argue there are very few if any that are doing just that.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: azhog10 on July 24, 2014, 10:21:19 am
I would argue, if the point is a Cal player helping teams contend for championships in the NBA, I would argue there are very few if any that are doing just that.

I would agree with that 100%. Though, that's not what I was discussing.

azhog10

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on July 24, 2014, 10:24:10 am
I would agree with that 100%. Though, that's not what I was discussing.
Fair enough. I just read the post that you replied to where he mentioned winning championships. But I also see now where he mentioned Cousins and Patterson, who I agree, are not winning championships either.

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: Hawg Red on July 24, 2014, 10:09:24 am
No, I'm sorry. This is complete horse sheet.

Hog sheet? maybe. Horse sheet? no way. Lol at the characterization.

Nevertheless, the point stands that its ok to poke at KY on a Hog board. They don't need us to build a case for why they are so good. They have their own board with its on fanatics. No need for us to suck it.

edit: if FCJ is so bothersome, use the ignore function. Makes the board so much more civil. Just a modest proposal.

Hawg Red

Quote from: TomBigBeeHog on July 24, 2014, 10:47:41 amedit: if FCJ is so bothersome, use the ignore function. Makes the board so much more civil. Just a modest proposal.

Because I don't believe in ignoring people, even if I disagree with them. If I disagree with something, I voice my disagreement. I want to see what even someone like FCJ has to say. And I've never been uncivil to FCJ. Him, on the other hand? It is what it is. No need to ignore someone.

HawgnCorona

You could argue the point but no one is really clamoring for these guys...Bledsoe I would agree with although injury prone the last two seasons. TJ is a role player, just ask J Harden.

NN is being developed right now by Sixers incoming Coach Brett Brown--Popovich clone. This is from an interview from the Vegas Summer League just completed. Which makes my point about Calipari...
Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all your getting, get understanding." --   Proverbs 4:7

Porkahontas

Quote from: PygmalionEffect on July 18, 2014, 06:04:03 pm
I agree.  And if he doesn't become a Razorback, Mike Anderson will be the reason.

This will be a "business decision", especially if he ends up at Kentucky. Florida is also in on him very heavy.

Again, we either play the game and win or we complain about top prospects going out of state to schools who do "play the game".

Him coming or not coming to Arkansas has zero to do with Mike Anderson. Pretty much the same as Archie Goodwin choosing Kentucky.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: HawgnCorona on July 24, 2014, 11:45:31 am
You could argue the point but no one is really clamoring for these guys...Bledsoe I would agree with although injury prone the last two seasons. TJ is a role player, just ask J Harden.

NN is being developed right now by Sixers incoming Coach Brett Brown--Popovich clone. This is from an interview from the Vegas Summer League just completed. Which makes my point about Calipari...

I don't think anyone should be under the impression that Calipari is turning high school stars into ready-made NBA All-Stars after just one season at UK. But Cal has obviously been successful in putting extremely talented teams together, and (far more often than not) finding ways to make individual alpha stars out of high school play as a successful college team, which is similar to how it is in the NBA. I think that's the appeal most of these high school stars, who go to UK, see when it comes to all these stars converging onto one program.

T. Jones may not be a star like Howard or Harden, but he did average 12 & 7  (19.31 PER) while starting 71 games in the regular season (+2 in the postseason) for a strong Rockets team in just his second season. Those numbers are very similar to what he did at UK during his two seasons there. If that's just a 'role player,' then I'm sure most college players would be happy with that sort of NBA career.

PorkRinds

If playing for and being coached by his own brother, and wanting his brother to see success as well doesn't get him here, There likely isn't anything MA could have done.

HawgnCorona

Quote from: Cure on July 21, 2014, 08:53:46 am
If he wants to practice against the best day in and day out, he goes to UK or UF. You aren't seeing that type of competition at Arkansas no matter how you spin it. Arkansas hasn't put a player in the league in quite some time, scouts aren't hounding the program as they once were. Mike does have some NBA talent in the program now, but even then Cal/Donovan run pro sets.

Both are coaches the NBA has been after, Donovan might be the next coach for Team USA, and both can point to multiple draft picks. Home is where the heart is, but money talks.

You can go any where in the country and play against top notch talent...its not exclusive to UK or UF. Beside its just pick-up games.

Arkansas hasnt put a player in the league because the program has been down. No spin and no surprises here...

But none of which speak is the point being made, right? Just sayin...

HawgnCorona

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on July 24, 2014, 01:27:09 pm
I don't think anyone should be under the impression that Calipari is turning high school stars into ready-made NBA All-Stars after just one season at UK. But Cal has obviously been successful in putting extremely talented teams together, and (far more often than not) finding ways to make individual alpha stars out of high school play as a successful college team, which is similar to how it is in the NBA. I think that's the appeal most of these high school stars, who go to UK, see when it comes to all these stars converging onto one program.

T. Jones may not be a star like Howard or Harden, but he did average 12 & 7  (19.31 PER) while starting 71 games in the regular season (+2 in the postseason) for a strong Rockets team in just his second season. Those numbers are very similar to what he did at UK during his two seasons there. If that's just a 'role player,' then I'm sure most college players would be happy with that sort of NBA career.

You are right...Im not but plenty of "impressionable" high school players are. He created the perfect storm, selling a brand they buy into. I wont get into "how" he is able to it so well...Can you say Willie Cauley-Stein has improved?

Whether Malik buys the hype--or not--remains to be seen.

As for TJ all that he has accomplished with Rockets you have to give most of that to the Rockets though?

"I think that's the appeal most of these high school stars, who go to UK, see when it comes to all these stars converging onto one program."

It may well be...It certainly make sense. We have a ways to go build back up but guys like Malik can certainly help us get there if only for one year.