Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Kentucky has offer Monk scholarship

Started by hdturner, July 17, 2014, 07:43:00 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Porked Tongue

If you really want to filter out a "family source", ask for them the locale of the mom's job.  Most are misinformed.

forrest city joe

Quote from: MountieDawg on July 21, 2014, 01:52:17 pm
Another article about Monk

http://www.kentucky.com/2014/07/21/3345544/2016-arkansas-standout-who-wowed.html?sp=/99/268/
I read that and it's nothing new. so Cal wants Monk bad. so does Mike Anderson. Mike wants him bad. and Mike is the one who keeps beat Cal.(3 times in a row and counting)

010HogFan

There's no way we get him. He's an obvious one and done and that's what Cal specializes in. The words in that article didn't sound good at all.

forrest city joe

Quote from: 010HogFan on July 21, 2014, 02:09:38 pm
There's no way we get him. He's an obvious one and done and that's what Cal specializes in. The words in that article didn't sound good at all.
Mike Anderson is going to get him for Arkansas. he will be 1 and done at Arkansas.see Joe Johnson.(and yes i know he was a 1 and a half and done player. but he played for Nolan and Mike. and is now one of the best paid players in the NBA.Monk does not need Cal to be a 1 and done NBA player. ask the Harrison Twins.

HawgAdvocate

July 21, 2014, 03:14:31 pm #105 Last Edit: July 21, 2014, 03:42:03 pm by HawgAdvocate
Quote from: 010HogFan on July 21, 2014, 02:09:38 pm

There's a similar (Kentucky) Scout article by Jeff Drummond that came out today. What really doesn't help the perception of many is all of the Malik-oriented UK recruiting press that has been coming out as of late. There's just been so many articles in recent weeks, most with direct comments from Malik discussing UK, Goodwin, and his conversations with Calipari, that it's going to be hard for many to keep at least a neutral opinion about where he'll end up.

As Porked stated though, it's still way too early to take any of this too seriously. Malik himself is quoted as saying he's planning to start taking his recruitment seriously once school starts up. Whatever favorable impressions that have been made this summer could be moot come this time next summer.

A once-in-a-blue-moon (no pun intended) article from Dudley about Malik and Arkansas really isn't doing much to stem the (perceived) tide. For Razorback fans it would be nice to see a few more engaging Arkansas press-contrived articles where Malik talks about his relationship with MA, Madden, and/or any favorable memories he had growing up, watching the Hogs. I don't know if I've read an article from this spring/summer where Malik himself actually comments on the Hogs and/or MA, aside from the both unfortunate and reoccurring neutral stance he appears to be taking in regards to his family's prior connections to the UofA.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

rzrbackramsfan

forrest city joe

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on July 21, 2014, 03:14:31 pm
There's a similar (Kentucky) Scout article by Jeff Drummond that came out today. What really doesn't help the perception of many is all of the Malik-oriented UK recruiting press that has been coming out as of late. There's just been so many articles in recent weeks, most with direct comments from Malik discussing UK, Goodwin, and his conversations with Calipari, that it's going to be hard for many to keep at least a neutral opinion about where he'll end up.

As Porked stated though, it's still way too early to take any of this too seriously. Malik himself is quoted as saying he's planning to start taking his recruitment seriously once school starts up. Whatever favorable impressions that have been made this summer could be moot come this time next summer.

A once-in-a-blue-moon (no pun intended) article from Dudley about Malik and Arkansas really isn't doing much to stem the (perceived) tide. For Razorback fans it would be nice to see a few more engaging Arkansas press-contrived articles where Malik talks about his relationship with MA, Madden, and/or any favorable memories he had growing up, watching the Hogs. I don't know if I've read an article from this spring/summer where Malik himself actually comments on the Hogs and/or MA, aside from the both unfortunate and reoccurring neutral stance he appears to be taking in regards to his family's prior connections to the UofA.
Hope all you want. Monk will be an Arkansas Razorback. and i can't wait until it happens.

PorkRinds

Quote from: -Blu on July 21, 2014, 01:20:00 pm
Didn't know you had the inside track like that big shot, your chillin with his mom and dad telling old stories, drinking Pina Colada, and discussing Malik's college decisions.  It's gotta be like you, dad, mom, and Marcus as the only people right now that's know what's going on with his recruitment right now, because everyone else is just guessing, because they've kept it pretty close to the chest so far.

If your so close to the mom and dad like that to they are telling you which coaches they do and don't like, why don't you just end all of our speculation and guessing and just tell us what the current situation is.  They obviously trust you enough to tell you about everything, and then come in message boards and repeat it back to us, so may as well go ahead and give us the inside scoop Mr. TMZ.

Kinda what I was thinking. If he knows them that well he's certainly betraying their trust by blabbing about it on a message board.

HawgAdvocate

"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

TeedupHigh

Quote from: hawgXi on July 18, 2014, 06:35:36 am
how did kentucky's "get up and down and run a lot" style of ball do last year against coach MA's hawgball?

but still played for the big trophy...

-Blu

Quote from: PorkRinds on July 21, 2014, 05:18:15 pm
Kinda what I was thinking. If he knows them that well he's certainly betraying their trust by blabbing about it on a message board.

He's Malik's agent.  He's just going around to different message boards to spark more interest and keep the Malik conversations going.  He's trying to get a bidding war going on in here.  8)

forrest city joe

Quote from: TeedupHigh on July 21, 2014, 05:22:18 pm
but still played for the big trophy...
even with all Cal's 5 stars, Mike Anderson has beat him 3 times in a row. what happen? Mike is a hell of a coach and person. and in the end i think that's why he will get M. Monk to Arkansas.Mike knows Monk is a must get.

870hogfan

Quote from: 20gauge on July 21, 2014, 10:14:32 am
Heard this from his dad on the Kansas deal. His mother told me she likes Cal better than MA. I heard the words from their mouths so believe what you want i dont really care.

Just dont be surprised either way MM makes a decision. ONly thing that has changed is Marcus has become a GA for the Hogs since the Kansas offer.

i hope he becomes a Hog, but Ill say again wouldnt be surprised if he turns us down and its very possible.

I call b.s. on this...

forrest city joe

Quote from: 870hogfan on July 21, 2014, 05:59:13 pm

I call b.s. on this...
It is BS. and i don't believe it for a moment. nothing but trolling.Monk will be a Razorback. i believe it.

Porked Tongue

Given his ranking and age, it will soon be easier to list the not offered schools.

hoglady

Monk will be offered by any and all  - he won't be overlooked by anyone.
Making plenty of AAU noise.
Kevaughn had a great weekend for Team Penney, too - still sick over losing him to Florida.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

jbcarol

Kentucky Sports Radio: KSR's annual trip down south for AAU basketball provided the opportunity to see several of the high school juniors and seniors... Rankings:

Quote1.) Malik Monk
Shooting Guard, 2016

I knew very little about Malik Monk before following John Calipari (fresh off his visit with LeBron) to Court 4 on Friday night, where Monk scored 40 points against eventual Peach Jam champion Team Penny. Monk's 40-piece came on 14-for-20 shooting from the field, including 6-of-10 from downtown.

Currently the third-ranked shooting guard and sixth overall in 247Sports' 2016 rankings, Monk made a strong case for being the best player in the class. He is an unstoppable scorer, whether it's attacking the rim off the dribble or shooting from outside.

Watch the highlights from that 40 point effort (video available via above link)...

2.) Jaylen Brown
Small Forward, 2015

As good as Malik Monk was, it still took some serious thinking to put him above Jaylen Brown. I should call them 1a and 1b in the rankings...
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

The Hogfather

Quote from: MountieDawg on July 21, 2014, 01:52:17 pm
Another article about Monk

http://www.kentucky.com/2014/07/21/3345544/2016-arkansas-standout-who-wowed.html?sp=/99/268/

Sure does sound like he's been Kentucky brainwashed by Archie and friends.  It doesn't help that Marcus is parroting the things we hear from the "experts" all the time about Calipari "developing" all this talent at UK:

Monk said he watches all of Kentucky's games and has been friends with former Wildcats guard Archie Goodwin — a fellow Arkansan — since the seventh grade. Monk noticed Calipari on the sidelines during his games last week.

The brothers like the UK coach's track record for developing top prospects into pros.

"You can just look at the history and see that it's a proven fact that they're doing something right," Marcus said. "That's good to have hard facts. You don't have to ask people; you can do your own research.

"You just know that he knows how to manage those type of players, and he's had a lot of great players come through his system."

Read more here: http://www.kentucky.com/2014/07/21/3345544/2016-arkansas-standout-who-wowed.html?sp=/99/268/&ihp=0##storylink=cpy

Ironhawg

Quote from: The Hogfather on July 22, 2014, 07:58:16 am
Sure does sound like he's been Kentucky brainwashed by Archie and friends.  It doesn't help that Marcus is parroting the things we hear from the "experts" all the time about Calipari "developing" all this talent at UK:

Monk said he watches all of Kentucky's games and has been friends with former Wildcats guard Archie Goodwin — a fellow Arkansan — since the seventh grade. Monk noticed Calipari on the sidelines during his games last week.

The brothers like the UK coach's track record for developing top prospects into pros.

"You can just look at the history and see that it's a proven fact that they're doing something right," Marcus said. "That's good to have hard facts. You don't have to ask people; you can do your own research.

"You just know that he knows how to manage those type of players, and he's had a lot of great players come through his system."

Read more here: http://www.kentucky.com/2014/07/21/3345544/2016-arkansas-standout-who-wowed.html?sp=/99/268/&ihp=0##storylink=cpy

He's gone.  At this point I wish he'd just get it over with and commit so we can move on.

Carl Lazlo

"I can't coach you!" John  Calipari

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: Ironhawg on July 22, 2014, 08:20:16 am
He's gone.  At this point I wish he'd just get it over with and commit so we can move on.

Seeing 19 players drafted over the past five drafts is a number no program can touch these days. But, the silver lining is that UK also may end up getting a commitment from Tyus Battle before Monk could/would. If that happens, would UK even be on Monk's radar?

forrest city joe

Quote from: The Hogfather on July 22, 2014, 07:58:16 am

All well and good. don't go by what you read and hear all the time. M. Monk will play for Mike Anderson and the Razorbacks.

MountieDawg

Quote from: forrest city joe on July 21, 2014, 05:51:01 pm
even with all Cal's 5 stars, Mike Anderson has beat him 3 times in a row. what happen? Mike is a hell of a coach and person. and in the end i think that's why he will get M. Monk to Arkansas.Mike knows Monk is a must get.

But Kentucky is Arkansas' NCAA CHAMPIONSHIP GAME. Kentucky does not get excited about the game with Arkansas... None of the kids on Kentucky's team were alive when Arkansas had a good basketball team. Kentucky's National CHAMPIONSHIP GAME is the NCAA CHAMPIONSHIP GAME. I think Monk will stay at Arkansas since his brother was hired. Plus he can make it one and done from anywhere... He would just come out of Kentucky with more endorsement deals....
SEC!

forrest city joe

Quote from: Ironhawg on July 22, 2014, 08:20:16 am

Pure BS. and i am saving all these he's gone post so i can bring them back to the board when he is playing for Mike Anderson. Monk is going to be a Razorbacks.

forrest city joe

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on July 22, 2014, 09:45:08 am
Seeing 19 players drafted over the past five drafts is a number no program can touch these days. But, the silver lining is that UK also may end up getting a commitment from Tyus Battle before Monk could/would. If that happens, would UK even be on Monk's radar?
Keep hoping Mike Anderson does not get him. going to be fun when he's a Razorback.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: forrest city joe on July 22, 2014, 09:51:46 am
Keep hoping Mike Anderson does not get him. going to be fun when he's a Razorback.

Keep reading, maybe the light bulb will turn on for you eventually. I never said anything about hoping Monk doesn't come here. I want Monk to be a Hog. So stupid.

forrest city joe

Quote from: MountieDawg on July 22, 2014, 09:49:50 am
But Kentucky is Arkansas' NCAA CHAMPIONSHIP GAME. Kentucky does not get excited about the game with Arkansas... None of the kids on Kentucky's team were alive when Arkansas had a good basketball team. Kentucky's National CHAMPIONSHIP GAME is the NCAA CHAMPIONSHIP GAME. I think Monk will stay at Arkansas since his brother was hired. Plus he can make it one and done from anywhere... He would just come out of Kentucky with more endorsement deals....
Sounds like an excuse for Mike out coaching Cal to me. he takes less talent and beats a team of Cal's 5 stars. KY is the championship game of most teams they play.yet only FL and ARK. has beat Cal 3 times in a row. how come no one else have done it?

The Hogfather

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on July 22, 2014, 09:45:08 am
Seeing 19 players drafted over the past five drafts is a number no program can touch these days.

Statements like these make my skin crawl. 

It is impressive, no doubt.  It just has very, very little to do with UK or Calipari and more to do with kids like Monk deciding to head out of state to be "turned into a lottery pick".  If all the same kids headed to Fayetteville, Arkansas would be Lottery Pick U.

forrest city joe

Quote from: The Hogfather on July 22, 2014, 09:59:04 am
Statements like these make my skin crawl. 

It is impressive, no doubt.  It just has very, very little to do with UK or Calipari and more to do with kids like Monk deciding to head out of state to be "turned into a lottery pick".  If all the same kids headed to Fayetteville, Arkansas would be Lottery Pick U.
BINGO! +1000

MountieDawg

Quote from: forrest city joe on July 22, 2014, 09:57:35 am
Sounds like an excuse for Mike out coaching Cal to me. he takes less talent and beats a team of Cal's 5 stars. KY is the championship game of most teams they play.yet only FL and ARK. has beat Cal 3 times in a row. how come no one else have done it?

He has beaten Call 3 times in a row.... Does that make him a better coach????  Are all the coaches that have beaten Anderson's teams a better coach than MA.
SEC!

MountieDawg

Quote from: forrest city joe on July 22, 2014, 10:00:04 am
BINGO! +1000

Yes he has had some great players.... But Josh Harrelson, DeAndre Liggins and Darrius Miller were drafted... They were not expected to ever make it to the NBA.... Cal wants to get them to the NBA but he wants to put them in a position to win Championships....  He has proven he will get them deep in the tourney...
SEC!

Kevin

if he commits to the hogs, it will be made out as a statement for coach anderson.

if he doesn't commit to the hogs, it will not be made out as a statement of coach anderson, it will be nothing but excuses protecting the coach.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

MountieDawg

Quote from: forrest city joe on July 22, 2014, 10:00:04 am
BINGO! +1000

Yes he has had some great players.... But Josh Harrelson, DeAndre Liggins and Darrius Miller were drafted... They were not expected to ever make it to the NBA.... Cal wants to get them to the NBA but he wants to put them in a position to win Championships....  He has proven he will get them deep in the tourney...
SEC!

MountieDawg

SEC!

The Hogfather

forrest city joe

Quote from: Kevin on July 22, 2014, 10:37:41 am
if he commits to the hogs, it will be made out as a statement for coach anderson.

if he doesn't commit to the hogs, it will not be made out as a statement of coach anderson, it will be nothing but excuses protecting the coach.
I can turn it around and say when he commits to Mike and Arkansas, it will be because his brother is a G.A. there.while if he leaves, it will be because Mike is a terrible recruiter. see two can play that game.

Kevin

Quote from: forrest city joe on July 22, 2014, 10:46:01 am
I can turn it around and say when he commits to Mike and Arkansas, it will be because his brother is a G.A. there.while if he leaves, it will be because Mike is a terrible recruiter. see two can play that game.
you will not give marcus credit. it will be all coach anderson, as it probably should be.

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

forrest city joe

Quote from: MountieDawg on July 22, 2014, 10:40:41 am
CAL's 5 Stars get drafted higher and more often than any other top coach.

http://kentuckysportsradio.com/basketball-2/the-best-coaches-with-5-star-recruits-in-college-basketball/
That's because he get's the very top HS guys most years. most would have been drafted the same right out of HS.J. Parker and Andrew Wiggins, were drafted 1 and 2 in the NBA this year. and neither played for Cal at KY.they were the 1 and 2 HS players in the nation before going to Duke and Kansas. matters not where you go. matters how good you are.the Harrison twins came in as 1 and done players. they are still at KY.

forrest city joe

Quote from: Kevin on July 22, 2014, 10:50:13 am
you will not give marcus credit. it will be all coach anderson, as it probably should be.

I don't care who get's the credit if Monk comes here.(i believe he will)the process will play out. and i believe he will be a razorback.

Porked Tongue

ricepig

Quote from: Porked Tongue on July 22, 2014, 11:03:00 am
It's going to be a long year.

Are you just now coming to this realization??

forrest city joe

Quote from: Porked Tongue on July 22, 2014, 11:03:00 am
It's going to be a long year.
I have a feeling it's going to be a very good year.GO HOGS.

Porked Tongue

MountieDawg

Quote from: forrest city joe on July 22, 2014, 10:52:24 am
That's because he get's the very top HS guys most years. most would have been drafted the same right out of HS.J. Parker and Andrew Wiggins, were drafted 1 and 2 in the NBA this year. and neither played for Cal at KY.they were the 1 and 2 HS players in the nation before going to Duke and Kansas. matters not where you go. matters how good you are.the Harrison twins came in as 1 and done players. they are still at KY.

The Twins could have gone to the NBA this year...One in the 1st round and one in the 2nd... Dakari would have been a 1st round... but they want to win a Championship.
SEC!

HawgnCorona

Quote from: MountieDawg on July 22, 2014, 10:36:10 am

Yeah, but that is pretty much a given and very easy when all of your recruits are 5* athletes. But the downside to all of this is evident in selfish play that takes practically the entire season to jell. If they do at all...

That said they aren't any more developed than the HOGS, just more talented. But the UofA plays much better as a team. Which is why UK got that azzz kicked this season.

UK is selling a brand that appeals to kids that get caught up in the thought they can be one and  done. Undeveloped and sitting at the end of someones bench, most of the time--Say HI Archie!

I have watched every game that Julius Randle has played in the Vegas Summer League. I can tell you he is a terrific talent which you all know, but has tends to play undisciplined and even though he has a high motor he play lackadaisical at times.

In other words Calipari hasn't do much to develop ANYONE...Emmanuel Mudiay got it right. As a college choices goes. Stay close to home...And dont believe the hype!!!

Of those 19teen mentioned only Walls, Cousins, Davis, Rose so far are producing. And one other that escapes my memory.
Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all your getting, get understanding." --   Proverbs 4:7

"Live justly, love mercy and to walk humbly with the Most High."-- Micah 6:8

forrest city joe

Quote from: MountieDawg on July 22, 2014, 03:10:19 pm
The Twins could have gone to the NBA this year...One in the 1st round and one in the 2nd... Dakari would have been a 1st round... but they want to win a Championship.
How about being able to beat Arkansas first, before you win a NC ? they will not win it this year either. GO HOGS.

MountieDawg

July 23, 2014, 09:30:32 am #148 Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 11:19:59 am by MountieDawg
Quote from: HawgnCorona on July 22, 2014, 03:54:13 pm
Yeah, but that is pretty much a given and very easy when all of your recruits are 5* athletes. But the downside to all of this is evident in selfish play that takes practically the entire season to jell. If they do at all...

That said they aren't any more developed than the HOGS, just more talented. But the UofA plays much better as a team. Which is why UK got that azzz kicked this season.

UK is selling a brand that appeals to kids that get caught up in the thought they can be one and  done. Undeveloped and sitting at the end of someones bench, most of the time--Say HI Archie!

I have watched every game that Julius Randle has played in the Vegas Summer League. I can tell you he is a terrific talent which you all know, but has tends to play undisciplined and even though he has a high motor he play lackadaisical at times.

In other words Calipari hasn't do much to develop ANYONE...Emmanuel Mudiay got it right. As a college choices goes. Stay close to home...And dont believe the hype!!!

Of those 19teen mentioned only Walls, Cousins, Davis, Rose so far are producing. And one other that escapes my memory.

Quote from: HawgnCorona on July 22, 2014, 03:54:13 pm

Cal also has Derek Rose, Tyreke Evans, Eric Bledsoe, Michael Kidd-Gilchrist, Patrick Patteson all starting in the NBA that Cal developed... Kentucky has an alumni game each summer where all of the NBA players from Kentucky come back and play...  Most schools are lucky to have a 1 on 1 competition... 
SEC!

Hawg Red

Quote from: MountieDawg on July 23, 2014, 09:30:32 am
Cal also has Jalen Rose, Tyreke Evans, Eric Bledsoe, Michael Kidd-Gilchrist, Patrick Patteson all starting in the NBA that Cal developed... Kentucky has an alumni game each summer where all of the NBA players from Kentucky come back and play...  Most schools are lucky to have a 1 on 1 competition...

Jalen Rose?