Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Finebaum says Saban turned down a $100 Million offer from Texas

Started by jbcarol, July 17, 2014, 09:20:43 am

Previous topic - Next topic

hellwonthaveme

Quote from: sevenof400 on July 18, 2014, 09:02:53 pm
I am your worst nightmare because I am demanding you cite facts as opposed to your moronic drivel. 

Your nightmare continues.

Such a fact-free post - absent of fact again. 

You are playing the part of the sniveling, whining toddler rather well.  Obviously, your girlfriend and your coworkers enjoy seeing you so worked up because it is rather easy to do.  If the SEC were so obviously helping Alabama, you shouldn't have any problem citing one specific example.

You can't because it doesn't happen.

The problem with you running at the mouth like this is is makes Arkansas fans look like whiny little biotches who can't stand the sting of competition.  Just shut up and let the team on the field do the talking. 

Even if you are unwilling on the second part, for the love of God please do the first.   

Or what? You gonna poison my trees?

My worst nightmare? LOL. You ain't got enough hair on your ass.

Alabama is protected. Plain and simple. Everybody knows that...except you.

So keep bumping your gums...about whatever it is you are jibbering about....

Don't you have some construction to vandalize?

PRJ

hellwonthaveme

Quote from: sevenof400 on July 18, 2014, 09:02:53 pm
I am your worst nightmare because I am demanding you cite facts as opposed to your moronic drivel. 

Your nightmare continues.

Such a fact-free post - absent of fact again. 

You are playing the part of the sniveling, whining toddler rather well.  Obviously, your girlfriend and your coworkers enjoy seeing you so worked up because it is rather easy to do.  If the SEC were so obviously helping Alabama, you shouldn't have any problem citing one specific example.

You can't because it doesn't happen.

The problem with you running at the mouth like this is is makes Arkansas fans look like whiny little biotches who can't stand the sting of competition.  Just shut up and let the team on the field do the talking. 

Even if you are unwilling on the second part, for the love of God please do the first.   

And just for Schlitz and giggles...

Since 2000 Alabama has had to play 2 of the 3 teams mentioned in a season 4 times.  2 of those seasons the only reason they played 2 of them was because of the SEC championship game. In 2012 the only reason they played one was because of the SEC championship game. Last year, didn't draw a single one....

Now let's compare this years schedule with the SEC champions schedule this year.

First the crimson tide.

West Virginia...I'm Atlanta..a home game
Florida Atlantic
Southern Miss
Florida
Open date
Ole Piss
Arkansas
Texas A&M
Tennessee
Open date.
LSU.....hmm
Mississippi St
Western Carolina
Auburn.

Now Auburn
Arkansas
San Jose St
Open date
Kansas St
Louisiana Tech
LSU
Mississippi St
Open Date
South Carolina
Ole Miss
Texas A&M
Georgia
Stamford
Alabama.

Now....you can play even field all you want. It isn't and you know it.

Your witness, Harvey

PRJ

Mike Irwin

Quote from: Porkrind Jimmy on July 18, 2014, 09:30:01 pm
Or what? You gonna poison my trees?

My worst nightmare? LOL. You ain't got enough hair on your ass.

Alabama is protected. Plain and simple. Everybody knows that...except you.

So keep bumping your gums...about whatever it is you are jibbering about....

Don't you have some construction to vandalize?

PRJ
The first year Arkansas was in the SEC I came out of the media hotel the first morning of the conference basketball tournament IN BIRMINGHAM. A longtime member of the Tennessee media was with me. He'd been explaining to me how things work in this new league I was experiencing. He pointed across the street to a building and said, "See that? That's the SEC office. The people that work there are surrounded every single day by Alabama fans with a few Auburn fans mixed in. That's all you need to know about how things work in the SEC."

I remember thinking, In the SWC they at least had the good sense to locate the conference office in Dallas, not Austin.

Mike Irwin

Quote from: sevenof400 on July 19, 2014, 10:27:16 am
And still....we wait...for your first post to substantiate any of your juvenile rants.
Who is "we?"

Mike Irwin

The majority of Razorback fans I've talked to over the last 22 years believe that Alabama controls the SEC. I know some Auburn fans who believe it too. ;D

hellwonthaveme

Quote from: sevenof400 on July 19, 2014, 10:27:16 am
And still....we wait...for your first post to substantiate any of your juvenile rants. 

Juvenile rants? You were the big man telling me that you were my worst nightmare like a 12 year old ginger on the playground.....

As far as your other jibberish...you continue to protect and defend.

Vote about this..vote about that. Fact is Bama is protected. From scheduling to open violations of whatever they want to do. Players posing in pictures with 10's of thousands of dollars....on and on and on.

It is open and blatant. Alabama is the Texass of the old SWC. The difference is I don't have the extreme hatred for Bama as I do the teasips...so you got that going for you.

Common sense man....common sense

PRJ

Hogwild

Quote from: sevenof400 on July 18, 2014, 08:22:20 pm
It is a tired argument and an illogical one.  There are loads of problems with the current SEC schedule - problems that work for and against all teams. 

But while we are at this, Alabama has played all three of the teams you mentioned so you are incorrect.  Your expectation that Alabama should play them when you feel like they should play them reeks of petulance. 

Instead of bitching that a team has an easier SEC schedule, why not propose a solution to the problem.  I'm sure Mike Slive, the AD's and coaches would love to hear your better solution. 

The success of every SEC teams has been up and down in the two decades plus the SEC has been in its current makeup and unless you've been on this bandwagon the entire time, your complaint is meritless. 

By the way, the black helicopters are just over the horizon.

He was right Bama has got the SEC schedule maker in their pocket.
Since 2000- UGA & Florida
Has played Auburn 19 times
Has played LSU 18 times
Has played Bama 8 times

Since the SEC expanded and bridge scheduling was announced. Bama's SEC East opponents conference wins totals for 2012&13 seasons is 5. 4th year in a row that Bama has had the easiest schedule in the SEC West, 2 time in 4 years easiest in the conference. LSU will be on the only team that Bama plays this year on the road, that had a winning conference record last year, other 4 teams went 7-26 in conference play.

2014 Toughest SEC schedule
1. Arkansas (20)
2. Auburn (23.9)
3. LSU (24.4)
4. Kentucky (24.9)
5. Mississippi St. (29)
6. Missouri (29.2)
7. Tennessee (29.6)
8. Florida (30.3)
9. Ole Miss (30.8)
10. Vanderbilt (31.3)
11. Texas A&M (33)
12. South Carolina (34.9)
13. Georgia (35.8)
14. Alabama (39)

Hogwild

Quote from: sevenof400 on July 19, 2014, 11:56:46 am
Hogwild,

Wouldn't you agree then the preferred solution is to push for the end of 6-1-1 scheduling?

yes or switch Mizzou & Auburn's divisons, or at worst go with Spurrier's thinking and only count divisional games

Mike Irwin

Quote from: sevenof400 on July 19, 2014, 11:15:02 am
And still, you...can't....cite...one...specific....fact...or...instance...
Here's one. The SEC office is smack dab in the middle of the biggest  chunk of the Alabama fan base.

Why?

Why not Atlanta?

Why not Nashville?

Why is SEC Media Days held in Birmingham every freaking year where the Alabama media dominates everything that goes on?

The only reason they don't play the SEC football championship or the SEC basketball tournament there is the lack of a suitable facility. If they had one those two events would be there along with the SEC baseball tournament which is held every year at the craphole Hoover Met.

Fatty McGee

Quote from: Mike Irwin on July 19, 2014, 12:24:53 pm
Here's one. The SEC office is smack dab in the middle of the biggest  chunk of the Alabama fan base.

Why?

Why not Atlanta?

Why not Nashville?

Why is SEC Media Days held in Birmingham every freaking year where the Alabama media dominates everything that goes on?

The only reason they don't play the SEC football championship or the SEC basketball tournament there is the lack of a suitable facility. If they had one those two events would be there along with the SEC baseball tournament which is held every year at the craphole Hoover Met.

Well, when we chose the money we can't say we didn't know what we were getting into.  We hated the SWC in part because it was Texas dominated, but as you said at least that league office was in Dallas.  So we left it for more competition (less winning), another version of Texas, and more money.
Bandit: Hey wait a minute, wait a minute. Why do you want that beer so bad?
Little Enos: Cause he's thirsty, dummy!

Mike Irwin

The explanation that has always been given is that they got a better deal in Birmingham.

Not sure "better deal" is what we want in this situation. A pro sports city the the best place for a college conference office.

They got it right in the old SWC.

I think Nashville would be perfect. Atlanta would be acceptable too.

Birmingham is totally the wrong place to have it.

hawkhawg

Even Alabama fans will admit that Alabama is favored by the SEC.

Hogwild

That bad thing about the future schedules is that LSU & Auburn bitched so much about the Bama situation that the SEC set them up the next few years.

LSU gets Kentucky& Mizzouri, at home within the next 3 years
Auburn after this year gets Kentucky, Vandy, and Mizzouri.
Ole Miss & Arkansas the next three seasons get Florida, UGA, & UT.

We go back to Florida again before we go back to Nashville.  If they don't switch the current format we will go 14 years between games at Vandy.

Mike Irwin

Quote from: sevenof400 on July 19, 2014, 12:53:51 pm
A couple of other maps here:

Click here for the calculated geographical midpoint of the SEC.

Click here for a zoom in of the calculated geographical midpoint of the SEC.

In this day of much more convenient travel, being in the geographic center is nowhere near as important as it once was but it isn't hard to understand why the office was established in Birmingham.
Right.

Like I said the reason given is that they were given a better deal on their offices.
The SEC doesn't need a better deal. It needs a conference office not located square in the middle of the fan base of a particular school in that conference.

Hogwild

Quote from: Mike Irwin on July 19, 2014, 03:49:48 pm
Right.

Like I said the reason given is that they were given a better deal on their offices.
The SEC doesn't need a better deal. It needs a conference office not located square in the middle of the fan base of a particular school in that conference.

+1 couldn't have said it better

forrest city joe

I 100% agree with Mike Irwin and PRJ on this one. and i have been outraged about this for years.not only the things they have pointed out. but watch how the refs call the games for Bama. they get away with what other teams get flags for.their O-Linemen tackle people and almost never get call for it unless they have a big lead and it does not matter. their DB are allowed to hold and grab and put their hands all over the WR's with no call. Bama and Saban get everything they want from the Sec. it's sickening to watch every year.

forrest city joe

Quote from: Hogwild on July 19, 2014, 01:56:14 pm
That bad thing about the future schedules is that LSU & Auburn bitched so much about the Bama situation that the SEC set them up the next few years.

LSU gets Kentucky& Mizzouri, at home within the next 3 years
Auburn after this year gets Kentucky, Vandy, and Mizzouri.
Ole Miss & Arkansas the next three seasons get Florida, UGA, & UT.

We go back to Florida again before we go back to Nashville.  If they don't switch the current format we will go 14 years between games at Vandy.
I brought this up a while back, and had some Hog fans making excuses for this joke.+1000 for your pose.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: Fatty McGee on July 19, 2014, 12:28:12 pm
Well, when we chose the money we can't say we didn't know what we were getting into.  We hated the SWC in part because it was Texas dominated, but as you said at least that league office was in Dallas.  So we left it for more competition (less winning), another version of Texas, and more money.

Troof.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

LZH

Quote from: Mike Irwin on July 19, 2014, 12:37:29 pm
The explanation that has always been given is that they got a better deal in Birmingham.

Not sure "better deal" is what we want in this situation. A pro sports city the the best place for a college conference office.

Dothan.

hellwonthaveme

Quote from: sevenof400 on July 19, 2014, 12:12:25 pm
Check this article out. 

All of us here know scheduling has been an issue for some time, but the problem is the lack of a solution.  All i want is to push for a solution instead of looking like whiners. 

That is the problem. There isn't any way to push for a solution. As long as Alive is commissioner... there will never be a push.

PRJ

dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya

I'm not defending my prediction, but I do think Saban was a lot closer to going to Texas than most believe.

Just not as close as I believed, unfortunately.
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

R.I.P. notshavintilnuttgo 12/11/07

Bryant Disciple

July 20, 2014, 04:32:53 am #71 Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 04:55:27 am by Bryant Disciple
In 2010, every single SEC opponent Bama played had an open date the week before the game with Alabama. Every single one! The schedule was loaded against Bama.

People (Les Miles, etc.) complain about Bama playing Tennessee annually like it's a gimme game. But during Fat Phil's glory days, no one wanted to play UT. Bama-UT has traditionally been one of the greatest rivalries in college football. It's not Bama's fault that UT can't get its act together.

Saban has relentlessly sought to add quality OOC opponents to Bama's schedule. Most recently Bama added USC. In recent years, Bama has opened the season against Clemson, Penn State, Michigan, Virginia Tech. This year it will be West Virginia. Next year Wisconsin.... and the next year USC.

Mike Irwin

uams1989

Quote from: Mike Irwin on July 19, 2014, 12:37:29 pm

As a Bama fan, I am sensitive to the claims against the office being in Bhm, but, how would it be any more fair to be in Nashville than Bhm?  Granted you have Vandy (and in Nashville at that!) but TN really only has one school. If you think there's home cooking in Bhm, moving it to Nashville won't be any better and might be worse because you don't have an Auburn in the state to counter. Would you be comfortable moving it to New Orleans?

The same goes for Atlanta, although, I think that would be a better choice than Nashville.

The ultimate point is that you're going to have this problem or complaint with any city in the SEC. And are you going to fire everyone when you move it and hire all local people (who are likely fans of the state school?)

I will be the admitted homer and say I don't believe Bama influences the conference office like everyone thinks. I've known people who work for the conference and I personally believe they are very conscious of the concern. I will tell you a good friend who works there and is a Bama alum won't give me any breaks on tickets for anything!

When did you work in Dothan?  Ironically, my family moved from Dothan to Hot Springs Village in the late '70s. If you're not a fan of driving in a big circle or not a fan of anything and everything peanuts, you probably wouldn't like Dothan or the Wiregrass.

I do appreciate what you bring to Hogville. 
"They got a name for the winners in the world...
They call Alabama the Crimson Tide..."

forrest city joe

hoghiker

Quote from: uams1989 on July 21, 2014, 06:06:30 pm
As a Bama fan, I am sensitive to the claims against the office being in Bhm, but, how would it be any more fair to be in Nashville than Bhm?  Granted you have Vandy (and in Nashville at that!) but TN really only has one school. If you think there's home cooking in Bhm, moving it to Nashville won't be any better and might be worse because you don't have an Auburn in the state to counter. Would you be comfortable moving it to New Orleans?

The same goes for Atlanta, although, I think that would be a better choice than Nashville.

The ultimate point is that you're going to have this problem or complaint with any city in the SEC. And are you going to fire everyone when you move it and hire all local people (who are likely fans of the state school?)

I will be the admitted homer and say I don't believe Bama influences the conference office like everyone thinks. I've known people who work for the conference and I personally believe they are very conscious of the concern. I will tell you a good friend who works there and is a Bama alum won't give me any breaks on tickets for anything!

When did you work in Dothan?  Ironically, my family moved from Dothan to Hot Springs Village in the late '70s. If you're not a fan of driving in a big circle or not a fan of anything and everything peanuts, you probably wouldn't like Dothan or the Wiregrass.

I do appreciate what you bring to Hogville. 
Anywhere but Alabama.

The Galloping Ghost

"The only football players in my time were fellows who really loved to play football. They were not in it for the money. There wasn't much money there. They would have played football for nothing."

Mike Irwin

Quote from: The Galloping Ghost on July 21, 2014, 08:05:09 pm
Dothan is one of the nicest cities in Alabama.
Might have changed in the last 40 years, I don't know because I've never had any desire to go back there.

An old hog fanatic

If the story is true then that is where two idiots met...Texas for making that kind of offer and Saban for turning it down. I doubt if the number was actually that high,but who knows other than those involved.
Winners never quit and bitchers do - Lanny

Mike Irwin

Quote from: An old hog fanatic on July 22, 2014, 08:45:17 am
If the story is true then that is where two idiots met...Texas for making that kind of offer and Saban for turning it down. I doubt if the number was actually that high,but who knows other than those involved.
There is very little doubt in my mind that the source of this story is Jimmy Sexton. When Nutt was at Arkansas Sexton had a reputation of talking to anybody just about anybody he could verify as a working member of the media. Whatever he said was usually viewed as an attempt to pump up himself as the greatest agent in the business.

It certainly would build his image to have coaches around the country believing that he had negotiated a $100 million deal for Nick Saban.

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: Mike Irwin on July 22, 2014, 10:25:19 am
There is very little doubt in my mind that the source of this story is Jimmy Sexton. When Nutt was at Arkansas Sexton had a reputation of talking to anybody just about anybody he could verify as a working member of the media. Whatever he said was usually viewed as an attempt to pump up himself as the greatest agent in the business.

It certainly would build his image to have coaches around the country believing that he had negotiated a $100 million deal for Nick Saban.

Seeing what Sexton got Nutt for years and years...I'd say Sexton may very well be the greatest agent in the business.
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

Magic_Hogg

Surely this is not true.  100 million is too big a number for any coach to say No to

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: sevenof400 on July 20, 2014, 06:06:30 pm
And you survived!  Can't be all bad then can it Mike?

Armpit of Alabama = a tie between Dothan and Montgomery.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Mike Irwin

Quote from: Magic_Hogg on July 22, 2014, 10:46:09 am
Surely this is not true.  100 million is too big a number for any coach to say No to
Obviously I wasn't there but I doubt any final numbers were discussed. I think Saban is telling the truth when he said he never talked to anybody from Texas. Therefore it was all Sexton. He may have thrown out a crazy number and wasn't told no. That doesn't mean that if the negotiations had gotten serious that Texas was willing to pay a crazy number.

dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya

Quote from: Mike Irwin on July 22, 2014, 11:02:11 am
Obviously I wasn't there but I doubt any final numbers were discussed. I think Saban is telling the truth when he said he never talked to anybody from Texas. Therefore it was all Sexton. He may have thrown out a crazy number and wasn't told no. That doesn't mean that if the negotiations had gotten serious that Texas was willing to pay a crazy number.

This is the most logical conclusion.
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

R.I.P. notshavintilnuttgo 12/11/07

RT1941

Quote from: Fatty McGee on July 19, 2014, 12:28:12 pm
When you whore yourself out for the $$, better not bitch about the size of the pricks.
RazorTusk!!!!

razorbackkid

When a topic begins with "Finebaum says"....one should assume that what follows is full of crap.  :)
I would rather live as if there is a God and find out there isn't, than to live as if there isn't and find out there is.

flynhog

With that amount of money he could pay his players in cash after practice.  How easy would that be?  I call B.S.
Wins are the only things that matter when the game ends.  The mistakes that happen in the game are corrected by good coaching during the week. A season of near losses means you won every game.