Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

AU reports 21 secondary violations

Started by JackJohnson, July 17, 2014, 03:35:08 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

JackJohnson

Big Papa Satan

That's merely what they're admitting to.

Rzbakfromwaybak

Gee...21 violations  ???   Looks like Auburn doesn't have a...."No Tolerance Policy"...for secondary violations?  If they do, it doesn't appear to be working real well ...
...& these were just the self-reported ones? 

Maybe their "No Tolerance" thing doesn't kick in until they reach the 50 mark?

Guess this means another 3rd string player will have to be dismissed from the team  ;D
Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.

southeasthog

The most interesting violation involved Rashaan Evans, the 5-star linebacker from the city of Auburn who snubbed the Tigers on last year's signing day to sign with rival Alabama.

Think it would have been reported if he would have signed with Auburn?

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: southeasthog on July 18, 2014, 05:20:06 am
The most interesting violation involved Rashaan Evans, the 5-star linebacker from the city of Auburn who snubbed the Tigers on last year's signing day to sign with rival Alabama.

Think it would have been reported if he would have signed with Auburn?

Not in a million years..............................
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

HyperDrive

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on July 18, 2014, 08:43:44 am
Not in a million years..............................

Of course it would have.  Self-reporting minor violations like this garners basically zero chance of any NCAA sanctions.  The whole point of self-reporting them is that you know in doing so there's more or less amnesty for minor and inadvertent rules violations.  Teams report the stupidest stuff like butt dialing a prospect.  Oklahoma reported some sort of deal where a couple of players may have had a $3.83 pasta meal paid for.

Only way you get in real trouble for any of this is if you try to hide it and it's discovered later or if you had just a ton of them.  As my previous post showed, 21 is really not that many for a major college athletic program these days.

JackJohnson

Quote from: HyperDrive on July 18, 2014, 09:04:57 am
For some perspective, Alabama had...

31 secondary violations in 2013

27 secondary violations in 2012

Oklahoma reported almost 50 secondary violations in the 2013 reporting period.

Ohio State had 24 of them.

This post Reminds me of when my kid comes home with a C on his report card and rather than owning up and taking responsibility he proceeds to tell me about the kids that got a D. 

HyperDrive

July 19, 2014, 03:30:54 pm #8 Last Edit: July 19, 2014, 10:30:40 pm by HyperDrive
Quote from: JackJohnson on July 19, 2014, 03:05:54 pm
This post Reminds me of when my kid comes home with a C on his report card and rather than owning up and taking responsibility he proceeds to tell me about the kids that got a D.

Self-reporting such violations is owning up and taking responsibility.  The NCAA rulebook is so insanely dense and intricate that it's virtually impossible for a program to go through a year and not have committed some sort of secondary, minor violation.  The NCAA expects you to report even accidental, inadvertent and unforeseen violations committed.

My point in showing this is that Auburn isn't any different than any other team in major college football, including Arkansas.  They all end up self-reporting a dozen or two of these every year.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: HyperDrive on July 18, 2014, 09:07:17 am
Of course it would have.  Self-reporting minor violations like this garners basically zero chance of any NCAA sanctions.  The whole point of self-reporting them is that you know in doing so there's more or less amnesty for minor and inadvertent rules violations.  Teams report the stupidest stuff like butt dialing a prospect.  Oklahoma reported some sort of deal where a couple of players may have had a $3.83 pasta meal paid for.

Only way you get in real trouble for any of this is if you try to hide it and it's discovered later or if you had just a ton of them.  As my previous post showed, 21 is really not that many for a major college athletic program these days.

I know since there is no real substantial penalties involved. But from old barns view point any and ALL violations are ALWAYS considered "secondary" in nature.

I believe the NCAA should crack down on all types of violations. That is the only way these types will stop.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Kevin

Self reporting minor ones, allow you to get away with major ones.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

HyperDrive

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on July 20, 2014, 09:10:26 am
I know since there is no real substantial penalties involved. But from old barns view point any and ALL violations are ALWAYS considered "secondary" in nature.

I believe the NCAA should crack down on all types of violations. That is the only way these types will stop.

They reserve the right to pursue a violation further if they think it's excessive or indicative of a bigger and deeper problem. But they'd spend all their time going after this penny-ante stuff and every program in college would have to be cracked down on because literally every program has these sorts of violations every year.

HyperDrive

Quote from: Kevin on July 20, 2014, 12:08:38 pm
Self reporting minor ones, allow you to get away with major ones.

Which major ones have you guys been covering up then?

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: HyperDrive on July 20, 2014, 05:02:49 pm
They reserve the right to pursue a violation further if they think it's excessive or indicative of a bigger and deeper problem. But they'd spend all their time going after this penny-ante stuff and every program in college would have to be cracked down on because literally every program has these sorts of violations every year.

On that we can agree. That doesn't mean they shouldn't crack down.

scruf

NoNC4Tubs

Quote from: HyperDrive on July 18, 2014, 09:04:57 am
For some perspective, Alabama had...

31 secondary violations in 2013

27 secondary violations in 2012

Oklahoma reported almost 50 secondary violations in the 2013 reporting period.

Ohio State had 24 of them.
Always comparing your self to Alabama........

What were AU's numbers compared to Alabama's? (Since you are in Google mode anyways.........)  8)

NoNC4Tubs

Quote from: JackJohnson on July 19, 2014, 03:05:54 pm

Yep! His age is coming through once again......... 8)

NTYF: Deny, Deflect or Dismiss.

NoNC4Tubs

Quote from: HyperDrive on July 19, 2014, 03:30:54 pm
Self-reporting such violations is owning up and taking responsibility.  The NCAA rulebook is so insanely dense and intricate that it's virtually impossible for a program to go through a year and not have committed some sort of secondary, minor violation.  The NCAA expects you to report even accidental, inadvertent and unforeseen violations committed.

My point in showing this is that Auburn isn't any different than any other team in major college football, including Arkansas.  They all end up self-reporting a dozen or two of these every year.

So if a school doesn't have any, is it suspiscious?   8)

NoNC4Tubs

Quote from: HyperDrive on July 20, 2014, 05:03:39 pm
Which major ones have you guys been covering up then?

Says the pot..........funny!  8)

HyperDrive

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on July 21, 2014, 06:16:55 am
On that we can agree. That doesn't mean they shouldn't crack down.

They simply don't have the resources to do so.  And it would end up undermining the "honor system" thing of reporting even accidental violations.  If you know you're going to get penalized even if it was a mistake, then schools will just stop reporting voluntarily.

Calling All Hogs

Auburn has been a model for NCAA compliance for a long time. For years Trooper Taylor gave out free iPhones to all Auburn recruits just to make sure they had a way to report any secondary violations.

OTTER

Quote from: HyperDrive on July 21, 2014, 11:41:03 am
You guys really need some new material.
I figure, knowing how Aubbie works, they will provide us un-ending material.  It's the Aubbie way!
BE AFRAID!!  Be very, very afraid!  The Hogs are hungry and you look a lot like lunch!

NoNC4Tubs

Quote from: HyperDrive on July 21, 2014, 10:28:27 am
And Oklahoma, Ohio State, et al.  But reading comprehension isn't exactly a strong suit amongst bammers so we understand.

No, you lead off with Alabama and threw in a couple of others. There is no misconception about your post.

As JackJohnson pointed out about your post: "Wah! But mommy...............Johnny does it!"

NoNC4Tubs

That's funny! Your suggesting that we make up some new material is hilarious! The NTYF is really good at diluting and distorting facts.

Here is a fact: auburn is generally viewed as the sleaziest program in the conference. (Thus the need for the NTYF.........)  8)

HyperDrive

Quote from: NoNC4Tubs on July 21, 2014, 12:31:57 pm
That's funny! Your suggesting that we make up some new material is hilarious! The NTYF is really good at diluting and distorting facts.

Here is a fact: auburn is generally viewed as the sleaziest program in the conference. (Thus the need for the NTYF.........)  8)

Tell you what, point out one fact that NYTF diluted or distorted.  I'll hang up and listen.

Auburn is viewed a certain way by a few butthurt rivals that either can't bear to share the spotlight or fancy themselves on the same level but have nothing to show for it.

Calling All Hogs

Yes because being an Auburn fan who comes over to Hogville to troll is certainly not a worn out routine.

HyperDrive

Quote from: Calling All Hogs on July 21, 2014, 03:18:21 pm
Yes because being an Auburn fan who comes over to Hogville to troll is certainly not a worn out routine.

I come to Hogville to discuss football.  And since you guys looooooooove to discuss Auburn so much that just makes it that much more interesting.

You troll yourselves.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: HyperDrive on July 21, 2014, 10:23:50 am
They simply don't have the resources to do so.  And it would end up undermining the "honor system" thing of reporting even accidental violations.  If you know you're going to get penalized even if it was a mistake, then schools will just stop reporting voluntarily.

They have the resources. They just don't want to use them for that purpose.

HyperDrive

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on July 21, 2014, 05:36:47 pm
They have the resources. They just don't want to use them for that purpose.

They barely have the manpower to pursue the egregious cases.  But even if they could, the problem is that the NCAA rulebook is too confusing, too large, too convoluted.  Instead of making schools jump through more and more hoops and smacking them every time they break a rule even accidentally, we need to streamline the rulebook.

Sending the NCAA off to investigate every hangnail-level violation of the rules is akin to beefing up the police force in your city to eradicate and punish jaywalking.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: HyperDrive on July 21, 2014, 06:04:18 pm
They barely have the manpower to pursue the egregious cases.  But even if they could, the problem is that the NCAA rulebook is too confusing, too large, too convoluted.  Instead of making schools jump through more and more hoops and smacking them every time they break a rule even accidentally, we need to streamline the rulebook.

Sending the NCAA off to investigate every hangnail-level violation of the rules is akin to beefing up the police force in your city to eradicate and punish jaywalking.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised an old barn fan doesn't think stricter rule enforcement can and should be done! You making excuses for not being stricter is laughable.
They can use resources that is currently being used for other stuff for enforcement. I do agree the rulebook needs streamlining. It wouldn't take much to do somethings different at the NCAA to manage enforcement better. Accidents DO happen. But there is a difference between accidentally "bumping into a recruit when not allowed to see them" at the Burger King in an airport and other types of secondary violations. 

HyperDrive

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on July 21, 2014, 07:14:45 pm
I guess I shouldn't be surprised an old barn fan doesn't think stricter rule enforcement can and should be done!

Most of the rules are stupid.  They need to streamline the rule book, make the guidelines clearer and less tangled and contradictory and enforce those.  I'm not calling for no enforcement, I'm calling for better enforcement of the things that actually matter instead of penny-ante bull****.

QuoteBut there is a difference between accidentally "bumping into a recruit when not allowed to see them" at the Burger King in an airport and other types of secondary violations.

But that's the nature of most of these secondary violations in the first place...stupid nothing crap you have to report to make the NCAA happy.   A reporter stumbled upon a pre-done webpage for a recruit that wasn't live on the site but ended up being published a as a result (technically breaking the 'can't discuss unsigned recruits rule), two calls were made to a recruit during a week where only one call was permitted, a coach received a group text message that included an unknown number, which sent a follow-up message, and the coach, believing the sender was the high school coach of a recruit, responded asking it that was the case. The unknown sender was the prospect's father.  This happened during a no-contact period.

Even if you're trying your best to follow the rules, the rules are too many, ridiculously confusing, and it's not always clear if an activity is a violation or not.  So you report it anyway.  And across 7 men's and 9 women's sports you commit 21 (in Auburn's case) secondary violations in an entire calendar year.  It just shouldn't be like that.  And so yeah, I don't think you should more strictly come down on rules that are that stupid and convoluted to begin with.  Crazy me...I think the rules should be clear, concise and easy to understand and follow without fear that the least mistake or oversight is going to result in penalties.

Big Papa Satan

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: HyperDrive on July 21, 2014, 10:18:25 pm
Most of the rules are stupid.  They need to streamline the rule book, make the guidelines clearer and less tangled and contradictory and enforce those.  I'm not calling for no enforcement, I'm calling for better enforcement of the things that actually matter instead of penny-ante bull****.

But that's the nature of most of these secondary violations in the first place...stupid nothing crap you have to report to make the NCAA happy.   A reporter stumbled upon a pre-done webpage for a recruit that wasn't live on the site but ended up being published a as a result (technically breaking the 'can't discuss unsigned recruits rule), two calls were made to a recruit during a week where only one call was permitted, a coach received a group text message that included an unknown number, which sent a follow-up message, and the coach, believing the sender was the high school coach of a recruit, responded asking it that was the case. The unknown sender was the prospect's father.  This happened during a no-contact period.

Even if you're trying your best to follow the rules, the rules are too many, ridiculously confusing, and it's not always clear if an activity is a violation or not.  So you report it anyway.  And across 7 men's and 9 women's sports you commit 21 (in Auburn's case) secondary violations in an entire calendar year.  It just shouldn't be like that.  And so yeah, I don't think you should more strictly come down on rules that are that stupid and convoluted to begin with.  Crazy me...I think the rules should be clear, concise and easy to understand and follow without fear that the least mistake or oversight is going to result in penalties.

Once again an old barn fan not wanting stricter rules enforcement. NO SURPRISE.

Inhogswetrust

Please have your bagmen send us $$$$$$ for the material...........................................

HyperDrive

Quote from: Big Papa Satan on July 22, 2014, 01:04:30 am
A $200,000 one in 2010....

Tell your tall tales to the NCAA.  They dug a lot harder than you and found no evidence for any such thing.

HyperDrive

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on July 22, 2014, 06:03:37 am
Once again an old barn fan not wanting stricter rules enforcement. NO SURPRISE.

Once again, a Hog fan that doesn't read well.

I'm all for stricter rule enforcement...on rules that actually matter and are clear.  We don't have that now.

HyperDrive

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on July 22, 2014, 06:06:55 am
Please have your bagmen send us $$$$$$ for the material...........................................

Ask Danny Sheridan for his number.  The NCAA checked it out and felt he was full of fertilizer but I'm sure you'll buy anything he's selling.

NoNC4Tubs

Quote from: HyperDrive on July 21, 2014, 03:30:18 pm
I come to Hogville to discuss football.  And since you guys looooooooove to discuss Auburn so much that just makes it that much more interesting.

You troll yourselves.

Discussing football?!?

I've seen your posts. 99% of them consist of defending auburn (see NTYF Mission Statement)........... 8)

NoNC4Tubs

Quote from: HyperDrive on July 21, 2014, 02:25:07 pm
I led off with a rival and fellow conference member.  Then Googled a few others.

My point still stands even if you're too ignorant to get it.

There you go again..........

Incorporating insults to make your posts seem intelligent.

Why don't YOU come up with some new material?  8)

NoNC4Tubs

Quote from: HyperDrive on July 22, 2014, 06:56:51 am
Tell your tall tales to the NCAA.  They dug a lot harder than you and found no evidence for any such thing.

The Don (Patrick Fan Dye) has that operation humming like a well-oiled machine. He has perfected cheating.  8)

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: HyperDrive on July 22, 2014, 06:57:40 am
Once again, a Hog fan that doesn't read well.

I'm all for stricter rule enforcement...on rules that actually matter and are clear.  We don't have that now.

I read just fine. All the rules were made for a REASON therefore they matter. You are NOT for stricter enforcement of those rules you think should not be in place because you don't think they should be a rule for them........................hence you are not for stricter enforcement.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: HyperDrive on July 22, 2014, 06:56:51 am

With stricter enforcement capability maybe they would have found that evidence. They should have subpoena and perjury power. 

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: HyperDrive on July 22, 2014, 06:58:27 am
Ask Danny Sheridan for his number.  The NCAA checked it out and felt he was full of fertilizer but I'm sure you'll buy anything he's selling.

I don't give a damn about Danny Sheridan. I'm more concerned about trolls like you that invade other teams message boards .

HyperDrive

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on July 22, 2014, 09:31:23 am
With stricter enforcement capability maybe they would have found that evidence. They should have subpoena and perjury power.

They should have subpoena and perjury power.  I don't mind them having more ability to investigate and prosecute serious infractions.  I'm just not interested in turning them into an outfit that spends most of their time sifting for more nickel-and-dime level offenses.

And sorry, they were given every single thing they asked for in the Cam investigation.  They were here for 13 months and were not once stonewalled in getting anyone to interview, any phone, email, fax, bank or tax record they requested.  You're living in a fantasy world if you persist in believing the only reason they didn't turn up Danny Sheridan's ephemeral "bagman" or the money is that Auburn or the people involved or implicated didn't cooperate.  It simply does not jive with facts and reality.

HyperDrive

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on July 22, 2014, 09:32:58 am
I don't give a damn about Danny Sheridan. I'm more concerned about trolls like you that invade other teams message boards .

I don't troll.  I simply speak on facts and the truth and you guys interpret it as trolling because it doesn't fit the fairy tales you cut your teeth on.

The Boar War

Quote from: HyperDrive on July 19, 2014, 03:30:54 pm
Self-reporting such violations is owning up and taking responsibility. asking for forgiveness rather than permission.

Fixed

HyperDrive

It's a system the NCAA set up to encourage teams to be forthcoming rather than attempt to hide the small things.  Take it up with them.  It's like how you tell your kids to come to you when they do something rather than lie and try to hide it.  If they do that, the punishment will be light or you may even let it pass, unless it becomes a bigger issue that's out of whack with what's reasonable to expect.  If they lie or try to cover it up, the punishment will be severe.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: HyperDrive on July 22, 2014, 09:58:07 am
I don't troll.  I simply speak on facts and the truth and you guys interpret it as trolling because it doesn't fit the fairy tales you cut your teeth on.

Yep an old barner speaking about fairy tails. Well you are experts on that. Here's the best fairy tale yet...........old barn isn't cheaters. The problem with old barners truth is it..............................isn't.

NoNC4Tubs

Quote from: HyperDrive on July 22, 2014, 08:50:24 am
What he's perfected is being in your heads.  My kids attribute less power to the monsters under their beds than bammers do to Pat Dye.

Don't you have some trees to poison, dudes to teabag, construction projects to sabotage or random strangers to sucker punch?

Childish comments like that do not add credibility to anything you say....... 8)

By the way, glass houses.

NoNC4Tubs

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on July 22, 2014, 09:31:23 am

EXACTLY!!