Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Bobby Portis Draft Stock

Started by trashcan maN, July 17, 2014, 11:05:58 am

Previous topic - Next topic

trashcan maN

July 17, 2014, 11:05:58 am Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 12:23:27 pm by trashcan maN
Chad Ford has Bobby sitting just outside the lottery right now at #15 on his big board. He says that he needs to show that he can work around the rim and not settle for a bunch of jumpers. He says he also needs to show that he can crash the boards, which confused me. I thought Bobby was averaging close to 9 boards last season. Maybe I'm wrong?

Says that Bobby shot around 76% around the rim but only 38% on jumpers, and he took far more jumpers than shots around the rim.

I'd post a link, but it's an insider article.

HawgAdvocate

He averaged 6.8 boards/game as a freshman, but just 6.3/game in conference play. He can improve upon those numbers.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

poloprince

July 17, 2014, 11:54:03 am #2 Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 06:10:11 pm by poloprince
BP's numbers were very respectable as a freshman and he wants to get his degree.  I don't think we have to worry about him defecting to the NBA after his sophomore season.  Alot of the times he was the only guy battling for boards without much help from the other forward spot.
$PoLoPrInCe$

Hawg Red

Quote from: poloprince on July 17, 2014, 11:54:03 am
Bp's numbers were very respectable as a freshman and he wants to get his degree. I don't think we have to worry about him defecting to the NBA after his sophomore season.  Alot of the times he was the only guy battling for boards without much help from the other forward spot.

Sure we do. He might not go after this season, but it's definitely a possibility.

poloprince

Quote from: Hawg Red on July 17, 2014, 11:57:06 am
Sure we do. He might not go after this season, but it's definitely a possibility.

Possibilities are endless, but again it is highly unlikely. He is living his dream right now as a  :razorback: .
$PoLoPrInCe$

Beaverfever

I think he needs to improve a lot to be a viable NBA option but he might do just that given he was a skinny freshman last year.  He was punked on the boards regularly. 

870hogfan

Portis is very raw and has ton of potential. We need to prepare just incase he leaves next year. Hope he stays till his junior year or even better team up with Malik which would be awesome that is if Monk comes here...

yraciv

Quote from: poloprince on July 17, 2014, 06:09:44 pm
Possibilities are endless, but again it is highly unlikely. He is living his dream right now as a  :razorback: .

Sure he grew up a Hog fan and that is every young Hog fans dream, but ultimately the dream is to get paid at the highest level playing the sport you love.  Very few prospects stay in school when they are getting told they are a sure 1st round pick. He may love school and stick around for his JR season, but no way he is here for 4 years.

Porked Tongue

I hope and wish that BP stays his four years.  I know he enjoys it here like few have.  The money is so large though that if he ever gets to being a sure fire lottery pick then it has to tempt him.

The window can close just as fast as it opens.

OnTheHillHogFan

Qualls is ranked around 50th by ESPN FYI
Quote from: JaketheSnake on November 07, 2012, 10:28:17 am
Shoot the Obama deer... the ones that come for the free corn.
Quote from: ReddieHawg on November 06, 2013, 09:38:24 am
Do you happen to have any rapping skills? I think we could set you up with DJ Khaled and you could make a song entitled, "All I Do Is Bitch"

The_Iceman

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: Porked Tongue on July 17, 2014, 07:29:41 pm
I hope and wish that BP stays his four years.  I know he enjoys it here like few have.  The money is so large though that if he ever gets to being a sure fire lottery pick then it has to tempt him.

The window can close just as fast as it opens.

Yep, from here on out, every year he plays in college for 'free' is a year off his pro career where he can't earn million$.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

Hawg Red

I would counter with turning down being a lottery pick being highly unlikely. Being a Razorbacks is one of Bobby's dreams. He hasn't been shy in saying that another one is making it to the NBA. Him jumping to the league next year if he's projected to be a lottery pick is a legit threat whether you want to admit it or not. If he has a season where he can showcase his improvements and we get to like the Sweet 16, I'd have to think he's gone. His goal was to get us back on the map and he would have done that.

nextlevel

If a kid is a lottery pick, you do not try to recruit him to stay, you thank him for his time and encourage him to go. Hopefully the school extends a hand in helping him finish his degree, if he wants one, via online classes, classes during the offseason, and/or offering to "save a spot" after his career is over.

Now if a kid is borderline 1st/2nd rounder, you explain the risk he is taking by leaving versus coming back to improve his draft stock.
Quote from: GUVHOG on March 07, 2011, 11:26:42 am
I'll make a prediction: If BCG were to get the Tennessee job, Calipari will be fired from UK within 2 years because from the 2013-2014 season on, Tennessee will own the SEC East until BCG moves on or retires.

ell oh ell

onebadrubi

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on July 18, 2014, 08:59:35 am
Yep, from here on out, every year he plays in college for 'free' is a year off his pro career where he can't earn million$.

I don't know how much the contract slots are for, but do you really think his contract will be in the millions per year? 

trashcan maN

Quote from: onebadrubi on July 18, 2014, 01:46:31 pm
I don't know how much the contract slots are for, but do you really think his contract will be in the millions per year?
If he goes in the range he's projected, he'll be making ~1.5M/yr

nextlevel

Its a flawed logic, the logic behind it is you are a year away from your 2nd contract, the money contract if you will, each additional year you stay in college instead of going to the pros, this is true of all of the big3 sports.

The reason why it is flawed if you are not a draft pick high enough where a team is investing an amount of money that commits them to your development and you to their team (Lottery pick, 1/2nd round in the NFL), you are unlikely to see that second contract if you are not ready to play or if your development to that level is slow.

So an additional year or two in college can actually increase your chances of landing a 2nd contract and thus more money for a guy projected to go in the late first early 2nd round.
Quote from: GUVHOG on March 07, 2011, 11:26:42 am
I'll make a prediction: If BCG were to get the Tennessee job, Calipari will be fired from UK within 2 years because from the 2013-2014 season on, Tennessee will own the SEC East until BCG moves on or retires.

ell oh ell

pigsareflying

http://www.basketballinsiders.com/nba-salaries/nba-rookie-salary-scale-by-draft-year/

HawgAdvocate

chenalhog

His dream should be drafted in Lottery and make millions

Porked Tongue

Quote from: chenalhog on July 18, 2014, 07:09:05 pm
His dream should be drafted in Lottery and make millions
You're allowed more than one dream.

Beaverfever

Quote from: chenalhog on July 18, 2014, 07:09:05 pm
His dream should be
lol says who?  If I got offered 2 million guaranteed+ I'd take it. 

PonderinHog

Quote from: Beaverfever on July 19, 2014, 12:47:56 am
lol says who?  If I got offered 2 million guaranteed+ I'd take it.
That's what I call reality.

intelligence

So many experts on the lives of other people

chiefhawg