Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Can someone discuss the kicking/punting game for this year?

Started by boxboy, July 17, 2014, 10:57:39 am

Previous topic - Next topic

boxboy

We talk a lot about the QB, running game, defense, etc but if we have discussed the kicking game I have missed it.  I know we have won and lost a lot of games because of kicking.  Thanks

Uncommon

Quote from: boxboy on July 17, 2014, 10:57:39 am
We talk a lot about the QB, running game, defense, etc but if we have discussed the kicking game I have missed it.  I know we have won and lost a lot of games because of kicking.  Thanks
Pretty simple this year.  At kicker, it will be either Senior John Henson or Freshman Cole Hedlund with the job likely to be won by Cole Hedlund.  At punter, Sam Irwin-Hill returns.  At snapper, Allan D'Appollonio returns.

bennyl08

Hedlund was the leading field goal kicker coming out of HS. Very similar resume to Hocker coming in.

Henson is a senior kicker who is consistent and accurate, but without a very strong leg. I trust him from 35 yards in, though.

Irwin-Hill is on the ray guy award watch list. Contrary to some people's opinions, his punting was very good last year averaging 44.3 yards per punt. He is also pretty good at fake punts, and can kick rugby or traditional with his left or right foot making him essentially impossible to block.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

Hawk

I would think if we kick a great deal, we will be winning games! On the other hand, if we punt a lot, maybe not. Hopefully we will be kicking it most of the time.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: boxboy on July 17, 2014, 10:57:39 am

Great discussion point. My Dad always said it was very important and just like free throws in basketball. It can and does make a huge difference in most games.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

boxboy

I agree with your Dad.  I would guess that if we win 6 plus games that some of those will be a close score, so kicking could even be more important this year.

secneahog

Past two years our kicking has been solid. Not sure what games we have lost due to kicking issues. You did say a butt ton of games has been lost.
Remix MMA.  Alan "the talent" Belcher - Born_Imboden Arkansas- Next 185 UFC Champ!

razorbackkid

Our special teams play will be a huge factor this year. 
I would rather live as if there is a God and find out there isn't, than to live as if there isn't and find out there is.

boxboy

I am always amazed that no matter what is posted, somebody has to be negative.  I did not say in the last 2 years.  I am sure that some real history buffs on here can remember several games that we both won and lost through the years due to kicking.

Rzbakfromwaybak

If we do more "kicking".....than punting.....things are probably getting better....
Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.

Fayettechill14

Coverage units are the only special teams issue I worry about. Maybe kickoffs as well.

Hawgzinbowlz

Sam Irwin-Hill is solid and makes punting more interesting than usual with his threat of running.
Cole Hedlund may end up being one of our most productive recruits.
Good recruiting by the coaches, on both Sam Irwin-Hill and Cole Hedlund.
Kickoff/punt coverages and the return games are to be determined. CBB says the special teams will be emphasized.

" GO HOGS "

ballinhog

Quote from: Fayettechill14 on July 18, 2014, 10:48:12 pm
Coverage units are the only special teams issue I worry about. Maybe kickoffs as well.

I'm pretty much the same way. The one position I'm always interested in as much as QB, RB, CB or any other so called high profile position is gunners on the punt coverage unit. I'll sit around all summer wondering who will win those jobs and hoping the coaches think it's as important of a position as I do. I literally think games can very often be won and lost simply based on the play of your 2 gunners.

My personal favorites to win the jobs this year is

DJ Dean, Carroll Washington, Deandre Coley, Damon Mitchell, and Joshua Liddell

Maybe Drew Morgan

HogFanatic

Before the season started last year, Coach B had said that Irwin Hill was a terrific punter and that he always has a green-light to run the ball out of the rugby style punt. However, he NEVER did. I wonder why that is. Instead we saw several instances where he tried to throw for a fake and it worked what? Once?

I hope he really is as good as advertised (and it's noted that he is on the preseason watch list for the Nation's best punter...his average was very good, and we pinned opponents inside the 10 several times) and he actually does a little running out of the punt formation this year. That would be pretty fun to watch.

Anyways, I am looking forward to watching Hedlund kick the ball. I really think we got a damn good kicker when we signed him. Kickers aren't generally given high recruiting rankings, but I remember several folks saying that he would translate into a 5* recruit easily if you considered the impact they expect him to have on the game.

onebadrubi

Quote from: boxboy on July 17, 2014, 01:36:31 pm
I am always amazed that no matter what is posted, somebody has to be negative.  I did not say in the last 2 years.  I am sure that some real history buffs on here can remember several games that we both won and lost through the years due to kicking.

You thinking alllllllll the way back to those tejada days!  Whew those were nasty!!!

Hawgzinbowlz

Quote from: Ashley Schaeffer on July 18, 2014, 11:43:34 pm
Before the season started last year, Coach B had said that Irwin Hill was a terrific punter and that he always has a green-light to run the ball out of the rugby style punt. However, he NEVER did. I wonder why that is. Instead we saw several instances where he tried to throw for a fake and it worked what? Once?

http:// [[[Stop spamming your site, Eric.]]] .com/razorbacks/trick-play-trips-arkansas-again

" GO HOGS "