Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How many recruits should we sign from Tx vs Fl

Started by nwahogfan1, July 17, 2014, 10:43:46 am

Previous topic - Next topic

nwahogfan1

I know CBB, Shannon and others on this staff have lots of contacts in Fl.  Got it.   But with us being right next door to the greatest group of high school football players it seems like if we poured all our attention into Tx recruiting we would be getting better returns.

I would like to get at least 10 Tx signees a year.  My goodness we used to say Dallas metro was Barnhill south.   We have lots of transplanted Arkansans living there.

I love the Coach Jennings hire.   I hope 4 or 5 Arkansas coaches can get their Tx recruiting legs under them this year. 

It may be exactly what they are doing with them playing TT in Texas to their schedule this year and also playing Tex AM in Arlington.
Go hogs.

hawgsmellgud

If it were as easy as saying you can sign ten 3 or 4 stars from Texas or FL every year I say fl every single time. South Florida has the greatest talent pool in the US. In Texas the high schools are mini colleges, with great weight programs, and excellent coaches. those kids have almost reached their max potential. Fl kids are going on raw talent with lesser coaching and poorer schools, and they have a lot to benefit from a college weight training program and coaching.
"I've never been a numbers guy," Mallett said. "If you play the game for yourself, don't play. I don't want you on the team. There's one goal we've got here. If you're not trying to reach that goal, don't come to Arkansas."

Wildhog

Quote from: hawgsmellgud on July 17, 2014, 10:49:05 am
If it were as easy as saying you can sign ten 3 or 4 stars from Texas or FL every year I say fl every single time. South Florida has the greatest talent pool in the US. In Texas the high schools are mini colleges, with great weight programs, and excellent coaches. those kids have almost reached their max potential. Fl kids are going on raw talent with lesser coaching and poorer schools, and they have a lot to benefit from a college weight training program and coaching.

Not to mention, you aren't fighting near as many schools in S Florida for recruits.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

Huds_HawgTide

As long as we get at least 10 total from a combo of Florida and texas...cpl from oklahoma and cpl from missouri one or two from Louisiana or memphis then a cpl jucos...a spot offensign lineman from anywhere pittman wants and that's a great formula
"you can get a good look at a t-bone by sticking your head up a bulls ass, but id rather just take the butchers word for it" tom callahan
tommy boy

"Don't leave and be FROM Arkansas, stay and BE Arkansas" --coach jimmy dykes

"Going to mcd's for a salad is like going to a brothel for a hug"

Huds_HawgTide

"you can get a good look at a t-bone by sticking your head up a bulls ass, but id rather just take the butchers word for it" tom callahan
tommy boy

"Don't leave and be FROM Arkansas, stay and BE Arkansas" --coach jimmy dykes

"Going to mcd's for a salad is like going to a brothel for a hug"

Vantage 8 dude

Don't know what to say as far as exact numbers. Likely some years are going to be more than others. In a nutshell I'll just say the #s should depend on how many the coaches feel me need. If they can't fulfill all their needs from in-state, very likely in most cases/positions, then you go outside, particularly in Texas and Fla.

ARtillahog

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on July 17, 2014, 11:36:32 am
Don't know what to say as far as exact numbers. Likely some years are going to be more than others. In a nutshell I'll just say the #s should depend on how many the coaches feel me need. If they can't fulfill all their needs from in-state, very likely in most cases/positions, then you go outside, particularly in Texas and Fla.

You should go into politics.

Shorttimer

This year, California, Texas and Florida each have more than 40 (but less than 50) four star or better recruits according to 247. 

By way of contrast, Arkansas has 6.  Mississippi has 11, Oklahoma has 3, Missouri has 4.  Louisiana has 15. 

I may be off base, but I like the idea of recruiting S. Florida hard for the same reason that I wish we used more resources in California.  If a S. Fla or Cali kid is interested in the SEC, we're as good an option as any.  Texas kids can stay home and play in the SEC.

You could do pretty well getting 3-5 kids from Fla., 3-5 kids from TX, 2 kids from out West, locking down the 5-10 AR kids each year and filling out the rest from surrounding states and JUCO.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: ARtillahog on July 17, 2014, 01:07:15 pm
You should go into politics.
Who says I'm not? Seriously, while I understand the idea or question of "we need to recruit this # of players from Fla, Texas or wherever every year" I think a more accurate and appropriate way of looking at it is how many top prospects do we need to recruit in a particular year outside the state's borders and in what position(s)?. While it's true that typically on a yearly basis we only have 8-12 legitimate D1 level Arkansas kids to consider, hopefully over time that number will gradually increase. Whether it does or doesn't, however, we, like everyone else, only have (normally) 25 slots we can fill. If those numbers come from Florida, Texas, California, New Jersey or whatever else is really going to come down to the judgement and assessment of what and whose's needed from the staff. Just go where the talent/potential is the best to FILL OUR NEEDS. Whether that's primarily Texas, Florida, Ohio, Alaska or Denmark shouldn't really be the ultimate guiding factor IMO.

Cinco de Hogo

I think there is some proof over the last ten years or so that the Deep South talent pool is greater than the southwest man to man.

ARtillahog

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on July 17, 2014, 01:50:49 pm
Who says I'm not? Seriously, while I understand the idea or question of "we need to recruit this # of players from Fla, Texas or wherever every year" I think a more accurate and appropriate way of looking at it is how many top prospects do we need to recruit in a particular year outside the state's borders and in what position(s)?. While it's true that typically on a yearly basis we only have 8-12 legitimate D1 level Arkansas kids to consider, hopefully over time that number will gradually increase. Whether it does or doesn't, however, we, like everyone else, only have (normally) 25 slots we can fill. If those numbers come from Florida, Texas, California, New Jersey or whatever else is really going to come down to the judgement and assessment of what and whose's needed from the staff. Just go where the talent/potential is the best to FILL OUR NEEDS. Whether that's primarily Texas, Florida, Ohio, Alaska or Denmark shouldn't really be the ultimate guiding factor IMO.

Haha, I'm kidding and I get what you're saying.  Just reminded me of a straddle the fence answer at first.  As a coach, they have to recruit to their needs and where the kids may live.  More often than not, higher-ceiling kids come from S FL.

redeye

Quote from: Shorttimer on July 17, 2014, 01:13:35 pm
This year, California, Texas and Florida each have more than 40 (but less than 50) four star or better recruits according to 247. 

By way of contrast, Arkansas has 6.  Mississippi has 11, Oklahoma has 3, Missouri has 4.  Louisiana has 15. 

I may be off base, but I like the idea of recruiting S. Florida hard for the same reason that I wish we used more resources in California.  If a S. Fla or Cali kid is interested in the SEC, we're as good an option as any.  Texas kids can stay home and play in the SEC.

You could do pretty well getting 3-5 kids from Fla., 3-5 kids from TX, 2 kids from out West, locking down the 5-10 AR kids each year and filling out the rest from surrounding states and JUCO.

I think this is the best approach.  We already seem to be placing a higher emphasis on Texas, although we're only on par for 5 players from there.  I'd like to see close to 10 players from Texas, simply because they're so plentiful and close.

But, whether we're talking about Texas, Florida or Arkansas, I want quality over quantity and think we need to concentrate where ever we can sign quality players.  In this regard, we seem to be doing well in Florida, but I'd like to see more from Texas and other surrounding states.  If we're getting quality players, though, I don't really care where they come from.

Deep Shoat

Get as many as we can from both places.

This "Texas kids aren't any good any more" line of argument is ridiculous. 

Grab some from California if you can, too. 
All Gas, No Brakes!

jackflash

I would like to see 5 a year from both Texas and Florida. 3 a year from La. Would 12 to fill from AR and where ever

DLUXHOG

Quote from: Deep Shoat on July 17, 2014, 03:13:26 pm
Get as many as we can from both places.

This "Texas kids aren't any good any more" line of argument is ridiculous. 

Grab some from California if you can, too. 

again... I'll venture to guess, that Texas is ours if we want it......(you could probably fill a NC team with recruits from all of Texas)
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

Seebs

Five and Four.  Others will be 15 with one that never makes it on campus and I predict he is from Brazil.
To add a "sig line" or "signature line": Go to your "profile" then go to "modify profile" then scroll down to where it says "Signature" and type in what you want it to say and then click on "change profile". That's it, you're done. Your sig line will only show up on your first post on each page.

Porkahontas

I don't care if we sign 25 from Alaska as long as they can play SEC caliber football and win in this league, but I get what you're asking.

Gotta have a foothold in Texas but if we are getting some from Florida also, take the best you can get whichever state they are from.

My primary wish list state though is Arkansas, because when in-state kids go
to conference rivals, it says a lot to other top recruits who may be considering Arkansas. Lock down in-state guys who we need and build around them.

redeye

Quote from: DLUXHOG on July 17, 2014, 04:10:48 pm
again... I'll venture to guess, that Texas is ours if we want it......(you could probably fill a NC team with recruits from all of Texas)

I'm sure you could fill a NC team with Texas recruits, but what you do you mean by "Texas is ours if we want it"?

onebadrubi

Quote from: Wildhog on July 17, 2014, 10:56:49 am
Not to mention, you aren't fighting near as many schools in S Florida for recruits.

BS.  You only feel that way cause you are less familiar with the area than tx recruiting

DLUXHOG

"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

TeedupHigh

FLA, Louisiana, Georgia, Texas in that order

luke hawg

Ark 5-7
Mo 1-3
Ok 1-2
Tx 2-4
La 3-5
FL 3-5
Atlanta Metro 1-2
Memphis 0-1
Kansas HS or JC 1-2
Transfer 0-1
Pittman specials from where ever 1-2

This is how it should and will be done

pigture perfect

The most important recruiting state for us should still be Arkansas. Where we get the rest from I don't really care.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

carolinahogger

Quote from: onebadrubi on July 18, 2014, 08:07:31 am
BS.  You only feel that way cause you are less familiar with the area than tx recruiting

Correct.  Every school in the ACC recruits the heck out of south Florida.

WorfHog

jseinfeld50

hawgsmellgud

Quote from: WorfHog on July 19, 2014, 07:55:35 pm
About 5 of the Top 50 in a good year.

This and nothing else. At least 2 or 3.
"I've never been a numbers guy," Mallett said. "If you play the game for yourself, don't play. I don't want you on the team. There's one goal we've got here. If you're not trying to reach that goal, don't come to Arkansas."

Hawghiggs

Quote from: luke hawg on July 19, 2014, 03:40:04 pm
Ark 5-7
Mo 1-3
Ok 1-2
Tx 2-4
La 3-5
FL 3-5
Atlanta Metro 1-2
Memphis 0-1
Kansas HS or JC 1-2
Transfer 0-1
Pittman specials from where ever 1-2

This is how it should and will be done

This is about correct. Although I wouldn't bother with Memphis. I'd just increase from Louisiana.

The Hogfather

carolinahogger

I say we take the following every year (4 star and 5 star only):

Texas 10
Florida 10
California 5
Georgia 5
Arkansas 1

I know that's a few extra but we can grayshirt 6 per season, then give them scholarships when attrition opens something up.

Hoggish1

Quote from: Huds_HawgTide on July 17, 2014, 11:11:14 am
sign lineman from anywhere pittman wants and that's a great formula

There are lots of great formulas but this one is the best of all.

Hoggish1

Quote from: redeye on July 17, 2014, 02:44:35 pm

But, whether we're talking about Texas, Florida or Arkansas, I want quality over quantity and think we need to concentrate where ever we can sign quality players. 

This is the bottom line.  You can sign however many from wherever, but you need to sign quality from where you can get them...

ChicoHog

Quote from: hawgsmellgud on July 17, 2014, 10:49:05 am
Excellent point and I agree completely.  My one caveat is Texas is closer and it may be easier to sell Arkansas to some DFW kids than it is to some Miami kids.  As long as they can play I don't care where they come from. 

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on July 17, 2014, 10:43:46 am
I know CBB, Shannon and others on this staff have lots of contacts in Fl.  Got it.   But with us being right next door to the greatest group of high school football players it seems like if we poured all our attention into Tx recruiting we would be getting better returns.

I would like to get at least 10 Tx signees a year.  My goodness we used to say Dallas metro was Barnhill south.   We have lots of transplanted Arkansans living there.

I love the Coach Jennings hire.   I hope 4 or 5 Arkansas coaches can get their Tx recruiting legs under them this year. 

It may be exactly what they are doing with them playing TT in Texas to their schedule this year and also playing Tex AM in Arlington.
Go hogs.

Reunion Arena was Barnhill south. However there are a lot of Arkansas people in the Dallas metro area or at least have some sort of connection to Arkansas.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on July 17, 2014, 10:43:46 am

Go hogs.

By "better returns" do you mean, better players? There are more HS players by far in Texas than any other state, but the ratio of D-I players to the total number of players isn't at all what it is in Florida, Georgia, Alabama and Louisiana. Now Texas still produces the most D-I signees, but when it comes right down to it you go where you have to go to get the kids that you need to execute your systems. If that's Texas, fine. But if it is Florida, Colorado, Minnesota, Arizona or Hawaii, then fine, that is where you go.

This staff has already said that they are placing greater emphasis on Texas and I think that is good. But I like the fact that we are making progress in Florida and the rest of the deep south.

From 2002-2007 we signed a total of 4 (.7 p/yr) players from Florida and 44 (7.3 p/yr) from Texas. The most highly recruited position out of Texas during that time was at DB.

From 2008-2012 we signed a total of 8 (1.6 p/yr) players from Florida and 25 (5 p/yr) from Texas. The most highly recruited positions out of Texas during this time was DE (6) and DB (5). Out of the Florida recruits, 5 of the 8 were at skill/speed positions.

For 2013-2014 we signed 9 (4.5 p/yr) from Florida and 5 (2.5 p/yr) from Texas. 5 of the 9 from Florida were dedicated to skill/speed positions and in Texas, 3 of 4 have been to skill/speed positions.

We are doing o.k. and this thing is just getting started. I'm pretty sure that we will see more Texas kids in our classes in the future, but I wouldn't de-emphasize recruiting the deep south as well.
Go Hogs Go!