Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Baum Stadium Ranked 6th Out of 211 Parks

Started by dddollars, July 17, 2014, 10:40:15 am

Previous topic - Next topic

dddollars

Not going to complain about 6th, but I was surprised at a few of the teams that came before Arkansas. I can get Liberty's ranking because even though it is a much smaller park it is new and by all accounts an impressive structure. The likes of Mississippi State being ranked 4th did leave me wondering though... Is there park really better than Baum?

Anyway go check out the list for yourself - http://www.stadiumjourney.com/news/07-13-2014/717/ncaa-ballpark-experience-rankings-2014

****Mods***** Sorry I got lost on my way to Extra Innings.

The_Iceman

Wrong Forum?

But seriously, Miami, MSU, Liberty, and GT's fields are not better than ours.

The_Iceman

The_Iceman

dddollars

Like I said in my edited post - I lost my way and mistaking posted in jumpball. If I new how to delete it I would have and just reposted it correctly. Hopefully the Mods will send it in the right direction before too long.

Hatleyville454

Since it says "experience" rather than nicest stadium, I'm guessing that is where some of the questionable selections come from.

Mississippi State does have a pretty cool atmosphere with all of the trailers behind the wall with people grilling and having a good time. Kind of like an all day tailgate while watching the game.

1highhog

Quote from: Hatleyville454 on July 17, 2014, 06:32:51 pm
Since it says "experience" rather than nicest stadium, I'm guessing that is where some of the questionable selections come from.

Mississippi State does have a pretty cool atmosphere with all of the trailers behind the wall with people grilling and having a good time. Kind of like an all day tailgate while watching the game.

But doesn't Arkansas usually have about one of the top attendance figures per year of all College Baseball?  I figured that coupled with how the Hog fans turn out for Football games we'd have a hell'va atmosphere.

ricepig

Quote from: 1highhog on July 17, 2014, 07:54:31 pm
But doesn't Arkansas usually have about one of the top attendance figures per year of all College Baseball?  I figured that coupled with how the Hog fans turn out for Football games we'd have a hell'va atmosphere.

Miss St had over 15,000 for a game against the black bears.

A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S

Our own WizardofhOgz made an excellent point in the comments sections of the Baum Review.

A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S

Quote from: Hatleyville454 on July 17, 2014, 06:32:51 pm

Yep, it's "experience" and also each stadium review was done by a different person.

Yes, I'm complaining about being ranked #6!

WizardofhOgZ

The flaw with that rating system is:

(1) it is done by different individuals, and each have their own subjective rating perspective.  If each venue had been rated by all of their writers, then averaged, it would have eliminated this bias.

(2) if you look closely, most of the difference among the top rated parks can be traced back to a nebulous category they call "extras".  There is no rhyme, nor reason as to how those points are allotted.  It appears that some subjectively look at all things not a part of the prior categories, and then judge them on a 1 to 5 scale; others count up "extra things" they see and award 1 point for each extra. No consistency.

As I noted in the comment for Baum on their site, the RBI girls are a distinctive "extra" not seen elsewhere and IMO worth a point much more than many of the things they single out.  For example, Miami gets a point because there is an on-campus pub to get some food before or after the game.  Meanwhile, there are a few nice places to eat right next to Baum, not to mention the options in the stadium or the fact that you can grill your own in the left field bleacher area.

SPAL

Truth be told.... the atmosphere at Baum isn't spectacular unless it's a big game. I can't put my finger in what it's missing,  but it's lacking something.

pigture perfect

The atmosphere has changed a little recently. I can only speak for myself as to why I'm not as excited as I once was. For me it's the lack of offense. I love good pitching. I'm glad we have it. It works for us. It just isn't conducive to excitement in the stands. I'm thinking the hitter freindly ball will make a difference next year.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S

Quote from: pigture perfect on July 19, 2014, 02:51:07 pm
The atmosphere has changed a little recently. I can only speak for myself as to why I'm not as excited as I once was. For me it's the lack of offense. I love good pitching. I'm glad we have it. It works for us. It just isn't conducive to excitement in the stands. I'm thinking the hitter freindly ball will make a difference next year.
this^^

SPAL

You may be right on the whole, but that's not the issue for me. I would rather watch "boring baseball. " Game Day lacks a certain flair. I'm just not sure what it is that's off.

FaytownHog

Quote from: pigture perfect on July 19, 2014, 02:51:07 pm
That's a big part of it with me too. If it's not a big game, I want to see scoring! SOMETHING happening! My phone goes dead every time I've gone to a game recently since I am playing games or checking twitter in all the down time (which is A LOT).

ricepig

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on July 20, 2014, 12:37:55 pm
You may be right on the whole, but that's not the issue for me. I would rather watch "boring baseball. " Game Day lacks a certain flair. I'm just not sure what it is that's off.

Offense will help, as will good weather and weekend SEC games. The mid-week non-cons usually have a small crowd and older, and I'm mid 50's, haha.

3kgthog

Sleepy announcer + poor hitting team + pitcher's park = lack of atmosphere.

A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S

Going to Baum is still a great experience and I love a good pitchers duel and I'm fine with the strategy of small ball, but for me I think the electricity is off somewhat because the big innings are few and far between. I miss the days where we could be down 8 to 5 in the 7th and know that we are going to make run at it and still have a good chance of winning.

I want to call the Hogs 1,736,876 times per game. I think Razorback fans in general are starving for excitement and success in any major spectator sport right now and if the baseball team can bring some offense to the field next year (and win), Baum will explode with excitement again. It's almost like the calm before the storm.  :)

Hogtown1