Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Standout TTU CB Reinstated - Won't Play Against AR

Started by trashcan maN, July 17, 2014, 07:37:35 am

Previous topic - Next topic

trashcan maN

I love how a guy punches a girl in the face and the folks responsible for reinstating him pretend to take the high road with, "I believe in second chances."

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/11224838/nigel-bethel-ii-texas-tech-reinstated-assault-charges-dropped

harrisburghog

How does this compare to the drunk girl Courntey Fortson incident ?

cmiller01

Quote from: harrisburghog on July 17, 2014, 07:50:45 am

From what I recall , Fortson wasn't involved.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: trashcan maN on July 17, 2014, 07:37:35 am
I love how a guy punches a girl in the face and the folks responsible for reinstating him pretend to take the high road with, "I believe in second chances."

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/11224838/nigel-bethel-ii-texas-tech-reinstated-assault-charges-dropped
Appears that DGB picked the wrong school to transfer. Would have been great for the Red Raiders to have been able to form a major "GFBC" (Girlfriend Beating Club) out in Lubbock. Then again, they might even without the new Sooner "wonder boy".

The_Iceman

The AOP at the FIJI house?

ricepig

It doesn't, Fortson was suspended for his tweet, and wasn't charged with any crime.

http://seattletimes.com/html/sports/2010073615_apbkcarkansasperception.html

earshot

Nick Mason the walk on and now radio host was the one involved. The girl described a basketball player with dreads and everyone thought it was Fortson.

The_Iceman

Does anyone know what happened at the FIJI house? I heard a version from a guy who was there, but was just wanted to see if it matched up with someone else.

Hogarusa

People do deserve 2nd chances.  Punching a girl is unthinkable to me but it shouldn't be the end of his career. 
I'll ride the wave where it takes me

Hawg Red

Quote from: trashcan maN on July 17, 2014, 07:37:35 am

Violence is violence. She punched him first. No excuse for that. No excuse for him hitting her back. I'm not condoning men hitting women, but I also don't condone women hitting men. Both are equally wrong in my book. She did the exact same thing he did (just not as effective) and she got suspended for a month. He got kicked out of school and lost his scholarship. In what world is that fair? And I'm not even saying he shouldn't have been kicked off the team/scholarship, but shouldn't she have been given the same punishment? That's what it boils down to and that's that the grand jury thought. I agree with that. The whole thing was handled unfairly.

Hawg Red

Quote from: lowberh on July 17, 2014, 09:46:58 am
People do deserve 2nd chances.  Punching a girl is unthinkable to me but it shouldn't be the end of his career.

Problem is people are making this a man vs. women thing when it should be a person vs. person thing.

What she did should be just as unthinkable to you.

azhog10

Seems like folks don't knwo the whole story. The girl actually started beating on him to start things off. This girl or woman wasn't just your average girl. She's a very athletic and stout woman. If a girl starts beating on you are you just supposed to lay down and let her have at it? I am not saying he was fully in the right for what he did, but to act like TTU is letting a guy who just randomly beat a girl down back on their team is just ill-informed.

Hawg Red

Quote from: azhog10 on July 17, 2014, 10:15:42 am
Seems like folks don't knwo the whole story. The girl actually started beating on him to start things off. This girl or woman wasn't just your average girl. She's a very athletic and stout woman. If a girl starts beating on you are you just supposed to lay down and let her have at it? I am not saying he was fully in the right for what he did, but to act like TTU is letting a guy who just randomly beat a girl down back on their team is just ill-informed.

Exactly. She wasn't some defenseless girl. She was taller than him and started it. I think giving them both similar suspensions was the way to go from the beginning and that's why we're where we are today.

Hogarusa

Quote from: Hawg Red on July 17, 2014, 09:56:07 am
Problem is people are making this a man vs. women thing when it should be a person vs. person thing.

What she did should be just as unthinkable to you.

True

razorbackkid

Many years ago, back on the farm, I got into a fight with my neighbor.  We were both drunk and the fight wasn't very harmful to either of us.  However, his wife, all 6'2" 260 pounds of her took exception to us fighting and proceeded to beat the heck out of both of us.

She was a monster.
I would rather live as if there is a God and find out there isn't, than to live as if there isn't and find out there is.

lefty08

Ohhhhhhh. I didnt realize she was taller and athletic. By all means, hit her again. You guys are sad, pathetic, and ridiculous
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

hogfan14

Honestly if women are all for equal rights then they shouldnt complain when stuff like this happens. They want to be treated like men so they each deserve a similar punishment.

Hogwild

I've never hit a woman, and never will.  But I think it speaks volumes that the grand jury that saw the video not only cleared him but they took the unusual step of asking that his scholarship  be reinstated.

Hogarusa

Quote from: hogfan14 on July 17, 2014, 01:53:04 pm
Honestly if women are all for equal rights then they shouldnt complain when stuff like this happens. They want to be treated like men so they each deserve a similar punishment.

I dont think this falls under the equal rights

Hawg Red

Quote from: lowberh on July 17, 2014, 01:59:07 pm
I dont think this falls under the equal rights

I don't think he's saying it does. Just saying you can't argue for one and be okay with the other.

Raiderman

The whole thing was pretty convoluted but I think reinstating Bethel was the right call.  Here's the text of grand jury letter to Tech's AD urging Bethel's reinstatement.

We the Grand Jury for the 364'h District Court of Lubbock County, Texas on July 15,2014 find no probable cause after reviewing the evidence presented to true-bill the charge against Nigel Bethel of aggravated assault. We believe he was unduly and prematurely punished. This was an unfortunate incident in a pick-up basketball game. This is a matter that should not result in criminal charges for either party.

We approve of the accountability Texas Tech's Athletic Department placed upon the student-athletes.  Any assault does deserve immediate action, however, please ensure all testimonies, evidence and circumstances are reviewed prior to taking action which may forever alter a person's future. The well-being and character of student-athletes at Texas Tech is obviously of utmost importance.

We desire to see Mr. Bethel's scholarship re-instated. If he is re-instated, it is our belief that his consequences should not be greater than those of Ms. Battle. If he is not re-instated, a public exoneration of his character on the part of Texas Tech University should be forthcoming, since Mr. Bethel's future opportunities for an education as well as an athletic career have been jeopardized.

http://m.lubbockonline.com/sites/default/files/%5BUntitled%5D.pdf

[attachment deleted by admin]

BrassNunchucks

Didn't Charlton Heston curse at you in that movie way back when? I think I remember it somewhere. Had something to do with apes.

Hawg Red

Quote from: BrassNunchucks on July 17, 2014, 02:18:53 pm
Didn't Charlton Heston curse at you in that movie way back when? I think I remember it somewhere. Had something to do with apes.

So you don't think her punishment should have matched his? Especially considering the fact that she threw and landed the first punch?

azhog10

Quote from: lefty08 on July 17, 2014, 01:39:00 pm
Ohhhhhhh. I didnt realize she was taller and athletic. By all means, hit her again. You guys are sad, pathetic, and ridiculous
Its sad and pathetic that you think anyone is allowed to beat on someone without protecting themselves, and the minute they do fight back it's shame on them. A grand jury looked at all the facts and videos and found Bethel at no fault.

BrassNunchucks

Quote from: Hawg Red on July 17, 2014, 02:20:55 pm
So you don't think her punishment should have matched his? Especially considering the fact that she threw and landed the first punch?

I thought he was referring to if she throws a punch, she should expect to get punched in "equal treatment." My mistake--I apologize to you hogfan14, that comment didn't warrant calling you an ape. Yeah, it's fair she should receive the same suspension, I guess.

There's a very good reason why men are told never to hit women, though, even if they hit first. It's because we're much stronger than them. So even if the fight is mutual, or initiated by her, it's on the guy to find a way out if possible (see Ray Rice).

trashcan maN

Quote from: Hawg Red on July 17, 2014, 02:20:55 pm
I agree with ya. Women and men should be treated equally under the law, but there is a level of cowardice attached to a man hitting a woman. It's still worse from a moral standpoint.

Bottom line - no one should be hitting anyone.

lefty08

Quote from: azhog10 on July 17, 2014, 02:38:15 pm
Its sad and pathetic that you think anyone is allowed to beat on someone without protecting themselves, and the minute they do fight back it's shame on them. A grand jury looked at all the facts and videos and found Bethel at no fault.

Crawl back in your cave. There are ways of "protecting" yourself against a female's fist that do not involve breaking bones in her face. Grow up
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.

HogFanatic

I bet Ronda Rowsey would whip the ever-lovin dog snip out of any man posting on this board.

Why do I bring this up? Because if I ever found myself in a situation where a superior athlete like her were beating on me, I would punch back. Otherwise she may rip my damn arm off my torso.

This chivalrous notion that you should never hit a woman is all good on a centimental level, but it just isn't congruent with reality. There are women folk out there who would jack you up given half the chance, guys.

A university athlete is a university athlete. I used to play ball with a chick who played for Missouri State, and she was a damn beast. She would be found in the weight room doing bench reps up until we were ready to play our pickup game.

I promise you, you wouldn't wanna get hit by her either.

The Kig

From what I read, they both did get a similar punishment... in the end.  Both are suspended for about the same percentage of their seasons. 

His path took longer to get there because most people take a fairly aggressive stance against hitting a woman under any circumstances, but the Grand Jury ruling reflects some level of accountability for both of them be implemented... which it has.
Poker Porker

The Kig

Quote from: azhog10 on July 17, 2014, 02:38:15 pm

Well, technically they found no probable cause for aggravated assault.  Their position was that neither party committed a criminal act and any punishment should be equally distributed between both. 

Poker Porker

GolfnHog

Based on the totality of the evidence presented to the GJ and the fact that the GJ actually went beyond the requirements of their statutory duties to write the letter speaks very clearly.

I was raised at an early age you don't hit a woman. That being said, there is a very fine line between a male and a female when violence is initiated by a female.

Lefty08, I hear what you are saying but understand in the real world a woman can, and will inflict injury as willingly and quickly as a man. Don't let the fact that the "FE" in from of the male won't prevent you from being injured or killed.

One thing that we were trained on extensively in patrol school, in Texas, back in the day was: "when a woman decides to resist or invoke a threat to you, treat that threat as you would a man and take all effective and necessary means to defend yourself within the boundaries of the law and use the necessary force to neutralize the threat.

Unfortunately, the world we live in today is not the world we grew up in, so it what it is, and the female is as much a physical threat as a man is.
Have you ever listened to someone  or read what they put into thoughts and wondered...."who ties your shoelaces for you?"

lefty08

Quote from: GolfnHog on July 17, 2014, 04:10:45 pm
Based on the totality of the evidence presented to the GJ and the fact that the GJ actually went beyond the requirements of their statutory duties to write the letter speaks very clearly.

I was raised at an early age you don't hit a woman. That being said, there is a very fine line between a male and a female when violence is initiated by a female.

Lefty08, I hear what you are saying but understand in the real world a woman can, and will inflict injury as willingly and quickly as a man. Don't let the fact that the "FE" in from of the male won't prevent you from being injured or killed.

One thing that we were trained on extensively in patrol school, in Texas, back in the day was: "when a woman decides to resist or invoke a threat to you, treat that threat as you would a man and take all effective and necessary means to defend yourself within the boundaries of the law and use the necessary force to neutralize the threat.

Unfortunately, the world we live in today is not the world we grew up in, so it what it is, and the female is as much a physical threat as a man is.

Completely agree, if a female has a weapon then all bets are off. The fact shes an athlete means nothing when shes going after an athlete as well, not an old guy like me. The fact u bring up.death has no bearing, as under jo circumstance that I see was she attacking him with the intent of killing him. Its a case by case basis, and I believe he could have done something else besides knocking her out, even if she "started" it, which is rather childish. Im not saying she was right, but that he was completely wrong

Rzbakfromwaybak

Quote from: razorbackkid on July 17, 2014, 12:09:24 pm

Many years ago, back on the farm, I got into a fight with my neighbor.  We were both drunk and the fight wasn't very harmful to either of us.  However, his wife, all 6'2" 260 pounds of her took exception to us fighting and proceeded to beat the heck out of both of us.

She was a monster.

Lol.....too funny!  So, from then on.....before drinking with anybody, did you make sure his wife was no tank? 
Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.

ZERO

Quote from: azhog10 on July 17, 2014, 10:15:42 am

I've been in that situation. I didn't fight back, but I don't think I should be blamed if I did. Nothing good would have came if I had hit her, it would have been turned right back around on me.
Quote from: Squealers on December 30, 2014, 05:14:49 pmCharlie Strong and I have something in common... yesterday we both got colonoscopies.

Quote"These fans hate Texas more than they like themselves."

redeye

You may consider yourself a chivalrous man, but when a crazed woman is gouging out your eyeballs, trust me when I say that you'll fight back.

redswarmrising

Quote from: Ashley Schaeffer on July 17, 2014, 03:08:56 pm
I bet Ronda Rowsey would whip the ever-lovin dog snip out of any man posting on this board.

Why do I bring this up? Because if I ever found myself in a situation where a superior athlete like her were beating on me, I would punch back. Otherwise she may rip my damn arm off my torso.

This chivalrous notion that you should never hit a woman is all good on a centimental level, but it just isn't congruent with reality. There are women folk out there who would jack you up given half the chance, guys.

A university athlete is a university athlete. I used to play ball with a chick who played for Missouri State, and she was a damn beast. She would be found in the weight room doing bench reps up until we were ready to play our pickup game.

I promise you, you wouldn't wanna get hit by her either.

i've dated a couple of women that could probably whip any man on this board.that's why i never officially broke up with them,i just disappeared without sayin' a word

i'm still in hiding......