Derby still taking snaps at QB?

Started by rhames, July 16, 2014, 06:17:51 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Boardon Hamsay

Quote from: RallyPuppy on July 16, 2014, 08:31:53 pm
don't blame CBB

blame the Memphis Commercial Appeal

Yep. I agree. That rag is amateurville.
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.

BPsTheMan

Quote from: Darrell Royal's Floating Flaming Fulminating Spectral Head on July 16, 2014, 08:35:28 pm
Yep. I agree. That rag is amateurville.

Geoff Calkins went to Harvard

this whole thing has Illuminati written all over it

>:(

Deep Shoat

Quote from: rhames on July 16, 2014, 06:41:13 pm

What I heard him tell bo was that he will still be taking snaps at QB and playing tight end. Why waste time giving him attention unless you feel the other 2 still aren't ready.

Giving derby snaps is a waste of time if he is your 4th QB.
He is the emergency #3.  Peavy will be redshirted, if at all possible.
All Gas, No Brakes!

TOM "tbw1"

Well see, there's your problem. What you should be thinking is, what would Harry Rex do?

Deep Shoat

Hogville is like Chicken Little and Corky had babies.
All Gas, No Brakes!

Boardon Hamsay

Quote from: TOM "tbw1" WILSON on July 16, 2014, 08:41:43 pm
GRUDEN

In before "Son of All Things Gruden and Derby Named Starter Merged"
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.

BPsTheMan

Quote from: TOM "tbw1" WILSON on July 16, 2014, 08:41:43 pm
GRUDEN

Geoff Calkins was wearing an Auburn colored tie when he manipulated the AJ Derby Illuminati thingie

BPsTheMan

...and I'm pretty sure Scott Falcone, Jim Lindsey and the reporter from Star City had something to do with this as well

rhames

We were all under the impression derby was now at tight end.

If you think it's dumb to talk about and can't add any opinion or insight even if it differs or points out the logic of  giving derby snaps why post?

It kind of makes you just as bad as the chicken Littles or gus worshippers and Bobby fan boys.

This also applies to the 2 posters who seem to be on a date with each other in this thread.

No one is crying chicken little just trying to discuss the reasoning behind it.
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

Boardon Hamsay

Quote from: RallyPuppy on July 16, 2014, 08:45:29 pm
Geoff Calkins was wearing an Auburn colored tie when he manipulated the AJ Derby Illuminati thingie

And he was probably at Powerhouse when it broke >:(

BPsTheMan

Quote from: rhames on July 16, 2014, 08:53:26 pm

If you think it's dumb to talk about and can't add any opinion or insight even if it differs or points out the logic of  giving derby snaps why post?

It kind of makes you just as bad as the chicken Littles or gus worshippers and Bobby fan boys.

This also applies to the 2 posters who seem to be on a date with each other in this thread.

I know right. fcj and those mods should just get a room

I will NEVER read the Memphis Commercial Appeal again

Boardon Hamsay

Quote from: rhames on July 16, 2014, 08:53:26 pm
We were all under the impression derby was now at tight end.

No one is crying chicken little just trying to discuss the reasoning behind it.

Man, FCJ and that BigDeal guy need to find another thread.

Now, reasoning behind it? Hmm. My guess is, other than BA, he's the only QB on the roster that's started a college game. I'm not jumping for joy at that thought but I also understand it's mid July and things may change once fall practice starts. That's just me though so I'm more concerned with the Commercial Appeal at this point!

BPsTheMan

Quote from: Darrell Royal's Floating Flaming Fulminating Spectral Head on July 16, 2014, 09:05:19 pm
Man, FCJ and that BigDeal guy need to find another thread.

Now, reasoning behind it? Hmm. My guess is, other than BA, he's the only QB on the roster that's started a college game. I'm not jumping for joy at that thought but I also understand it's mid July and things may change once fall practice starts. That's just me though so I'm more concerned with the Commercial Appeal at this point!

they should all GET A ROOM  >:(

rhames

Quote from: Darrell Royal's Floating Flaming Fulminating Spectral Head on July 16, 2014, 09:05:19 pm
Reasoning behind it? Hmm. My guess is, other than BA, he's the only QB on the roster that's started a college game. I'm not jumping for joy at that thought but I also understand it's mid July and things may change once fall practice starts. That's just me though.

But derby is horrible. It seems to me that any snap that he takes is a waste

How are the other guys ever going to "learn the play book" if they aren't maximizing their time in practice?

Isn't he more likely to get injured playing tight end? If that happens it definitely a waste of snaps.?

Other than he has "game experience" it makes no sense to have him take snaps. He isn't the future of the program.

If I was Mitchell I'd be pissed

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.

twistitup

Quote from: rhames on July 16, 2014, 09:11:04 pm

Who is this Mitchell you speak of?
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

rhames

BPsTheMan

I heard Lydell Mitchell is pissed and I'm not joking

I don't blame him either

twistitup

PorkRinds

But derby is horrible. It seems to me that any snap that he takes is a waste

How are the other guys ever going to "learn the play book" if they aren't maximizing their time in practice?

Isn't he more likely go be injured playing tight end? If that happens it definitely a waste of snaps.?

Other than he has "game experience" it makes no sense to have him take snaps. He isn't the future of the program.

You do realize you don't really have any idea whys you're talking about right? It's cool if you wanna drone on about it but you really just have no clue what he's saying specifically. How do you know Mitchell isn't still taking a few snaps? You don't. So, again, you have no idea if Mitchell is or should be pissed. It's like you missed the part where he said Derby was taking some snaps and sitting in on some meetings, but would be transitioned over to TE full time. You zeroed in on the few snaps, and took that and ran with it. Now you're inventing scenarios where other players should be pissed because of random assumptions you've made. If Derby ends up the #2 guy then you can freak out. Until then, you're spinning your wheels based on assumptions that may or may not be true, and inventing things to be upset about. I mean, do that if you wish, but it's pretty dumb.

Deep Shoat

Quote from: twistitup on July 16, 2014, 09:12:41 pm
Who is this Mitchell you speak of?
A legend.

On the same par as Vinny...
All Gas, No Brakes!

rhames

Quote from: PorkRinds on July 16, 2014, 09:17:21 pm
You do realize you don't really have any idea whys you're talking about right? It's cool if you wanna drone on about it but you really just have no clue what he's saying specifically. How do you know Mitchell isn't still taking a few snaps? You don't. So, again, you have no idea if Mitchell is or should be pissed. It's like you missed the part where he said Derby was taking some snaps and sitting in on some meetings, but would be transitioned over to TE full time. You zeroed in on the few snaps, and took that and ran with it. Now you're inventing scenarios where other players should be pissed because of random assumptions you've made. If Derby ends up the #2 guy then you can freak out. Until then, you're spinning your wheels based on assumptions that may or may not be true, and inventing things to be upset about. I mean, do that if you wish, but it's pretty dumb.

What he said to Bo today was that derby would still be taking snaps. The only mention of derby playing tight end was during the actual media day press conference

Derby spent most of the spring working at tight end. Why? Because he wanted to get on the field so we were told. Awesome. Hope it works out for him.

My thing is its a waste of time to give derby any snaps unless you plan on him still being in the mix for that 2nd QB spot

I get it. He has game experience but does the player with more game experience always get the nod over someone who is more talented?

The fact is we have 3 scholarship qbs. One of them a freshman I fully expect to redshirt and one who is a rs freshman.

And this is a message board. It's main purpose is for discussion and hypotheses. Bret said that Mitchell wanted to play QB and wasn't real thrilled about the move.

If I was Mitchell I think I'd be a little ticked if I was asked to move and the other QB who was asked to "move" was still working with the qbs.

If Mitchell were also taking snaps I feel like he would have said as much.

Also I never said I was upset.

PonderinHog

Quote from: RallyPuppy on July 16, 2014, 09:09:25 pm
they should all GET A ROOM  >:(
As long as they stay out of the rugby thread, I don't care.  First and final warning.

forrest city joe

Make jokes or blame me all you want. but no more A.J. Derby at QB. NO MORE!

lefty08

Quote from: forrest city joe on July 16, 2014, 09:32:31 pm
Make jokes or blame me all you want. but no more A.J. Derby at QB. NO MORE!

for someone who was so adamant not to talk bad about another teams coach, you sure arent afraid to sh%%talk a 20 year old kid.
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

The Boar War

How are the other guys ever going to "learn the play book" if they aren't maximizing their time in practice

I'm guessing you also complained about our third string quarterback not being ready to play last year.  What happens if Brandon goes down (or is replaced) and Austin absolutely wilts?  I'll be glad if Coach B learned his lesson and has more than 2 qb's ready this season.

rhames

Quote from: The Boar War on July 16, 2014, 09:42:23 pm
I'm guessing you also complained about our third string quarterback not being ready to play last year.  What happens if Brandon goes down (or is replaced) and Austin absolutely wilts?  I'll be glad if Coach B learned his lesson and has more than 2 qb's ready this season.

Actually no I didn't.

I'm not mad now either. Why does everyone think is someone doesn't agree with something they are mad?

twistitup

He'll start against A&M at Jerras World...bank it

Derby Does Dallas

forrest city joe

Quote from: lefty08 on July 16, 2014, 09:35:15 pm
for someone who was so adamant not to talk bad about another teams coach, you sure arent afraid to sh%%talk a 20 year old kid.
I love the kid. he can help us at TE. he is not a QB. so stop trying to make it seem like i don't like Derby. i love all our players. but no to Derby at QB. my mind is not changing on this one. give Austin and Rafe all the Reps behind Allen.

BPsTheMan

Quote from: forrest city joe on July 16, 2014, 09:50:52 pm
I love the kid. he can help us at TE. he is not a QB. so stop trying to make it seem like i don't like Derby. i love all our players. but no to Derby at QB. my mind is not changing on this one. give Austin and Rafe all the Reps behind Allen.

I don't care what anyone says, it was less than an ounce and Derby should not be suspended for the first game

PorkRinds

Quote from: forrest city joe on July 16, 2014, 09:50:52 pm

Good thing your opinion means jack darn. So your mind changing means nothing to anyone but you. I hope derby starts every game at QB.

forrest city joe

I am going to trust coach B on this. he has to be smart enough to not go down this road again. get A. Allen and Rafe ready to play. that's all i ask. Derby can help us at TE.

forrest city joe

Quote from: PorkRinds on July 16, 2014, 09:55:16 pm
Good thing your opinion means jack darn. So your mind changing means nothing to anyone but you. I hope derby starts every game at QB.
you hope he starts every game ? O well, no use responding to you anymore.

BPsTheMan

Quote from: forrest city joe on July 16, 2014, 09:59:27 pm
I am going to trust coach B on this. he has to be smart enough to not go down this road again. get A. Allen and Rafe ready to play. that's all i ask. Derby can help us at TE.

I think we just need to settle down and realize CBB is being blackmailed by the Commercial Appeal, take that scenario, as real as it is, and work the problem. Fight our way out.

BPsTheMan

...and SCREW Gary Pinkel if he don't like it!!

hogville38

Please noooooooo! Not that again.

PorkRinds

Boardon Hamsay

Quote from: RallyPuppy on July 16, 2014, 10:06:30 pm
I think we just need to settle down and realize CBB is being blackmailed by the Commercial Appeal, take that scenario, as real as it is, and work the problem. Fight our way out.

Root cause analysis at it's best. Find where the problem started and make sure it doesn't infect the rugby thread.

BPsTheMan

Quote from: Darrell Royal's Floating Flaming Fulminating Spectral Head on July 16, 2014, 10:23:59 pm
Root cause analysis at it's best. Find where the problem started and make sure it doesn't infect the rugby thread.

work the problem

work the problem

Iwastherein1969

so coach Herbert has spent all Summer working with AJ DERBY putting weight/muscle on him so he can block from the strong side TE position, yet now he's our second string QB ?....look, if AA isn't ready yet, he needs to transfer, and I'm not talking about coming in and throwing the ball like Mallett, but just being able to run the offense and manage the team...dude has had a playbook since he was in the 11th grade, basically...wow...this shouldn't even be a rumor...if Peavey can't at least come in and hand-off at least 70% of the time and throw a pass every now and then, why did we recruit the guy ?   

this idea that Peavey and A. Allen don't have the confidence of the coaching staff is quite strange....you never know for sure how someone is going to react until they are thrown into the heat of the battle....if they (A Allen and Peavey) fail, so what, we just went through a season of 0-8 in the SEC, its not going to be something new...well, we'll see, but if there is a shred of truth to the rumor about Derby, this coaching staff is not going to get it done at Arkansas
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

PorkRinds

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on July 16, 2014, 10:54:34 pm
so coach Herbert has spent all Summer working with AJ DERBY putting weight/muscle on him so he can block from the strong side TE position, yet now he's our second string QB ?....look, if AA isn't ready yet, he needs to transfer, and I'm not talking about coming in and throwing the ball like Mallett, but just being able to run the offense and manage the team...dude has had a playbook since he was in the 11th grade, basically...wow...this shouldn't even be a rumor...if Peavey can't at least come in and hand-off at least 70% of the time and throw a pass every now and then, why did we recruit the guy ?   

this idea that Peavey and A. Allen don't have the confidence of the coaching staff is quite strange....you never know for sure how someone is going to react until they are thrown into the heat of the battle....if they (A Allen and Peavey) fail, so what, we just went through a season of 0-8 in the SEC, its not going to be something new...well, we'll see, but if there is a shred of truth to the rumor about Derby, this team and it's coaching staff is not going to get it done at Arkansas

No one ever said that.

Iwastherein1969

by IMPLICATION it is understood that if AJ Derby is still being considered our backup QB, A. Allen and R Peavey are not what they were thought to be when recruited....one does not have to SAY such....ever heard of the saying, "actions speak louder than words" ?

WILL CLINTON

Quote from: RallyPuppy on July 16, 2014, 09:51:28 pm
I don't care what anyone says, it was less than an ounce and Derby should not be suspended for the first game

Sorry, you can't repeat a karma action without waiting 1 hours.    +1
There is no sacred ground for the conquered.

PorkRinds

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on July 16, 2014, 11:06:53 pm
by IMPLICATION it is understood that if AJ Derby is still being considered our backup QB, A. Allen and R Peavey are not what they were thought to be when recruited....one does not have to SAY such....ever heard of the saying, "actions speak louder than words" ?
There was no implication of that. He still takes a few snaps. There was no implication of him being the back up.

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: PorkRinds on July 16, 2014, 11:15:05 pm
There was no implication of that. He still takes a few snaps. There was no implication of him being the back up.
not exactly what Bo Mattingly was saying this afternoon...and he spoke to CBB...but rave on, brah

PorkRinds

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on July 16, 2014, 11:18:04 pm
not exactly what Bo Mattingly was saying this afternoon...and he spoke to CBB...but rave on, brah

I heard Bo. He wasn't quoting CBB. He was squealing the same crap people here are.

Iwastherein1969

he talked to CBB...not everything a coach says is "on the record"....now, I'm not the biggest Mattingly fan, but I really don't think he'd troll this type of bait about AJ Derby just to get 78 more listeners on a Wednesday afternoon...JMHO

tusksincolorado

Quote from: RallyPuppy on July 16, 2014, 08:17:39 pm
I CAN'T BELIEVE THE MEMPHIS COMMERCIAL APPEAL IS CAUSING THIS!!  >:(

Is the Commercial Appeal still open??
Screw it! I'm an old angry male, live with it!

Uncommon

Quote from: PorkRinds on July 16, 2014, 11:19:26 pm
I heard Bo. He wasn't quoting CBB. He was squealing the same crap people here are.
I don't think you'd call it crap.  I'd call it a minor concern.  What most fans, including I, kind of wanted to hear when Coach Bielema was asked that question is, "Austin Allen and Rafe Peavey are developing nicely and will be the back-ups.  AJ Derby will focus solely on his new position and will be a nice target for us at TE."

Reason is because looking at his offer sheet and rankings, most feel like Austin is ready to be the back up QB this season and because of that, AJ can focus his offseason work solely on the tight end position.  Most think we should move 100% to Austin Allen and Rafe Peavey's development as they are the future and will be counted on for the teams that do have the depth to compete at a high level during the Bielema era.

Like I said in an earlier post, I hope the reps he is getting is for a goal line/short yardage, Blake Bell like package where he could run or pass.

Rzbakfromwaybak

Quote from: opineonswine on July 16, 2014, 07:31:06 pm

I think Derby starts at QB.

Lol.....in other news, Darius Philon has been moved to the #2 QB spot....
Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.

redswarmrising

Collins will also be given punting duties and Irwin-Hill will be moved to RB......