Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Derby still taking snaps at QB?

Started by rhames, July 16, 2014, 06:17:51 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Rzbakfromwaybak

Believe the confusion on Derby may be simple.

Instead of ..."Derby taking snaps"....it might be...."Derby making snaps"....for the punting unit....
Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.

PorkRinds

Quote from: Uncommon on July 16, 2014, 11:33:00 pm
I don't think you'd call it crap.  I'd call it a minor concern.  What most fans, including I, kind of wanted to hear when Coach Bielema was asked that question is, "Austin Allen and Rafe Peavey are developing nicely and will be the back-ups.  AJ Derby will focus solely on his new position and will be a nice target for us at TE."

Reason is because looking at his offer sheet and rankings, most feel like Austin is ready to be the back up QB this season and because of that, AJ can focus his offseason work solely on the tight end position.  Most think we should move 100% to Austin Allen and Rafe Peavey's development as they are the future and will be counted on for the teams that do have the depth to compete at a high level during the Bielema era.

Like I said in an earlier post, I hope the reps he is getting is for a goal line/short yardage, Blake Bell like package where he could run or pass.

I think those two will have to earn it before they are anointed for any position.

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: PorkRinds on July 16, 2014, 11:45:13 pm
I think those two will have to earn it before they are anointed for any position.
Let's all just hope that Brandon Allen kicks butt and takes names this coming season and we won't have to worry about such things.
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

WashUhog6

Just to do a little deductive reasoning: Bielema stated today that he believes Derby will be the surprise player on our team, and maybe in the entire SEC. Brandon Allen is our starting QB. Why would Bielema believe that Derby will be a surprise player in the entire conference if he were still being prepped as a backup QB and not primarily as a TE?

I vehemently oppose ever seeing Derby as a starting QB while Austin Allen and Rafe Peavy are healthy, but there's nothing wrong with giving small amounts of prep time to an emergency QB. You never know when you'll need it.

ChitownHawg

Dang there are some little girls on here posing as men.  ;D
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

rljjr

Now I know why CBB had to be paid as much as he's getting. He has to share it with a lot of the coaches on Hogville. Yep. I am pretty sure that's in his contract somewhere. Do you guys take direct deposit or just get those nice sky boxes? I have got to figure out how to get one of those paychecks.

HoopS

Mentioning Derby and QB together, in any context on hogville, is akin to walking into a theater and yelling fire.  Mass panic.

ricepig

Quote from: rljjr on July 17, 2014, 06:28:30 am
Now I know why CBB had to be paid as much as he's getting. He has to share it with a lot of the coaches on Hogville. Yep. I am pretty sure that's in his contract somewhere. Do you guys take direct deposit or just get those nice sky boxes? I have got to figure out how to get one of those paychecks.

The really good ones get a sky box and a check, unfortunately, nobody on HV qualifies as really good.

twistitup

How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

DeltaBoy

LOL nothing more than media day misinformation.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Deep Shoat

All Gas, No Brakes!

HeismanHawg

He said he is still "repping" Derby at QB. He didn't say he's the backup. Derby is probably a last option and takes some "reps" for an emergency situation. Had he still thought Derby would play QB, Derby would have played in the spring game.

NaturalStateReb

I think it's becoming increasingly clear that Austin Allen isn't going to be the QB fix.  Peavey might be, but he's too new to campus to leap right into the #2 spot.

Whatever this Derby business is, it isn't especially reassuring.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

rhames

Quote from: HeismanHawg on July 17, 2014, 09:29:09 am
He said he is still "repping" Derby at QB. He didn't say he's the backup. Derby is probably a last option and takes some "reps" for an emergency situation. Had he still thought Derby would play QB, Derby would have played in the spring game.

Or he didn't like what he saw from the other qbs during the spring.

No one is being chicken little but it is OK to think Austin doesn't have complete confidence from the coaches if he did giving a red shirt senior transfer reps at QB is a waste of time.
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

Deep Shoat

Quote from: rhames on July 17, 2014, 10:45:08 am

Or he didn't like what he saw from the other qbs during the spring.

No one is being chicken little but it is OK to think Austin doesn't have complete confidence from the coaches if he did giving a red shirt senior transfer reps at QB is a waste of time.
Is it ok?  Sure.  Is it a ridiculous over reaction?  Absolutely. 

This is a simple issue of keeping Derby as an emergency QB.  If both BA and AA go down in a game that is out of reach, one way or the other, then Derby would come in to "hold the fort" and avoid burning Peavy's RS.  If both BA and AA were down for an extended period, Peavy would be the guy.
All Gas, No Brakes!

rhames

Quote from: Deep Shoat on July 17, 2014, 10:54:21 am
Is it ok?  Sure.  Is it a ridiculous over reaction?  Absolutely. 

This is a simple issue of keeping Derby as an emergency QB.  If both BA and AA go down in a game that is out of reach, one way or the other, then Derby would come in to "hold the fort" and avoid burning Peavy's RS.  If both BA and AA were down for an extended period, Peavy would be the guy.

How is talking about it an over reaction?

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.

Deep Shoat

Quote from: rhames on July 17, 2014, 11:02:39 am

How is talking about it an over reaction?
Have you read the damn thread?

Many people are not "talking about it".  They are using it as further ammunition against CBB or against AA.

Stop acting all innocent, you are one of them. 

And there isn't anything to actually talk about, if you fricking read what I posted.
All Gas, No Brakes!

rhames

Quote from: Deep Shoat on July 17, 2014, 11:06:50 am
Have you read the damn thread?

Many people are not "talking about it".  They are using it as further ammunition against CBB or against AA.

Stop acting all innocent, you are one of them. 

And there isn't anything to actually talk about, if you fricking read what I posted.

I haven't said anything bashing anyone. I haven't said anything like coach B doesn't know what he is doing. Or he should be fired.

Sorry I have doubt behind the reasoning of giving derby snaps. I like coach B and support him.

People outside of hogville are talking about it today. No one expects this season to be sunshine and rainbows and there is nothing wrong with discussing the situation. If you think it's stupid then don't post in this thread.

Point is if derby is playing tight end then have him play tight end. Your argument is "we need to have derby ready just incase Austin goes down" 

Well what if derby gets hurt playing at tight end. We can play the what if game all we want.

But giving derby snaps is dumb

OTTER

My guess is that shortly after camp  begins in August, AJ won't be taking any snaps
BE AFRAID!!  Be very, very afraid!  The Hogs are hungry and you look a lot like lunch!

HometownHawg

Derby isn't taking any snaps at QB. Somebody is trying to get you worked up over nothing.

hawgXi

July 17, 2014, 12:42:25 pm #120 Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 06:25:40 am by hawgXi
Quote from: 12247 on July 16, 2014, 06:44:42 pm
If Derby is still being thought of as the#2 QB and I do not know that he is, then we made one heck of a mistake in taking Austin Allen.  I don't think we erred in taking Austin and I am not surprised that Derby is still working at QB.

I would not be surprised if Brandon is culled out from the #1 job that Derby gets that job.  I seriously worry that Brandon will be removed as #1 around the 3rd game of the season and we'll hear how Austin and Rafe just aren't ready and we got to go with Derby.

Just my opinion.

you've just posted my worst nightmare for this coming football season.

after watching the spring game, you may be partially right??

I think if brandon is still gun shy, they'll play austin or peavy.

which one of them threw the great deep pass to the corner of the endzone in the spring game?  anybody remember?

SPAL

Ok....so, somehow, the finer minds of hogville turned..."taking a few snaps and sitting in on some meetings" to "Derby is now 2nd string and may be the starter. "

The Hogville Effect

ricepig

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on July 17, 2014, 12:57:16 pm
Ok....so, somehow, the finer minds of hogville turned..."taking a few snaps and sitting in on some meetings" to "Derby is now 2nd string and may be the starter. "

The Hogville Effect

Wait until they have him All-conference

WashUhog6

Quote from: hawgXi on July 17, 2014, 12:42:25 pm
which one of them through the great deep pass to the corner of the endzone in the spring game?  anybody remember?
It was Austin Allen.

To be honest, Austin Allen made a handful of throws in the spring game that no other QB on the roster has made in a game while at Arkansas--which further supports my position that Derby taking a few reps means absolutely nothing as far as Austin's back-up position is concerned.

Seebs

Media picked us last in 2013. Media picks us last in 2014. One year they are gonna be wrong.
To add a "sig line" or "signature line": Go to your "profile" then go to "modify profile" then scroll down to where it says "Signature" and type in what you want it to say and then click on "change profile". That's it, you're done. Your sig line will only show up on your first post on each page.

Piggfoot

Rafe will be fourth string. Aka redshirt. Bielema is building.
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

BPsTheMan

the Memphis Commercial Appeal is now reporting that Scotty Thurman Jr has been named special teams coordinator

Augustus

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on July 16, 2014, 11:23:17 pm
he talked to CBB...not everything a coach says is "on the record"....now, I'm not the biggest Mattingly fan, but I really don't think he'd troll this type of bait about AJ Derby just to get 78 more listeners on a Wednesday afternoon...JMHO

Dude. Mattingly had Clay Travis on his show, the afternoon Travis released his "4th dumbest fanbase in CFB - Arkansas" article.

And Bo wasn't challenging Clay Travis, either.  Bo invited Travis on to troll Hog Fans, to try to drive #'s for his show.

What is mentioned above, is exactly the type of crap Bo would do.

rhames

Quote from: Augustus on July 17, 2014, 01:59:58 pm
Dude. Mattingly had Clay Travis on his show, the afternoon Travis released his "4th dumbest fanbase in CFB - Arkansas" article.

And Bo wasn't challenging Clay Travis, either.  Bo invited Travis on to troll Hog Fans, to try to drive #'s for his show.

What is mentioned above, is exactly the type of crap Bo would do.

You're right. He and Bret were just trolling us. 

I have never said this means aj is now second string just that it seems counterproductive to give him reps unless you feel like one of the young guys isn't ready.

PorkRinds

Quote from: rhames on July 17, 2014, 02:28:23 pm

I have never said this means aj is now second string just that it seems counterproductive to give him reps unless you feel like one of the young guys isn't ready.

Derby would likely be a last resort if both Allens got hurt, and he didn't want to burn RP's redshirt for part of one game. Are you not ok with that?

rhames

July 17, 2014, 02:46:12 pm #130 Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 04:01:49 pm by rhames
Quote from: PorkRinds on July 17, 2014, 02:41:30 pm
Derby would likely be a last resort if both Allens got hurt, and he didn't want to burn RP's redshirt for part of one game. Are you not ok with that?

Depends on the situation honestly. If we are in hunt for a bowl and Rafe gives them the best shot to win I think you burn his redshirt. Most likely if we lose two quarterbacks out season is probably already in the crapper

There are so many unknowns as to way derby would still be taking snaps.

Is it because he is going to be the unofficial number 3?

Is it because maybe Bret promised him?

Who knows but I think it speaks volumes that the staff isn't completely confident with the QB play they saw in the spring. 

Augustus

Quote from: rhames on July 17, 2014, 02:28:23 pm

When did I ever say anything about Bret trolling us in my post?

I'm sure Bret has a reason for doing the things he is doing.  That's the premise of paying him Millions of dollars to do his job?

I, for one, don't think that highly of myself to question his motives.  If there's something that I don't understand or think is counterproductive?  Well, I'm not an College Football Coach, so...

But, if the simplest explanation is usually the correct one... My guess would be:  Brandon is the starter. If he gets hurt, Austin has progressed enough to be the #2.

In the meantime, Derby is transitioning to TE, but in case Austin also gets hurt or regresses... keeping Derby as a #3 option and having him take limited snaps/meetings, so as not to have to burn Peavey's RS.

Or... there a special packages designed to have Derby in as QB.  (GAWD, I really hope this is not the case)

But, like I said, I don't have the luxury of being a College Football Coach.

Cresthog

AJs dad called and got pissed about him being a TE only.

"Kilmore! My sons a QB!"

sportster365

Some one posted a link on here where some sports director commented on B. Beilema's Wisconsin team. I literally had to twice read the comments because what he described was eerily similar to what we saw at Arkansas last year. It may shed some light on some of the decision making we're seeing so far...

Here's his remarks:

Bruce Ciskie, of Duluth radio, AOL FanHouse and The Ciskie Blog: Basically, my take on Bielema is simple: I'm beginning to believe they hired the wrong guy. It's nothing against Bielema, as I think he's a pretty good defensive coach. But this team is looking more and more like a mess the further away we get from having a team built around Barry Alvarez recruits. Bielema is an okay motivator, but he hasn't proven anything to me as a recruiter, and the fact that a defensive head coach is watching idly as his defense gets consistently shredded is just too much for me to stomach.

The quarterback position has never been adequately addressed. The talent at wide receiver is undeveloped and seems to be inadequate, again.

Defense, Bielema's background, is a joke. They have talented linebackers who consistently misread plays and take poor angles. The secondary is okay, but with no real pass-rush threat on the line outside of [defensive end Matt] Shaughnessy, they're asked to do too much.

I haven't heard any specific rumblings about Bielema's job status, outside of the usual fan griping. I don't put much stock into that, but it doesn't seem like there's been a lot. Not sure if this fan base is just too patient, or if Bielema really bought some time with these people by getting to two straight New Year's Day bowls.

As for his expanding waistline, well duh. He lives in Madison. He doesn't have any other choice.

ricepig

Quote from: rhames on July 17, 2014, 02:46:12 pm

Depends on the situation honestly. If we are in hunt for a bowel and Rafe gives them the best shot to win I think you burn his redshirt. Most likely if we lose two quarterbacks out season is probably already in the crapper

There are so many unknowns as to way derby would still be taking snaps.

Is it because he is going to be the unofficial number 3?

Is it because maybe Bret promised him?

Who knows but I think it speaks volumes that the staff isn't completely confident with the QB play they saw in the spring. 

This post looks like it took a "bowel" movement.

twistitup

Quote from: rhames link=topic=570262.msg9076810#msg9076810 date=

Settle down Leann
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

rhames

Cresthog

This will pay dividends when we're battling for that single SEC win next year.

Throw in a little Derby trickeration and BOOOM, we're killing it.

oldbear

Do any of you remember the name John Rutledge? I believe we had three quarterbacks injured that year and had to pull a player from the intramural fields to start for the Hogs. That was a coach named Nutt who didn't appropriately prepare a team for a difficult and physical season.

I would agree is Derby is even taking 10% of the snaps during practice, it is a waste of time. However, to say that you shouldn't give at least 4 quarterbacks a little time in the early preseason is short sighted in the SEC. Once we get to actual game prep, you would stop all that. In fall camp, it is something you prepare for.

PorkSoda

Quote from: 12247 on July 16, 2014, 06:44:42 pm
If Derby is still being thought of as the#2 QB and I do not know that he is, then we made one heck of a mistake in taking Austin Allen.  I don't think we erred in taking Austin and I am not surprised that Derby is still working at QB.

I would not be surprised if Brandon is culled out from the #1 job that Derby gets that job.  I seriously worry that Brandon will be removed as #1 around the 3rd game of the season and we'll hear how Austin and Rafe just aren't ready and we got to go with Derby.

Just my opinion.
thanks for the kick in the nutts
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

The real issue here is that too many of us remember last season:  Brandon Mitchell transfers after taking up much of the QB snaps.  Didn't our HC even have a feel about that.  We work and train a QB that plans on being #1.  Did Mitchell not ever give a clue that he would not stay put if certain things happen?  In the end, we actually got no #2 QB to start the season and Derby gets the job by default.  BB, it is reported, actually encouraged Brandon Mitchell to leave, even though our team likely could have used the Guy.

Season #2 coming up:  Truth is we haven't seen anything from Brandon Allen that would make us believe he is really better.  We hear Coach talk, we listen to the Sunshiners,  but no individual has seen anything that would lead a person to believe Brandon is the answer.  Yeah, we hear the HC swear by BA, but we remember last season and of course we have doubts.

We haven't heard BB sincerely plant any QB in the 2 or 3 position.  True, we all guess and many offer their explanation as fact but none of us really know whats up for the 2 and 3 spots this coming season.

Now we hear that Derby is somewhat, somehow involved in the QB situation again.  We still have Duwop but its not him, its Derby.  Derby on his best day is not a QB that can win in the SEC.  He may be a great Kid, he might be a great player at some other position, but QB he isn't. 

If Derby has intentions of getting an NFL contract, he needs to learn a position where he might actually get NFL attention.  BB knows this too.  TE might be that position.  Moving QB types to receiver is popular but truthfully, those moves rarely produce an NFL type player.  Brandon Mitchell didn't shake the world at WR.  Blake Bell  at OU hasn't so far been stellar in practice nor has Derby been stellar for us at TE. 

What I am trying to say hasn't been said yet.  Many of us have zero confidence in BB making the correct decision for either the #1 or #2 or #3 QB positions, period.  Re-entering Derby sure as hell doesn't increase that confidence.  And yeah I know BB doesn't answer to any of us, its his call.

ricepig

Big Poppa Z

I remember a year where a walk-on started a bowl game for us (and set an interception record).

I have no issues with emergency prep.

BPsTheMan

Quote from: 12247 on July 17, 2014, 08:29:55 pm
The real issue here is that too many of us remember last season:  Brandon Mitchell transfers after taking up much of the QB snaps.  Didn't our HC even have a feel about that.  We work and train a QB that plans on being #1.  Did Mitchell not ever give a clue that he would not stay put if certain things happen?  In the end, we actually got no #2 QB to start the season and Derby gets the job by default.  BB, it is reported, actually encouraged Brandon Mitchell to leave, even though our team likely could have used the Guy.

Season #2 coming up:  Truth is we haven't seen anything from Brandon Allen that would make us believe he is really better.  We hear Coach talk, we listen to the Sunshiners,  but no individual has seen anything that would lead a person to believe Brandon is the answer.  Yeah, we hear the HC swear by BA, but we remember last season and of course we have doubts.

We haven't heard BB sincerely plant any QB in the 2 or 3 position.  True, we all guess and many offer their explanation as fact but none of us really know whats up for the 2 and 3 spots this coming season.

Now we hear that Derby is somewhat, somehow involved in the QB situation again.  We still have Duwop but its not him, its Derby.  Derby on his best day is not a QB that can win in the SEC.  He may be a great Kid, he might be a great player at some other position, but QB he isn't. 

If Derby has intentions of getting an NFL contract, he needs to learn a position where he might actually get NFL attention.  BB knows this too.  TE might be that position.  Moving QB types to receiver is popular but truthfully, those moves rarely produce an NFL type player.  Brandon Mitchell didn't shake the world at WR.  Blake Bell  at OU hasn't so far been stellar in practice nor has Derby been stellar for us at TE. 

What I am trying to say hasn't been said yet.  Many of us have zero confidence in BB making the correct decision for either the #1 or #2 or #3 QB positions, period.  Re-entering Derby sure as hell doesn't increase that confidence.  And yeah I know BB doesn't answer to any of us, its his call.

^^^

here's a case of the Arkansas media dangling a willing puppet

Biggus Piggus

Bielema is not choosing the starting QB. The players are. Whoever earns it.

This thread is a classic example of our problem. We should float a new crazy idea every day. Identify whoever kneejerk reacts to it. Then buy them beers. We need to bring you in from the cold.
[CENSORED]!

PorkRinds

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on July 17, 2014, 10:50:31 pm
Bielema is not choosing the starting QB. The players are. Whoever earns it.

This thread is a classic example of our problem. We should float a new crazy idea every day. Identify whoever kneejerk reacts to it. Then buy them beers. We need to bring you in from the cold.

Most of them have likely had too many beers already.

PonderinHog

How's this for crazy?  Give Duwop some practice reps at QB.

hawgXi

Quote from: WashUhog6 on July 17, 2014, 01:01:49 pm
It was Austin Allen.

To be honest, Austin Allen made a handful of throws in the spring game that no other QB on the roster has made in a game while at Arkansas--which further supports my position that Derby taking a few reps means absolutely nothing as far as Austin's back-up position is concerned.

yes  austin did look good making plays under control

lefty08

Why do most on hogville assume they know more about the players and their abilities than the people getting paid to know?  I think you guys should stick to running your households. And I dont think any of you would appreciate blind assumptions about that. Just be fans, it will work out
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

thefisher

Quote from: HogWildBison2011 on July 16, 2014, 06:39:34 pm
He (CBB) stated that he (Derby) still sits in some of the meetings and has taken a snap or two but expects him to convert fully over to TE during the season.. That is what I heard anyway.. No need to run around with your hair on fire.

Only on Hogville does this simple statement get turned into a thread about AJ being the number 2 QB.  He is one of the TE's this season and the third or fourth option at QB. He would only be played at QB if the 2-3 guys in front of him get hurt.
I miss the smell of the mud, grass, and sweat of the practice field. I miss blood oozing down your arm from the rip in your skin that was slashed on a guys helmet as you punked him at the line of scrimmage and put his dobber in the dirt.