Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Derby still taking snaps at QB?

Started by rhames, July 16, 2014, 06:17:51 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

rhames

"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

forrest city joe

I like coach B and i am pulling for him big time to win here. but please do not go down this road again. AJ Derby is a TE. and a waste of time at QB. those reps need to be going to A. Allen and Rafe Peavey. this is not good.

lefty08

Quote from: forrest city joe on July 16, 2014, 06:27:57 pm
I like coach B and i am pulling for him big time to win here. but please do not go down this road again. AJ Derby is a TE. and a waste of time at QB. those reps need to be going to A. Allen and Rafe Peavey. this is not good.

Only thing not good is your pessimistic attitude
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

rhames

Just don't know why he would want to take snaps away from Austin and Rafe in August.

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.

tophawg19

just something else for the defense to worry about when he's on the field . this may be for the short yardage package
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

Uncommon

Quote from: forrest city joe on July 16, 2014, 06:27:57 pm
Somewhat agree.  I hope he's taking reps at QB to be used in a goal line package where he could run or pass the ball.  But if he's still taking reps like he's going to be our back up QB, that makes me scratch my head.

I agreed with last year's decision on playing Derby for Southern Miss and Rutgers so Austin Allen could develop more in practice.  Since we did that, why not throw Austin in there full time as back up QB and have AJ work full time at tight end?  Just my thinking.  Trusting Coach to make the right decision.

forrest city joe

Quote from: lefty08 on July 16, 2014, 06:31:04 pm
Only thing not good is your pessimistic attitude
This is not about me. if we go down this road again, we are in trouble. AJ Derby may be able to help at TE. he is a good kid and hard worker. but he is not a QB. and i hope coach B does not go down this road yet again. do not make this thread about me. my opinion will not change on this one.

HogWildBison2011

He stated that he still sits in some of the meetings and has taken a snap or two but expects him to convert fully over to TE during the season.. That is what I heard anyway.. No need to run around with your hair on fire.

rhames

Quote from: HogWildBison2011 on July 16, 2014, 06:39:34 pm
He stated that he still sits in some of the meetings and has taken a snap or two but expects him to convert fully over to TE during the season.. That is what I heard anyway.. No need to run around with your hair on fire.

What I heard him tell bo was that he will still be taking snaps at QB and playing tight end. Why waste time giving him attention unless you feel the other 2 still aren't ready.

Giving derby snaps is a waste of time if he is your 4th QB.

If Derby is still being thought of as the#2 QB and I do not know that he is, then we made one heck of a mistake in taking Austin Allen.  I don't think we erred in taking Austin and I am not surprised that Derby is still working at QB.

I would not be surprised if Brandon is culled out from the #1 job that Derby gets that job.  I seriously worry that Brandon will be removed as #1 around the 3rd game of the season and we'll hear how Austin and Rafe just aren't ready and we got to go with Derby.

Just my opinion.

forrest city joe

If that's what he said , that's fine by me. just responding to what was posted in this thread.

(notOM)Rebel123

Exactly. Thank you.
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: forrest city joe on July 16, 2014, 06:45:28 pm
If that's what he said , that's fine by me. just responding to what was posted in this thread.

So you didn't even hear his comments? Not to be critical, FCJ, but Why not make the effort to actually find out what he said before accepting the OP as fact or at least taken in the proper context?

HogInFlorida

I won't be shocked if he has a wildcat/short yardage package. Kiero Small had a wildcat package and there's not one person in the stadium that thought he was gonna throw. Motion Derby over from TE to the gun behind center, split Allen out wide and the defense won't know what's gonna come at them.
Quote from: Mike Irwin on June 12, 2013, 09:18:52 pm
I'd rather be hit over the head with a brick than have to revisit the memories of those seven awful months with coach "Smile" in charge.

forrest city joe

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on July 16, 2014, 06:48:49 pm
So you didn't even hear his comments? Not to be critical, FCJ, but Why not make the effort to actually find out what he said before accepting the OP as fact or at least taken in the proper context?
I am going to listen to it now. all im saying is NO MORE A.J. DERBY AT QB!

forrest city joe

Quote from: HogInFlorida on July 16, 2014, 06:49:53 pm
I won't be shocked if he has a wildcat/short yardage package. Kiero Small had a wildcat package and there's not one person in the stadium that thought he was gonna throw. Motion Derby over from TE to the gun behind center, split Allen out wide and the defense won't know what's gonna come at them.
Yes the defense would. they would know that we are going to run the football because A.J. is not a good passer.

lefty08

You guys are aware coaches reveal what they want opponents to hear right?  Relax goofballs
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.

rhames

Quote from: lefty08 on July 16, 2014, 07:04:04 pm
You guys are aware coaches reveal what they want opponents to hear right?  Relax goofballs

Lol. You're so right. He was just trolling the sec.

I'm trying to find the quote for y'all.

Was way more than just "oh he is just taking snaps for no real reason and will transition fully to tight end in the fall"

Wouldn't that have happened in the spring? If derby is takings snaps it's because Bret doesn't have full confidence in Austin and Rafe

ricepig

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on July 16, 2014, 06:48:49 pm

Way to easy for him to do that, it's much easier to take something negative, or perceived negative and run with it.

lefty08

Quote from: rhames on July 16, 2014, 07:07:47 pm

Lol. You're so right. He was just trolling the sec.

I'm trying to find the quote for y'all.

Was way more than just "oh he is just taking snaps for no real reason and will transition fully to tight end in the fall"

Wouldn't that have happened in the spring? If derby is takings snaps it's because Bret doesn't have full confidence in Austin and Rafe

Or its not happening at all......

ricepig

They plan to red shirt Rafe, he already mentioned earlier that he thought Derby would be the surprise player on the team, maybe the league, or that was the quote I read/heard on TV. He said he would take a few snaps, but made no mention of being the backup.

rhames

Quote from: lefty08 on July 16, 2014, 07:11:25 pm
Or its not happening at all......

I think you are way over thinking it

How would a team prepare differently either way? At what point did derby show any thing that would cause the opposition to say "oh snap that kid does this well we better prepare for it just incase"

Teams are going to work on stopping the run and making us pass it. If derby is in fact taking any snaps it isn't positive.

lefty08

Quote from: rhames on July 16, 2014, 07:16:37 pm

I think you are way over thinking it

How would a team prepare differently either way? At what point did derby show any thing that would cause the opposition to say "oh snap that kid does this well we better prepare for it just incase"

Teams are going to work on stopping the run and making us pass it. If derby is in fact taking any snaps it isn't positive.

Im not even saying thats the case, mainly saying flipping out over anything that is said at media days is.insane. coaches only say what they want their opponents to know

HogWildBison2011

Quote from: ricepig on July 16, 2014, 07:14:17 pm
They plan to red shirt Rafe, he already mentioned earlier that he thought Derby would be the surprise player on the team, maybe the league, or that was the quote I read/heard on TV. He said he would take a few snaps, but made no mention of being the backup.
When he said that he was talking in context of Derby being a TE.

HogFanatic

Same thing as Bielema saying Flowers will be working on the offensive line and as fullback. It's a special package deal - gotta be - and people are worked up over nothing.

Derby didn't set the world on fire last year, but I guarantee you he can throw it well enough to hit a wide open man in the back of the EZ from the wildcat.

opineonswine

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Uncommon on July 16, 2014, 06:37:51 pm
Somewhat agree.  I hope he's taking reps at QB to be used in a goal line package where he could run or pass the ball.  But if he's still taking reps like he's going to be our back up QB, that makes me scratch my head.

I agreed with last year's decision on playing Derby for Southern Miss and Rutgers so Austin Allen could develop more in practice.  Since we did that, why not throw Austin in there full time as back up QB and have AJ work full time at tight end?  Just my thinking.  Trusting Coach to make the right decision.

You guys worry too much. I would imagine that any snaps that he gets in practice are neglible. He'll be focusing on TE, the position that Bielema persuaded him to switch over to, not QB.

Derby isn't #2 or even #3 on the depth chart right now at QB. If BA, AA and Peavey all go down to injury, is it o.k. with you guys if they insert Derby? ;) Come on guys, knee jerk reaction. He'll never see another meaningful snap at QB in a game for the Hogs.
Go Hogs Go!

ricepig

Quote from: HogWildBison2011 on July 16, 2014, 07:26:02 pm
When he said that he was talking in context of Derby being a TE.

Yep, I know.

twistitup

The NFL is looking for versatility
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

BPsTheMan

Quote from: rhames on July 16, 2014, 06:34:52 pm
Just don't know why he would want to take snaps away from Austin and Rafe in August.

it's July

Sooie71923

He has experience over the younger QBs. Maybe not as talented.

However, if he is taking snaps, the staff believes the others are not ready yet. Which they aren't.

twistitup

Quote from: Sooie71923 on July 16, 2014, 07:41:14 pm

However, if he is taking snaps, the staff believes the others are not ready yet. Which they aren't.

Are they ever ready? Let me guess....were building something here and it takes time.
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

BPsTheMan

breaking news

D'Arthur Cowan was just named offensive coordinator

Biggus Piggus

It is the ultimate ruse. Every time he goes behind center, no one will believe Derby is a QB. They established this deception so well last season.
[CENSORED]!

forrest city joe

Quote from: twistitup on July 16, 2014, 07:43:06 pm
Are they ever ready? Let me guess....were building something here and it takes time.
The only way to get them ready is to play them. just my little ole opinion. No more Derby at QB.Period!

BPsTheMan

the Memphis Commercial Appeal just reported AJ Derby will be our starting quarterback

rhames

No one is flipping out. It's a topic that warrants discussion. 

You have two young guys who need all the snaps they can get. It just doesn't make sense to give any of those to derby if derby is playing tight end.

BPsTheMan

Dan Skipper just got moved to tight end

so it all makes sense now

forrest city joe

Quote from: rhames on July 16, 2014, 07:52:44 pm

You have two young guys who need all the snaps they can get. It just doesn't make sense to give any of those to derby if derby is playing tight end.
Bingo right on the money.+1000

ricepig

Quote from: rhames on July 16, 2014, 07:52:44 pm

They may be 4th team snaps, heck, Duwop may take some snaps. Let's wait and see which team he takes snaps with.

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: ricepig on July 16, 2014, 07:10:38 pm
Way to easy for him to do that, it's much easier to take something negative, or perceived negative and run with it.

Good point.

Boardon Hamsay

Quote from: RallyPuppy on July 16, 2014, 07:43:25 pm
breaking news

D'Arthur Cowan was just named offensive coordinator

Quinta Funderburk was also named QB coach so that makes complete sense now.
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.

Boardon Hamsay

Quote from: RallyPuppy on July 16, 2014, 07:50:01 pm
the Memphis Commercial Appeal just reported AJ Derby will be our starting quarterback

I believe Jay Bilas tweeted the same thing. Must be something to it.
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.

BPsTheMan

Quote from: Darrell Royal's Floating Flaming Fulminating Spectral Head on July 16, 2014, 08:13:58 pm
I believe Jay Bilas tweeted the same thing. Must be something to it.

Bilas. pfft.. obviously in cahoots with that Commercial Appeal columnist

BPsTheMan

I CAN'T BELIEVE THE MEMPHIS COMMERCIAL APPEAL IS CAUSING THIS!!  >:(

Boardon Hamsay

Quote from: RallyPuppy on July 16, 2014, 08:17:39 pm
I CAN'T BELIEVE THE MEMPHIS COMMERCIAL APPEAL IS CAUSING THIS!!  >:(

I hear ya, man. Once they broke the story, everyone started piling on >:(

BPsTheMan

Quote from: Darrell Royal's Floating Flaming Fulminating Spectral Head on July 16, 2014, 08:20:17 pm
I hear ya, man. Once they broke the story, everyone started piling on >:(

I'd heard Geoff Calkins had the goods on CBB and would be blackmailing him later, but I'd assumed it wouldn't happen until like 2016 and stuff

>:(

Boardon Hamsay

Quote from: RallyPuppy on July 16, 2014, 08:24:56 pm
I'd heard Geoff Calkins had the goods on CBB and would be blackmailing him later, but I'd assumed it wouldn't happen until like 2016 and stuff

>:(

Probably goes back to CBB and Saban wanting to manage time. Calkins must be an Auburn grad.

Kevin

I am going off the deep end

If derby takes one snap at qb that is not a special package, then it is time for a new head coach
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

BPsTheMan

Quote from: Kevin on July 16, 2014, 08:30:27 pm
I am going off the deep end

If derby takes one snap at qb that is not a special package, then it is time for a new head coach

don't blame CBB

blame the Memphis Commercial Appeal