Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Any updates on backup QB's?

Started by verticalhog, July 16, 2014, 04:10:31 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

verticalhog

Let me start by stating that I think BA will have a much better year if he can stay healthy.  However, we all know any backup is one play away from starting.  We can all look at the spring game in terms of what's happening with AA and RP but there are people on this board who are close friends of players as well as the program generally.  My question is whether any of you have any knowledge (first hand or otherwise) of how AA and RP are developing over the summer?  Any insights on how the players relate to them as leaders?

ricepig

Quote from: verticalhog on July 16, 2014, 04:10:31 pm
Let me start by stating that I think BA will have a much better year if he can stay healthy.  However, we all know any backup is one play away from starting.  We can all look at the spring game in terms of what's happening with AA and RP but there are people on this board who are close friends of players as well as the program generally.  My question is whether any of you have any knowledge (first hand or otherwise) of how AA and RP are developing over the summer?  Any insights on how the players relate to them as leaders?

Practice starts August 4th, you'll have to wait like the rest of us, lol.....

verticalhog

nextlevel

AJ Derby will continue to take a few snaps during practice as QB this season.
Quote from: GUVHOG on March 07, 2011, 11:26:42 am
I'll make a prediction: If BCG were to get the Tennessee job, Calipari will be fired from UK within 2 years because from the 2013-2014 season on, Tennessee will own the SEC East until BCG moves on or retires.

ell oh ell

ricepig

Quote from: nextlevel on July 16, 2014, 04:16:07 pm
AJ Derby will continue to take a few snaps during practice as QB this season.

I realize he said that today, but I bet it's minimal and decreases/ends soon.

nextlevel

Quote from: ricepig on July 16, 2014, 04:18:28 pm
I realize he said that today, but I bet it's minimal and decreases/ends soon.

Unless he plan on using him like aTm did Tannehill, as a WR until needed at QB.

They are not going to burn RP's redshirt, AA will have to be capable of running the offense or what Derby do it if it comes down to that.

Derby did well against Rutgers, the WRs let him down in that game, but the WRs let the team down all season long.
I'll make a prediction: If BCG were to get the Tennessee job, Calipari will be fired from UK within 2 years because from the 2013-2014 season on, Tennessee will own the SEC East until BCG moves on or retires.

ell oh ell

PygmalionEffect

They interviewed the host of ESPNU football that will also be involved with the SEC network.  I don't remember his name but we see him on TV all the time and he seemed pretty knowledgeable of our team with the initial questions he was asked about us and you could tell he was trying to be positive yet also honest in his answers.

He made the comment something to the affect that he thought we were going to get there with Bret, but he wasn't too sure about our talent at Q.B.

Sounds like if B.A. has a good year it's going to be a surprise to many of the folks whose job it is to know about college football and specifically the SEC.  That was a little concerning because I don't think it was a biased opinion, positive or negative.

I guess we can hope that it turns out to be uninformed.
Pygmalion Effect - The phenomenon in which the greater the expectation placed upon people, the better they perform.

nextlevel

Quote from: PygmalionEffect on July 16, 2014, 04:27:15 pm
They interviewed the host of ESPNU football that will also be involved with the SEC network.  I don't remember his name but we see him on TV all the time and he seemed pretty knowledgeable of our team with the initial questions he was asked about us and you could tell he was trying to be positive yet also honest in his answers.

He made the comment something to the affect that he thought we were going to get there with Bret, but he wasn't too sure about our talent at Q.B.

Sounds like if B.A. has a good year it's going to be a surprise to many of the folks whose job it is to know about college football and specifically the SEC.  That was a little concerning because I don't think it was a biased opinion, positive or negative.

I guess we can hope that it turns out to be uninformed.

If it was Dari Nokaowa (or however you spell it), it is said he grew up a Hog fan in Tulsa.

ell oh ell

verticalhog

OK, let's suppose that BA is struggling after a few games and the coaches decide to give someone else a shot.  If a QB has good field vision and is a leader (think Joe Montana) he can often outperform another QB who has a great arm, footspeed, etc.  My question is whether anyone on the board has a sense/information as to which backup is viewed as more of a leader by his teammates?  I ask this because I have no clue about any of the backups in this regard.

lefty08

Quote from: verticalhog on July 16, 2014, 04:35:29 pm
OK, let's suppose that BA is struggling after a few games and the coaches decide to give someone else a shot.  If a QB has good field vision and is a leader (think Joe Montana) he can often outperform another QB who has a great arm, footspeed, etc.  My question is whether anyone on the board has a sense/information as to which backup is viewed as more of a leader by his teammates?  I ask this because I have no clue about any of the backups in this regard.

Austin Allen will be the back up
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged