Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

ESPN Films tabs Ralphie May as Celebrity Face of Hogs

Started by edemire, July 16, 2014, 02:56:06 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

edemire

An SEC Network documentary will debut in August profiling a celebrity fan for each of the SEC's 14 schools. #1 - I can't believe Vandy has such a fan. #2 - I was surprised that May was chosen to rep Arkansas. Who would have been a better choice, though? I know Steenbergen has been brought up in a previous thread, but I couldn't find much evidence of her publicly supporting the Hogs or wearing UA gear.

I think many people would have preferred the man May saw firsthand at a Hogs game in the early 1980s. He told the following story on the Ugly Uncle show:

Quote"Bill Clinton has got two hot, hot girls from Fayetteville with him, drunk and pawin' em," May recalled. "It's weird because later his inclination was toward fat girls ... We were like 'That's the governor of the state of Arkansas right there, making out with two chicks. Oh my God!' It was hilarious. Everybody got up to call the Hogs and Bill Clinton was making out with these girls... I never wanted to vote for a man more in my life."

That day, May took delight in more than Clinton's deft political touch and the game, which the Hogs won. He also recalled  post-game visits to Mr. Burger, where he was able to use ticket stubs to buy a cheeseburger, coke and fries for a mere $1. "Man, we'd go and knock them out. Oh God. That Mr. Burger was so good gettin' into my mouth, ohhh."

http://thesportsseer.com/2014/07/16/espn-tabs-450-pound-comedian-as-celebrity-face-of-the-razorbacks/
"Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes."
-Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey

Sed76

I've seen Billy Bob Thornton at a couple of games.

HeismanHawg

Wildhog

I really can't stand Ralphie May.  Just an obnoxious blob.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

Sooie71923

Justin Moore. He has a huge razorback on the back of his tour bus.

Jermaine Taylor.

Ralphie May?!

Steef

I assume they got Ashley Judd for Kentucky? And Sela Ward for Bama?

And we get THIS guy?

Grizzlyfan

I'm sure Texas got Matthew McConaughey.  We get Ralphie May.

Dwight_K_Shrute

Frank Bonner. What's more iconic than Herbs razorback coffee cup on WKRP?  Jermaine Taylor, or maybe the biggest celebrity fan of all Bill Clinton. I mean seriously is it that freaking hard. He11 Bobby Bones would have been a better choice
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

Hogwild

QuoteThe statement goes on to list some of the potential candidates: Charlie Daniels, Amy Robach, Jonathan Papelbon, Melissa Joan Hart, Emmitt Smith, Shepard Smith, Darius Rucker, James Carville and Governor Rick Perry.

Papelbon (State)
Shepard Smith (Ole Miss)
Gov. Perry (A&M)
Carville (LSU)
Emmit Smith (Flordia)
Rucker (South Carolina)
Charlie Daniels (UGA?)

who are the other 2 associated with?

SuperHog32

I can list at least 7 from the top of my head who would've been better.
in no particular order

Billy Bob Thorton
Justin Moore
Frank Bonner
Jermaine Taylor
Bill Clinton
Joe Nichols
John Freaking Daly

what's the tie to arkansas for ralphy may anyway?

motownhog

I think he's from Clarksville and went to U of A. I wish they would have chose Justin Moore, Jermaine Taylor or Clinton. 
I'm a grandson of the southland boys, an heir to the confederacy

The Kig

Quote from: SuperHog32 on July 16, 2014, 04:07:12 pm

He is from Arkansas... I think from Clarksville?  Heard him do a stand up bit a few years ago and he brought it up. 

He is a very funny guy... but agree that his brand of humor isn't for everyone.  Not sure how he got tabbed for this either.  He wasn't born in Arkansas, doesn't live there now, and he doesn't even pretend to represent the state. 
Poker Porker

WorfHog

Quote from: SuperHog32 on July 16, 2014, 04:07:12 pm
I can list at least 7 from the top of my head who would've been better.
in no particular order

Billy Bob Thorton
Justin Moore
Frank Bonner
Jermaine Taylor
Bill Clinton
Joe Nichols
John Freaking Daly

He actually attended the UofA.

PurpleBullHog

Got to agree that he isn't someone that I would want to represent the school or state.  Clinton would have been the obvious choice.  Taylor would have been another good one.  I'll be interested to see who they pick for the other schools. 

motownhog

Barners- Jason Duffer
UK- Ashley Judd
Bama- Melissa Joan Hart
aTm- Rick Perry
Methzou- some nascar driver
Vols- Charlie Daniels
I'm a grandson of the southland boys, an heir to the confederacy

Paul

SPAL

rusvegashog

I'm fine w it. I've heard May talk about calling and loving the Hogs. JD seems like the logical choice.

The Boar War

go hogues

Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

hawgbawb

Put a pig snout on that dude and let him dance during halftime.
I post, therefor I am.
John Highsmith Adams rocks.

The Boar War

July 16, 2014, 05:14:20 pm #21 Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 05:38:02 pm by The Boar War
Quote from: The Kig on July 16, 2014, 04:12:35 pm
He is from Arkansas... I think from Clarksville?  Heard him do a stand up bit a few years ago and he brought it up. 

He is a very funny guy... but agree that his brand of humor isn't for everyone.  Not sure how he got tabbed for this either.  He wasn't born in Arkansas, doesn't live there now, and he doesn't even pretend to represent the state. 

But he did need money and Espn needed a stereotype

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on July 16, 2014, 03:49:11 pm
Frank Bonner. What's more iconic than Herbs razorback coffee cup on WKRP?  Jermaine Taylor, or maybe the biggest celebrity fan of all Bill Clinton. I mean seriously is it that freaking hard. He11 Bobby Bones would have been a better choice

A better choice for who?  Whoever put this together had to go through a long list of people to come up with somebody who typifies what some people think about when they think Arkansas.  Who knows maybe the others wanted too much money.  Melissa Joan Hart doesnt necessarily come to mind when I think about Alabama.

ImHogginIt

As usual a bunch of douchebags post in a Hogville thread.

Ralphie May is hilarious and he loves the Hogs  :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: ImHogginIt on July 16, 2014, 06:32:57 pm
As usual a bunch of douchebags post in a Hogville thread.

Ralphie May is hilarious and he loves the Hogs   :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:

So does the guy who takes off his shirt and swings around during the William Tell Overture at BWA. But we don't want him as the Celebrity Face of the Hogs.
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

ImHogginIt

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on July 16, 2014, 06:55:56 pm
So does the guy who takes off his shirt and swings around during the William Tell Overture at BWA. But we don't want him as the Celebrity Face of the Hogs.

A bunch of you would bitch no matter who they selected.

chitwnhog

Quote from: The Kig on July 16, 2014, 04:12:35 pm

Ralphie has good management.

verticalhog

Ralphie is a foul-mouthed comedian.  He is funny at times but presents a stereotype that is negative towards Arkansas (fat redneck).  As others have said, the obvious choice would be Clinton.  This really does give the appearance that ESPN wants to perpetuate the stereotype of Arkansas as a very backward state full of obese slobs.  Why not the two term President who would win another term in a landslide if he were allowed to run again?

Dr. Starcs

SquidBilly

Richard Karn would have been a better choice.  Who doesn't love Al Borland.

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: ImHogginIt on July 16, 2014, 07:36:08 pm
A bunch of you would bitch no matter who they selected.

No. That is not true. Why would you want a foul-mouthed slob representing our University when there are so many better choices?

Sed76

Quote from: Bret Squealema on July 16, 2014, 07:56:51 pm
Richard Karn would have been a better choice.  Who doesn't love Al Borland.

What is his connection to the Razorbacks?

Pigsear

Ray Piggers

I'm basically Darkwing Duck

ImHogginIt

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on July 16, 2014, 08:04:28 pm
No. That is not true. Why would you want a foul-mouthed slob representing our University when there are so many better choices?
It is true. No matter who was selected there would be plenty of negative, pessimistic Hog fans here bitching about the selection.

Ray Piggers

I'm basically Darkwing Duck

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: ImHogginIt on July 16, 2014, 08:30:52 pm
It is true. No matter who was selected there would be plenty of negative, pessimistic Hog fans here bitching about the selection.

Maybe from others, but don't single me out as being one of them.

Hogpkins

As for not choosing Clinton, I'm guessing not a lot of A-list stars signed up for this. At least judging from all the representatives, they look more like B-list, or worse.

ImHogginIt

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on July 16, 2014, 08:39:08 pm
Maybe from others, but don't single me out as being one of them.

Really ? Even though you are one of them up above bitching about the selection ? LOL

Tom in Fort Worth

He is absolutely hilarious. But yeah I agree it seems an odd choice.

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: ImHogginIt on July 16, 2014, 08:30:52 pm
Quote from: ImHogginIt on July 16, 2014, 08:50:02 pm
Really ? Even though you are one of them up above bitching about the selection ? LOL

No, you implied that I would bitch about the selection "no matter who was selected". Which just isn't true.

rusvegashog

Stereotypes? Ralphie is as about as far from a redneck as one can be to be from the south. No one on that list fits the bill like Big John does. He would have been my choice, but I like Ralphie. Born in Tenner, but raised up in Arkansas and is a Hog fan. We should be celebrating when one of our own makes it big instead we take to name calling like a bunch of teenage girls. This from the same people that bash recruits for leaving the state.

The Boar War

SquidBilly

Quote from: Sed76 on July 16, 2014, 08:05:00 pm
What is his connection to the Razorbacks?

He doesn't have one but I saw him at a Razorback game once.  :)

Dr. Starcs

OnTheHillHogFan

Quote from: JaketheSnake on November 07, 2012, 10:28:17 am
Shoot the Obama deer... the ones that come for the free corn.
Quote from: ReddieHawg on November 06, 2013, 09:38:24 am
Do you happen to have any rapping skills? I think we could set you up with DJ Khaled and you could make a song entitled, "All I Do Is Bitch"

BPsTheMan

WizardofhOgZ

This is the guy.  I'm not a country music fan, per se, but he's an accomplished performer and unabashed Hog fan.

http://www.joenichols.com/

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: HeismanHawg on July 16, 2014, 03:28:16 pm
Anyone else would have probably been better.

Agreed.  This is like having Billy Carter--not a win.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

NaturalStateReb

"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

"Pickled" Pig's Pete

Can't believe anyone hasn't mentioned this as an option:

Kobe Tai

Quote from: salebow on November 27, 2011, 08:39:55 pm
It made be a forum, but spelling and punctuation tell a lot about a person. Also, I usually post from my iPhone, too. I don't have a problem with using good spelling and punctuation.