Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Dari Nowkah interviews Coach

Started by ldfergu, July 16, 2014, 02:03:11 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ldfergu

Good interview.  Reading between the lines it sounded like Coach has worked with Brandon Allen on pre snap reads.  He knows teams are going to load the box against a team that was atrocious passing the football last year.  This presents an opportunity for BA and he needs to understands his teammate's advantages on the field.

IMO, "between the ears" is where BA has struggled the most.  I know he's worked on his mechanics this offseason but I really hope his understanding of the game, specifically defensive reads, has improved the most.  If so, we could be much better than people are giving us credit.

:razorback: :razorback: :razorback:

wstill3

Any excerpts for those of us unable to listen?

TNhawgfan

Coach really talked up how everything is going up except for the wins - GPA, community involvement, no off the field issues. Said it's time now for the wins to come
I'd rather be dead than be a Vol

bigbadhog

Quote from: TNhawgfan on July 16, 2014, 02:21:09 pm
Coach really talked up how everything is going up except for the wins - GPA, community involvement, no off the field issues. Said it's time now for the wins to come

He is right, it is time for wins to come...
Thanks for the WINS Coach Petrino!

TNhawgfan

He was asked if he thought he was given a fair shot from the fans. His response was there are a few out there (probably on hogville) who are vocal in opposition, but overall, the Hog fans have been great
I'd rather be dead than be a Vol

ldfergu

Coach said one of the surprises about the SEC was how much the depth the league has, how some teams draft lots of NFL talent.

Said how the coaching staff and players needed last year to learn from one another and for adjusting moving forward

Biggest offseason focus was communication.  Talked about "Hogenese"

Coach wants to see what BA does with all other 10 guys in the huddle.  Said last year BA was too worried about what BA was doing..

Spoke about how his offensive philosophy allows QB's to identify when the box is loaded and change to something else.

Said the losses provided an opportunity to "grow and learn." 

hobhog

Quote from: StoneTemplePiglets on July 16, 2014, 02:30:45 pm
Coach said one of the surprises about the SEC was how much the depth the league has, how some teams draft lots of NFL talent.

Said how the coaching staff and players needed last year to learn from one another and for adjusting moving forward

Coach wants to see what BA does with all other 10 guys in the huddle.  Said last year BA was too worried about what BA was doing..

Spoke about how his offensive philosophy allows QB's to identify when the box is loaded and change to something else.

And more importantly, when asked what message he would like to send:

"Stay the course".

He isnt panicing, and neither are his players or Long. I think we see great improvement this year.

ldfergu

Quote from: hobhog on July 16, 2014, 02:34:03 pm
And more importantly, when asked what message he would like to send:

"Stay the course".

He isnt panicing, and neither are his players or Long. I think we see great improvement this year.

And, if not this year, it will happen.  It was frustrating watching the transition last year but it will get better each and every game.

Also, forgot to include that Dari asked him how do we win at Arkansas trying to copy the style of LSU and Alabama??  To me, as long as we get to a point we are in the same conversation as those teams, we will be very successful.  You don't beat those teams every year but to simply contend with the powerhouses of the SEC each year will eventually pay off.

Huckleberry Pig

trust CBB but would really like to see us hire a true QB coach.  we've had this argument before so I know I'm beating a dead horse but I wish one of our media personnel would ask him why we don't have one. 

Other than that I don't have any complaints and I think we are going in the right direction.  Hoping it translates into more wins this year (I believe it will).

WPS

rusvegashog

I'm ignorant when it comes to this topic^^^^. Are QB coaches like basketball practice facilities? Everyone has one but us.

nextlevel

Quote from: rusvegashog on July 16, 2014, 10:26:19 pm
I'm ignorant when it comes to this topic^^^^. Are QB coaches like basketball practice facilities? Everyone has one but us.

No.

The better question would be what position coach do you get rid of to allow a QB coach to be on staff.
Quote from: GUVHOG on March 07, 2011, 11:26:42 am
I'll make a prediction: If BCG were to get the Tennessee job, Calipari will be fired from UK within 2 years because from the 2013-2014 season on, Tennessee will own the SEC East until BCG moves on or retires.

ell oh ell

rusvegashog

I didn't think they did. So many of these guys seek outside tutelage and either have it or they don't, but it's not from lack of preparation I don't think, but what do I know. So who works w them on feet placement and arm angles etc. that is on staff. Chaney?

PorkRinds

Quote from: rusvegashog on July 16, 2014, 10:51:33 pm
I didn't think they did. So many of these guys seek outside tutelage and either have it or they don't, but it's not from lack of preparation I don't think, but what do I know. So who works w them on feet placement and arm angles etc. that is on staff. Chaney?

Yes, the QB coach.

rusvegashog

I see what you did there. Fair enough.

nextlevel

Quote from: PorkRinds on July 16, 2014, 10:59:14 pm
Yes, the QB coach.

In 06 Arkansas has two "QB gurus" on staff in Alex Woods and Gus Malzahn.

Casey Dick improved dramatically, statistically, in 07 under David Lee.

So was it the QB coaching or the better WR corp as a whole and being a junior instead of a sophomore?
I'll make a prediction: If BCG were to get the Tennessee job, Calipari will be fired from UK within 2 years because from the 2013-2014 season on, Tennessee will own the SEC East until BCG moves on or retires.

ell oh ell

Jek Tono Porkins

We should see how BA does this year before pining for a QB coach.

Last year is not a good reference because his shoulder was screwed up.

I will say that last year it always seemed like BA took about a half second too long to throw the ball. He has a lightning quick release but hopefully he can find the open man quicker.
I have known the troubles I was born to know
I have wanted things a poor man's born to want
And in all my dreams and memories I go running
Through the fields of Arkansas from which I sprung

PorkRinds

Quote from: sevenof400 on July 17, 2014, 02:50:26 pm
Is there an NCAA limit on the number of staff or something like that which currently prevents the addition of a QB coach?

Yes.

Hoggish1

During his SEC podium time he said as much when he revealed that at WI they were best when people loaded the box to stop the run.  The opportunities are far more advantageous to the O when D's do this, provided the QB can take advantage.

I think Allen will this year.  If he can't, he won't be out there very long.

Hoggish1

Quote from: Huckleberry Pig on July 16, 2014, 02:53:22 pm
trust CBB but would really like to see us hire a true QB coach.  we've had this argument before so I know I'm beating a dead horse but I wish one of our media personnel would ask him why we don't have one. 

Other than that I don't have any complaints and I think we are going in the right direction.  Hoping it translates into more wins this year (I believe it will).

WPS

Do you know if CBB ever had a QB coach at WI?  If not, no need to have one here.

ricepig

Quote from: sevenof400 on July 17, 2014, 03:10:17 pm
What about a volunteer coach?  Does the same limit apply?

Alabama has fortyeleven coaches, they just call them some other name. The only problem is you are limited to the ones who can actually be coaching on the sidelines during games.

nextlevel

Quote from: ricepig on July 17, 2014, 03:12:06 pm
Alabama has fortyeleven coaches, they just call them some other name. The only problem is you are limited to the ones who can actually be coaching on the sidelines during games.

And have player interactions during practice and on the recruiting trail.

Barry Lunney Jr. was the QB coach at Tulsa and the OC/QB coach at San Jose St. and Bentonville HS.

So he and Chaney both have experience on the college level in coaching QBs.

I'm not sure exactly how CBB assigns the role, but he does have two capable coaches on staff to share in the responsibilities. 

ell oh ell

Huckleberry Pig

Quote from: Hoggish1 on July 17, 2014, 03:11:47 pm
Do you know if CBB ever had a QB coach at WI?  If not, no need to have one here.

Not sure but just because he didn't have one there doesn't mean there is no need to have one here.  Change can be a good thing ya know.

I just know if I had a son who was a big time QB recruit there is no way in hell i'd send him to a school that didn't have a true QB coach (whose sole job was to work with the QB and be there for him on the sidelines to help him during games).  It's only the most important position on the field.  That's all I'm sayin.

PorkRinds

Quote from: Huckleberry Pig on July 17, 2014, 04:29:18 pm
Not sure but just because he didn't have one there doesn't mean there is no need to have one here.  Change can be a good thing ya know.

I just know if I had a son who was a big time QB recruit there is no way in hell i'd send him to a school that didn't have a true QB coach (whose sole job was to work with the QB and be there for him on the sidelines to help him during games).  It's only the most important position on the field.  That's all I'm sayin.
Then Alabama would be out of the question. And FSU, because their QB coach is co-offensive coordinator. You'd be screwing your kid over.

Oklahawg

Aha, more digs at Jim Chaney.

The haters act like CBB is knowingly going around with a handicap. He fixed that on defense, doncha know?
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

redswarmrising

Quote from: Jek Tono Porkins on July 16, 2014, 11:04:47 pm
We should see how BA does this year before pining for a QB coach.

Last year is not a good reference because his shoulder was screwed up.

I will say that last year it always seemed like BA took about a half second too long to throw the ball. He has a lightning quick release but hopefully he can find the open man quicker.

BA's biggest issue has always been staring down receivers.that needs to be fixed or he'll never succeed as a QB

not trying to hate on him but he's way to easy for opposing DB's to read

PorkRinds

Quote from: redswarmrising on July 18, 2014, 07:49:11 am

BA's biggest issue has always been staring down receivers.that needs to be fixed or he'll never succeed as a QB

not trying to hate on him but he's way to easy for opposing DB's to read

I know someone told you that but it isn't true...

footballfan

Quote from: StoneTemplePiglets on July 16, 2014, 02:30:45 pm

This worries the hell out of me. When we hired CBB, the following things were true:

1). Every team had won a bowl game in the last six years.

2). Every SEC team had finished Ranked in the last six years.

3). 13 of 14 SEC teams had a top 15 finish in the last six years.

4). 11 of the 14 teams had a ten win season in the previous six years.

5). 10 of the 14 teams had a top ten finish in the last six years.

6). 10 of the 14 teams had a top 5 finish in the previous six years.

7). 8 of 14 SEC teams had been to a bcs bowl- 7 in the last six years.

8. 6 different teams have won the SEC.

9). 5 different teams have won 9 bcs championships.

10). The SEC puts out more draft picks than any other conference.

If he didn't realize the depth of the SEC, then he is too dumb to have spent ten minutes on google.

SPAL

Quote from: footballfan on July 18, 2014, 01:48:10 pm
This worries the hell out of me. When we hired CBB, the following things were true:

1). Every team had won a bowl game in the last six years.

2). Every SEC team had finished Ranked in the last six years.

3). 13 of 14 SEC teams had a top 15 finish in the last six years.

4). 11 of the 14 teams had a ten win season in the previous six years.

5). 10 of the 14 teams had a top ten finish in the last six years.

6). 10 of the 14 teams had a top 5 finish in the previous six years.

7). 8 of 14 SEC teams had been to a bcs bowl- 7 in the last six years.

8. 6 different teams have won the SEC.

9). 5 different teams have won 9 bcs championships.

10). The SEC puts out more draft picks than any other conference.

If he didn't realize the depth of the SEC, then he is too dumb to have spent ten minutes on google.

I had always heard a kidney stone hurt like hades. As a healthcare professional, i had taken care of people with them and had learned about them in school so i had a pretty good idea of what to expect if i ever got one myself.....Then I experienced it for myself and it was way worse than even I had thought it would be.

footballfan

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on July 18, 2014, 02:14:49 pm
I had always heard a kidney stone hurt like hades. As a healthcare professional, i had taken care of people with them and had learned about them in school so i had a pretty good idea of what to expect if i ever got one myself.....Then I experienced it for myself and it was way worse than even I had thought it would be.

I can accept that (you really hit home with the kidney stone analogy- those things are awful!)

The Kig

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on July 18, 2014, 02:14:49 pm

This... great analogy.   Was he shocked by what he saw when he went through the season last year?  No, but there is nothing that can prepare you for living something vs. watching it from the outside. 

Also, to some degree, I think part of what he said there was coachspeak.  He did his homework before coming to the SEC.  He wanted to show that he can compete in the toughest league in America.  I think the only shock that he may have had was just how much the wheels had started to come off here. 
Poker Porker

Speedracer

Most important position on the team, no reason to not have a QB coach
Like smites bother me.