Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Coaches sure do talk a lot about rankings

Started by Music City Hog, July 16, 2014, 01:21:25 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Music City Hog

I've always maintained I'm more of an offer guy than stars and rankings guy, however, you hear tons of these coaches at SEC media days talk about them at the podium.  I've heard several coaches referring to their "top 10 rated freshman class coming in". Miles just talked about Fournette and how he was the #1 ranked tailback in high school.  Butch Jones talked about Von Pearson being the number 2 ranked JUCO WR.  Spurrier talking about rankings when referring to Bama etc. 

It's pretty clear that these coaches are paying quite a bit of attention to stars, rankings, etc despite them all saying they don't at the introductory interviews upon being hired. 

Tim Harris

They have to have something to talk about right now.  The only other alternative would be to talk about how good your offense looked against your defense in the spring game.

Now days it seems like offers and rankings pretty much go together.  If you have one you will usually have the other.

Hawgey-Davidson

The coachs talk about it because its all the simpleton fans want or care to hear.

Huds_HawgTide

I disagree...they are born and bred to be competitive...gives them one more aspect to try and beat their competition
"you can get a good look at a t-bone by sticking your head up a bulls ass, but id rather just take the butchers word for it" tom callahan
tommy boy

"Don't leave and be FROM Arkansas, stay and BE Arkansas" --coach jimmy dykes

"Going to mcd's for a salad is like going to a brothel for a hug"

ricepig

Quote from: Hawgey-Davidson on July 16, 2014, 01:30:47 pm
The coachs talk about it because its all the simpleton fans want or care to hear.

This ^^^^^ they know the minions keep up with this almost as much as the actual game. I included myself in the minions group as I notice it too.

Grizzlyfan

Despite the fact that so many want to say it loudly, nobody really believes that recruiting rankings are meaningless.  They aren't perfect, but they certainly have meaning.

hawgwash

Coaches with highly ranked classes talk about rankings more than coaches with lowly ranked classes.

Music City Hog

Quote from: hawgwash on July 16, 2014, 03:27:30 pm
Coaches with highly ranked classes talk about rankings more than coaches with lowly ranked classes.

True story

redeye

Do you really expect them not to take every opportunity to promote their players?  Especially at a huge press conference like the SEC media days?

I'm sure they do pay some attention to ratings, but you're working hard to stir this pot, imo.

Beaverfever

they know the average fans/recruits love it so they will gladly brag about it if they have something to brag about. 

MiHogsMi

Quote from: hawgwash on July 16, 2014, 03:27:30 pm

Yes, and may I also add that fans of teams with lowly ranked classes often poo-poo the ranking system itself because their envy causes irrational justifications to then be espoused.
I don't view The University of Arkansas Football Program as Mr. CBB's personal Petri dish to experiment and tinker with for HIS pleasure and learning curve.